• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show + Mitch McConnell = #McConnelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't believe someone thought this weird commercial was a good idea. No dialogue? It's like a silly montage of stock photo moments. Who wants McConnell creepily smiling and staring right into your soul?

Penguin

I can't believe someone thought this weird commercial was a good idea. No dialogue? It's like a silly montage of stock photo moments. Who wants McConnell creepily smiling and staring right into your soul?

Well they do point out a good use of it, could chop it up for stock political ads.

Releasing the whole thing is a bit weird though

Yeah, as he mentioned, it's a thing that politicians are starting to do these days... it's not strictly legal to just give footage to the Super PACs you supposedly aren't affiliated with (winkywink huh huh) so instead, just release a bunch of footage that happens to work great for them to chop up and edit into their commercials.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why not just release the pieces in chunks on your website, for use by 'grassroots' supporters?

I feel like the commercial format just adds so much hilarity to what otherwise might be ignored.

Yeah, as he mentioned, it's a thing that politicians are starting to do these days... it's not strictly legal to just give footage to the Super PACs you supposedly aren't affiliated with (winkywink huh huh) so instead, just release a bunch of footage that happens to work great for them to chop up and edit into their commercials.

Yeah, Colbert did a great job illustrating this when he created his Super PAC. The politician and his campaign staff cannot officially coordinate with any Super PAC under federal election laws. But there are obviously loopholes to this, such as McConnell giving out a b-roll of two and a half minutes of footage that "anyone" can use. I'm quite sure McConnell's staff and the conservative Super PACs have discussed this under the table. It's actually quite brilliant.

Why not just release the pieces in chunks on your website, for use by 'grassroots' supporters?

I feel like the commercial format just adds so much hilarity to what otherwise might be ignored.

They might have thought that would have been too obvious. Not that this isn't also awfully transparent.

explodet

Yeah, Colbert did a great job illustrating this when he created his Super PAC. The politician and his campaign staff cannot officially coordinate with any Super PAC under federal election laws. But there are obviously loopholes to this, such as McConnell giving out a b-roll of two and a half minutes of footage that "anyone" can use. I'm quite sure McConnell's staff and the conservative Super PACs have discussed this under the table. It's actually quite brilliant.
The SuperPAC loopholes are big enough to sail an aircraft carrier through.
Colbert and Stewart did a segment on the Daily Show where they were "not coordinating", on the phone with Colbert's lawyer, sitting right beside each other.

Not to mention all that 501c4 business which might as well just be legal money laundering.

The SuperPAC loopholes are big enough to sail an aircraft carrier through.
Colbert and Stewart did a segment on the Daily Show where they were "not coordinating", on the phone with Colbert's lawyer, sitting right beside each other.

Not to mention all that 501c4 business which might as well just be legal money laundering.

Yeah, Trevor Potter is Colbert's Super PAC lawyer. If I remember correctly, they even said that Potter could represent both the Super PAC and any politician the Super PAC was endorsing without running afoul of the law. Unreal.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
did you make this? cause its funnier than anything on the show actually.

the first "fuck yeah!" as he looks at the camera. haha. very good.

No, I didn't make it. Just kept popping up on twitter. I agree though it's the best I've seen.

Thought I'd make it on message for the GOP

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=nrdTX8m5G98&video_start=0&audio=pt8VYOfr8To&audio_start=14

Magneto-perfection.gif
I legit just spent 30 seconds laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom