• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Company invents "Straddling Bus" - Does not take up car road space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Two mono rails alongside each road still seems to make more sense.

----

Concerning all the issues with cars, driverless cars are coming in the near future, so collisions will be almost non existent. Well unless some moron decides they want to control the car themselves.

Jal

Wonder if it might be better if it goes against the flow of traffic. Imagine it might be freaky if it catches the driver unaware from behind. Coming from the front, the driver could prepare to enter something similar to a tunnel.

Good point, and this would remove the problem of being stuck underneath it at a junction, i think, maybe?

That's cool as hell. Would be nervous as hell driving cars around that thing when it first rolled out though.
Fully automated private vehicles would be ubiquitous by the time such a method of public transportation became normal. Pedestrians, passengers and drivers would be safer than they are today.

lenovox1

where do you think these tracks are going to go?

I'm used to Vegas highways and roadways where major roadways can have four car+ lanes going one way, leaving at least a couple of open lanes for trailers and whatnot.

This would be an enormous boon on a street like Sahara Avenue, where there is plenty of space, but the bus stalls traffic.

45586748.jpg

I couldn't imagine they'd be of any use in, say, NYC's road system or anywhere in the Northeast or West, where there's extremely limited road space.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That would be awesome.

It also seems like it would be scary as shit to drive near one of those things.

Really wonder how drivers react when they need to switch lanes and they're stuck under one, or when the bus needs to turn but drivers don't. Seems like a lot of specialized roads. But it's interesting. Sounds like there's more infrastructure needed than it seems at first.

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of this over, say, a monorail? Monorails always seemed under used to me.
I am assuming that this is intended for a driverless future.

It's going to be like this every day right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

Except with a moving bridge?

And also expect the cars to crash when trying to take an exit while this thing is in the way!

Haha I debated if I wanted to post this since I didn't think it was related but still lol

"Can he fool the bridge? By going very slowy? ...nope"

And that guy walking by doesn't even react when the RV gets it's things torn off

Svafnir

Really wonder how drivers react when they need to switch lanes and they're stuck under one, or when the bus needs to turn but drivers don't. Seems like a lot of specialized roads. But it's interesting. Sounds like there's more infrastructure needed than it seems at first.

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of this over, say, a monorail? Monorails always seemed under used to me.

Make an overpass? Just raise the track the "bus is on" and it won't effect cars under it at all.

lenovox1

Because the track is expensive and you still need a lot of space and land to build the track. It's why Las Vegas's commercial monorail system hasn't expanded in the last decade.

This just uses existing roadways.

Because the track is expensive and you still need a lot of space and land to build the track. It's why Las Vegas's commercial monorail system hasn't expanded in the last decade.

This just uses existing roadways.

Exactly, Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook never recovered after purchasing one.
Still looks like a great idea, but maybe a bit distracting.

Height of stupidity.
You'd need to build purpose built roads just for this behemoth and you'd have to limit what traffic could share those new roads...so why even have the Beast at all? If you're building new and elevated roads then just make them fit for purpose so regular traffic can flow properly.
The only places I'd expect to see this are Dubai, Qatar or a Chinese city, places where money can be wasted and opposition voices are silent.

lenovox1

Cop pulls over a car. Cop car and pulled over car get sliced in two by stilt bus

I can't imagine a scenario where the "bus" and track don't communicate and the bus wouldn't automatically stop if there was any obstruction on the track. It's only going 40, it would have plenty of time to stop in most cases.

JoeNut

but this will require completely new roads, with no bridges or tunnels.

It's a brilliant idea, but like a lot of these things, retrospectively fitting it to existing roads would be almost impossible without closing an entire city.

PatjuhR

If and when this thing will be in full use, I think all cars will be fully self driving aswell. So probably will be fine in turning and shit

Why not just make an elevated rail or monorail on top of the road? Seems like a safer and more useful solution. For this one you'd need to make tracks anyway.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So now will everybody who wants to turn right or left have to be paranoid about where this thing might be, coming at them from behind?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i was picturing it to look more like the "strider" police vehicles in patlabor. missed opportunity. (still cool)

Tuck

A neat idea, but with issues.

1. It runs on rails, so there'd be a large upfront cost. Not insurmountable, but something that would take time to implement.

2. The height of the bus is problematic for a few reasons. Trucks would have trouble passing under it, and passengers would have to climb up stairs to get to the top, which has accessibility issues and makes getting on and off slow.

3. Cars changing lanes under the thing could get messy, especially in heavy traffic, with cars basically getting stuck under it.

You want to get "rid" of cars not of public transportation.

Also this.

Also I distinctly remember seeing this several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom