• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo Review Thread

ViciousDS

Banned
Metacritic - 83

AngryCentaurGaming - BUY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZSDKa_67g

The Games Machine - 92/100
TrackMania Turbo runs faster than ever, in the best iteration of the series. The cliche "Easy to pick up, hard to master" never made more sense: incredibly fun, challenging and addictive, the only reason you should avoid it is if you really hate racing games.

The Sixth Axis - 90/100
Some parts of the TrackMania Turbo’s structure feel restrictive or poorly thought out, but there’s little to detract from the compulsive time attacks, the outlandish track design and the gorgeously vibrant graphics.

Examiner - 80/100
Trackmania Turbo is a thrill ride, offering up some high-speed action that feels great from beginning to end. Complaints are minimal, and even though the cosmetic items are slow to earn unless you're a natural, it still feels good when they are unlocked. The sense of speed, simple to learn yet hard to master controls, and the consistent mechanics make the game truly come together as a great arcade racer with some surprisingly consistent, almost simulation-grade mechanics like cornering and drifting.

IGN Spain - 80/100
Easy to learn, hard to master... But fails to entertain on long plays. In short bursts Trackmania Turbo is just awesome, but its lack of variety hits hard when playing on longer sessions.

IGN Italy - 78/100
Too fast, too furious: Trackmania Turbo is the same old Trackmania, with its hard challenges and some new multiplayer modes. Sometimes it tries too hard to punish the player... and it succeeds!

ViciousDS

Banned
ACG likes it, so I'm safe to pick this up. Dude's got good taste..

if you have a console you can actually try out the beta right now this weekend. just find it in the marketplace and download

but alas the game is only $40 or $32 with GCU....its a cheap pickup

Hoje0308

Banned
Having quite a bit of fun with the beta. Buying too much crap in the next few months, but I'll definitely pick it up before summer is out.

if you have a console you can actually try out the beta right now this weekend. just find it in the marketplace and download

but alas the game is only $40 or $32 with GCU....its a cheap pickup

Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'll like it. I enjoy the first Trackmania quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the beta.

Ashtar

wait this game is 40 dollars? lol I thought it would be 20 (never played a track mania game mind you) anyway I'll be keeping my eye on this but I should probably finish trial fusion before I venture on to this game

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'll like it. I enjoy the first Trackmania quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the beta.

yes, I'm in a 100 player lobby now....shit is so fucking fun and cool

its also nice knowing you can rank up without getting 1st place.....this definitely screams custom lobby's with fun customs in the future with GAF

Karak

I love that my review score is BUY!
LOL.
Someone could sense my enjoyment through the review hahahaa

Novocaine

wait this game is 40 dollars? lol I thought it would be 20 (never played a track mania game mind you) anyway I'll be keeping my eye on this but I should probably finish trial fusion before I venture on to this game

Yeah I was expecting it to be a little cheaper. I'm still interested but I might wait for a sale unless it gets stellar reviews all round.

ViciousDS

Banned
I love that my review score is BUY!
LOL.
Someone could sense my enjoyment through the review hahahaa

I watched the whole thing.....you definitely love the TT series and have an enjoyment for it. The detail in the video was really good too!

Dreadr

Banned
I don't think Ubisoft understands why Trackmania once was big, because it had a free version. Which game wouldn't be more suited for a F2P model than TrackMania?
$40 dollars for an arcade racer that won't have legs because of its price? Well, no thanks. Maybe in a 75% sale.

Ghost23

I'm just concerned about online. What made the previous entries great were the 100+ player full speed servers with awesome player made tracks. Will this even be possible on the ps4 version online?

Is this doing ManiaPlanet nonsense on PC again?
No just Uplay. Was watching some streams yesterday. Looks amazing. Are the leaderboards cross platform?

The weird thing about this is that Nadeo's community stuff (regional leaderboards) is so robust that I'm almost willing to overlook my empty Uplay friends list. Price is pretty reasonable too. For me though it all depends on how long the community lasts and how many modes are local only.

prudislav

No just Uplay.
good was worried it will have four DRM layers, when buyin from steam , so far it looks like it will be just Steam+Uplay as eula doesnt mentiom Denuvo ;-)

Will wait a bit i guess how community develops ... not sure if its worth the price when i already have TrackMania Complete Pack

weekev

Banned
Really enjoying the beta so far, will def pick up at some point, possibly not next week due to the volume of amazing games that just came out or around the corner, defo one for the summer lull though.

UrbanRats

Fuck I'm really tempted to buy this, but this game is too much of a time sink for me.
It's not the type of you game you play for 12 hours and put away.

prudislav

How is the offline play is the offline experience limited to local MP like in TM2 or you can play campaign while offline in TMT?

OmegaDL50

I don't think Ubisoft understands why Trackmania once was big, because it had a free version. Which game wouldn't be more suited for a F2P model than TrackMania?
$40 dollars for an arcade racer that won't have legs because of its price? Well, no thanks. Maybe in a 75% sale.

Do you remember also NADEO released Trackmania United, which also released for $40, which had legs for years. In fact it's still played to this day.

A games pricing isn't an indicator whether it lasts a long time or not. Especially in regards of the Trackmania series no less.

ViciousDS

Banned

the last console trackmania.......well the ONLY other console trackmania was on the Wii.

This is also one of maybe 2 arcade racers on consoles and its a very fun arcade racer from the beta.

So $40 for a current gen trackmania and being the first one the playstation and xbox is actually a great price point for players. Especially with it have a track builder.

Raitaro

Have it preordered for 16$ seems like I made the right choice

That's a good deal indeed!

After trying the beta and seeing the review scores so far, I can't help but wonder how many unsuspecting customers will pick up this game to be disappointed when they learn that they can't race against opponents directly (complete with car collisions etc.). What doesn't help in that regard, and what threw me off as well initially as someone not that familar with this series, is that the trailer itself makes it seem as if that would in fact be what this game is about.

Nothing against the time trial + track customisation focus mind you, but like I said I can't help but wonder if the combination of a mainstream console release + trailer + good review scores might lead to disappointed customers looking for a traditional racing game instead of new fans of this subgenre. I'm still a bit undecided myself if this game is fully for me to be honest as I get quite stressed by the constant need to drive perfectly in order to beat times (as opposed to just aggressively in order to finish first against live opponents for instance). I might still pick it up though as the beta did leave a good impression on me.

TheMan

This game is fun but after playing other series entire on PC with all the mods, I don't think I can go back to a vanilla

Raven77

I've never gotten into this series before. How is the track builder? Anyone pick this up yet and give it a try?

Hackbert

I've never gotten into this series before. How is the track builder? Anyone pick this up yet and give it a try?

watch the review video by ACG , it gets mentioned. it has various modes. a simpe track editor , an more advanced and the option to let the editor randomize a track. which sounds great for a lazy guy like me..

Top Bottom