• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Plans for Unicorn Overlord Coming to PC Due to Agreement with Vanillaware, Says Atlus

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Vanillaware has always beat around the bush when it comes to releasing any of their games on PC. When they talked about Muramasa: Demon Blade a long time ago they said they would like to but there were "problems". They never elaborate what those problems are. I'd love to know what the problems actually are. But it might just be really simple that the company only wants to develop on consoles.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
PC port begging has honestly got out of control. Never thought I'd see the day that people actually begged for a Vanillaware game to be ported to PC.
People have been wanting Muramasa ported to 'something/anything' for ages. But anyway this isnt an old game, people are just asking if there will be a PC version because honestly it doesn't make any sense for there not to be. Turns out it isn't a business decision but some kind of anti-PC sentiment at Vanillaware.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Agreed, though I feel like this is a situation where it's 'entitled brat vs out of touch lead' and after the dust settles, either no one wins or everyone wins.

The game is out and is available to around 300 million devices both physically and digitally so this is hardly an all or none situation.

near

Gold Member
The ones doing the port would be Atlus, they said so themselves here. It wouldn't be a constraint for VW. There's no need to justify "port begging" either, asking online "realese this in X platform pls" isn't murdering anyone's family.

One bad game. One bad game and they'd risk going under. That's their current reality right now. You still didn't show me what's the issue with releasing their games on PC, making some of the fanbase that prefer PC happy and garnering new fans. At this point they're just being stupid.

And people who buy a game just to "support the company" are in a minority. I'd like to try their games but i ain't playing them on a Switch or a Ps4. While they keep twisting their noses like that i'll be playing other games from companies who are glad to make things easier for me.
Nowhere in that article does it mention who would be handling the port.

I made no argument against releasing it on PC. I said port begging is out of control and should be shunned. This is also a business decision they've made on their end. Like I said, if you want to play the game, you will buy it where they've released it and play it. It is that simple. You can be wishful and hopeful of a port, but the developers aren't catering to people like you who want to 'try' their game but don't want to buy it on XYZ platform.

StereoVsn

PC port begging has honestly got out of control. Never thought I'd see the day that people actually begged for a Vanillaware game to be ported to PC.
Vanillaware makes excellent games that always underperform sales wise. They would greatly benefit from bigger exposure that Steam would bring.

I mean I have every single game of theirs starting in PS2 era, but their sales aren’t reflecting the quality. Another platform could only help.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Vanillaware makes excellent games that always underperform sales wise. They would greatly benefit from bigger exposure they Steam would bring.
13 Sentinels was a sales hit. I don't think UO will underperform, either.

Reactions: Isa

DeathGuise

door GIF
Lmao he really made that door composed of chex mix his bitch

Guilty_AI

Nowhere in that article does it mention who would be handling the port.
Atlus is handling ports of the game on alternative platforms like xbox, and here they implied they wanted to do a PC one too. Honestly, i cannot bring myself to sympathize with VW after this, they're just being stupid for the sake of it. Especially when i know tons of indie and AA developers who would jump at the chance of having this kind of publisher support VW takes for granted.

I said port begging is out of control and should be shunned.
Why?

You can be wishful and hopeful of a port, but the developers aren't catering to people like you who want to 'try' their game but don't want to buy it on XYZ platform.
Then they get no more money and will keep running out of funds right before their releases, until one day they go bankrupt. Simple as that. Nothing more than plain stupidity.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Breaking even on one project doesn't mean that they cannot go over budget on the next. What are you saying here exactly?
I am saying they should have more sales considering the quality of their games. 13 Sentinels clearly didn’t bring enough of that considering they ran out of money making their next game.

Releasing their games on a new platform of 34mil + concurrent users where customers buy plenty of types of games Vanillaware makes would greatly help with their finances.

near

Gold Member
Atlus is handling ports of the game on alternative platforms like xbox, and here they implied they wanted to do a PC one too. Honestly, i cannot bring myself to sympathize with VW after this, they're just being stupid for the sake of it. Especially when i know tons of indie and AA developers who would jump at the chance of having this kind of publisher support VW takes for granted.

Why?

Then they get no more money and will keep running out of funds right before their releases, until one day they go bankrupt. Simple as that. Nothing more than plain stupidity.

Because it is a never ending shit show, with the infinite number of games that aren't available on every platform. People say it's harmless, but it can be toxic and breeds platform whores. I also think that there are a group of PC gamers that just refuse to buy consoles, and that is on them. You simply cannot expect every developer to cater to your system. It is what it is, and this has been the case for decades, why is it okay now to port beg? I don't think I will ever change my opinion on this.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Because it is a never ending shit show, with the infinite number of games that aren't available on every platform. People say it's harmless, but it can be toxic and breeds platform whores. I also think that there are a group of PC gamers that just refuse to buy consoles, and that is on them. You simply cannot expect every developer to cater to your system. It is what it is, and this has been the case for decades, why is it okay now to port beg? I don't think I will ever change my opinion on this.

Because if you have a good PC there is very little reason to buy consoles anymore.

Case in point:

The game is out and is available to around 300 million devices both physically and digitally so this is hardly an all or none situation.
I don't necessarily mean the devices themselves. This is more of a battle of ideals. The person in charge of these decisions surrounding Vanillaware sounds like he comes from an old guard based on description.

Even though port begging can be annoying at times, I understand where the PC guys are coming from here. This is a third party company under Atlus and Sega. There is very, very little justification for no port due to the fact that the game even came to Xbox, so that means they aren't doing the typical 'Japanese consoles only' thing and instead it just feels like an unnecessary blockage of earning money due to one man's(or a few men's) pride and fear of the unknown.

What kind of BS agreement is this? Are there any more examples like this where a game specifically isn't allowed to have a PC version? Absolutely nothing comes to mind.
Agreement as in the terms for their business partnership for this game only planned for consoles, not some conspiracy against PC gamers.

There’s only about 40 employees at Vanillaware and they’ve recently said they ran out of money but paid out of pocket to finish this game that took them 10 years to make.

I don’t blame them for not making a PC version, nor do I blame Sega/Atlus for not funding a PC version. 10. Years.

Reactions: Isa

Hudo

To be fair, a strategy RPG in the vein of Ogre Battle will most likely have a bigger potential audience on PC than on Xbox.

bender

What time is it?
I don't necessarily mean the devices themselves. This is more of a battle of ideals. The person in charge of these decisions surrounding Vanillaware sounds like he comes from an old guard based on description.

Even though port begging can be annoying at times, I understand where the PC guys are coming from here. This is a third party company under Atlus and Sega. There is very, very little justification for no port due to the fact that the game even came to Xbox, so that means they aren't doing the typical 'Japanese consoles only' thing and instead it just feels like an unnecessary blockage of earning money due to one man's(or a few men's) pride and fear of the unknown.

It's not annoying at times, it's annoying all the time and it is pervasive on these boards.

Vanillaware has ideas about where they want their games, maybe those are misguided or maybe they have a better idea of the landscape of selling their games than you or I. There was a thread earlier in the week about why it ended up on Xbox which I believe was a contractual obligation imposed on them by SEGA/Atlus. Adding yet another, more complex platform from a QA standpoint, probably isn't ideal considering where they are financially.

Mr Moose

That sucks, hopefully MS would appraoch vanillaware and pay them more money for this to come to pc. If MS really don't want to spend extra money, then just sell ninja theory, stop being a bagholder for that studio and use some of that money from that sale.
Why would MicroSoft care about it coming to PC/Steam? They aren't the publisher. They'll get their 30% from Xbox sales.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh when you put out a game for every platform except PC it speaks for itself. Not a good look overall. I can understand if they limited to 1 or 2 platforms or if they followed the trend of every platform except Switch if a game was geared to run on higher hardware but that clearly isn't the case here. Ultimately their choice.

If it ever happens though and they port Dragon's Crown to PC that'll be a day one for me since it's the spiritual successor to Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara.

jm89

Agreed

Never seen this level of port begging from any other fanbase.

Kacho

I mean they’re just leaving money on the table by not porting to PC so it’s their loss. It’s not like PC players don’t have the ability to play the games anyway.

NanaMiku

Probably it's because Japanese being Japanese. They always made strange decisions.

For example, they are always strict about their music, only available in Japan. But now they are confused why K-pop has become worldwide famous.
Same case with games. Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage right now is being region-locked. You can't charge diamonds if your region is not Japan.

Vanillaware seems like a really old-school company.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Vanillaware seems like a really old-school company.
In some way that what I like about them....Kamitani created Vanilaware because he wanted keep hand drawn/painted 2D game alive they made different type games while sticking with hand painted 2D which is not easy and very time consuming.....I deeply admire that.

Top Bottom