• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Is It That Western Game Showcases Put So Much Emphasis On Showing The Creators, While Japanese Game Showcases Just Focus On Showing The Game?

I've always observed this, but it became brutally apparent today. All while watching this Direct I kept saying "why are you showing me these people". I don't give a fuck, just show me the game. Tetsuya Takahashi the creator of the Xeno games is my favorite creator in gaming. Even so, I don't want to see this dude on camera half of the time talking about Xenoblade during a showcase. I just want to see the game and let the results speak for themselves. If I gotta see you on screen more than your game, then we got a fucking problem.
Yoko Taro went around in a mask, or before that, a literal sock-puppet, because he felt him being a real ordinary human distracts from the games he makes. Many game developers are not meant to make live presentations. it's like the guy who designed the casing for PS4 being brought out to a crowd back when it was introduced; the guy was shy and went back stage as soon as he was allowed.

i don't mind when game developers have real insights about the games they make. But that is only interesting when we actually focus on the games themselves first. It should always be about the games, not the game makers.

Kojima being the exception (til Konami threw him to the curb).

No, it’s not malicious or anything. For Japan, it’s just a cultural thing. Western studios do it because the thought is that the name will show the game is in good hands and made by someone who’s made good games in the past, so it’s primarily used as a selling/ marketing tool. Obviously games are so much bigger than just one person. Especially nowadays.

Last edited:
Idk. Like sure they the same. From the final fantasy- to smash- to monster hunter-heck all the fighting games. Maybe u just watch more of the westerns ones and not the Japanese ones

Mister Wolf

We couldn't even get ten straight seconds of Avowed's combat before cutting back to showing some developer no one gives a fuck about seeing. Hellblade was even worse. How many big events does Microsoft stage a year? Two maybe three. Do we really need or want to see footage of developers doing glamour shots or riding around on tricycles in the office during these events. Yes, it was a "Developer Direct". That was a stupid idea which is why my thread was created to complain about it. Hell, one could take "Developer Direct to mean an inside look straight from the developer on what they're working on. We are here to see the product, not you on screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom