• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/09 - 03/15

markatisu

LiquidMetal14 said:
In very few cases, yes. Don't twist my words or look into them more. That's about all I can say to clarify my view.

I am just saying Motion Control on the PS3 stinks (I have one and that is my personal opinion), and Sony seems to agree by how fast they abandoned the concept and went back to old standards

Maybe if either got an actual controller out that has similar functionality but I dont consider severely limited functionality as any kind of valid "it can be done here also" point

It would be similar to saying the Wii is fine on storage because it can read SD cards

jeremy1456

LiquidMetal14 said:
In very few cases, yes. Don't twist my words or look into them more. That's about all I can say to clarify my view.

Your words need no twisting and not to be dwelled upon to realize that your statement about motion controls is lame.

NeonZ

I really wonder what the hell Nintendo is thinking with their current software production. They clearly hoped that Animal crossing and Wiimusic would be successful games and keep Wii's sales stable, but that failed. However, even considering that possibility, their software support for DS has been slow for the longest time, and now that's hitting the Wii too after last year's Mario Kart.

Initially, I thought they might be planning a relaunch of sorts with motion plus, even though that's just stupid considering how the Wii was leading before and Nintendo's lack of current support for it has only hurt the console (both in sales and satisfaction of users). However, considering their weak DS support that has lasted for a long time, that's probably not even true either.

Of course, they're producing something, but they don't seem to have any intention of keeping consistent software support, and that's a big mistake.

dfyb

Banned
markatisu said:
I am just saying Motion Control on the PS3 stinks (I have one and that is my personal opinion), and Sony seems to agree by how fast they abandoned the concept and went back to old standards

Maybe if either got an actual controller out that has similar functionality but I dont consider severely limited functionality as any kind of valid "it can be done here also" point

It would be similar to saying the Wii is fine on storage because it can read SD cards
it doesn't stink (not any worse than wii at least) -- some implementation of it stinks (usually when you try to overdo it). works awesome in several games that implement it well (they haven't abandoned it at all -- their last big game used it and used it well).

near

Gold Member
markatisu said:

Really? How have they abandoned the concept and went back to old standards then?

markatisu

NeonZ said:
Of course, they're producing something, but they don't seem to have any intention of keeping consistent software support, and that's a big mistake.

Nintendo and software drought is not some foreign concept, its just this time they are holding #1 on each area (console and portable) so its somewhat more baffling then when they were behind

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jeremy1456 said:
Your words need no twisting and not to be dwelled upon to realize that your statement about motion controls is lame.
Very few games with motion work on PS3. Motion is only possible on the Wii and PS3, that's why I said to some extent. Intuitiveness can be had on all platforms, that's why 360 is still in the conversation. In terms of motion, it's pretty much a Wii/PS3 debate. Lame, my opinion, not yours. I respect your (or others) words, that doesn't mean you should not take the same rhetoric with mine.

markatisu

Airkiru said:
Really? How have they abandoned the concept and went back to old standards then?

Do we need to have a list war to show the wonders of the Sixaxis, outside of MGS4 I do not see anything worth mentioning.

The grenade throwing in Uncharted did not work well, it was hideous in Lair, and I do not see a whole lot of JP developers touting it as anything to write home about.

It "could" work well, and the SD slot in the Wii "could" work well too (as Homebrew shows you can use 16gb SDHC cards fine) but at the moment it does not and nothing is on the horizon to say Sony is going to work on changing that much

jeremy1456

LiquidMetal14 said:
Very few games with motion work on PS3. Motion is only possible on the Wii and PS3, that's why I said to some extent. Intuitiveness can be had on all platforms, that's why 360 is still in the conversation. In terms of motion, it's pretty much a Wii/PS3 debate. Lame, my opinion, not yours. I respect your (or others) words, that doesn't mean you should not take the same rhetoric with mine.

I apologize for being rude.

markatisu said:
Do we need to have a list war to show the wonders of the Sixaxis, outside of MGS4 I do not see anything worth mentioning.

The grenade throwing in Uncharted did not work well, it was hideous in Lair, and I do not see a whole lot of JP developers touting it as anything to write home about.

It "could" work well, and the SD slot in the Wii "could" work well too (as Homebrew shows you can use 16gb SDHC cards fine) but at the moment it does not and nothing is on the horizon to say Sony is going to work on changing that much

Folklore used it really well

LM4sure

Banned
dfyb said:
it doesn't stink (not any worse than wii at least) -- some implementation of it stinks (usually when you try to overdo it). works awesome in several games that implement it well (they haven't abandoned it at all -- their last big game used it and used it well).

I dunno. I think the motion controls stink (read: not just the implementation). I was playing Flower and it controls terribly. I wished for the ability to use the control pad. And yes, the implementation sucks too. It seems like a lot of developers just add it in after the fact. I just discovered Uncharted, and the one area you can opt for the motion controls is when throwing gernades, and the extent of that is tilting the controlling in various directions. :lol Just plain awful.

markatisu

LM4sure said:
I dunno. I think the motion controls stink (read: not just the implementation). I was playing Flower and it controls terribly. I wished for the ability to use the control pad. And yes, the implementation sucks too. It seems like a lot of developers just add it in after the fact. I just discovered Uncharted, and the one area you can opt for the motion controls is when throwing gernades, and the extent of that is tilting the controlling in various directions. :lol Just plain awful.

Exactly, like I said it "could" be improved but I don't think developers care much about it and Sony is not really pushing it as a must use feature.

It worked well in Ratchet and Clank for steering while flying, whoo hoo

markatisu said:

It worked very well with HVB, Warhawk, Killzone 2, LBP and plenty others it doesn't work when they try to overdo it or when it just isn't necessary like in Uncharted.

EDIT: For the record I dislike motion controls in general but just because there were some misses in the implementations of the motion control of the DS3, doesn't mean it stinks.

d+pad

NeonZ said:
I really wonder what the hell Nintendo is thinking with their current software production. They clearly hoped that Animal crossing and Wiimusic would be successful games and keep Wii's sales stable, but that failed.

I find it amazing that a company as seemingly intelligent as Nintendo can drop the ball as horribly as they have in the past few months. I mean, I get that they expected Wii Music and AC:CF to be huge hits and to sustain hardware sales. But no one thought, "Hey, what if they *aren't* huge hits? What if they don't sustain sales?"

Unfortunately, their backup plan seems to be re-releasing their best GC offerings with new control methods. While those games have sold better than perhaps they should, they clearly haven't done anything to help NOJ get out of the situation they're in.

Frankly, all it would take (IMO) would be a proper sequel to Wii Sports, some sort of Wii Fit update, and/or a 2D Super Mario Bros./World sequel. Although we might get one of those (the Wii Fit update), I have a feeling we won't be getting either of the others anytime soon - and that sucks.

LM4sure

Banned
markatisu said:
Exactly, like I said it "could" be improved but I don't think developers care much about it and Sony is not really pushing it as a must use feature.

Well add to the fact that a lot of games have the motion controls set to off by default. If you didn't go into the Settings menu, you would never even know the game had motion controls!

dfyb

Banned
LM4sure said:
maybe you're just not used to it. i played Flower fine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now localize 7th Dragon and everything will be okay.

botticus

d+pad said:
I find it amazing that a company as seemingly intelligent as Nintendo can drop the ball as horribly as they have in the past few months. I mean, I get that they expected Wii Music and AC:CF to be huge hits and to sustain hardware sales. But no one thought, "Hey, what if they *aren't* huge hits? What if they don't sustain sales?"

Unfortunately, their backup plan seems to be re-releasing their best GC offerings with new control methods. While those games have sold better than perhaps they should, they clearly haven't done anything to help NOJ get out of the situation they're in.

Frankly, all it would take (IMO) would be a proper sequel to Wii Sports, some sort of Wii Fit update, and/or a 2D Super Mario Bros./World sequel. Although we might get one of those (the Wii Fit update), I have a feeling we won't be getting either of the others anytime soon - and that sucks.
Stranger yet, AC and Wii Music are targeting pretty much the same audience. So for those looking for a more robust experience they've had... absolutely nothing. No offense to Another Code.

near

Gold Member
markatisu said:

I didn't ask you to list anything, I asked how Sony have abandoned the sixaxis concept and went back to old standards. There are several Sony titles that use the feature appropriately, and other titles such as Heavy Rain that will be using it as well. I don't see it being abandoned.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've been seriously puzzled why until the other day when I saw EA was doing it, no one seemed to be making a serious attempt at a Wii Fit clone. Maybe it wouldn't fly as well in the Japanese market, but in NA for sure it would be a hit. Wii Fit has been selling like crazy everywhere, and support is extremely limited! I don't think that's Nintendo's doing either.

LM4sure said:

I thought Flower controlled well. Responsive to all of my movements, was sensitive enough for subtle turning like when I wanted to get a Flower I had missed. I could quickly whip up into the air and quickly back down. Don't see where you're coming from. Luckily, many reviews see it as some of the best use of motion controls in quite some time. Maybe you just sucked at it*?

*which would be quite the feat for a game like Flower. :lol

markatisu

Airkiru said:
I didn't ask you to list anything, I asked how Sony have abandoned the sixaxis concept and went back to old standards. There are several Sony titles that use the feature appropriately, and other titles such as Heavy Rain that will be using it as well. I don't see it being abandoned.

And I do not see it as being utilized so we are going to have to agree to disagree

dfyb

Banned
markatisu said:
And I do not see it as being utilized so we are going to have to agree to disagree
it was utilized in killzone, littlebigplanet, and other recent games for multiple purposes. games like flower are still being built around it. they obviously haven't abandoned it. you're factually wrong.

LM4sure

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
I thought Flower controlled well. Responsive to all of my movements, was sensitive enough for subtle turning like when I wanted to get a Flower I had missed. I could quickly whip up into the air and quickly back down. Don't see where you're coming from. Luckily, many reviews see it as some of the best use of motion controls in quite some time. Maybe you just sucked at it*?

*which would be quite the feat for a game like Flower. :lol

I dunno. I just feel that it definitely is not as fine tuned as the Wii motion controls. In Flower, I would constantly miss flowers because the controls were not as responsive as I would have liked. But then again, the implementation was still better than most of the half assed attempts other developers have been using.

I predict the PSN-oriented developers such as ThatGameCompany, or in some cases Santa Monica Studios, will be the ones to push motion-controlled gaming on the PS3. Big budget titles will continue to use it for very specific aspects of the game, but it won't be the main attraction like it was in Flower.

Flying_Phoenix said:
...you can't be serious.

kiruyama said:
actually, my post was half-joking because anyone could tell it would bombaaaa. but really, if all NIS is going to do to is port old, niche software and hope it sells they should just stick to where their fanbase already is.

Upcoming releases.

03/23 - 03/29/2009

NDS:
03/26 Akai Ito Destiny DS
03/26 Gaitame Baibai Trainer: Kabutore FX
03/26 Hachi-One Diver
03/26 Hoshizora Navi
03/26 Inu Kaisha DS
03/26 Keitai Sousakan 7 DS: Buddy Sequence
03/26 Metal Fight Beyblade DS
03/26 Nintama Rantarou: Nintama no Tame no Ninjutsu Training
03/26 Pachi & Slot Hisshoubon
03/26 Space Invaders Extreme 2
03/26 Tennis no Oji-Sama: Doubles no Oji-Sama - Boys, Be Glorious!
03/26 Toudou Ryuunosuke Tantei Nikki: Aen no Koufune
03/26 Will O' Wisp DS
03/26 Will O' Wisp DS (Limited Edition)
03/26 Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator: World Championship 2009

PS2:
03/26 007: Nagusame no Houshuu
03/26 NBA 2K9
03/26 Rogue Galaxy Director's Cut (PlayStation 2 the Best)
03/26 Sengoku Tenka Touitsu
03/26 Slotter Up Core 11: Kyoujin no Hoshi IV
03/26 Triggerheart Excelica Enhanced
03/26 Triggerheart Excelica Enhanced (Nendroid Super Set)
03/26 Vitamin Z
03/26 Vitamin Z (Limited Edition)
03/26 Wild ARMs: The Vth Vanguard (PlayStation 2 the Best)

PSP:
03/26 Dragoneer's Aria: Ryuu ga Nemuru made (PSP the Best)
03/26 Hayate no Gotoku! Nightmare Paradise
03/26 Hayate no Gotoku! Nightmare Paradise (Special Edition)
03/26 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable
03/26 Makai Senki Disgaea 2 Portable
03/26 Makai Senki Disgaea 2 Portable (Limited Edition)
03/26 Sengoku Tenka Touitsu
03/26 Sunday x Magazine Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen
03/26 Will O' Wisp Portable
03/26 Will O' Wisp Portable (Limited Edition)

Wii:
03/26 007: Quantum of Solace
03/26 Suzumiya Haruhi no Heiretsu
03/26 Suzumiya Haruhi no Heiretsu (Chou SOS Danhiro Collection)
03/26 Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers

PS3:
03/26 Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisenban (Konami the Best)
03/26 NBA 2K9

X360:
03/26 NBA 2K9

Pachael

Stopsign said:
Does this new Haruhi have any chance of doing better than the last?

Depends on what great marketing idea Kadokawa brings up. There might be a nice boat though I'd be happy with a nice red fire truck

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm with you on the portability. Everything else can be had on PS3 and 360 (to some extent)

Motion controls are avaliable on the 360 and PS3? (And please don't refer to that bastardirization known as the SixAxis as anything but pulling left or right feels just flat out awkward).

Also I have yet to see a game like No More Heroes, Phoenix Wright, or De Blob perform stellar on the 360 or PS3. I know they CAN (with the right marketing anything is possible) but it will be far harder due to the egos those consoles carry.

markatisu said:

No it works great in the mini game in Ratchet and Clank. I think several games have implemented it well.

donny2112

Ether_Snake said:
Where are the hardware numbers?

They came out much earlier. Look farther up in the thread.

By the way, here's the MC Top 10 with the % info, in case anyone's interested.

01./00. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei) - 112,283 / NEW
02./01. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 61,483 / 381,000 (-81%)
03./00. [NDS] Rittai Picross (3D) (Nintendo) - 38,056 / NEW
04./06. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 37,907 / 389,000 (-14%)
05./04. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (Koei) - 33,255 / 316,000 (-48%)
06./00. [WII] Play on Wii: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 28,706 / NEW
07./05. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 23,815 / 449,000 (-55%)
08./02. [NDS] 7th Dragon (SEGA) - 22,341 / 102,000 (-72%)
09./09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 16,209 / 484,000 (-6%)
10./00. [PSP] Resistance: Retribution (SCEI) - 15,651 / NEW

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
31. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI)
32. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai)
33. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
34. [PSP] Ever17: The Out of Infinity Premium Edition (CyberFront)
35. [WII] Play on Wii: Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
36. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (Namco Bandai)
38. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami)
39. [NDS] Tongariboushi and the 365 Days of Magic (Konami)
40. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
41. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix)
42. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami)
43. [NDS] Detective Conan & Kindaichi Case Files: A Chance Encounter of Two Detectives (Namco Bandai)
44. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo)
45. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
46. [NDS] Chou Gekijouban Keroro Gunsou: Gekishin Dragon Warriors de Arimasu! (Namco Bandai)
47. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
48. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
49. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix)
50. [PS2] Yakuza (Playstation 2 The Best) (SEGA)

NDS - 22
WII - 9
PSP - 6
PS2 - 5
PS3 - 5
360 - 3

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |     LTD   [/U][/B]
NDS      |    39,135 |    43,342 | 861,894 | 25,981,537
PSP      |    43,463 |    59,568 | 579,953 | 11,943,972
WII      |    17,941 |    16,560 | 354,367 |  7,833,268
PS3      |    28,014 |    39,835 | 299,850 |  2,922,278
360      |     8,378 |    14,994 | 134,239 |    964,779
PS2      |     4,844 |     4,954 |  65,694 | 21,465,218
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    27,564 |    32,102 | 670,819 |  1,902,186
DSL      |    11,571 |    11,240 | 191,085 | 17,493,890

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

SOFTWARE | HARDWARE | CONSOLES | HANDHELDS

tn_mc-1-total-weekly-pie-120.png

mc-1-total-weekly-MS-120.png

(would you guys like it if I added in significant titles to this chart? that might be fun to watch)

*major thanks to donny112 this week - continued excellent translations as well as being on top of everything*

markatisu

So the Wii and DS are trending up and everything else is beginning go trend back down, soon we will back to the standard order of things

markatisu said:
You're perfectly right that the Sony tech is not exactly like Nintendo's, but it's not as different or limited as you think. Any of the Wii hold-sideways-to-drive games, like Mario Kart or Excitetruck!, could be done exactly as well on PS3. Motorstorm, Flower, and Warhawk all use this same control design to good effect.

Some other forms of motion control are as good, too, such as a bowling swing, or any of the shake-or-gesture button-replacements. The only thing differentiating Nintendo's motion controls are the form factor of the Wiimote (which makes a variety of holds more practical) and the second set of sensors in the "nunchuk". Motion sensing on Wii is more ubiquitous, but barely more advanced than it is on PS3.

Where Wii is unmatched is in its inclusion of lightgun-esque pointing tech into most games, which is a ton cooler than any of the motion-sensing stuff.

donny2112

Next five weeks (3/16-22, 23-29, 3/30-4/6, 7-13, 14-16)

PS3 - 22K - 18K - 16K - 16K - 85K (or more)
WII - 18-20K
360 - 6-8K

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PantherLotus said:

uh this is one big drop , hope the moneyhat cover that , Wada-sama

bttb said:
Dengeki Sales: 03/09 - 03/15

07. [PS3] Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (Sega) - 25,994 / 442,598
08. [NDS] 7th Dragon (Sega) - 25,040 / 103,933

sad to see this , SEGA need to bring 7th Dragon to PSP I guess

RGG3 is doing fine tho ..need more legs and some PS3 price cut can help too

Go SEGA

Eteric Rice

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has tried to get some third parties on board. I think a lot of them just don't want to develop for it, really.

I mean, did they try to get them to develop games on the DS? Or did that just happen?

This game market is so fragmented this generation. It's obvious for Japanese style games that the Wii, DS, and PSP are the way to go, yet they still avoid the Wii like it's a plague. JRPGs aren't going to become popular in the west anytime soon, so that kind of narrows it down.

Eteric Rice said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has tried to get some third parties on board. I think a lot of them just don't want to develop for it, really.

Because I'm sure that Square-Enix and Namco were thrilled at the idea of developing their biggest games (well discounting FF/DQ) for the 360 a console that was all but dead in Japan. Development wants in hardware isn't a factor in business.

EDarkness

Flying_Phoenix said:
Because I'm sure that Square-Enix and Namco were thrilled at the idea of developing their biggest games (well discounting FF/DQ) for the 360 a console that was all but dead in Japan. Development wants in hardware isn't a factor in business.

I think he's right about this. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo has tried to get games on the Wii, but 3rd parties just don't want to bite. Hell, they'd rather make 360 games than Wii games. That says something right there. I don't think there's much Nintendo can do at this point.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EDarkness said:
I think he's right about this. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo has tried to get games on the Wii, but 3rd parties just don't want to bite. Hell, they'd rather make 360 games than Wii games. That says something right there. I don't think there's much Nintendo can do at this point.
I'd be more likely to believe Nintendo is just retarded when it comes to third parties plus they still havent forgotten old Nintendo and they want Sony esque treatment out of them. Whether its fair or not for them to think this is a matter of opinion

Top Bottom