• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voodoo Vince Remastered Launching April 18

Steiner

Banned
Osvi9Ra.jpg

Developed by Beep Industries and published by Microsoft, Voodoo Vince debuted in September 2003 as an Xbox exclusive. This quirky puzzle platformer set in the magical underbelly of New Orleans is only playable on the original Xbox, which has sadly meant that fans have lost access to an old favorite over the years and many people have never had a chance to try it at all.

This will change on April 18 when the wisecracking voodoo doll fondly remembered by a generation of gamers comes back to life courtesy of a sprinkle of Zombie Dust. Voodoo Vince: Remastered, an HD remake for Xbox One and Windows, will be a $14.99 download on Xbox Live, the Windows Store, and Steam.

New trailer here.

Just a reminder of how awesome the music in this game is.

Voodoo Vince: Remastered features:

- Classic puzzle platforming gameplay that has been preserved exactly as it was in the original
- Gorgeous high-def visuals: 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio and updated rendering and visual effects
- 60 fps gameplay -- Voodoo Vince plays like butter!
- Select soundtrack updates and remixes by the game's original composer, Steve Kirk
- Xbox Live integration and achievements with Xbox Play Anywhere support
- Rumble/haptic feedback
- Loads of Snark-ariffic, sarcastic humor

I'll probably still be playing Yooka-Laylee that comes out a week before this, but I look forward to playing Voodoo Vince for the first time soon after.

April low-key shaping up to be a good 3D platformer month 🤔

SUPGUYZ

Banned
This is great news! Especially because the original version doesn't even work in 480p on most original Xboxs.

Didn't have an Xbox (original).

Was it really good?

I thought it was pretty forgettable, at a time when MS was really going hard throwing shit at the "mascot/platformer" wall to see what stuck (blinx, Tork, Psychonauts). It seems like an odd choice for a remaster but maybe it has a bigger cult following than I realize.

I thought it was pretty forgettable, at a time when MS was really going hard throwing shit at the "mascot/platformer" wall to see what stuck (blinx, Tork, Psychonauts). It seems like an odd choice for a remaster but maybe it has a bigger cult following than I realize.

I liked it and Blinx a lot at the time.

The aesthetic and soundtrack are amazing, even now.

RK128

I've looked into other reviews of the game and it seems to be a solid action/platformer that doesn't do a lot new but at the same time, is pretty solid with it's core mechanics and gameplay.

Tight platforming, great visuals, a fantastic soundtrack and sharp humor; it's a good game for sure :).

I am personally hoping to play it in the future through this remaster and if it runs on low-end Laptops, I might give it a shot when it releases.

Sydle

I played only a small demo, but I'll try this out when it's half off.

Seeing this remastered still seems so puzzling to me, I just don't remember Voodoo Vince being a beloved game by many.

I think Spencer has some direct ties to the game (or just really likes it).

The original creator works at MS and wanted to do it. Worth noting that MS is not publishing the remaster, it's an ID@Xbox game.

Oddly enough, I ended up at Microsoft Studios working as a Creative Director in first party publishing. I've worked on all sorts of exciting things, from console to Kinect and HoloLens games. I love my job, but I never forgot about my little burlap pal. I also continued working on assorted side projects through my independent studio Beep Games, Inc. A couple years ago I started thinking about updating and re-launching Voodoo Vince myself. My colleagues at Microsoft were really supportive of the idea. We all agreed that the ID@Xbox program is the perfect venue for the game. A small team and I have been quietly working on Voodoo Vince: Remastered for a few months now, and I'm announcing today that it'll be out for Xbox One and Windows 10 in early 2017.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/10/05/voodoo-vince-remastered-xbox-one-early-2017/

the game has some amazing jazz music, but is otherwise a standard (not good or bad but solid) platformer. Good for them for re-releasing it.

Though there's one level that I found so amazingly distasteful that I won't play the game ever again.

where you need to lead animals into a sausage making machine. It wasn't funny then and I can't see people being cool with it now

Jeff-DSA

The original was decidedly second rate when compared to Mario or Rayman. A lot of people liked it because they REALLY wanted to like it. Some legitimately liked it, sure, but the game was just barely above average for a platformer.

Ridley327

That a stretch lol
What's so special about this platformer, btw?

The general aesthetic is pretty unique, with the touches of voodoo and the New Orleans setting helping that out a lot. The soundtrack is also rather fantastic. It's not an exceptional platformer by any stretch, but it's a solid one.

Good stuff. I will have to make up my mind on whether i get it on Play Anywhere, or Steam.

Now I just need to know when Phantom Dust HD releases.

Wedzi

Banned
1080p at 60 fps. Looks like a good port. This bods well Phantom Dust. Isn't that game rumored to be 480p or something?

Zeta Oni

This is nice, but its the other OG Xbox rerelease we all want to know the date on.
(also Blinx the cat when?)

Curious if the $20 price tag is an indication of future releases like this.

True Story: There is no one salty about another console getting Voodoo Vince.

True Story: Then there's no reason to come in this thread and compare two AAA releases to a rerelease of 14 year platformer for the original Xbox as a way to not-so-subtly shit on the consoles current library.

A post which you almost certainly saw when reading the post you responded to, and yet, here you are responding to this rather than the original shitpost to begin with.

I guess making sure people know no one asked for this is the more important of the two though, so you have a point.
/s

1080p at 60 fps. Looks like a good port. This bods well Phantom Dust. Isn't that game rumored to be 480p or something?

There's a lot of questions still in the air about graphical enhancements for PD's rerelease, they have gone on record saying there will at least be more consistent framerate and performance, but the resolution still doesn't have a clear answer.

Sydle

XBox, W10, and Steam at the same time? Didn't expect that being published by MS.

It's not being published by MS.

The original creator, who now works at MS, wanted to remaster it and is doing so with his own independent team. MS was supportive and thought that the ID@Xbox program was a good fit.

cakely

True Story: Then there's no reason to come in this thread and compare two AAA releases to a rerelease of 14 year platformer for the original Xbox as a way to not-so-subtly shit on the consoles current library.

A post which you almost certainly saw when reading the post you responded to, and yet, here you are responding to this rather than the original shitpost to begin with.

I guess making sure people know no one asked for this is the more important of the two though, so you have a point.
/s

Yes. I didn't respond to, or quote, the post you're referring to. Clearly, I'm doing my part to be a good GAF citizen.

Sydle

The behavior in this thread is pretty disgusting. The guy just wants to remaster his game he made nearly 20 years ago and he's doing it out of his own pocket. All some of you can do is think of how to make this a jab at MS. You're pathetic.

Top Bottom