• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/xbox-expected-starfield-sell-10-144156712.html
Microsoft estimated it could get 10 million Starfield sales on PlayStation, but – surprise – opted to make it to an Xbox console exclusive instead.

Yesterday, July 13, a US court released its findings from the case of the Federal Trade Commission against Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard. The court documents reveal Microsoft Gaming's CFO Tim Stuart believed the company could see over 10 million Starfield sales on PS5 alone if it had kept Bethesda's RPG on Sony's platform.

Obviously, we know Starfield isn't coming to PS5 anymore. What persuaded Microsoft to ditch these 10 million potential Starfield sales was the belief the company could recuperate these profits by launching Starfield via the Xbox Game Pass subscription service on both Xbox Series X/S and PC, not to mention increased console sales.

Dang, maybe this game will be big enough move some units on its own. This is indicating a much bigger launch as we get closer to release than any previous Bethesda game except maybe Skyrim.

dotnotbot

hgz8rl8.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They dont need PS5 audience for this game. Everyone will buy this on PC anyway.

Skyrim, Witcher 3, Diablo, Starfield and Cyberpunk are basically PC franchises that tend to sell well on consoles. If they dont release on consoles, people will just buy PCs or Xbox. Elden Ring/souls games have turned into PC franchises too. I believe half of the sales came on PC.

MS will make up at least 50% of those 10 million lost sales on xbox and PC. The few people who wont upgrade to PC or buy an xbox were likely never going to buy this at full price anyway.

Those criticizing the move, turn it around towards PlayStation and decide how much Sony lost by not putting Horizon, GoW and TLoU and Spider Man on Xbox.

MS finally understands the importance of exclusives. If you fault MS for doing what Sony and Nintendo have done all along, you're being a raging hypocrite.

Yeah, I’m not convinced that keeping it exclusive was the best idea from a money making perspective. Phil’s whole thing has been about making gaming more accessible for more players (depending on how you want to interpret that).

I don’t give a shit either way, playing this on PC later this year when I have time.
Microsoft has proven that they are literally willing and able to write off billions for the Xbox division.

PlayStation actually has to turn a profit because they don't have Office 365.

Edit no really were do people think the 70 billion USD for Activision comes from? Halo Infinite sales? Lol.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Those criticizing the move, turn it around towards PlayStation and decide how much Sony lost by not putting Horizon, GoW and TLoU and Spider Man on Xbox.

MS finally understands the importance of exclusives. If you fault MS for doing what Sony and Nintendo have done all along, you're being a raging hypocrite.
"Exclusives" are fine, this is what people are making fun of.
"When everyone plays, we all win"

Freeman76

They dont need PS5 audience for this game. Everyone will buy this on PC anyway.

Skyrim, Witcher 3, Diablo, Starfield and Cyberpunk are basically PC franchises that tend to sell well on consoles. If they dont release on consoles, people will just buy PCs or Xbox. Elden Ring/souls games have turned into PC franchises too. I believe half of the sales came on PC.

MS will make up at least 50% of those 10 million lost sales on xbox and PC. The few people who wont upgrade to PC or buy an xbox were likely never going to buy this at full price anyway.
Im buying it on xbox so not everybody is buying on PC

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is what's known as a loss leader.

Take a hit on the profit to make up for it with increased traffic for the overall business. Very curious to see if it does significantly drive up subs, because if it doesn't (or at least insufficient for MS' expectations) I'm curious as to what will happen next.

Is this the sort of game to pull in new users to the service/platform as opposed to encourage them to upgrade their PC?
Not downplaying the appeal, i just wonder if a Bethesda RPG is the right fit to drive uptake because of the sort of game it is?

I mean, objectively speaking if I was giving the job of picking a game to drive people onto Xbox/Xcloud I'd pick something a bit more casual, something with more chance of going viral.

The concept "exclusive" means vastly different things to Sony and Microsoft.

Sony exclusive means PS5/console only
MS mean PC (steam) AND xbox

In essence, whenever MS decides to go exclusive, it includes two different markets, not just one.
except everyone knows Sony “exclusives” will come to PC anyway.

Ozriel

M$FT
starfield is going to be the reality check (for good and for bad) MS needs to figure out the actual impact of Game Pass.

is going to be very interesting to see the messaging and sales charts of this game.

It will sell gangbusters on Steam. You’ll see that on sales charts. And either sell very well on console or drive Gamepass subscriptions.

This is what's known as a loss leader.

Take a hit on the profit to make up for it with increased traffic for the overall business. Very curious to see if it does significantly drive up subs, because if it doesn't (or at least insufficient for MS' expectations) I'm curious as to what will happen next.

Is this the sort of game to pull in new users to the service/platform as opposed to encourage them to upgrade their PC?
Not downplaying the appeal, i just wonder if a Bethesda RPG is the right fit to drive uptake because of the sort of game it is?

I mean, objectively speaking if I was giving the job of picking a game to drive people onto Xbox/Xcloud I'd pick something a bit more casual, something with more chance of going viral.

If it doesn’t drive up subs, it means it’ll have sold a lot on console. There’s really no losing hand there.

You also seem to believe Bethesda RPGs don’t sell on console. Skyrim was a big seller on console. while PC sold a whole lot more in the long run, the 360 version accounted for 59% of launch week sales.

as opposed to encourage them to upgrade their PC?

You think most console gamers have gaming PCs?

You wouldn’t pick the one game that drove more interest in their Showcase than any other game in years? The one with a Deep Dive that went viral?

Spitfire098

It's locked to sell on PC. More important to see how the consoles performs sales wise. I mean sales won't be large anyways due to gp, but still.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The only thing Im excited about with this game is to see what sales numbers will be, because 99% of people will be playing via RentPass.

Even with that percentage being hyperbole I bet it'll still end up being Bethesdas lowest selling game. Renting it for a month doesnt count as a sale, kids.

Microsoft on release week: "3 million downloads via GamePass"

"Well what about sales numbers?"

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

shamoomoo

Yeah, I’m not convinced that keeping it exclusive was the best idea from a money making perspective. Phil’s whole thing has been about making gaming more accessible for more players (depending on how you want to interpret that).

I don’t give a shit either way, playing this on PC later this year when I have time.
It's hard to say now since Bethesda is first party but Starfield could be a timed exclusive if it flops.

Top Bottom