• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves | PS5 Version | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

maxresdefault.webp

Game Information​

Game Title: Sea of Thieves
Publishers: Microsoft Game Studios,
Platforms:

• Xbox One (Mar 20, 2018)
  • PC (Mar 20, 2018)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 10, 2020)
  • PS5 (April 30, 2024)

Review Aggregator:

MetaCritic: 84/100

FrYNI7G.png

Critic Reviews​

Push Square - 90/100
Sea of Thieves is a blast when playing with friends. With its focus on cosmetic customisation, we slipped into the pirate’s life with ease – even after six years of updates and seasonal changes. Its natural and immersive approach to navigation makes it a seafaring sandbox well worth visiting, and a focus on cosmetics over high-tier loot make it a game you can play at your own pace. It’s a delight to steadily come to grips with the mechanics of the game too, whether that be how to outmanoeuvre enemy ships or sell your loot with quickened efficiency. It might not have the same level of grind that a lot of players look for in a live service game, but there’s endless pirate fun to be had here, and we’re glad that PlayStation players finally have the opportunity to join in on the swashbuckling chaos.
Hobby consolas - 88/100
Not all treasures are made of gold and silver. Sea of Thieves lands on PlayStation 5, once again proving that this cooperative pirate adventure is the experience that many seek, but few find. It is not a perfect game, but its world and possibilities offer a journey that is as original as it is fun.
But Why Too? - 80/100
Sea of Thieves is a great game that offers a lot. Between the PvE elements, PvP chaos, story missions, added content, and the upcoming Season 12, there’s a ton to engage with. Playing solo may be a mixed experience, but when it clicked, there was so much to enjoy with your time on the sea. Hitting the high seas with a crew is a genuine blast, leading to absolute chaos in no time flat.
Vandal - 80/100
We will discover little about Sea of Thieves at this point, but it is an excellent adventure to enjoy with friends and in certain aspects, it is one of a kind. Of course, it requires a specific profile of a player interested in enjoying the trip, with long-term dedication, interest in socializing or discovering the secrets of their islands. It can be played solo to some extent, yes, but that's not where it shines...It is that type of game that probably will not displace those more media releases that arrive every month, but if you fall into its networks, you will return to sail its seas again and again.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh since some people were wondering, Ancient Coins (the in-game currency) are cross-platform. It's like Fortnite and not like COD where they're locked to where you bought/earned them. Unlocked 80 this morning in the Plunder Pass on PS5 and they're showing up on PC/Xbox.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
can you play this solo? good reviews have me interested again, but i recently purged 95% of my friends list.

BigLee74

Always had a great laugh playing it with friends, but couldn’t get into it solo.

Definitely worth your time if you can get a band of pirates together.

Enjoy, you blue cock gobblers! 😀

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Console exclusive cosmetics:

Xbox - The Duke Xbox themed ship set. No longer available, could only be unlocked by playing on a Series X|S a few months following launch.

PS5 - Dauntless Adventurer Beta sails and title. No longer available (duh). Only unlocked in Beta. They're a modified version of the PC/Xbox Alpha sails.
PS5 - Ruby weapon set for Pre-Orders. No longer available. Weapons with shiny red metallic parts.

Hopefully they do a PS5 ship set like the Duke one.

If you have any of the exclusive cosmetics saved the appearance is reset to default upon logging into a different platform.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, it’s significantly different from its launch state.

89% on Steam and those guys aren’t shy to provide harsh feedback.

One of the things that I love about game ratings on Steam is that the score evolves as games improve. The progress games like Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky made over years of work are accurately reflected on Steam while the metacritic review model is stuck in time.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

This game is a lot of fun. Convinced a few RL family & friends to get this and it's a great hangout game. Only complaint so far is friending is really awkward between platforms, to friend my daughter who is on PC I had to download the XBox app on my phone to add her as a friend so we could play together.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really enjoyed some drunken sessions on the high seas when this launched, and that was when it was still a bit unpolished, so not surprised it is getting decent reviews now. One day I may go back to it and try on PS5, but probably would require it to come on to my son's radar to get me back in, either that or it just becomes available on PS+

Havoc2049

Most of the original launch reviews were cautiously optimistic. They said what was there was great, but after a while, players might become bored, which were all fair criticizims at launch of a new MMO, thus the game received a bunch of 6's and 7's at launch. Luckily Rare was on the ball and the first big update, The Hungering Deep, was released just six weeks after launch and the game has received a steady flow of updates since. IGN gave SoT a 7/10 at launch and reviewed it one year later and gave it an 8/10.

can you play this solo? good reviews have me interested again, but i recently purged 95% of my friends list.
Yes, though it'll be easier for larger crews to grief you so keep you wits about you on the high seas.

I did a really fun solo mission once. I traced the voyage of a trade vessel that sunk while carrying tea. I found it in the depths of the ocean and the captain still inside with loads of tea crates.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, though it'll be easier for larger crews to grief you so keep you wits about you on the high seas.

I did a really fun solo mission once. I traced the voyage of a trade vessel that sunk while carrying tea. I found it in the depths of the ocean and the captain still inside with loads of tea crates.

Lost Shipment voyages are a great way to make money in double gold hours and gold and glory weekends.

GladiusFrog

Hope you Playstation Swabbies are having fun.

I've tried helping out the new players but they are all so aggressive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The score it should have got across the board if MS would actually wait til games are complete instead of releasing crap to a service to fix later.

It's a constantly updating live service game that came out 6 years ago ....

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hope you Playstation Swabbies are having fun.

I've tried helping out the new players but they are all so aggressive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They brought back the 6 ship servers. Did an Athena run this morning (sea fort followed by a normal Athena voyage) and I saw sunken ship debris at almost every island I went to. It's a warzone right now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ok, is 3 fetch quests at launch worth $60 to you? Cause that's what it was charging.

That's kinda par for course with live service games, they're update to hell and beyond. It'd be like saying we should only refer to FF14 for its original disastrous launch, not with all the years of work they've done on it since then.

The Xbox version launched in a bad state but it's essentially the same scoring version today as this version being reviewed.

edit: also wasn't $60

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Blizzard should've delayed World of Warcraft 20 years so it could launch with all the content it has right now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ive played it for years and I wouldn't say it fundamentally changed since launch, combat and everything else in the way of Co op fun etc was in there from day one.

Of course it has improved but I wouldn't say it should be as scored as low as 69 or jump from 69 to 85 if that makes sense.

Top Bottom