• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry not sorry for the quadruple post but the pre-order train in Japan for this title doesn't seem to stop! 🔥

COMG! Pre-Orders: March 5, 2024
JELpE6R.png
Final Fantasy actually isn't that big in Japan so I'm not surprised there at least Unicorn Overlord is getting a decent amount of attention as they aren't all playing Rebirth like the Western RPG players are

Metnut

Really looking forward to reviews to seeing how the full story and game turned out in the second half.

Definitely going to be busy with FF7 for a while but have a business trip in a few weeks that’ll give me about 20-25 total free hours between airplane rides and downtime at hotel. Trying to decide between this or Sea of Stars.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean I sort of knew it was coming after 13 sentinels and some of the lines just being so radically different to what is actually being said in Japanese but...

I am still going to play it, but this is fire emblem all over again.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm... I plan to preorder either today or tomorrow but I still keep going back and forth on PS5 vs Switch.
What platform did you guys end up deciding to go with?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hmm... I plan to preorder either today or tomorrow but I still keep going back and forth on PS5 vs Switch.
I’m going with PS5, since I played all Vanillaware games on playstation systems.

killatopak

I mean I sort of knew it was coming after 13 sentinels and some of the lines just being so radically different to what is actually being said in Japanese but...

It's not as bad as the anime localizations that are news recently. From what I've seen on boards, it's mostly just adding unecessary words and prolonging sentences along with medieval language.

like Die! would be translated to Perish and cease your existence from this world!

Labadal

Since I am not playing it in portable mode, I picked PS5 for this game.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Switch because I'll most likely play it in handheld mode the most. If I didn't share the TV with my kids or occasionally travel for work I'd probably have gone PS5 since the game looks better there.

Switch because I have multiple docks around the house. I don't like to play games in just one area all the time.

Complistic

It's not as bad as the anime localizations that are news recently. From what I've seen on boards, it's mostly just adding unecessary words and prolonging sentences along with medieval language.

like Die! would be translated to Perish and cease your existence from this world!
Yup, it could be a lot worse.

PS5 since I can play it both on my big TV and semi portable via the Portal. That said, I did play the demo on my Switch as well and it looks and runs great on it.

So whichever option you'll chose you'll be getting a great experience.

blackjon24

I don't know how I feel that all the glowing praise i've been seeing on youtube have been sponsored vids but still looking forward to this game, probably once I am done rebirth

Last edited:

blackjon24

They released really, REALLY good demo.
The demo is great but everyone covering this game is paid lol not saying that means the game is bad I am just not crazy about this type of marketing, it is good that vanillaware is getting more exposure, one of my favourite developer

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The demo is great but everyone covering this game is paid lol not saying that means the game is bad I am just not crazy about this type of marketing, it is good that vanillaware is getting more exposure, one of my favourite developer
I don’t care how they do it I just want to see this game get some damn exposure because apparently most big gaming sites are not gonna cover this game and not even EZA.

calistan

In the demo, the American accent on the narrator sounded particularly out of place. I think I'd rather play it with Japanese voiceovers and a dubious translation than suffer the voice acting I've heard so far. Sadly that doesn't seem to be an option.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just pre-ordered it. In the end I decided to go with the PS5 version to get the big screen experience and best graphics possible.

13 Sentinels mostly stuck to the JP script, but extended dialogue that was just a few words in JP

Apparently Unicorn Overlord is pretty similar. I listened to both JP and EN dubs in the demo, and it's obvious that the JP script is very sparing in word usage but the EN script is very verbose but I didn't notice any glaring changes in meaning

My bigger issue with Unicorn Overlord is that apparently for EN they only had 1 male VA and 1 female VA and these 2 people voiced literally every character in the game. It's so disappointing that I'm likely to use the JP dub for the full version just because at least they have a lot of different VA's for that JP dub

Last edited:
PS5 truly has upgraded asset quality over Switch so I went with PS5. Gotta get that beautiful 2D artwork in true 4K lmao

Switch version is very good, I played the demo on both, so don't sweat it if you prefer portability over 4K

Kacho

Japanese: I will kill you.

English: Draw thy sword, knave. I shall slay your wickedness.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve completely skipped the demo due to Rebirth. Can you save during combat and come back later? I’ll probably end up getting this for a handheld. I could choose between this and Rise of the Ronin, but I’m kinda torn. I’ve had their games at launch.

killatopak

So apparently growth rates are fixed. All generic characters can have the same stats as long as they are the same level with the same growth prefixes used. This also applies to unique NPCs when you use a special item. That special item is great as well even if you don't plan on using them to change unique character's growth rates as they can also be used to change things cosmetically like clothing color and such.

What this means to me is the encounter design is tightly made as there are certain limits that the devs know as you progress the game. This is unlike games with different growth rates that you can abuse by save scumming and such.

Changing growth rate for any character also retroactively changes the stats of them. Meaning that there is no difference in changing them whether they are level 1 or level 100. You can change them whenever you want to fit the task at hand.

At the extreme end, your generic units will be just as strong as your unique ones and you can just as easily conquer the game as generic soldier A. I'm hoping for some exclusive weapons, armor and accessories to spice things up.

Hudo

My favorite example of this is actually

dAWrzjE.jpg

JP voice actor says roughly "I wish I could have accomplished more before I died"

The EN version is clearly more poetic here

Also this is a wonderful gem that was made up for EN

gwB953B.jpg

Nina so cute and bratty in the EN script 💢💢💢
Sometimes the EN translations are pretty good. And it seems to be largely the case here as well. The last translation that I thought to be better than the Japanese one was with FF Tactics: WotL. But I have a thing for flowery Shakespearean language.

Sometimes the EN translations are pretty good. And it seems to be largely the case here as well. The last translation that I thought to be better than the Japanese one was with FF Tactics: WotL. But I have a thing for flowery Shakespearean language.
I was posting those things because I liked them and I do like what I have seen of this EN script in the demo

near

Gold Member
pF9ogra.png

Play-Asia are pretty much asking me to cancel my order or wait over a month for my pre-order of the PS4 version. :/

So my options are to wait a month, get a refund and buy the digital copy on PSN, or get the Switch physical locally. What a pain, it doesn't help that I ordered DoDonPachi Blissful Death Re:Incarnation along with UO which they're going to retain to save on shipping if I choose to wait. Decisions...

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
pF9ogra.png

Play-Asia are pretty much asking me to cancel my order or wait over a month for my pre-order of the PS4 version. :/

So my options are to wait a month, get a refund and buy the digital copy on PSN, or get the Switch physical locally. What a pain, it doesn't help that I ordered DoDonPachi Blissful Death Re:Incarnation along with UO which they're going to retain to save on shipping if I choose to wait. Decisions...
My Amazon pre-order for the switch Monarch edition has been pushed back twice as well. From launch day to the 11th, and now they are saying April 22nd.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just for those curious, my PS5 preorder downloaded and it's 7.3gb which is over double the size of the 3.3gb Switch version, which indicates higher quality/resolution assets.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
My Amazon pre-order for the switch Monarch edition has been pushed back twice as well. From launch day to the 11th, and now they are saying April 22nd.
Either they grossly underestimated orders, or this has a lot more attention than previous Vanillaware games, because I've never had this problem before pre-ordering one of their games.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Game launches in two days. Surely some reviews drop today, right? With that many preorders you’d think there would be more media attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom