• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Expected To Make $1 Billion On Starfield

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Step one: pay 7.6 billion American dollars (plus tip) for Starfield

Step 2: publicly state you (hope to) reach $1 billion (hopefully) in sales (4 years from now)

Step 3: ?

Step 4: profit!

Anh1kEf.jpg
What a stupid post. Where was any of this publicly stated?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't believe there is a prayers chance that Starfield makes $1 billion.

I'd love to see the math where they come up with that number.
You need 10 million copies in year 1 at $70 to hit $700 million. the rest is easy. Cyberpunk sold 13 million in a month. Elden Ring sold 10 million in a month. Hogwarts made $850 million in 12 days.

The only problem is that they are launching this on gamepass and the word of mouth isnt particularly great so it will hurt the game's legs AND the first month's sales. I guess we wont know the true impact of either unless they announce sales figures.

That isn't really suprising but at the same time it's actually insane that the game could sell that well while doing nothing really innovating at all.

I mean jesus, the prone crawling mechanic alone in Last of Us Part 2 felt more innovative than probably this entire game.

That's not saying Starfield is bad though because I think it's pretty fucking awesome.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You need 10 million copies in year 1 at $70 to hit $700 million. the rest is easy. Cyberpunk sold 13 million in a month. Elden Ring sold 10 million in a month. Hogwarts made $850 million in 12 days.

The only problem is that they are launching this on gamepass and the word of mouth isnt particularly great so it will hurt the game's legs AND the first month's sales. I guess we wont know the true impact of either unless they announce sales figures.
The fact that MS only announces player counts is telling.

I do think Starfield will do well, but (sadly) I do not think it will move the needle all that much in the console space. As you said, word of mouth hasn't been as strong as for something like Baldur's Gate 3.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Would be interesting to see how many Xbox accounts downloaded and played it (on Xbox and PC) via Game pass. Also if we could ever see how many of those accounts then went and bought a copy and if/what Microsoft's expectation of that is (has to be a minor conversion % , but they have to have some expectation there).

ungalo

It's pretty obvious it was before the acquisition.

It also shows that they expected 1 billion for TES 6 in one fiscal year, so they didn't believe Starfield was the next TES.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Which they'll never do. If sales #'s do come out it'll be a fucking leak just like every MS related thing lately lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wasn't it already revealed that they made $200 million from Premium Edition pre-sales alone?
People were definitely hyped to play the game. I was one of those who bought the Premium Edition Gamepass version.

It's just now that it is out and exposed to the masses, word of mouth hasn't been as strong and it seems like it will be forgotten far sooner than previous Bethesda games.

Yes, it does some things well.

kaizenkko

With gamepass? It's almost the end of September and Microsoft has not yet announce any subscription boost thanks to the GOTY.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
With gamepass? It's almost the end of September and Microsoft has not yet announce any subscription boost thanks to the GOTY.
Even if they do, that data would be almost useless because they also migrated XBLG users to Game Pass (Core) in September -- at the exact time of Starfield's release.

So even if they announce 32 million subscribers now, we won't know if those are because of the XBLG migration or Starfield.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Even if they do, that data would be almost useless because they also migrated XBLG users to Game Pass (Core) in September -- at the exact time of Starfield's release.

So even if they announce 32 million subscribers now, we won't know if those are because of the XBLG migration or Starfield.
I'm gonna guess it's somewhere in between 40 and 50 million users. It was probably around 30 million before Starfield launch, and adding the 10m (more or less) converted Gold users plus Starfield subs should put it in that 40-50m range.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Hahaha this dated formula/game design isn’t going to have “long legs” in 2023 and beyond. Hahahahahahahaahahaaa
Well, it seems to be doing pretty great in Xbox charts. https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-chart

4 weeks most played for a single-player game seems unheard of for an Xbox game. Also, each DLC drop will boost players and sales, and this is the kind of game that will also get continual updates with each hardware release. I don't think we see Skyrim or Fallout numbers, but I do think that you and a lot of other people here are massively underestimating what this game will probably do in the end.

How TF people are still incapable to understand a developer makes a fraction of the full retail price? I don’t even get into revenue vs. net profit.

It's even worse.

The game is on GamePass. That's 10m players, not 10m copies sold. Where do you think a huge chunk of those players are.... dun dun dunnnn!!!

//DEVIL//

The game was on cracked sites before it was released, because they didn't want to add Denovo or whatever it's called.

And then there is a game pass which has a purpose not to buy games.

I don't see this game making half that at all inits life.

How many copies have they sold so far? Wasn't the peak player 350k or something on Steam?

Let's assume it sold Double that or even triple. Hell they sold 4 million copies already which is 280 million

That's assuming they sold 4 million during all this hype, which they didn't.

So unless I am mistaken somewhere, the math is way off for them

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Isn't this from before they were bought by Microsoft?

AKA before the game would have been day 1 on Gamepass?

Before the game was 1 console exclusive?

Might be some relevant info there for this thread lol

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fallout 4 generated $750M in 24 hours and people think Starfield won't hit $1B after 4 years? I love mocking the game as much as anyone else but let's be real here.
This was when people paid $60 for the game. Now MS are being forced in to giving the game away for a lot less. Somehow people still do not understand that the sub model is completely unsustainable apart from rich kid Xbox being funded by their rich Daddy. It’s all fake I’m afraid.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm gonna guess it's somewhere in between 40 and 50 million users. It was probably around 30 million before Starfield launch, and adding the 10m (more or less) converted Gold users plus Starfield subs should put it in that 40-50m range.
That seems close. My guess is that it'd be around between 36M and 43M.

Last edited:
Top Bottom