• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What made Resident Evil 4 the "perfect" game and caused RE5/6 to "falter"?

I'm reading the RE Revelations 2 info, and I'm finding it hard to muster excitement cause none of the RE games after RE4 have left me excited or happy. Just bored or frustrated. I played RE5 and quit and I played RE6 about... 2/3 of the way (through all the campaigns) and then quit. I haven't played the first Revelations if you're wondering.

I mean, that RE4 magic just wasn't there. Why not?

Anth0ny

Dn7IaQ9.jpg

RE4 was not just the best RE game but one of the best game of all time. The level design the game play, the pacing, everything was damn perfect. I had hard time finding any game better than that let alone another RE game.

RE4 generally had much, much better level/encounter design and pacing than the other games. Simple but incredibly important stuff like enemy placement, understanding difficulty, and so on.

It's worth pointing out that it had much, much longer to receive that kind of essential polish. Also, Shinji Mikami.

Rembrandt

Banned
Idk, because RE5 was pretty great, although RE4 has one of the best beginnings ever. Introduces enemies well, it's tense and exciting.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
It was the "Hollywood blockbuster" mentality Capcom took on after RE4. In other words, each sequel "has to go bigger."

Leadership, Resident Evil 6 feels like it was made by several different teams that didn't communicate with eachother. Although both are not horrible games by any means. RE5 art is fantastic, in some respects better than some games right now. RE6 Gameplay/combat system is much much better than any previous RE game, mercenaries alone is worth RE6

Renekton

Usually when sequel ventures into a different direction, hardcore fans tend to overvalue the traits of their favorite version, and mountain-molehill the sequel's shortcomings.

E.g.: Morrowind, Baldur's Gate 2, RE4, DS1, DMC3, Halo series, CoD series, etc etc.

EDIT: Nvm ignore me, OP shot himself in the foot with a Red9

Just out of curiosity op, what makes re4 the best game out of the rest?

And to answer your question I think 4(especially) was when it went to crap.

G-Fex

I'm reading the RE Revelations 2 info, and I'm finding it hard to muster excitement cause none of the RE games after RE4 have left me excited or happy. Just bored or frustrated. I played RE5 and quit and I played RE6 about... 2/3 of the way (through all the campaigns) and then quit. I haven't played the first Revelations if you're wondering.

I mean, that RE4 magic just wasn't there. Why not?

magic? I don't know, I thought it was pretty dull.

how are you on gaf jeez

I've never asked myself that until this minute.

Just out of curiosity op, what makes re4 the best game out of the rest?

And to answer your question I think 4(especially) was when it went to crap.

The atmosphere was amazing. The boss fights were terrifying and tough (most, not all, on my first playthrough). Leon was hilarious, and the story was ludicrously over the top, so enjoyable. Shooting things felt so goddamn good. The game was visually stunning (still looks fantastic). The game was really long but it had such great pacing. It was just a fantastic package.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Resident Evil 4 had atmosphere, fixed a number of control problems the previous Resident Evils had, and most importantly was well paced.

5 and 6 had none of those qualities for me, except for 5's Gold Edition extra mission.

Seyavesh

i just realized i've never seen shinji mikami before

that is not what i expected, though i'm not really sure exactly i expected either

The atmosphere was amazing. The boss fights were terrifying and tough (most, not all, on my first playthrough). Leon was hilarious, and the story was ludicrously over the top, so enjoyable. Shooting things felt so goddamn good. The game was visually stunning (still looks fantastic). The game was really long but it had such great pacing. It was just a fantastic package.

RE5 pretty much had everything you listed except atmosphere, which is subjective. Give it another shot.

The only reason anyone gives a shit about Evil Within is because it's made by the Resident Evil guy, Shinji Mikami

You must not have been in many of the recent threads for the game. Most people are interested in the game because it looks awesome, and GAF preview impressions have been extremely positive.

Really smart, and consistently good counter design. A healthy amount of atmosphere without going into pure horror territory. Excellent pacing and use of downtime in the campaign. And plenty of replay value thanks to the excellently handled upgrade system.

RE6 does have the better game mechanics, and people who value co-op more will want to play 5 or 6. But RE4's campaign is much more interesting to progress through, and rarely ever has the kind of poor moments that plague the two later games.

Stimpack

Fallout went to shit. Xenoblade was nowhere near the quality of 90's JRPGs. Resident Evil 4 was the downfall of the entire series.

God, I feel so alone.

DSix

Banned
RE5 pretty much had everything you listed except atmosphere, which is subjective. Give it another shot.

Even more than you think. RE5 is pretty much a series of carbon-copies of RE4 set-pieces, except in coop this time (and with a lot of little things slightly worse). Hardly the creative spark of legends.

jackb2424

Banned
For me it was the hype of Claire and Chris in a jet at the end of Code Veronica vowing to finish off Umbrella that had got me hyped for RE4. I have been an RE fan from day 1. I remember all the hype and early RE4 demos, the one with the hook guy. Even then it looked awesome. I bought a Gamecube primarily for the RE series.

RE4 at the time just got everything right. The weapons, the shooting, the inventory system, the graphics, and the enemies were all above what I was expecting. And man was this game long. TLOU and Uncharted 2 are the only games in recent years that have such excellent pace much like RE4.

Also I think RE4 was the first of its kind in the 3rd person genre. The way bullets reacted to enemies, was phenomenal. The Mine Dart was the coolest weapon ever. Exploration and level of detail were never seen at that time. I never got to try the HD version. Maybe I should. I cannot wait to dive back in to the REmake HD version when it comes out.

I hope Capcom can go back and realize what made this series so awesome becuse RE5 andRE6 were nothing like the other games for me. Too much shooting and explosions going on. The story is now all over the place and I just don't care about the characters. I know they were trying to capture the western audience but they already had me. I don't know why they strayed so much from a proven formula in RE1-4

Dio

Banned
Fallout went to shit. Xenoblade was nowhere near the quality of 90's JRPGs. Resident Evil 4 was the downfall of the entire series.

God, I feel so alone.
Don't worry, you're not the only one that feels that way. One of my closest friends shares that exact same set of feelings, and I haven't played either Xenoblade or RE4 so I can't make that assumption but since we share a lot of opinions I have a feeling I'd be the same way

I understand its a great game, I liked it myself, I do not however feel it as a resident evil game. It was way too linear and the boss fights? Really? Over ridiculous boss fights that happen every couple chapters. It made a game that can be seen to be "realistic" in a way(experiments on humans/animals that can go horribly wrong) aside from William. to over the top giants or humans that turn into spiders or whatever the las plagas virus made them turn into?

Did you ever get to play the remake on the GameCube? What do you think about it compared to resident evil 4?

I understand its a great game, I liked it myself, I do not however feel it as a resident evil game. It was way too linear and the boss fights? Really? Over ridiculous boss fights that happen every couple chapters. It made a game that can be seen to be "realistic" in a way(experiments on humans/animals that can go horribly wrong) aside from William. to over the top giants or humans that turn into spiders or whatever the las plagas virus made them turn into?

Did you ever get to play the remake on the GameCube? What do you think about it compared to resident evil 4?

I didn't play Remake.

I've played RE2 (didn't finish it), RE4, RE5, and RE6. I might have played one of the spin-off games, but I can't remember.

Somnid

Forced co-op and dumbing down everyone's favorite RE4 feature, item customization are a start.

RE5 just tried to emulate RE4 but without the care shown to the design. It's not terrible but it also felt tired because it tread the same ground without forging it's own identity or doing anything that RE4 didn't already do better.

RE6 just decided "Hey RE4 is a lot like Gears of War, let's do that!" It's less stiff but extremely bland. If RE5 didn't doing anything better than RE4, RE6 didn't do anything better than about 20 other third person cover shooters it was aping from.

RE:R on the other hand toned-down the co-op (it exists but the other character can only stun), and actually made the customization better. It also added Raid mode which is a pretty cool RPG/highscore meta-game mode.

ElTopo

Banned
RE4 was still a horror game through and through. It was definitely more action-y but it kept horror as a focal point. And the beginning of the game is genuinely intense to all first timers. The story became more ridiculous but it still focused on horror and survival. First time playing and getting used to the controls, they give you just enough ammo to get by. Even if you know what you're doing you still have to conserve ammo for later on.

I'm genuinely curious how much of an influence the movies were on the development of the later RE games.

RE6 just decided "Hey RE4 is a lot like Gears of War, let's do that!" It's less stiff but extremely bland. If RE5 didn't doing anything better than RE4, RE6 didn't do anything better than about 20 other third person cover shooters it was aping from.

RE6 doesn't really play like any other third person shooter though. Whether or not it makes good use of its mechanics is another argument altogether, but there are not really any other modern third person shooters with as many movement and attack options aside from Vanquish.

Who

Banned
I can't explain it.

The immersion, the creepiness, the mystery, the graphics...

It is just a wonderful fucking game.

Top Bottom