• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Jungle announced for PS3

Pooya

andriasang
andriasang said:
Sony has just unveiled the game that Afrika should have been. Titled Tokyo Jungle, this new PlayStation 3 title depicts a fight against lions and other wild animals on the streets of Tokyo.

The ones doing the fighting aren't humans, though. As the story goes, in the year 20XX man has disappeared from the Earth. Animals fight for survival in a ruined Tokyo setting.

You take control of a jungle creature and fight for survival against other creatures. Animal types include lions, crocodiles, foxes and hippos.

Famitsu refers to the game as "a true hunting game" and lists the genre as "hunting action." That's the genre for something like Monster Hunter, but the magazine notes that this time its the wild animals doing the hunting.

Tokyo Jungle will offer both Story and Survival Mode. In the game's story mode, you'll work through missions centered around the various animals. Eventually, you'll discover the truth behind mankind's disappearance. In Survival Mode, you select a single animal and attempt to survive as long as possible.

Don't laugh too hard at the premise. Tokyo Jungle is the latest title to emerge from Sony's PlayStation C.A.M.P amateur development program, which has a reputation for making the bizarre wonderful.

A release is set for Winter. Famitsu's information box lists PlayStation Network support, although it's unclear at present if this is for multiplayer play.

so the countdown was for LBP2 or is actually this game?\

EDIT: nevermind. just checked and the guy is stitching up passed sackboy's waist now :lol

survival mode!

tumblr_l5u4im7sqp1qcb961o1_500.jpg

Snipe a lion as Leon!

luv ur av razorskin, should have some text asking her a question b4 she double takes.

what happened to that Afrika game where you snap animals in the wild gaf was hyping up.

duckroll

It's a PS3 Playstation CAMP game. This is really good news because it means Sony is expanding the budget and scopes for the ideas they're accepting for the program. Supporting wacky original ideas from amateur developers looking to get into the industry = <3 <3 <3

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:
It's a PS3 Playstation CAMP game. This is really good news because it means Sony is expanding the budget and scopes for the ideas they're accepting for the program. Supporting wacky original ideas from amateur developers looking to get into the industry = <3 <3 <3

If they have the same amount of success on PS3 as they did on PSP, SCEJ will have to stop developing games outside of GT, and Ape Escape.

AAK

Gameplay is where I'm worried... Okami is like the only adventure-combat game where I enjoyed controlling an animal. SOTC's agro had no combat so that doens't count.

duckroll

Takao said:
If they have the same amount of success on PS3 as they did on PSP, SCEJ will have to stop developing games outside of GT, and Ape Escape.

How is that any different from their output now? :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Sony has just unveiled the game that Afrika should have been."

Boy that's not what I would categorize it as based on the description. Afrika was pretty much exactly what it should have been.

Razorskin said:
I hope you can hunt the most dangerous animal of all...

MAN.

Mankind is already extincted in this game and in the story mode you may get to know what happened to them.
This is a perfect scenario so I'm already sold.

Maybe they use some of the stuff made for Afrika ^^

Amir0x

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
"Sony has just unveiled the game that Afrika should have been."

Boy that's not what I would categorize it as based on the description. Afrika was pretty much exactly what it should have been.

Really? Afrika really needed better controls and better framerate and way better loading a whole lot of other things.

I was sorta anticipating Afrika, after I fell in love with Endless Ocean, but it was really just a mess.

Amir0x said:
Really? Afrika really needed better controls and better framerate and way better loading a whole lot of other things.

I think he was more saying it doesn't needed to be animal vs. animal fighting in a deserted city?

(also these complains are all technical and actually don't matter at all considering the nature and pace of the game. Gameplay-wise Afrika should have been more open and interaction with the animals and the animals with each other were mostly scripted thus making the world feel less alive)

Amir0x

Banned
SolidusDave said:
I think he was more saying it doesn't needed to be animal vs. animal fighting in a deserted city?

(also these complains are all technical and actually don't matter at all considering the nature and pace of the game. Gameplay-wise Afrika should have been more open and interaction with the animals and the animals with each other were mostly scripted thus making the world feel less alive)

the complaints really DID matter in the nature of the game. It was awkward as hell fumbling around trying to capture animals on film. it was unfun as fuck.

But yeah, I definitely don't think this game is what Afrika should have been. Afrika had the right idea for its game type, just the wrong execution.

This game also has the right idea (for its chosen game type), but the execution is up in the air. I just hope it's better than Afrika.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:

Erm, yes, I am aware it's not a 10/10 spectacular technical marvel. And yet the game design, which is pretty much the only thing you could possibly infer that I was talking about, was well realized and I don't think it would have been improved by introducing violence, hunting, or poaching.

Amir0x said:
the complaints really DID matter in the nature of the game. It was awkward as hell fumbling around trying to capture animals on film. it was unfun as fuck.

I don't agree at all, frankly. I think the on foot and driving controls needed improvement, I think the technical performance needed improvement, I think the load times and save sizes were seriously problematic, but the actual experience of capturing the animals on film was quite enjoyable and reminded me of the experiences I've had in life that have needed a sort of calm, serene precision. Even gone fishing? Or working on a bonsai tree? Or painted? It felt like that. A lot of the best shots came after careful setup, patience, and meticulous timing. It was also an excellent photography sim. It was very cool that you could really adjust aperture and f-stop.

I don't think the core gameplay was the problem with the game at all.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I saw a chicken in the pics. Does that mean I can use a chicken to fight against the animals?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
ULTROS! said:
I saw a chicken in the pics. Does that mean I can use a chicken to fight against the animals?

A chicken versus a tiger. That's what I call a dream fight.

Amir0x

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Erm, yes, I am aware it's not a 10/10 spectacular technical marvel. And yet the game design, which is pretty much the only thing you could possibly infer that I was talking about, was well realized and I don't think it would have been improved by introducing violence, hunting, or poaching.

I would have liked there to ALSO be hunting, but I generally agree with this point. I wasn't disagreeing with your initial comment that this isn't the game AFRIKA should have been.

Stumpokapow said:
I don't agree at all, frankly. I think the on foot and driving controls needed improvement, I think the technical performance needed improvement, I think the load times and save sizes were seriously problematic, but the actual experience of capturing the animals on film was quite enjoyable and reminded me of the experiences I've had in life that have needed a sort of calm, serene precision. Even gone fishing? Or working on a bonsai tree? Or painted? It felt like that. A lot of the best shots came after careful setup, patience, and meticulous timing. It was also an excellent photography sim. It was very cool that you could really adjust aperture and f-stop.

I don't think the core gameplay was the problem with the game at all.

The entire game felt like one huge headache to do anything. I'd say that is seriously problematic. The on foot and driving controls WERE core gameplay, and they were essentially horrendous. Getting to the places to take pictures were some of the most unwieldy shit EVER.

I wanted to like AFRIKA, i really did. I would love a game like it done right. as it stands, shit was like a 5/10 or something.

jiggle

ULTROS! said:

survival mode as the chick
dodging attacks from its carnivorous mother hen

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Will there be Afrika 2? Maybe they'll add a lot more shit and improve upon others. I'm down for that.

It's great that Sony are supporting devs willing to buck the development trends, but this just sounds like imminent failure for want of a better word.

I mean wasn't Afrika a 'blackboard' game at one stage? Now this is what Afrika 'should have been'?

Top Bottom