• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZoE HD Collection Performance Analysis (It's Bad, Especially On PS3)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
how's the 360 version?

Much better apparently.

Frame rate & Performance comparison (courtesy Beyond3d)

http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53821248.html

360 Avg:54.429fps Min-Max:28.5-60.0fps Tear:0.000%(0.000%)
PS3 Avg:48.527fps Min-Max:22.0-60.0fps Tear:0.000%(0.000%)

360 Avg:39.983fps Min-Max:23.0-60.0fps Tear:0.000%(0.000%)
PS3 Avg:32.218fps Min-Max:20.0-60.0fps Tear:0.000%(0.000%)

Yikes, what the hell happened with the PS3 version here ?

Anime cinematics quality looks the same (no extra advantage of bluray space).

fee7f651.png

40e134e4.png

Texture resolution also looks about the same

a9ad7eb8.png

3bdf39c6.png

360 version seems to have a lot more motion blur

da17edc3.png

d11a68fc.png

Gbraga

Is it legal if I give 10 bucks to someone to help them buying ZoE HD and then share the Rising Demo with me? And by legal I mean "can I make that offer here without being banned?"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This demonstrates how different the demands were between MGS3 and ZOE2. Both titles pushed the PS2 very hard with MGS3 running MUCH slower on PS2 compared to ZOE2. It's clear that the areas in which ZOE2 is demanding involves particles while MGS3 is more about geometry, I'd imagine. Both systems had little trouble with MGS3 but ZOE2 is getting wrecked here. Even the 360 performance isn't as good as it should be. PS2 was a beast! I can't believe anyone even suggested porting this to the Vita. There's no way in hell that the Vita has the fillrate necessary to pull this one off.

I wonder if dropping the PS3 output resolution to 480p would improve things? While that obviously kills the "HD" portion of the title it would still be cleaner than the PS2 version and might actually improve performance since the framerate is unlocked.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Watching that video reminded me of how awesome the music is. How do the controls work on the 360 pad?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is it legal if I give 10 bucks to someone to help them buying ZoE HD and then share the Rising Demo with me? And by legal I mean "can I make that offer here without being banned?"

Don't see why not. Only x360 has separate disc according to pics, and Japan version has download codes for the demo. Knowing Capcom, I bet the ps3 demo is shareable lol

Whoa at the x360 frame rate increase

Ridley327

Wow, the 360 version is a lot better; I guess they really did take advantage of the fill-rate advantages that the hardware had. That actually makes me want to track down a 360 copy and play that, while keeping the PS3 LE wrapped up.

Watching that video reminded me of how awesome the music is. How do the controls work on the 360 pad?

Can't imagine there being any control problems; unlike MGS2&3, the ZOE game don't use analog buttons for anything.

Y2Kev

Fuck, I want the PS3 demo of Rising but the 360 ZoE HD.

Wow, the 360 version is a lot better; I guess they really did take advantage of the fill-rate advantages that the hardware had. That actually makes me want to track down a 360 copy and play that, while keeping the PS3 LE wrapped up.

Can't imagine there being any control problems; unlike MGS2&3, the ZOE game don't use analog buttons for anything.

Yeah but how is using the bumpers?

Well, if they did a direct translation of the controls, that would mean the cancel lock-on function is on LB and guard is on RB. I don't think that will be too much of a problem to get used to.
I'm more worried about button pressure sensitive sub-weapon controls. The 360 controller doesn't have analogue abxy buttons :(

Y2Kev

I don't remember the controls at all, honestly. Just that I frequently bump into discomfort with legacy-PS series on the 360 pad (DMC4 was my big example). It's generally not a problem, but I was curious.

Shadow780

I'm sticking with PS3 version. Can't stand the 360 controller for action games at all. This doesn't look like Bayonetta bad, hopefully.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MGS3 also utilized the pressure sensitive buttons, they worked around those for the HD version, granted the method of going into first person aiming was very fucked in the 360 version, the controls probably aren't as bad here.

Plus the extra performance boost means it's worth getting used to different controls ..

Ridley327

Yes. For example, Phalanx's cone of fire would be more concentrated the harder your pressed, and the number of Homing Missiles would vary also according to pressure.

Huh, I played the game to death and always assumed that it was just holding the button down that caused that stuff to happen, which I imagine is what they ended up doing.

Gbraga

Don't see why not. Only x360 has separate disc according to pics, and Japan version has download codes for the demo. Knowing Capcom, I bet the ps3 demo is shareable lol

Whoa at the x360 frame rate increase

Ok, thanks! So there's my offer, I can help with 10 bucks if the person will share the PS3 demo with me, I don't really care about the HD version since it's bad anyway, just want that demo.

If it pops up on ebay for 10 dollars I'll get it as well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Saw that coming lol. Not the first time high performance games have run worse on PS3. Fully expect Rising to be better on 360 as well.

Still buying it on PS3 since ZoE, like DMC and Metal Gear, is a Playstation franchise to me. So I'd want that version of the collector's box

Atleast both versions fixed the screen tearing from the original

I really hoped this would turn out better than this, more on the PS3 side than the 360. Like this I won't be buying the collection day one, maybe when it's cheaper.

Hmmm. I have ZOE HD for PS3 preordered at Newegg for 29.99. I have a harder time telling fps than most people probably do. I've never played these before, should I stick with PS3 or spend the extra ten bucks for the 360 version.

don't know why they even bother with these if they can't maintain a proper framerate or without just fucking everything up. these hd collections started well but (and this isn't the first time i say it) they really took a turn for the worse lately.
i guess i'll keep my preorder for the ps3 LE, i really want that artbook, although i doubt i'll even play it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
don't know why they even bother with these if they can't maintain a proper framerate or without just fucking everything up. these hd collections started well but (and this isn't the first time i say it) they really took a turn for the worse lately.
i guess i'll keep my preorder for the ps3 LE, i really want that artbook, although i doubt i'll even play it.
Konami's ones have tended to be the worst.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Except for MGS2, MGS3, Peace Walker and ZoE 1 I guess

Worst case scenario Konami will send me a copy of Shattered Soldier sealed if I keep my receipt. lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, I guess that means that the 360 version of the collection may genuinely be an improvement over the originals?

I will gladly switch my preorder over to that version if it's actually worth buying.

I think I'll probably with the PS3 version as well. I prefer Kojima stuff on Sony hardware for some reason. Also, unless I missed a cancellation announcement, the upcoming Vita version alone makes it worth owning for Transfarring (LOVE it for MGS HD!).

Those comparisons (including the frame rate numbers) look pretty close and certainly aren't dramatic enough to make this an actual issue like the botched SH-HD release.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think I'll probably with the PS3 version as well. I prefer Kojima stuff on Sony hardware for some reason. Also, unless I missed a cancellation announcement, the upcoming Vita version alone makes it worth owning for Transfarring (LOVE it for MGS HD!).

Those comparisons (including the frame rate numbers) look pretty close and certainly aren't dramatic enough to make this an actual issue like the botched SH-HD release.

I think it's worth watching the video that compares the two versions. The difference is pretty drastic... moreso than just looking at the numbers would indicate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

If these consoles are struggling this much with ZOE2 I somehow doubt that the collection will end up surfacing on Vita. It's probably cancelled.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder if Gamestop will allow me to switch platforms. Ugh. I preordered the wrong platform this time

I think it's worth watching the video that compares the two versions. The difference is pretty drastic... moreso than just looking at the numbers would indicate.

I just watched it. The 360 version does look a little faster but the PS3 version still looks fine to me. I still don't see it as dramatic a difference as some are making it out to be.

In any event, I have my coveted PS2 copy of ZOE2 which I picked up on Ebay mere months before they announced this HD-release. I can always pop that in when I want the "purest" version. :p

My 360 is a dust collector so I'm going PS3. Of course the game will be a dust collector for a while anyways. Sorry to see such poor performance, but I have no frame of reference on the game, and I'm not a purist on frame rate, so hopefully it won't affect my play too much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And some people were saying that having High Voltage develop it didn't matter!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490057

They're a technically competent studio to be sure, no worries there. If they were making the game there might be cause for concern, but it's a port, and they're great with tech.

Not sure why you're over reacting.

Kind of a surprise, but High Voltage is at least capable of being technically proficient, so I'm not too worried that we're going to see a repeat of what happened with SH HD Collection. Not to mention, KojiPro is still overseeing the game; they're not going to let them fuck it up, especially since the future of the series is at stake with this release.

Wasn't DMC HD Collection done by the same guys who did all of those Godzilla games last gen?
Good lord, what's the matter with you guys? High Voltage is a solid studio. The SH HD fiasco won't happen again.
come on, it's not like they are actually making the game.
How is this not good?

A company known for porting games to different hardware is porting a game to different hardware.

Top Bottom