• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I dont really understand what this means, but I guess it kind of encourages me to go to the garden, so I will probably go there.
You'll know the door when you see it. It's a short walk from Andre. Plus elite knight armor is right next to it.

thanks, equipping the ring did it. didn't know it would make sure a big deal.
Your item discovery stat is in the character stats page - Max is 410 iirc, that's with 10 humanity in your counter plus the ring - with that things will usually drop when you want, even the Channeller's Trident is a short farm.

Another easy way to get humanity is to co-op - every successful boss kill nets you 1 humanity and a big slice of souls. Plus you get to practice and see the movesets of any bosses you're having trouble with yourself - free practice runs :)

The Sen's Fortress boss is great for farming because it's so quick and very low chance of the host dying (unlike say O&S).

Mistel

Banned
Sounds like I have a nice plan for what im doing this evening :)
Also in the round about area is the Stone knight set that is the first set of heavy armor you'll get which maybe of interest to you also.

So how did they go from stone guardians to the knights then? I assume the guardians are more re-purposed groundskeepers so they were supplanted by the knights.

onionfrog

After usually playing light armor characters with quick dex weapons, playing as a big bastard in heavy armor with a huge sword sure is fun!

Having poise and a big enough weapon to stagger enemies sure makes the game feel different.

<3 Claymore

kionedrik

Also in the round about area is the Stone knight set that is the first set of heavy armor you'll get which maybe of interest to you also.

So how did they go from stone guardians to the knights then? I assume the guardians are more re-purposed groundskeepers so they were supplanted by the knights.

300 years have passed since the last (and first) time you see the guardians and, although they are in the same geographical area, I think their purpose and creators are completely different.

Guardians are animated by the magic of Oolacile and guard it, basically. Perhaps Manus' power corrupted them a little like the gardeners, but we cannot say.

The Stone Knights seem to be created by an (un)holy entity to guard the tower with the Divine Ember. They cast TWoP which points to them being animated by miracles (holy power). Since the TWoP miracle is found in the Catacombs and divine damage is the only way to effectively kill the skelletons (forget the Necros), perhaps we can assume that the Stone Knights were brought to life by a strong necromancer, like Nito or Pinwheel, using the base model of the Oolacile Guardians.

They are the same but in the DLC its was explained they were just guards defending the oolalice garden. After oolacile fell they could be upgraded by Dusk.
Too bad she was kidnapped so they were stranded guarding the garden and some of them went stand-by waiting for orders or simply shut down.

Since oolacile magic is a unique mixture between miracles and sorcery they learned the forbidden art of "giving life" to an object making the Guardians possibly inmune to the abyss unlike the gardeners and Avina race, That art will be later stolen by seath and used later.

The legenday blacksmith there used some of them as a personal guards its kinda strange to see them stand by or were incapacitated by the butterfly when you reach the blacksmith place.

Now I remember the gardeners could be a oolacile creation too.

sikkinixx

Got bored with NG+ so I started anew for fun. Immediately ran and got Astora's Straight Sword and ever so slowly hacked my way through the start of the catacombs to get join the Gravelord Covenant and get that pimp sword. Damn. I just beat the bell bosses and my damage is already listed at 360. Did a few co-op fights to get the Sun Bros joining down to 15 Faith to snag the Lightning Miracle and relized I never killed the Hellkite Dragon before. Maybe I'll do it this time.

Last game I went heavy on faith with a divine claymore but rags for armour. This time heavy weapons and heavier armour so I can use some different stuff.

Mistel

Banned
300 years have passed since the last (and first) time you see the guardians and, although they are in the same geographical area, I think their purpose and creators are completely different.
The armor description labels them as stone knights with the stone greataxe being a re-purposed tool. So they could be the similar it's hard to tell maybe if they were though.

The legenday blacksmith there used some of them as a personal guards its kinda strange to see them stand by or were incapacitated by the butterfly when you reach the blacksmith place.
Well if they were guards they must have shut down after the blacksmith died then?

kionedrik

The armor description labels them as stone knights with the stone greataxe being a re-purposed tool. So they could be the similar it's hard to tell maybe if they were though.

Both armors refer to them as stone knights: Guardian Helm and Stone Helm. Perhaps we can blame this confusion on some translation error, but for the sake of the discussion can we call Stone Guardian to the ones in Oolacile and Stone Knights to the ones in Darkroot?

Side note: DS2 pre-loaded on Steam, friday can't come fast enough. :D

Jamesways

Finally killed the Hellkite Dragon last night ln NG+++. Took many, many tries to learn the patterns. Been meaning to kill it during the last few playthroughs, but after about a hundred Std arrows and a slew of Dragonslayer arrows, I gave up due to the regenerating health.

Slugged it out with both arrows and swords, but it cost me 136,000 souls and 6 humanity. Ah well.

The satisfaction of killing that damn thing was way better than the 55k souls.

Man, I love the early stages of this game, Undead Burg, Undead Parish, just awesome to run through again at the start each time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So what's the Channeler doing in the depths helping the Gaping Dragon if you don't kill him. Why would Seath care? Is it his son or something?
He keeps Channelers all over the place who look for sane Undead to kidnap for the Duke's experiments. Gameplay wise they generally aid in the chaos of an area by buffing enemies and setting up ambush points. There's one surrounded by rats in the depths, hollows in undead parish, and several in Duke's archives. The suggestion you make about the one in the depth's ability to buff the Gaping Dragon is an interesting connection though.

Mistel

Banned
Yup or maybe Beatrice shut them down.
That's a point she died in the valley of drakes so maybe she did it before being killed?
So what's the Channeler doing in the depths helping the Gaping Dragon if you don't kill him. Why would Seath care? Is it his son or something?
Well I've got no ideas I don't think it's going to find women to kidnap in the depths. Maybe it'd seen teeth and took it to the next level?

Sure Kionedrik no help to anyone if we get confused.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Reading elsewhere, apparently one idea is Seath researching the idea of using scales for immortality.
Yeah, he'd probably be interested in how the Gaping Dragon survived all this time as a parasitic creature so it's not out of the question that he'd send a Channeler to check things out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gaping is a parasitic organism?
My bad, I'm just confused and meant that more as a description than a literal definition. It's a former everlasting dragon that somehow escaped destruction and has lived in the sewers. It's gross hunger and sewer-dwelling ways transformed it into what it is now according to the guide. I assume Seathe would be interested in knowing about what other dragon's escaped the genocide and how they continue to live.

Mistel

Banned
My bad, I'm just confused and meant that more as a description than a literal definition. It's a former everlasting dragon that somehow escaped destruction and has lived in the sewers. It's gross hunger and sewer-dwelling ways transformed it into what it is now according to the guide. I assume Seathe would be interested in knowing about what other dragon's escaped the genocide and how they continue to live.
Well maybe that means the sequel is way way in the past if only 2 dragons live now well ancient is alive.
Why does Seth Bernstein have a Channeler hanging out in the church? He's Jewish. That makes no sense.
He's there for Rhea.

Actually the gaping dragon is failed experiment and was disposed in the depths, the channeler is just observing it and can support gaping dragon in the boss battle.

That's a point she died in the valley of drakes so maybe she did it before being killed?

She died battling four kings so you couldnt get her equipment, Maybe the devs put her set in that corpse for you to use later since you cant loot it before killing four kings

daninthemix

Wow, didn't realise how much gear upgrades trump levelling up. For giggles I used a trainer to level all my stats to 50 and the game was still no cakewalk, at least until I upgraded all my gear.

Guess that's why there's so many level 1 runthroughs all over the place.

Started a new proper playthrough now and am putting all my souls into gear, not levels.

KiKaL

So I just went through Blightown.

I am currently a level 45 warrior and have leveled up as the following
Vit: 25
End: 26
Str: 20
Dex: 19

I had upgraded a longsword to +5 but just started using the Dark Knight sword and it seems to be way better. Should I be switch to the Dark Knight sword and upgrading that? All the weapon upgrading and ascension still really confuses me. Also at this point what should I be leveling up stat wise? I am scared of just screwing myself if I have not already.

789shadow

Banned

I had upgraded a longsword to +5 but just started using the Dark Knight sword and it seems to be way better. Should I be switch to the Dark Knight sword and upgrading that? All the weapon upgrading and ascension still really confuses me. Also at this point what should I be leveling up stat wise? I am scared of just screwing myself if I have not already.
You should go to the Dark Souls wiki and check the stat tables for both weapons. The Longsword can go all the way to +15, or you can take it down any other path you want, while the Black Knight Sword can only go to +5, uses much rarer materials, and can't have enchantments put on it.

Mistel

Banned

The black knight sword uses twinkling titanite but does extra damage to some enemies along with being a nice scaling weapon with your stats.

Instead of a longsword you should try a sunlight straight sword or a balder side sword if you like the longsword.

Mistel

Banned
Just a personal opinion but I tried the BSS because of all the recommendations and with everything this game has to offer, BSS was pretty boring.
Scaling and the ability to follow up the strong thrust attack with a continuation is pretty handy.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So what is interesting to use then? I mean the side sword is versatile and effective, that's why it's recommend so.

I enjoyed the Lifehunt scythe and Halberd. The Lifehunt's sweeping attacks are slick and that bleed is cool, and the Halberd's heavy attack looks super cool.

black_knight_halberd_by_aloo81-d79c5fj.gif

I didn't end up using it too much because I never stuck to a strength character, but I really enjoyed the Black Knight Great Sword too. Because the R2 is really rad

black_knight_great_sword_150_with_blur_by_aloo81-d7965v6.gif

In Demon's Souls, I thought the Dragon Bone Smasher was awesome to see enemies just get flattened.

Mistel

Banned
Balder Side Sword would be the best sword in the game if it had a katana's running R1 attack.
That wouldn't suit a straight sword though really I think.
I didn't end up using it too much because I never stuck to a strength character, but I really enjoyed the Black Knight Great Sword too. Because the R2 is really rad
That's one of my favorite R2 animations it's very satisfying to do. Slash/thrust ultra greatswords are personal overall favorites.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Capra Demon down in one attempt. Love it.

I just did this too! Way to easy imo.

So despite the strong recommendations from this thread, I decided to take one last stroll in the Undead Borg to clean up the three areas I hadnt really explored there yet. That meant dying for two knights (the one guarding the ring, and the one downstairs from where I bougth the Taurus Demon), and discovering a completely new area of the Burg that I guess I found the key for in the Parish. Anyways, this area was pretty creepy, and the triple assassin attack very nearly killed me (but succeded in freaking me out), however, in the end I managed to not only traverse it, but also beat the stupidly easy boss on my first try. I guess this was where the "kill the dogs first"-tip should come in handy? I definitely followed that, and since I could block almost all his attacks without that much stamina-loss, i ended up just trying to strafe him, always blocking, but hoping he would sometimes completely miss so that I with full stamina could get in a few hits. Think I used two flasks.

Ok, I should go to bed, but tomorrow I am doing the garden and it will be glorious! Also thinking about doing some upgrading of the Claymore when I am in those parts, so that will be fun :)

Morfeo

Btw, upgraded the Claymore to +5, but after that it disappeared as an option to upgrade it more. Is +5 the maximum, can Andre only do it so far, or am I blind? Anyways, nice to have this awesome weapon that scales decent with both strength and dexterity!

Edit: Lol about telling me to go to the garden, I fucking died before I was able to enter it to the huge-ass magic-thingy :) Definitely trying again though!

Morfeo

Never mind, beat the guy that protected the garden on my second attempt. Hope he doesnt respawn as that was a long boring and ultimately quite easy fight!

789shadow

Banned
Never mind, beat the guy that protected the garden on my second attempt. Hope he doesnt respawn as that was a long boring and ultimately quite easy fight!
That particular Titanite Demon doesn't respawn.

In order to upgrade your weapon past +5, you need to get the Large Ember from the Depths and bring it to Andre. You'll also need Large Titanite Shards instead of regular ones.

Morfeo

That particular Titanite Demon doesn't respawn.

In order to upgrade your weapon past +5, you need to get the Large Ember from the Depths and bring it to Andre. You'll also need Large Titanite Shards instead of regular ones.

So would you recommend the Depths for me instead then? I explored the garden a bit, and the regular enemies seemed very manageable, however, the darkness and tons of various places to go freaks me out! Fun though :)

Btw, am I the only one finding it strange how calm Andre can be with that huge monster right next door?

789shadow

Banned
So would you recommend the Depths for me instead then? I explored the garden a bit, and the regular enemies seemed very manageable, however, the darkness and tons of various places to go freaks me out! Fun though :)

Btw, am I the only one finding it strange how calm Andre can be with that huge monster right next door?
Yeah, I would recommend the depths first just so you can upgrade weapons and armor further. The Depths are also a great place to farm Large Titanite Shards (from the slimes on the ceiling in the hallway leading to the bonfire. Use Pyromancy to kill them easily.)

And it's the Titanite Demon who should be worried about Andre, not the other way around. :p

Morfeo

Yeah, I would recommend the depths first just so you can upgrade weapons and armor further. The Depths are also a great place to farm Large Titanite Shards (from the slimes on the ceiling in the hallway leading to the bonfire. Use Pyromancy to kill them easily.)

And it's the Titanite Demon who should be worried about Andre, not the other way around. :p

Haha, guess you are right about Andre, he looks pretty badass. Anyways, I dont have any pyromancy skills as I am (for now at least) a purely melee-based character, but will probably just enter the Depths tomorrow from Undead Burg just to have a look at how hard it is!

789shadow

Banned
Haha, guess you are right about Andre, he looks pretty badass. Anyways, I dont have any pyromancy skills as I am (for now at least) a purely melee-based character, but will probably just enter the Depths tomorrow from Undead Burg just to have a look at how hard it is!
Don't worry about the Pyromancy. You'll save an NPC in the Depths who will move back to Firelink and sell the Pyromancy glove so that anyone can use it.

I just did this too! Way to easy imo.

So despite the strong recommendations from this thread, I decided to take one last stroll in the Undead Borg to clean up the three areas I hadnt really explored there yet. That meant dying for two knights (the one guarding the ring, and the one downstairs from where I bougth the Taurus Demon), and discovering a completely new area of the Burg that I guess I found the key for in the Parish. Anyways, this area was pretty creepy, and the triple assassin attack very nearly killed me

You should really stop asking for directions in your first run.

Top Bottom