• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X1 owners. Which games don't have huge mandetory patches?

Omni

I'm very close to buying an Xbone. The only real problem is that my ISP only allows me to use 25GB a month before slowing down my connection to 64kbps. This means that it's simply not worth my while buying games that have huge mandatory patches - something which I've read is quite prominent on the X1 for some reason. A couple of GB is manageable, but any higher isn't

I know Dead Rising and Forza 5 require huge patches to play online (the latter is incredibly frustrating because I've been wanting to drive on Bathurst ahhh), but are there any other titles that I should steer clear of?

If this isn't the place to ask then I apologise

SeanNaess

Neo Member
The recent Ryse patch is around 5GB.

I do suggested going offline to install your games. This allows you to install and play the game before downloading any patches. However, if you initiate a patch and then go offline, you have no option but to download it. I haven't played Dead Rising 3 since December because of this!

I recently moved into my new mansion, but before that I cohabitated with my dear younger sister for a month who had a commoners supply of internet, as such I could not connect with my One. In this time I realized a dirty truth. That whole online only thing Microsoft said that would take away is tomfoolery. My games were completely updated when I lost internet, and worked for a few days after I went offline. But a week down the line or so, I could not play any of my games. It required an update. 1 MB worth of an update, maybe less.
I have accurately assessed the situation, and proposed the following. You still need to sign in once a week to play games, and the 1MB or less update is in fact a message to MS saying you are online and you can play your games. Anyone else of good standing noticed this? Or have I exposed a coverup?

RobbieNick

The patches are ridiculous and take up WAY too much space. I just bought an XB1 last week and the first few days were a nightmare. I only have six game and my hard drive is over 40% taken up. 6 hours in before I could play ONE game!

"X-Box One: You'll get to play your new game tomorrow. Maybe the next day. We swear."

DJwest

I recently moved into my new mansion, but before that I cohabitated with my dear younger sister for a month who had a commoners supply of internet, as such I could not connect with my One. In this time I realized a dirty truth. That whole online only thing Microsoft said that would take away is tomfoolery. My games were completely updated when I lost internet, and worked for a few days after I went offline. But a week down the line or so, I could not play any of my games. It required an update. 1 MB worth of an update, maybe less.
I have accurately assessed the situation, and proposed the following. You still need to sign in once a week to play games, and the 1MB or less update is in fact a message to MS saying you are online and you can play your games. Anyone else of good standing noticed this? Or have I exposed a coverup?
Wtf ? Is this real ? Can anyone else confirm this? So even though you're offline, you're being prompted to connect for updates and you can't play your games?

Wtf ? Is this real ? Can anyone else confirm this? So even though you're offline, you're being prompted to connect for updates and you can't play your games?

That is indeed the case, I'm online most of the time. As such it does not affect me much now. But for 3 weeks I could not play my games. I feel like I should sue somebody. I've never been so ruggermussed in my life!

I assume this was for a disc based game and it was at 99% and wouldn't finish? What most likely happened was that you downloaded the patch before you went offline, but for disc games to actually finish updating, you need to insert your disc, be online and it will download like a megabyte to finish the patch. You can check by seeing if the game is in your download queue. This doesn't apply to digital copies of games (you need to insert the disc to verify ownership to finish the patch I'm assuming). There's no online checks at all anymore, so you could play for months offline if you really wanted to. Granted, I haven't tried since I'm always online.

For the OP, I'd recommend that you download system updates, go offline then just install with the discs. You won't be forced to download any updates.

RobbieNick

There was a ~600MB patch released today.

Only 600 MB?

Dead Rising 3 has an initial update patch of 16GB. SIXTEEN! That could easily fit two full size games!

What I don't understand is that why are none of these background patches so I can still play my game just as PS4 and Wii U does? Why am I FORCED to not play my game because of some stupid update?

Colbert

Banned
I have no idea because typically my games are patched overnight when the box is in standby. As I am full digital some games even need no day one patch when disc based versions does.

Xav

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Rayman Legends on Xbox One probably doesn't have any patches.

I assume this was for a disc based game and it was at 99% and wouldn't finish? What most likely happened was that you downloaded the patch before you went offline, but for disc games to actually finish updating, you need to insert your disc, be online and it will download like a megabyte to finish the patch. You can check by seeing if the game is in your download queue. This doesn't apply to digital copies of games (you need to insert the disc to verify ownership to finish the patch I'm assuming). There's no online checks at all anymore, so you could play for months offline if you really wanted to. Granted, I haven't tried since I'm always online.

So, by that knowledge, it would be instant? Because that is indeed the case, but how could the Xbox know a patch or update is needed when offline for a week? Yet work fine in the days leading up to it?

Given how people analyze the shit out the Xbox One, this would've been spotted months ago. You're talking generalities out of your ass.

I said people of good standing. You sir, should learn your place. Also, generalities means general, as in normal, as in everyone experiences them. This was an isolated thing that nobody I've seen has mentioned of before, so I was curious. Because one day I'm playing offline, the next I can't. This was a real thing, not something I acquired for my netheryarer area.

Only 600 MB?

Dead Rising 3 has an initial update patch of 16GB. SIXTEEN! That could easily fit two full size games!
Capcom added all the content for the DLC's in the "patch".

Titanfall's probably the only major title I can think of that doesn't have large content updates if you want to go disc. I would recommend seeing what ISP options are available to you if you're being capped at 25GB that's going to be a problem with these next Gen consoles.

So, by that knowledge, it would be instant? Because that is indeed the case, but how could the Xbox know a patch or update is needed when offline for a week? Yet work fine in the days leading up to it?

Was this issue for all games, or just a single game? If it's just a single game, then who knows. If it was for every game, then something is weird.

You sound like a man of science. You should reproduce the experiment by completely updating all of your games, then go offline for a week.

Head.spawn

/dead

Was this issue for all games, or just a single game? If it's just a single game, then who knows. If it was for every game, then something is weird.

You sound like a man of science. You should reproduce the experiment by completely updating all of your games, then go offline for a week.

Twas the case for Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Assassin's Creed 4, and Fifa of which was digital. All needed a 1MB update, except for Fifa. The digital copy just never loaded without saying why.

I could do that, but if it's an isolated anomaly then people shouldn't worry. If somebody else confirmed it, I would redo the method in order to add credence to the theory.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Man download caps are the devil.

If a game gets patched it will update to 99% then do the remainder next time you put the game disc in the console. If it's a digital game it will just 100% all the time. If you leave the XB1 disconnected you wont receive any updates until you next connect online.

I think Microsoft should offer an option to auto-update games or allow users to manually do what they want. Everytime I boot the XB1 up I see Call of Duty or Battlefield is updating or has updated to 99%. I don't care for those at the moment so I'd rather the updates are controlled manually for myself if I wanted to play them online.

The patches are ridiculous and take up WAY too much space. I just bought an XB1 last week and the first few days were a nightmare. I only have six game and my hard drive is over 40% taken up. 6 hours in before I could play ONE game!

"X-Box One: You'll get to play your new game tomorrow. Maybe the next day. We swear."

They don't add data to whats already installed. It replaces it and sometimes it may reduce as we've seen with Sniper Elite 3 going from 21GB to 19GB.

hwalker84

Most of these updates aren't cumulative but replacement data.

link1201

Just out of curiosity is there not a way to download the updates and then transfer them to your Xbox, similar to the OS updates?

I think AC4 and Watch Dogs (the driving sucks for this one), don't have large updates. Both games were fully installed and playable brief after a couple of minutes.

Man download caps are the devil.

If a game gets patched it will update to 99% then do the remainder next time you put the game disc in the console. If it's a digital game it will just 100% all the time. If you leave the XB1 disconnected you wont receive any updates until you next connect online.

I think Microsoft should offer an option to auto-update games or allow users to manually do what they want. Everytime I boot the XB1 up I see Call of Duty or Battlefield is updating or has updated to 99%. I don't care for those at the moment so I'd rather the updates are controlled manually for myself if I wanted to play them online.

They don't add data to whats already installed. It replaces it and sometimes it may reduce as we've seen with Sniper Elite 3 going from 21GB to 19GB.
Would explain why forza 5 was stuck at 100% updating for a while until I deleted it, since i sold the game months back.

Omni

Just out of curiosity is there not a way to download the updates and then transfer them to your Xbox, similar to the OS updates?

That would be amazing 'cause I could just bum them off my university's internet. But I don't think so

Does anyone know if the recently announced Game of the Year edition of Forza 5 has all the patches and stuff pressed onto the disc?

Couldn't you just use the internet as normal and update games just before the counter resets at the end of the month? It'd be annoying but it'd at least be possible.

Omni

Couldn't you just use the internet as normal and update games just before the counter resets at the end of the month? It'd be annoying but it'd at least be possible.

What I usually do is on the night that I know I'll go over my bandwidth limit, is just download as much as I can. It's just a pain in the ass trying to fit everything in

It would take several months of that to get through a few games. I know I could download earlier in the month... but I already tend to go over my allowance three weeks in, haha. That last week of 64kbps is absolutely hell!

Top Bottom