• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Schlerf's profile removed from Bioware blog post featuring ME:A leads

Credit to /u/TheDuffman_OhYeah for this post on reddit.

Chris Schlerf, former lead writer for Halo, was introduced as the new lead writer for the mass effect series, with Mac Walters being promoted to creative director. He, among other leads, were introduced in this post. Schlerf's information is now gone, while the others' are intact.

A web archive shows that it was there back in June. Schlerf's twitter profile still lists him as lead writer for mass effect, and there have been no updates from Bioware. Is there something to this, or just an odd coincidence?

Patryn

Oh god. I really hope we don't have a Destiny situation here.

Seriously, you can't overhaul a story a year out from release.

Omega

Banned
with Mac Walters being promoted to creative director.

giphy.gif

yo this series is fucked.

Guri

I still don't get the hate for Mac Walters. He helped create some of the most memorable characters in the series, like Garrus, Wrex and The Illusive Man.

Patryn

I still don't get the hate for Mac Walters. He helped create some of the most memorable characters in the series, like Garrus, Wrex and The Illusive Man.

All indications are that the ending of Mass Effect 3 can solely be laid at his and Casey Hudson's feet.

I believe sources have indicated that, unlike nearly every other part of the series, the ending was conceived by them with no feedback from the rest of the writing team.

Basically, he can write characters fairly well, but his ability to plan out the major plot of a game is lackluster at best.

dr_rus

Well, after the ME3 ending and their decision to side-quel Andromeda instead of picking a canon the story would be a clusterfuck anyway so no big loss.

Never took garrus or wrex in my squad much at all, They took a back seat so they werent that memorable to me personally.

But then i thought ME3 was a letdown right from the start of the game, The ending was just another shake of the head moment.

The advert for DLC right at the end was the thing that pissed me off so whoever made that decision needs removing from any creative control.

Guri

All indications are that the ending of Mass Effect 3 can solely be laid at his and Casey Hudson's feet.

I believe sources have indicated that, unlike nearly every other part of the series, the ending was conceived by them with no feedback from the rest of the writing team.

Basically, he can write characters fairly well, but his ability to plan out the major plot of a game is lackluster at best.

Nope, he's the sole one responsible for ME3's failings.

I don't really agree to the idea of ME3 being that flawed because I see ME3 as a whole as the ending to that trilogy, but I do agree that the last 10 minutes weren't as good as we wanted it to be. Anyway, that is a completely different discussion and I can understand why you see the ending to the game as the ending of the trilogy.

What I don't agree is to put blame on Mac Walters and just assume that anything he does from now on is going to be awful. Like I said, he wrote amazing characters. Plus, although BioWare always planned a trilogy, the writing team wasn't planning that ahead. Drew Karpyshyn didn't write ME1 already thinking about what these characters would do in the last game, for example. But I think the biggest proof was that the "Suicide Mission" theme of ME2 was amazing if you consider that as standalone, but it cornered them in the sequel, because not everyone would have specific characters, so they couldn't make them have a bigger participation in the story.

Mac Walters made some mistakes. BioWare made some as a team. But that was part of a learning process for the first ever game trilogy with actual consequences between games. Why is it fair to assume anyone would only write awful stuff from now on?

Patryn

I don't really agree to the idea of ME3 being that flawed because I see ME3 as a whole as the ending to that trilogy, but I do agree that the last 10 minutes weren't as good as we wanted it to be. Anyway, that is a completely different discussion and I can understand why you see the ending to the game as the ending of the trilogy.

What I don't agree is to put blame on Mac Walters and just assume that anything he does from now on is going to be awful. Like I said, he wrote amazing characters. Plus, although BioWare always planned a trilogy, the writing team wasn't planning that ahead. Drew Karpyshyn didn't write ME1 already thinking about what these characters would do in the last game, for example. But I think the biggest proof was that the "Suicide Mission" theme of ME2 was amazing if you consider that as standalone, but it cornered them in the sequel, because not everyone would have specific characters, so they couldn't make them have a bigger participation in the story.

Mac Walters made some mistakes. BioWare made some as a team. But that was part of a learning process for the first ever game trilogy with actual consequences between games. Why is it fair to assume anyone would only write awful stuff from now on?

Speaking personally, I'm one of the crazy people who prefers Mass Effect 1 to the later games.

So if I was less than impressed with the two games that he's the lead writer of, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with his comic work (basically meaning any time he's done any plotting or writing beyond simply writing for a single character), does that not entail me to be less than pleased he's now creative director?

Speaking personally, I'm one of the crazy people who prefers Mass Effect 1 to the later games.

So if I was less than impressed with the two games that he's the lead writer of, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with his comic work (basically meaning any time he's done any plotting or writing beyond simply writing for a single character), does that not entail me to be less than pleased he's now creative director?

I don't think that's crazy. Many people prefer ME1 and there's a reason they are calling back to ME1 when they talk about the feelings they want to evoke.

Guri

OK, great point, because I also liked the first more than the others. So I can really see what you mean here. But here is the tricky part: Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer for ME1 and ME2. Mac Walters only got that role for 3, which had two years of development, the shortest in the whole franchise.

Both of us loved the first one. And Drew Karpyshyn wrote that and ME2, which was not as good as for us. So can you see why I find it weird to put the blame in one person specifically?

The issue here is that writing a franchise as huge as Mass Effect is much more complex than one person being completely responsible for everything, including the comics. There were over 15 writers handling the Mass Effect universe throughout the first trilogy. That including people who left early and others who came after it started. Then you include other directors (Creative Director, Design Director...), producers and even feedback they got, which made them change a few things, or technical limitations.

Like I said, I do acknowledge the issues the franchise had, but I can't really point my finger to one or two people and say that if they left, everything would be better.

Instead I prefer to hope that the team handling Andromeda, including Mac Walters, can learn the lessons from previous games and do an amazing job, which I think everyone here would like.

Never took garrus or wrex in my squad much at all, They took a back seat so they werent that memorable to me personally.

But then i thought ME3 was a letdown right from the start of the game, The ending was just another shake of the head moment.

The advert for DLC right at the end was the thing that pissed me off so whoever made that decision needs removing from any creative control.
Blasphemy.

Patryn

OK, great point, because I also liked the first more than the others. So I can really see what you mean here. But here is the tricky part: Drew Karpyshyn was the lead writer for ME1 and ME2. Mac Walters only got that role for 3, which had two years of development, the shortest in the whole franchise.

Both of us loved the first one. And Drew Karpyshyn wrote that and ME2, which was not as good as for us. So can you see why I find it weird to put the blame in one person specifically?

The issue here is that writing a franchise as huge as Mass Effect is much more complex than one person being completely responsible for everything, including the comics. There were over 15 writers handling the Mass Effect universe throughout the first trilogy. That including people who left early and others who came after it started. Then you include other directors (Creative Director, Design Director...), producers and even feedback they got, which made them change a few things, or technical limitations.

Like I said, I do acknowledge the issues the franchise had, but I can't really point my finger to one or two people and say that if they left, everything would be better.

Instead I prefer to hope that the team handling Andromeda, including Mac Walters, can learn the lessons from previous games and do an amazing job, which I think everyone here would like.

Drew and Mac were the co-head writers of Mass Effect 2.

A story is only as good as its ending, really, because that's what going to stick in your mind. If you had the most awesome sandwich ever, but the last bite contained a deer turd in it, all you're going to remember is the deer turd. 'But the rest of the sandwich was awesome!' some might say. Doesn't matter, there was still a deer turd is the last bite of it.

The people I trusted at Bioware are gone, and the ones presumably in the lead right now have used up all of their credit with me. It's important to keep in mind that the same people in the lead for the new Mass Effect game trumpeted from the rooftops how the previous Mass Effect trilogy was your story, Shepard was your Shepard, and the story would reflect your decisions and it would be your ending. They took the 'your ending' part, substituted one of their own, and it was pretty shit. When people dared to point this out to them, they defended their 'artistic integrity' and called everyone who pointed this out to them 'entitled babies'.

So, why on Earth should anyone have any faith in the Bioware of today? The Bioware of yesteryear (which was amazing) is gone. A fair number of the key people in charge of the shitshow that was the ME3 ending are still there, still in lead positions (especially if the Halo 4 writer is gone. I liked the Halo 4 campaign a lot!), and have used up all of their credit a long time ago.

Its easy to forget that they are a business, owned by EA, whose games have been (at best) hit or miss lately instead of amazing. At this point, its on Bioware to prove why they deserve the benefit of the doubt and the faith that some people still have in them. At this point, from what I have seen, they really don't.

Patryn

Exactly. Which is what I was saying before: we can't put the blame in one or two when there was a whole team involved in the process.

However, my point still stands. Outside of some character writing, I have seen nothing from Mac Walters that I am impressed with, and I feel that I have a large enough body of evidence to draw from.

I feel totally justified being wary about the future. You, naturally, are free to be more optimistic.

Squire

Banned
A story is only as good as its ending, really, because that's what going to stick in your mind. If you had the most awesome sandwich ever, but the last bite contained a deer turd in it, all you're going to remember is the deer turd. 'But the rest of the sandwich was awesome!' some might say. Doesn't matter, there was still a deer turd is the last bite of it.

"It's the journey, not the destination."

Or any nonsense about deer shit.

Kadayi

Banned
Maybe he played TW3 and thought about how ME4 is going to have to meet that bar if it's not going to get slated.

diaspora

The people I trusted at Bioware are gone, and the ones presumably in the lead right now have used up all of their credit with me. It's important to keep in mind that the same people in the lead for the new Mass Effect game trumpeted from the rooftops how the previous Mass Effect trilogy was your story, Shepard was your Shepard, and the story would reflect your decisions and it would be your ending. They took the 'your ending' part, substituted one of their own, and it was pretty shit. When people dared to point this out to them, they defended their 'artistic integrity' and called everyone who pointed this out to them 'entitled babies'.

So, why on Earth should anyone have any faith in the Bioware of today? The Bioware of yesteryear (which was amazing) is gone. A fair number of the key people in charge of the shitshow that was the ME3 ending are still there, still in lead positions (especially if the Halo 4 writer is gone. I liked the Halo 4 campaign a lot!), and have used up all of their credit a long time ago.

Its easy to forget that they are a business, owned by EA, whose games have been (at best) hit or miss lately instead of amazing. At this point, its on Bioware to prove why they deserve the benefit of the doubt and the faith that some people still have in them. At this point, from what I have seen, they really don't.
I would frankly take the output of Bioware today rather than of "yesteryear".

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I dunno how much faith we can place in the Twitter account. He seems pretty inactive. If BioWare has missed the call there (somehow) then it could be outdated.

Or maybe there's been a restructure and he's still on the team but not as the lead. I don't know. I'm concerned.

He's a good background player. He should never be in charge of the bus.

Much like Moffatt on Dr. Who.

Yes, BioWare is up its own butt.

But this post is ridiculously fanboy.

"faith"
"trust"

whut? Like, do you personally know people at BW?

Oh, and "the ending ruins a 20+ hour game for me".

Conversation I just had with my sister:

Me: Apparently Mac Walters just got promoted.
Sister: To what?
Me: Creative director of ME:A.
Sister: No! No, no no. NOOO!!!!!! I'm not even excited anymore!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Conversation I just had with my sister:

Me: Apparently Mac Walters just got promoted?
Sister: To waht?
Me: Creative director of ME:
Sister: No! No, no no. NOOO!!!!!! I'm not even excited anymore!

He's been Creative Director for Andromeda for a while, though!

Grewitch

Exactly. Which is what I was saying before: we can't put the blame in one or two when there was a whole team involved in the process.

We can if it's true that one or two people were responsible for the ending of ME3 and the other members were left out. That only holds true for that specifically and not the whole game when everyone had some input.

So yeah, you can blame him for that one part.

Guri

However, my point still stands. Outside of some character writing, I have seen nothing from Mac Walters that I am impressed with, and I feel that I have a large enough body of evidence to draw from.

I feel totally justified being wary about the future. You, naturally, are free to be more optimistic.

Being a Creative Director is very different from being the Lead Writer, though. Maybe he nails that, but I respect you being wary.

He's a good background player. He should never be in charge of the bus.

Much like Moffatt on Dr. Who.

This I can agree with, haha! But of course, a TV series is completely different from the first ever trilogy of games with consequences.

We can if it's true that one or two people were responsible for the ending of ME3 and the other members were left out. That only holds true for that specifically and not the whole game when everyone had some input.

So yeah, you can blame him for that one part.

I don't know all the details for that, so I don't really like to point fingers, but I do believe that part was not as developed as it could have been. Still, again, it is part of a much more complex process. If they planned ahead from the start, they could have tried something more ambitious. Hopefully they now understand what a suicide mission could do to a sequel. Maybe it would have been better for ME3, not 2.

theWB27

Maybe he played TW3 and thought about how ME4 is going to have to meet that bar if it's not going to get slated.

Completely different games and TW3's story isn't winning any nominations. Not sure what bar it set for ME in particular.

Bessy67

I really don't get why people seem to think Witcher 3 is some benchmark of RPGs now. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but a good chunk of the sidequests are "go to yellow circle, use witcher senses to find a trail, follow trail, kill thing". And they tout it as having 20 some endings but
it's really only 3 with slightly different states for the characters involved.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
We didn't know though. Multiplayer had better be tight. I always rolled my eyes at the people that multiplayer was better than single player, but I think they were right.

I actually love ME3 and I'm not a MP dude, but yeah, unpopular opinion there, it seems.

diaspora

I really don't get why people seem to think Witcher 3 is some benchmark of RPGs now. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but a good chunk of the sidequests are "go to yellow circle, use witcher senses to find a trail, follow trail, kill thing". And they tout it as having 20 some endings but
it's really only 3 with slightly different states for the characters involved.
You also need to escort a goat.

Bessy67

I actually love ME3 and I'm not a MP dude, but yeah, unpopular opinion there, it seems.
I love the multiplayer but I also really liked the campaign. I think that people's hatred of the ending makes them forget that some of the best moments of the entire series were in the game as well. Tuchanka and Rannoch were particularly awesome IMO.

I love the multiplayer but I also think that people's hatred of the ending makes them forget that some of the best moments of the entire series were in the game as well. Tuchanka and Rannoch were particularly awesome IMO.

It's not just the ending for me. Personally, I expected to get let down somewhat because I noticed patterns in the previous MEs. I just didn't understand how bad it would be.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The amendment is pretty damn weird if nothing has changed internally. Maybe he left or got the boot.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The amendment is pretty damn weird if nothing has changed internally. Maybe he left or got the boot.

I went ahead and made a thread on BSN (attributing the proper channels of course) and we'll see where that goes. Almost certainly nowhere, of course, but at least we'll have a couple of places reaching out.

Tweeted Mr. Schlerf as well, but, I mean, he hasn't even posted anything since a month ago.

wolfhowwl

Banned
After the last thread on Chris Schlerf, I thought he wasn't very popular.

Anyways a plot that makes sense would be a first for Mass Effect so best of luck to whoever ends up in charge.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
After the last thread on Chris Schlerf, I thought he wasn't very popular.

Anyways a plot that makes sense would be a first for Mass Effect so best of luck to whoever ends up in charge.

Thanks for the tip about there having been a previous thread on this over at BSN. :p

Top Bottom