• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness teasing Oculus Rift VR support on PS4?

artist

Banned
credit to jimbobsmells

A couple of images have popped up on The Witness‘ blog suggesting some sort of virtual reality or Oculus Rift support for PS4. Creator Jonathan Blow posted the shots with the header, “What could it mean??”

The Witness teasing Oculus Rift VR support on PS4
Furthering the chances that this is some sort of VR/Oculus Rift thing, the images are simply labelled ‘VR1′ and ‘VR2′, although it is worth pointing out that the usual Oculus images have a heavy fish eye effect that’s absent here. There are plenty of rumours to suggest Sony are to reveal an Oculus Rift style VR headset for PS4 however, something that was initially tipped to happen both at Gamecom and the Tokyo Game Show. Previously there was talk that Sony had yet to decide if it was, “a key differentiator for the console or a non-essential add-on”.

Something I’ve only recently realised from looking at an Oculus Rift headset is that the single screen inside is about the same size as a PS Vita. I’m just going to leave that there.

Source - http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...ess-teasing-oculus-rift-or-vr-support-on-ps4/

Not sure how OR fits in. It's VR alright, but OR? How and why do you get this out of those images?

edit or it's the PC version as it has been pointed out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If sony would just say "We'll allow you to use the OR on the PS4" that would be pretty damn cool.

I still think OR is a completely niche product that nobody will even remember in a year, but if i'm wrong, then Sony should act accordingly.

It's not Oculus, it's Sony's whatever-they're-making peripheral.

edit: durr. I didn't even think about the PC version. erase erase.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I saw this earlier and it doesn't make sense, he did not mention the PS4 anywhere in that blog post, he's just teasing OR support for the PC version.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It could be for the PC version, although the reported lack of fisheye is...fishy. Although maybe someone can analyse the shots better to see if there is any deformation.

I would love VR for The Witness...was asking for it from the beginning.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wasn't Jonathan Blow talking about some new secret device a couple of weeks back on his PS4 stream? He was pretty vague, but we have been hearing alot of little things here and there about Sony's VR thing.

If sony would just say "We'll allow you to use the OR on the PS4" that would be pretty damn cool.

I still think OR is a completely niche product that nobody will even remember in a year, but if i'm wrong, then Sony should act accordingly.

I think you are definitely wrong .

The rumor about Sony's VR device is that it works similarly to the Oculus Rift. So any game developed for the Rift should be able to be easily ported to the PS4 VR Headset.

Doubt it's OR...

Maybe sony's own VR device people keep talking about.

I'll wait. Not getting excited about this unless it's official.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not going to happen.

PC version.

It could well happen, there is a PS4 VR set in the works...

The thing about this is 1) Would a devs like Blow already have access to it and 2) would they be going around flirting with NDAs like this?

That points against a reference to PS4 VR.

However the noted lack of the usual fisheye warping that accompanies OR captures is a little odd, and is what this journo is hanging the question on.

Krilekk

Banned
I think you are definitely wrong .

He is right in that it's a niche product and will always be one. Oculus expects to sell 500k units. It's a nice product in theory but in reality it has too many flaws: You need an ultra expensive PC to power a 4K gaming VR setup, VR sickness is a huuuge problem, wearing those things for hours is just not comfortable. It's niche, it will always be niche and that's not a bad thing. But don't pretend that it's gonna overrun the mass market. Things like Google Glass or the rumoured Fortaleza glasses have a much better chance to do so, augmented reality beats virtual reality. And has no problems with motion sickness or necessary hardware.

boeso

If Sony do release a consumer Oculus Rift of their own, where does that leave Kinect? In the proverbial dust?

noah111

Still Alive
If it exists, we'll see it this CES (which is in early January). Plenty of rumors about Driveclub as well. There's a quote out there from a DC dev that heavily insinuates it such a possibility, I think.

(For whatever it's worth, both Witness and Driveclub are set for early 2014, so showing them off with a VR headset at CES isn't exactly far fetched.)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Keep forgetting I need to put the OR on my buy list. What is the estimation of the retail versions release?

SparkTR

He means the PC version, I think. John Carmack tweeted around a week ago that he 'wasn't holding his breath' for Oculus PS4 support.

t's a peripheral. It's not going to set the world on fire, sadly.

You're underestimating it big time, thankfully. But I think you know that and are just preparing for the worst. That's understandable.

But this is the time VR sets the world on fire.

Edit: I'm speaking generally about all VR, here.

Hmmmmmm, you can almost start to imagine that Sony may have something up their sleeve that uses VR Glasses and the Vita.

Maybe the Vita slides into some type of glasses/helmet type apparatus. Then they could magnify the screen somehow, have a gyro sensor in the headset plug into that mysterious port on the Vita.

It kinda makes sense, especially considering that weird auxiliary port on the vita we haven't see utilized yet.

Ashok

Banned
Cool. Any good games coming out for OR yet? Pricing and release date for consumer version?

It's a peripheral. It's not going to set the world on fire, sadly.
HL2VR is already out and is enough to set the world on fire. Obduction, EVE Valkyrie, Project CARS, Star Citizen, The Gallery: Six Elements, The Long Dark, and Among the Sleep are already inbound for VR.

this is almost certainly the PC version.

however, do we know if PS4 games can access USB devices directly? I know you used to be able to on PS2 (which was how we had online games before the PS2 officially supported it through specific brands of USB modem). If you can as a programmer, then you could implement Oculus Rift support. the motion sensor outputs it's data through pretty standard means.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
So pretty explicitly not one particular tech right now, also Blow is not good at teasing.
Jonathan Blow said:
I don’t recommend trying to look at these crosseyed!

The actual distortions applied to these images are not the real ones. You can think of it as just being a test of an arbitrary distortion function. When you plug in a particular VR device, the distortion gets set up to be what that device wants (which is going to look pretty different from what’s in these images). Really these images are just saying, “hey look, we made the engine able to render two views simultaneously with different camera positions and distortions.”

(There may also have been a bug in these shots that put the cameras too close together, anyway!)

edit: probably worth noting that they have had an OR dev kit for months now - read into that what you will about hardware flexibility.

Alec

"The main work we are doing is not for the Oculus," Blow told Engadget. "But then, since we are doing 3D it is not that big a step to support the Oculus also, so we are implementing support for it."

Talking about Sony's VR headset?

You guys literally think any dev that happens to have an OR means theirs games will have OR support. It'll have support WHEN THEY SAY SO. Not just because they're aware of its existence, like most of the industry is

Zen

Banned

Sony is prepping their own OR style 3D headset for PS4 actually.

Foaloal

Really silly that the article writer jumped so far to the conclusion that The Witness supports Oculus RIft on PS4 or even any VR on PS4.

Read the comments on the Witness blog post and Jonathan Blow himself clarifies that all this means is they've updated the engine to be able to render from two different perspectives.

The images themselves aren't even actual 3d, anyone who can do cross-eyed 3D should be able to see that.

Chances are this will just result in Oculus Rift support on PC, with a tiny tiny chance that Jon and his team will try and support Sony's VR attempt.

The exact quote:

Jonathan Blow:

I don’t recommend trying to look at these crosseyed!

The actual distortions applied to these images are not the real ones. You can think of it as just being a test of an arbitrary distortion function. When you plug in a particular VR device, the distortion gets set up to be what that device wants (which is going to look pretty different from what’s in these images). Really these images are just saying, “hey look, we made the engine able to render two views simultaneously with different camera positions and distortions.”

(There may also have been a bug in these shots that put the cameras too close together, anyway!)

I really wish Sony would just give us OR support on PS4.

Why bother creating their own solution when OR is already out and perfectly functional?

They should make a deal with the OR guys to support PS4 over Xbox One while they can.

Would be far more beneficial for them IMO.

Top Bottom