• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 is pretty damn FUN!

MYE

Capcom went all out. This game is HUGE holy shit.
Been playing Leon campaign for hours and you are saying I have 3 more character story campaigns to go through outside of other arcade modes? Goddamn

Gameplay also deserves a mention. Its fun to play. Like, really fun!
I pushed the camera all the way back, customized HUD/controls, turned on the auto-QTE thingy and I'm having a BLAST performing melee moves, cycling through satisfying weapons/bombs/etc and shooting with that great RE4+ style of gameplay.
Yeah its not scary, but its damn awesome. So much to see and do. Really satisfying combat mechanics and a shitload of variation in locations and gameplay situations.
Yes it embraces arcadeyness more than other main games but it does it very well. The chapters are huge slices of gameplay that feel very inviting in terms of revisiting them later for better scores.

In a world were people spin MGS4 into being some sort of misunderstood masterpiece, calling RE6 terrible and bloated is a huge fucking disservice!
Sure, its trying to do a million things, but so far its pulling it off a billion times better than Kojima's amusing at best GOTY10/10 train wreck.

Did I mention graphics? Game is also very pretty and seems to look better and better as I go. Caracter models and animations are pretty damn impressive.
So far I wish I ignored the backlash and bad reviews.

Its big, its loud and I'm loving it!

For what its worth, I think RE4 is a masterpiece and didn't even bother finishing RE5.

We have same tastes, sir. RE4 is my fav game in the series so far (never liked the older REs), but I greatly enjoyed RE6. Really liked it. I thought I was the only one on earth who liked it :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yep. I love every single minute of it except the forced camera sections where you have to run fast, those are bad. The combat mechanics are great. I don't consider it a Resident Evil game at all, because it really isn't, save for the characters. But it's just fun

Seyavesh

a new re6 thread? yesssssssssss

begin gif barrage now:
ix3Hm96uSjio2.gif

Arttemis

Why? Now you got a game you like for much cheaper. It's the same game it was- actually no, they did manage to improve the camera slightly because of the unanimous backlash.

The rest is definitely a loudly shouted opinion, alright.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it is!

Glad you can see the game for what it is. It's not a survival horror game, it's not old school RE, it's a balls-to-the-wall action shooter in the vein of Vanquish. Just dodge and slide and suplex all day long and you'll never get bored of it.

Andrew.

Banned
I really liked what I had played of Leons campaign. The "Vanquish-esque" moveset really was something else. I loved diving backwards and rolling on the ground.

Also the main menu music is awesome.

Gbraga

Yep, needs more Wesker and Jill though.

I've seen a Jill mod to replace Helena, is there one to swap Jake for Wesker?

jrush64

Banned
Yes its awesome. Very fun game with some bad design decisions but still plays way better than most action games. Its a blast.

This right here is the best way to put it. Wasn't perfect by any means but was a blast to play in co-op.

I also found some of the mutations to be really gross...

joe2187

Banned
Sadly most people dont experience the fun in the combat since it's not explained very well. But there is an amazing TPS game underneath it's shitty campaign.

RE5/RE6 was made for co-op and mercenaries.

I dont get the hate for RE5 either, it was one of my most played games last gen.

I haven't Vanquish but out of all the third person shooters I have played Resident Evil 6 has the best combat mechanics by far. The characters have a ton of mobility and the controls are really responsive. Dodging is so much fun in this game.

I played Jake and Sherry's campaign with my sister and the rest solo. We had a lot of fun though and plan to co-op the rest.

Underrated as fuck, specially after the patches. The Chris campaign is the lowest part of it but it's still never that bad aside from a couple cramped shooting sections.

Leon and Ada campaigns were a blast from start to finish.
It is good, but not worthy of the Resident Evil name.
It's more worthy than RE5 will ever be.

Neiteio

The update is great (customizable camera, game automatically does QTEs when enabled, etc). I always thought the full game was solid. I hated the demo at first, but after trying it twice more on a whim, it clicked.

Here's the "tips and tricks" guide I wrote back when it first came out. The way I see it, the game has rough pacing but excellent core mechanics -- some of the best in a TPS this side of Vanquish. Like Vanquish, taking cover is for refilling your stamina only; otherwise, you should be diving and sliding and rolling into the thick of the fray, stunning enemies with a quick shot to the face and then finishing with a melee move. Knowing tricks like how to paint targets for your AI companion or how to auto-mix herbs are essential to shining in Mercs, where the gameplay is at its best.

The campaign pacing is the only downside. The game could've benefitted from 1) a proper tutorial, and 2) some quiet downtime in-between set-pieces. As it stands, it feels a tad rushed in its pacing. Also, the limited visibility of Jake's second chapter is a frustrating gimmick.

All in all, though, great game.

I bought it semi-cheap on 360 after hearing about how good it is from the handful of people who actually liked it. Haven't played it yet.

After a while, I subbed this thread for later reading, but I still haven't played it yet.

The next step is probably getting it for dirt cheap on steam, and then not playing it even then lol. =(

HeelPower

1)Boring , overly long boss fights that cause frustration more than anything.

2)Worst plot in RE history,mostly unlikable characters, weak villian,

3)Controls offer some depth but are equally frustrating and not intuitive

4)Health items and Ammo drop are just plain annoying in this game.Sometimes they are needlessly sparse and let's not pretend this is survival horror....

5)useless cover system

6)zero level design, hallways hallways hallways

7)actually hit detection kind of sucked and doesn't feel as good as RE5...

8)QTE awful as someone who played at launch...what were they thinking ?

News Bot

Banned
1)Boring , overly long boss fights that cause frustration more than anything.

2)Worst plot in RE history,mostly unlikable characters, weak villian,

3)Controls offer some depth but are equally frustrating and not intuitive

4)Health items and Ammo drop are just plain annoying in this game.Sometimes they are needlessly sparse and let's not pretend this is survival horror....

5)useless cover system

6)zero level design, hallways hallways hallways

Pretty much all this and then some.

Mercenaries is pretty damn amazing in this installment though. The campaigns are complete and utter garbage.

Leon's campaign is the best of the bunch, so don't get your hopes up for the rest of the game being as good.

That said, it feels like the Star Fox Assault of Resident Evil games. It's not bad, it's just incredibly average and far too close to what came before it. It's worth a 10 dollar buy.

Adam Blue

Amazing combat system!

i9WQT4wWThxAM.gif

iGL6YRgGRcssb.gif

I initially hated 5 (decided to go through it anyway), but love 6 despite some horribly boring campaign pacing.

I played every mainline RE out there and I liked it a lot. It wasn't perfect but it didn't deserve the hate it got here and from some reviewers. Was it Polygon that gave it a 3/10? Shit like that is just ridiculous and I'll say again, irresponsible as a reviewer.

Gbraga

I don't know about that, I'll agree with you that the animations aren't nearly as satisfying, but the actual detections are great, so many setups for melee finishers and coup de grace...

Completely agree with 1, 2 and 6. Don't think 4 is a bad thing at all, actually the only reason I don't wish it wasn't there is because it's another way to replenish stamina other than just laying down.

I did like the Ustanak and HAOS boss fights though.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant I don't think 5 is a bad thing.

Muffdraul

The demo turned me off after just a few minutes and I had no intention of playing the full game. But of course once I saw it for $20 I decided what the hell. I don't think I got much further in the full game than I did in the demo. I keep telling myself I'll go back to it someday, give it another chance.

For the record, I'm not a huge RE4 fan either. I think it's a good game in and of itself, but personally I didn't appreciate them taking RE in that direction. When I think "Say, I feel like playing RE right now," I'll reach for RE0 before I reach for RE4.

Zincalloy

Banned
Capcom went all out. This game is HUGE holy shit.
Been playing Leon campaign for hours and you are saying I have 3 more character story campaigns to go through outside of other arcade modes? Goddamn

Gameplay also deserves a mention. Its fun to play. Like, really fun!
I pushed the camera all the way back, customized HUD/controls, turned on the auto-QTE thingy and I'm having a BLAST performing melee moves, cycling through satisfying weapons/bombs/etc and shooting with that great RE4+ style of gameplay.
Yeah its not scary, but its damn awesome. So much to see and do. Really satisfying combat mechanics and a shitload of variation in locations and gameplay situations.
Yes it embraces arcadeyness more than other main games but it does it very well. The chapters are huge slices of gameplay that feel very inviting in terms of revisiting them later for better scores.

In a world were people spin MGS4 into being some sort of misunderstood masterpiece, calling RE6 terrible and bloated is a huge fucking disservice!
Sure, its trying to do a million things, but so far its pulling it off a billion times better than Kojima's amusing at best GOTY10/10 train wreck.

Did I mention graphics? Game is also very pretty and seems to look better and better as I go. Caracter models and animations are pretty damn impressive.

Its big, its loud and I'm loving it!

For what its worth, I think RE4 is a masterpiece and didn't even bother finishing RE5.

I platinumed part 5 because I did like it that much. I've played every single main RE (except 0, I don't dig prequels) and I loved 6. ESPECIALLY co-op with the wife. She loves it.

I thought the game was horrible and I'm a fan of all the previous Resident Evils (including RE5 which was pretty good IMO)

-The Chris Redfield and "other guy played by Troy Baker" missions were boring attempts to mimic Gears of War and Uncharted
-The Leon missions were okay but weren't 1/10th as good as RE4 IMO
-The story was terrible
-The camera perspective was bad (they had to patch the game in order to change it)
-The QTEs......*shakes fist*

Top Bottom