• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

DaGwaphics

Sony exclusives = Yay Sony. For the gamers.

XBox Exclusive = Bad for gamers. Dissects cost/revenue streams to 'prove' bad move.

People on here thinking 10M copies not on pS gonna make Starfield a failure. That's PS thinking.

Meanwhile forgetting MS just paid about $80 BILLION for Bethesda and ABK. They paid that much to put games on different consoles? (COD being an anamoly). 🤣🧂 MS is worth almost $3 trillion. I think they can manage thru few less sales on Starfield. Hahaha

The funniest thing is the bolded part would apply to all exclusives regardless of how successful the console platform is. Sony could release their exclusives on Xbox and get another 2 or 3 million in sales easily, if not more. Nintendo could probably really hit the jackpot on PS/Xbox. It is what it is.

Then these same posters will go on to point out how important the exclusives are to the ecosystem in a different thread. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DrFigs

I bought an XsX just for Flight Simulator 2020 so there will definitely be people aching for Starfield. First thing people need to stop assuming is that everyone has a PC already or that it can run games at highest settings. If not, a $500 console will get the job done. If you are on PC but playing 1080p, low shadows, medium details and AA turned off, you have no right to voice your opinion lol.
Idk. i did consider getting a series x for starfield. but 30fps?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Rarely has such a collection of misunderstandings about the game industry ever been gathered in one post.

Starfield will require a high a fairly high specced PC to run it comfortably. There nothing indicating that enough people are going to run out and buy a PC or Xbox just to play Starfield to even come close to the lost sales of PS5.
high spec'd?

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7 6800K.
  • Memory: 16GB RAM.
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.
  • DirectX: Version 12.
  • Network: Broadband internet connection.
  • Storage: 125 GB available space.
  • Additional notes: SSD required.
high spec? The 1070 Ti is a 6 year old GPU.

The game can run on a $299 4 tflops series s. it will run on a potato PC.

And if you dont think exclusives sell consoles then you are ignoring decades of Sony and Nintendo success. Sony wouldnt be spending $200 million on first party exclusives if they didnt believe they would get enough people to run out and buy playstations for them. i said only half of those lost 10 million sales can be recouped. i never said that they would come close.

Roxkis_ii

I bought an XsX just for Flight Simulator 2020 so there will definitely be people aching for Starfield. First thing people need to stop assuming is that everyone has a PC already or that it can run games at highest settings. If not, a $500 console will get the job done. If you are on PC but playing 1080p, low shadows, medium details and AA turned off, you have no right to voice your opinion lol.
Gotcha, anything else?

GHG

This is simply a matter of Sony accepting XCloud on their consoles :)

Now this is an interesting change of tact.

So it's Sony's fault (always is isn't it?) now instead of Microsoft's for removing a game that was already set to release natively on other hardware?

And tell me, how does XCloud stack up against a native gaming experience? Especially for those residing in regions/countries where xCloud is yet to launch?

Ozriel

M$FT
spiderman-thats-it.gif

Birds of the same feather indeed 😂

Dumb analogy. Last-gen Xbox fans were complaining about games that never come to Xbox in the first place.

This is a game genre that not only is frequent on PlayStation, it was going to be released. Not even close to the same.

Sony exclusives are in house or timed. They don't buy big multiplatform publishers and refuse to release big franchises already being worked on for other platforms.
Not the same SONY that bought Guerrilla Games and bang when their multi-platform work.

FrankWza

This whole thread is people aching for Starfield and trying to convince themselves they don't understand what an exclusive is. It will reach an unbearable peak in the coming weeks.
It has now become when you buy a publisher and make every IP that was planned to release on other consoles exclusive to yours. Like Call of Duty will be?

HTK

Banned
This game won't reach the sales it probably deserves without PlayStation. They will get a boat load of folks on Game Pass to play it and Microsoft will flash those millions of numbers in your face. Starfield could be a game to start putting Microsoft in a good light if it delivers.

Helghan

This game won't reach the sales it probably deserves without PlayStation. They will get a boat load of folks on Game Pass to play it and Microsoft will flash those millions of numbers in your face. Starfield could be a game to start putting Microsoft in a good light if it delivers.
I can see them releasing a remastered version on the PS6

Gorgon

But why would I have to buy a PS5 to play Spider-Man ? Answer : because the game is exclusive. Same situation then.

Truth be told, if you have a PC, why would you play Spidey on PS when you can get mods like these:

Ahhh, mods. It's the only thing that is going to make me go back to PC next gen. I was so happy just with consoles but mods, man, mods.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Listen, if Xbox want to remove games from other platforms after purchasing studios/publishers and do timed exclusives where it's possible, then cut the kumbaya PR crap. Be proud.

someone criticizes GIF
Do not worry, they will, as soon as they do not think FTC and CMA and other regulators are still listening they will. Then they will be quiet when they try to buy another big publisher… until regulators scram off if they play the world smallest violin card right again ;).

Listen, if Xbox want to remove games from other platforms after purchasing studios/publishers and do timed exclusives where it's possible, then cut the kumbaya PR crap. Be proud.

someone criticizes GIF

This is not about PlayStation. It's about getting casuals hooked on gamepass, getting them out of their comfort zone of Fifa and GTA Online.

Of course if they release it on PS systems, it will undermine this effort. Them being casuals will simply get it on PS cause it's more popular console.

PlayStation can negate this issue by allowing Gamepass on their system. But they won't agree to this, hence exclusivity is a must.

In a way, it's Sony thats blocking PS players access to Starfield via Gamepass.

Rykan

high spec'd?

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7 6800K.
  • Memory: 16GB RAM.
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.
  • DirectX: Version 12.
  • Network: Broadband internet connection.
  • Storage: 125 GB available space.
  • Additional notes: SSD required.
high spec? The 1070 Ti is a 6 year old GPU.

The game can run on a $299 4 tflops series s. it will run on a potato PC.
Those are the minimum system requirements. It will barely run with those specs. Here is what is actually recommended:
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Besides, even a GTX 1070 TI is way ahead of many of the most common GPU people use, according to Steams hardware survey. The game will be developed and optimized specifically for Series S. PC won't have that luxury.
And if you dont think exclusives sell consoles then you are ignoring decades of Sony and Nintendo success. Sony wouldnt be spending $200 million on first party exclusives if they didnt believe they would get enough people to run out and buy playstations for them. i said only half of those lost 10 million sales can be recouped. i never said that they would come close.
Why don't you take it from the man himself? Even Spencer knows that Starfield being an 11/10 game isn't going to get people to go out and buy an Xbox if they already have a PS5, and they won't do the same for a PC either. Even saying half of those sales are going to be recouped is wrong. The idea that half of the people who would have purchased SF on PS5 have access to a good, capable gaming PC OR are gonna go out and get one just to play Starfield is absurd. It just is.

Take the game away from that many people = what Phil says, right? About reaching more players?

What a joke he is. I’m glad he’s been exposed as the fraud he always was.

jumpship

I'll enjoy Starfield mate. SONY like Microsoft had to buy in most of their talent, so don't come the 'gaming company' with me.

Lol that's all you took from my post smh. I dont expect you to see the difference between a company buying small and nurturing talent over decades to get where they are today and a company simply buying their way to a similar position making massive unprecedented purchases to remove established IP they both used to share.

One literally creating great games while the other is simply removing great games to 'compete'.

Thats not Karma which was my original point.

Lol that's all you took from my post smh. I dont expect you to see the difference between a company buying small and nurturing talent over decades to get where they are today and a company simply buying their way to a similar position making massive unprecedented purchases to remove established IP they both used to share.

One literally creating great games while the other is simply removing great games to 'compete'.

Thats not Karma which was my original point.
You can keep trying to make this “point” you think is so profound for some reason, but no one gives a shit. No one with a brain believes that Sony wouldn’t employ the same tactics as MS if they were even half as successful as a company.

Yeah, Like Naughty Dog, Psygnosis, and Guerrilla Games were small studios

I don't expect you to see the difference mind...

jumpship

You can keep trying to make this “point” you think is so profound for some reason, but no one gives a shit. No one with a brain believes that Sony wouldn’t employ the same tactics as MS if they were even half as successful as a company.

No one gives a shit but replies anyway, and with a lazy SonyToo argument on top lol.

There's nothing profound about creating great games in the gaming market. That should be the expectation. See Sony and Nintendo and their market positions for further proof.

Top Bottom