• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Company invents "Straddling Bus" - Does not take up car road space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpiFJsWdCuY

There is a youtube link to a video explaining it

What if there were a city bus that could carry more than a thousand passengers from one point to another without taking up any space on the road?

The bus would span two traffic lanes and carry up to 1,400 passengers. It would travel up to 40 miles an hour above street level on a special track, allowing regular cars under 7 feet high to freely pass underneath. (As a extra touch, its underbelly even simulates the sky.)

More importantly, it would run on electricity and take the place of 40 buses, which could cut annual fuel consumption by 800 tons and carbon emissions by almost 2,500 tons, according to an interview with the chief engineer, Song Youzhou, conducted by China’s official news agency, Xinhua. And it would be less expensive than a subway system as it doesn’t involve digging up the ground.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/05...raddling-bus-finally-become-a-reality/483953/

That sounds like a cool idea. Lets do it.

Apt101

That would be great. I can walk to work in about 5 min, but if I was still commuting I'd feel good with something like this. Getting rid of current busses would be amazing.

Really wonder how drivers react when they need to switch lanes and they're stuck under one, or when the bus needs to turn but drivers don't. Seems like a lot of specialized roads. But it's interesting. Sounds like there's more infrastructure needed than it seems at first.

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of this over, say, a monorail? Monorails always seemed under used to me.

Parham

Banned
I have hard time imagining Chinese street traffic navigating around this bus. Granted, baring a day in Beijing, I've only really spent time in tier 2 cities.

Really wonder how drivers react when they need to switch lanes and they're stuck under one, or when the bus needs to turn but drivers don't. Seems like a lot of specialized roads. But it's interesting. Sounds like there's more infrastructure needed than it seems at first.

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of this over, say, a monorail? Monorails always seemed under used to me.

I suppose the tracks would be built around already-present medians, so there wouldn't be a need to to drastically change how the roads are

I really like this concept, provided they can pull it off. Basically a train that runs on top of existing highways. I wonder at the construction costs.

The concept has been around for ages, and I'm guessing there is a reason it has never got far off the drawing board. If they actually do get a prototype up and running in the next few months that should be a first.

my6765490

What happens when, inevitably, the "bus" encounters a semi, lorry or some other vehicle that exceeds 7 feet? Don't tell me that it can be built on roads where trucks & stuff are banned, this is freaking China (not to mention banning trucks from highways is a bad idea anyway).

Goldrush

Wonder if it might be better if it goes against the flow of traffic. Imagine it might be freaky if it catches the driver unaware from behind. Coming from the front, the driver could prepare to enter something similar to a tunnel.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
What about tractor trailers or U-haul trucks? Are they fucked?

EDIT: Also, anyone with bikes on top.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This isn't a new concept and the amount of accidents on Chinese roads will be ridiculous. The right of way will always need to be given to the train car and the traffic lights programmed as such. No right turns at the wrong time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, how does this thing actually change roads? If it can't, or if it requires roads be completely revamped or rethought, then it really isn't a viable alternative to buses.

Foreseeing all the angry drivers who miss their turns while caught under one of these, or who drastically speed up or slow down to get out, seems like a big problem, at least with human drivers.

lenovox1

What about tractor trailers or U-haul trucks? Are they fucked?

EDIT: Also, anyone with bikes on top.

What happens when, inevitably, the "bus" encounters a semi, lorry or some other vehicle that exceeds 7 feet? Don't tell me that it can be built on roads where trucks & stuff are banned, this is freaking China (not to mention banning trucks from highways is a bad idea anyway).

It only takes up two lanes.

Gunztrix

What if you get to take an exit off the highway and that thing traps you under it. Or if there is a crash under it he could put everybody on the tram at risk. So then car crash involving one or two vehicles now involves the vehicles end the train + 60 people on that train.

Volimar

"Sorry, I'm going to be a few minutes late, I had to go back to the house. Yeah the bus snuck up on me again. Yeah I shit myself again. Be there when I can."

I knew it would be one of those Patlabor over the cars thing. Looks pretty cool, except i would never in a million years want to drive underneath that thing.

Bregor

'Runs on special roadways' - seems like elevated trains would be simpler and fit in better with existing infrastructure.

Hexa

I can see this for very limited situations where the bus only has to go in between two points in a straight line on a simple road, but for anything more complicated it adds way too many complexities for it to be worth it imo. Maybe once everything is automated.

"Sorry, I'm going to be a few minutes late, I had to go back to the house. Yeah the bus snuck up on me again. Yeah I shit myself again. Be there when I can."

I suppose there'd be flashing lights on the front that you can easily see from the rearview mirror

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I await to see this in more developed countries and never in the US.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This has existed in Sci fi for decades. Specifically Tharg's Future Shocks and Judge Dredd in the early 80s.

Splundigg vur thrigg, earthlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom