• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YEBIS 2 Bringing Visual Fireworks to PS4 Developers

CREMSteve

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/08/yebis-2-bringing-visual-fireworks-to-ps4-developers/

YEBIS 2 has been in R&D for a decade now, and you’ll see it in more games as we settle into this next generation. Developers appreciate our software as it piggybacks on a game’s engine itself (e.g., Square Enix’s Luminous Engine, Direct X 11 and so on). Within a day, artists go from having no post-processing effects to incorporating the full suite of features in one library, such as lens flare, bokeh effects, vignetting, and more. If you watch the trailer of Final Fantasy XV, and the tech-demo Agni’s Philosophy, you’ll see YEBIS 2 enabling those teams to push PS4 visually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ojtk9N5yo

Oh look, post processing the worst kind of visual 'fireworks'

Look at how good the luminous demo could have looked:(
That scene where the summon saves her from the hyena was a garbled mess in the tech demo reveal, now I know why :\

Hey developers, I would PAY for a dlc that lets me turn this garbage OFF in your games, thanks.

Every goddamned game shown looked worse once they turned their crap on...
First thing I did when playing Grid 2 today was turn off post processing to unshit the image quality and graphics.

Tripolygon

Banned
Its pretty obvious they put it on high to show it off. In the hands of professionals with proper settings, it will look beautiful.

Soulstar

Some of these are way too in your face. Pretty much all of the comparisons would be better served with a more subtle approach.

Every goddamned game shown looked worse once they turned their crap on...

No, not every game looked worse.

Gunslinger Stratos looked great, I could see everything the characters were shooting at. There were no visibility problems in general gameplay.

The diamonds were overdone. The demo I just linked is much more balanced and a lot easier on the eyes. Effects off, the diamonds looked bland.

The cell shaded game goes either way with me. The naruto games look almost exactly like that without Yebis.

Agni... was not that much of a difference. Both were nauseating because of the shaky cam, not the effects.

Everything else was pretty damn overdone.

The problem is not the technology itself, it's how developers implement it in their games.

Why should all games be barred from potentially having a nice coat of sheen because of a bad demonstration?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was suitably impressed. Some of the scenes looked far worse, almost unremarkable without their effects, TBH. Especially those gems and that agnus truck scene. Scene with motion blur also looked great, but the thing is, motion blur amount needs to be scaled with the framerate. It makes no sense using as much motion blur on 60FPS game as on 30FPS game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
From the video:
The improved Glare was not bad looking. and the motion blur might have it's uses... the rest...

I don't understand DOF, your eyes pretty much do it automatically, even on a 2d surface.

It'll be used sparingly from actual devs. They exaggerate it because subtlety doesn't serve their purpose.

Devs have no restraint when it comes to this shit.
Have you not played battlefield 3? or all the early gen MAXIMUM OVERBLOOM corona melting games? or the dirt games with their pissfilter? Or watched the jimmy fallon watch dogs gameplay where the Dof and motion blur were dialed up to 11.

Every game needs the option to disable this crap completely , and you don't want this crap to begin with because console games don't have the luxury of graphics settings or the community modding it out of the game.

I agree that developers should give their customers the option to customize their games to the players liking. Not everyone has the same tastes.

Fortunately, some developers do know what they are doing.

Damn, I really hope the PC version comes to fruition. The IQ in the gameplay trailer is not so great. The announcement trailer was perfection.

Unfortunately, some don't.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/24/battlefield-3-not-getting-colour-grading-options-after-all/

I reel at the thought of post processing because they can't be trusted with it.

That sucks. People aren't getting banned for using the color mods are they?

nib95

Banned
I prefer on. Depth of field/motion blur are two of my fave graphical features. I say bring it on. Less on the bloom though, unless they make the lighting and glare realistic. It was in some of those scenes, but others like the diamonds on the board, way overblown.

Top Bottom