• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Hulk Is Drifting Towards Consoles In 2015

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...k_is_drifting_towards_the_wii_u_eshop_in_2015

Games Workshop's tabletop battle game Space Hulk has enjoyed a proud connection with video games. The first interactive adaptations arrived soon after the launch of the boardgame in 1989, with home computers like the Commodore Amiga getting an excellent real-time tactical action title courtesy of Electronic Arts in 1993. EA would later publish a 3D sequel on the PlayStation, 3DO, PC and Sega Saturn which would retain the real-time gameplay, but it would be another 17 years before anyone else would try and bring this amazing world to life again.

That "someone" is Danish studio Full Control. Unlike the EA efforts of the '90s, the new version of Space Hulk returns to the turn-based mechanics of the original board game. Full Control has now confirmed that the game --- which launched last year on PC — will be coming to consoles in 2015, and that includes the Wii U.

Full Control's interpretation may be more faithful to the original game that the two titles published by EA, but it has garnered a mixed reception on PC, with some critics complaining that the online two-player mode — arguably the highlight of the package — needs more work. Hopefully the considerable amount of time which has elapsed since the launch of the PC version will have given Full Control ample opportunity to fine-tune the game and make improvements.

Daigoro

this game has improved a good bit since launch. its a good game. it feels like Space Hulk, and Space Hulk is awesome.

will almost definitely double dip if it comes to xbone.

i wonder if it will have async play on consoles? that would be badass.

Wish a decent company would buy games workshop.

this game got a real bad rap. Full Control did a fine job with the license.

Keasar

Space Hulk is so boring though... Only fighting Genestealers gets old, real fast. Also why can't we have a 40k game about something other than fucking Space Marines.

The last one was what? Fire Warrior?

In the Dawn of War games you can play as many of the races, but yeah, more variety would be nice. Space Marines are the most iconic but in my opinion also the most boring of the factions, Imperial Guard is where true humanity is at.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Space Hulk is so boring though... Only fighting Genestealers gets old, real fast. Also why can't we have a 40k game about something other than fucking Space Marines.

The last one was what? Fire Warrior?

Armageddon came out last month and lets you play as the Imperial Guard... err I mean Astra Militarum.

Hopefully it is the current PC version since the game has improved hugely since launch.

In the Dawn of War games you can play as many of the races, but yeah, more variety would be nice. Space Marines are the most iconic but in my opinion also the most boring of the factions, Imperial Guard is where true humanity is at.

Exactly, what about an RPG Rogue trader game set in the 40k Universe? Or a game (Horror maybe?) About being an imperial Guardsman on one of the countless worlds being swallowed by the Tyranid, or simply being in an Imperial Guard first response squad. I don't know the world is pretty large, and there's plenty of factions to explore.

Raytow

I just want a WHF online let me buy an army book, the units, and play against other people, but no can't have that because it'll eat the minis revenue...

Dennis

Banned
Exactly, what about an RPG Rogue trader game set in the 40k Universe? Or a game (Horror maybe?) About being an imperial Guardsman on one of the countless worlds being swallowed by the Tyranid, or simply being in an Imperial Guard first response squad. I don't know the world is pretty large, and there's plenty of factions to explore.

I want an Inquisitor RPG.

Doesn't even have to be super high budget - could just be something akin to the new Shadowrun RPGs.

I want an Inquisitor RPG.

Doesn't even have to be super high budget - could just be something akin to the new Shadowrun RPGs.

I wouldn't mind an inquisitor RPG either, would be a good way to get people more acquainted with some basic lore of the 40k universe. At least the Imperium.

Really digging Ascension. I think it'll be a fine hit on consoles. Will need a shot in the arm, sure, but a good interpretation of the original concept.

Next, Necromunda, please. Or yes, an Inquisitor game.

Ultimately, I just need my BFG game.

Daigoro

and yet another Space Hulk topic almost immediately careens off the rails into a "this is what i want GW to make!" thread...

markot

Banned
this game has improved a good bit since launch. its a good game. it feels like Space Hulk, and Space Hulk is awesome.

will almost definitely double dip if it comes to xbone.

i wonder if it will have async play on consoles? that would be badass.

this game got a real bad rap. Full Control did a fine job with the license.

I mean in general there really bad at managing their ips. That weird ass plants versus zombies clone thing? The general mediocrity of their games... Is depressing.

Not familiar with the franchise but I do remember the name because when I owned a 3DO I always thought this game's graphics looked amazing in the magazine.
967304503-00.gif

deim0s

Why the older version not the 'video gamey' version of Space Hulk they're currently making IIRC.

Armageddon came out last month and lets you play as the Imperial Guard... err I mean Astra Militarum.

Oh GW and their copyright shenanigans... smh.

They'd better ditch Space Marines (tm) then go calling them properly as "Adeptus Astartes" in full (which does sound better actually).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm surprised no-one pointed out that 1) it's a third-party game announcement for Wii U and 2) they clearly picked platforms designed for dual-screen play. It's about time someone made an effort to bring a game like this to the Wii U.

Loved the board game and the Amiga version in my youth.

I'm a fan of turn based games like these and Blood Bowl, I just wish they were exectued better.

Cautiously optomistic.

Loved the board game and the Amiga version in my youth.

I'm a fan of turn based games like these and Blood Bowl, I just wish they were exectued better.

Cautiously optomistic.

The Space Hulk video game is pretty much identical to the board game. So if you find that "fun" you're good to go.

Danneee

Had my eye on this for a while and will definitely pick it up on WiiU.
The original pc version was the first computer game I played on a orange and black monochrome screen laptop...

Draft

I was excited for this, then read nothing but negative reviews/impressions, so it's nice to read that the game has been updated into something decent. Same for the iPad version?

There's an FPS coming out from the guys who made EYE Divine Cybermancy.

What positive changes have been made for the game post release?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Why the older version not the 'video gamey' version of Space Hulk they're currently making IIRC.

Oh GW and their copyright shenanigans... smh.

They'd better ditch Space Marines (tm) then go calling them properly as "Adeptus Astartes" in full (which does sound better actually).

Already done.

Changelog
You can find the list of changes here.

Damn right. Best faction in that game.

I really feel like we should be getting more games out of this franchise, period.

Definitely looking forward to this one, I have complete faith in Streumon.

Jamix012

Any word on whether this will get a physical release? It'd be nice if the Wii U version is at least on parity with the PS3 version.

Really digging Ascension. I think it'll be a fine hit on consoles. Will need a shot in the arm, sure, but a good interpretation of the original concept.

Next, Necromunda, please. Or yes, an Inquisitor game.

Ultimately, I just need my BFG game.

Necromunda would instantly be my most wanted game of all time. Seems crazy that Mordheim got picked up before Necromunda did (and the Mordheim game is up on Early Access and looks somewhat decent).

Cerity

and yet another Space Hulk topic almost immediately careens off the rails into a "this is what i want GW to make!" thread...

The universe has so much potential in media in general let alone in games. Each of the races have a pretty interesting lore and they all have a number of major campaigns yet it's always the space marines that are pushed. WH40k was great fun but I struggle to see why they just didn't apply that base template to more games, not necessarily sequels and such.

Then you have everything in fantasy too. It's just crazy how the franchise is underutilised.

I look forward to feeding this to my Wii U. Would really love for it to be physical, but I'm not holding my breath.

I may be the only one, but I'd love to play a Gotrek & Felix action RPG (heavy focus on action). The entirety of the Warhammer/40K universe is a god damned bottomless well of awesome concepts, perfect for myriad game types.

Top Bottom