• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 80% of PS5 Owners Don't Have an Xbox Series X|S, SIE data reveals

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok, that's what I'm talking about. This data is internal survey of primarily PS5 owners. It does not factor Xbox only owners, or people who own Xbox as their primary console. Or people who own neither and plan to pick up either Xbox.

Why are you framing it that Starfield must absolutely convert a big portion of that 80% of PS5-only owners to be successful. You're just putting arbitrary clauses here.

Starfield will absolutely get some hardware and game pass subs across, no doubt about that. It doesn't need to convert the PS5 only owners to be successful at that.
You're not understanding my point. Read the 3 bullet points I shared above; the people who already own an Xbox already own an Xbox and therefore are not a part of that discussion. The discussion is about additional potential customers that Xbox can get from the PlayStation market share, when only 20% are willing to have 2 consoles in their homes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You're not understanding my point. Read the 3 bullet points I shared above; the people who already own an Xbox already own an Xbox and therefore are not a part of that discussion. The discussion is about additional potential customers that Xbox can get from the PlayStation market share, when only 20% are willing to have 2 consoles in their homes.

No, I get that. I disagree with your framing. For example:

• Microsoft introduced Series S as a "secondary" console. But the data shows that more than 80% of PS5 owners did not buy an X or S.
  • And whether making Starfield exclusive was the right choice -- especially if it only moves a tiny, tiny volume of consoles. And if the majority of people just decide not to buy a second console and just not play Starfield.

You're painting 4 out of 5 PS5 owners not having a Series S as some kind of failure on the consoles part and hinging Starfield's success on the metrics of how many PS5 owners it's going to convert.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, I get that. I disagree with your framing. For example:

• Microsoft introduced Series S as a "secondary" console. But the data shows that more than 80% of PS5 owners did not buy an X or S.
  • And whether making Starfield exclusive was the right choice -- especially if it only moves a tiny, tiny volume of consoles. And if the majority of people just decide not to buy a second console and just not play Starfield.

You're painting 4 out of 5 PS5 owners not having a Series S as some kind of failure on the consoles part and hinging Starfield's success on the metrics of how many PS5 owners it's going to convert.
  • Series S >> Series S's failure or success does not entirely depend on this, of course. However, a cheaper price point is obviously to make Series S an attractive option to have as the second console. Because people might be more willing to spend $700 on buying consoles than $900. So a very low percentage does indicate a failure of that strategy - not the failure of the console itself.
  • Starfield >> Again, PS5 has a massive market share. They will have to tap into that audience and convert some of them to make up for the lost revenue of Starfield. Suppose if Starfield does not increase Xbox market share or does not increase Game Pass market share, then being a marquee AAA exclusive, it does not serve its purpose. And because 4/5 people don't buy a secondary console, there is a chance it fails to push people to buy a 2nd console (not because the game is bad or anything, but because people just don't wanna have 2-3 consoles in their homes). And if it does not increase Xbox market share (and only increase its revenue through game sales), then wouldn't it have made more business sense to increase that revenue by not making it exclusive? Because making it exclusive is not increasing the Xbox market share anyway (assuming, in this case).
That's the question.

I considered buying Xbox Series X for Starfield and TESVI but when I heard its 30 fps for Starfield on XSX I decided to build PC alongside of my PS5 in the near future- possibly a mini gaming PC (not a lot of space) but I only started to research this stuff.

Seems better in the long run.

That's probably what most PS5 owners thought about too- why go buy a second console when you can have better experience on a PC and the same games which you would have on Xbox, leave PS5 for exclusives. Thats no brainer I guess.

If you want some casual experience you can always buy an Xbox controller and plug it.

Last edited:
Makes sense?! They’re $500 each. I have a Series X, perfectly happy with that and my launch Switch. Absolutely zero desire to own all three machines this generation.

Seems accurate. I finally got a PS5 last month, we have several Switches in the house but no Xbox in site. At least none newer than the 360 which I still play from time to time.

Top Bottom