• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What computer games should be on Steam, but aren't?

Miguel81

268f.jpg

Add this one to the pile of "Didn't know it was on PC".

Edit:
panzer-dragoon-pc-conversion-1996-european-release.jpg

Sega was always PC-friendly.

Locust

On /r/Steam there was an idea to make a website where you could 'upvote' games you'd like to see on Steam, similar to the GOG Community Wishlist to try to drum up publisher interest. I actually registered a domain to use for it back then, but nothing came out of it since I don't really have the ability to code anything like that.

Also, my friend sent some emails to many companies and their employees to see if certain games could be released. Here's a list of what he requested and the replies he got (sent about ~30 emails to each company on different emails):

• Commandos Strike Force (no response) [Merge Games, Digital Game Factory]
  • Redneck Rampage and Messiah (Messiah is certainly a possibility, but nothing has been definitely decided at this time. Redneck Rampage is also a possibility.) [Interplay]
  • Sudden Strike (no response) [Fireglow Games]
  • The Precursors, White Gold, Boiling Point (no response) [Russobit-M]
  • SWAT 3, Soldier of Fortune (no response) [Activision]
  • Stubbs the Zombie (Unfortunately, it was taken down from Steam as Stubbs is unsupported on all 64bit operating systems as well as being unsupported on Vista, 7, 8. and 8.1. For Macs it is PowerPC only and unsupported on Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9. At the current time we have no plants to update the game or to rerelease it to play on current operating systems, especially windows as we are only a Mac company.) [Aspyr]
  • Total Annihilation (no response) [Wargaming]
  • IGI 2 (Unfortunately we cannot confirm any plans, at the moment, to release IGI2: Covert Strike on Steam.) [Codemasters]
  • Blitzkrieg (We will bring B1&B2 to Steam this year.) [Nival]
  • 7554 (We want 7554 available on Steam like you. We tried two years ago, but Steam did not interest with our game. So we can’t.) [Emobi Games]
  • 7.62, You Are Empty, Vivisector, Stalingrad (We are in discussion with Steam regarding our older titles, so keep checking our Steam catalogue regularly, as there might be some additions in the near future ;)) (7.62 got released on Steam) [1C Publishing]
  • Old Resident Evil titles (no response) [Capcom]
  • Freedom Fighters (There's a chance but it's is very unlikely. The game was published by EA but IOI games are now published by Square Enix.) [IO-Interactive]
  • Freedom Fighters (no response, over 100 emails sent to different EA employees) [EA]
  • Rainbow Six (Sorry to hear you were not able to find the version of Rainbow Six you wanted to purchase. What is the specific edition of Rainbow Six that you wanted to play? We do sell many editions of Rainbow Six on Steam, including Gold, Vegas 1 & 2, the “Collection” and others. If these are not what you want, let us know and we will work to get you the edition you do want!) (Suggested http://steamdb.info/app/13650/ http://steamdb.info/app/13660/ http://steamdb.info/app/19910/ since they're already in the database, no response since 10 march) [Ubisoft]
  • Empire Earth, Ground Control (Thank you for your support. We would love to have our game available to as many people as possible, so bringing them onto Steam is something to consider. We don’t have anything planned for those title’s yet, but potentially in the future.) [Rebellion]
  • Chicago 1930 (No plan for now to have the game on Steam but as you can assume, we would love to have all our titles available on Steam [...] Let's put Chicago 1930 on the list) [Anuman]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On /r/Steam there was an idea to make a website where you could 'upvote' games you'd like to see on Steam, similar to the GOG Community Wishlist to try to drum up publisher interest. I actually registered a domain to use for it back then, but nothing came out of it since I don't really have the ability to code anything like that.

Also, my friend sent some emails to many companies and their employees to see if certain games could be released. Here's a list of what he requested and the replies he got (sent about ~30 emails to each company on different emails):

<snip>

Aspyr still owns Stubbs? I would have thought that went to Disney as part of the Wideload acquisition. Also, it may be worth hitting up Emobi again and asking that 7554 be submitted to Greenlight.

M.Steiner

The Silent Hill games for me I think but Silent Hill 2 most of all. Can't buy a digital copy of it anywhere and physical copies can be extremely hard to find. Still have my PS2 disks but would love to see games like this release on steam.

JaseC

Edit: I submitted a support ticket to Ubi regarding Anno 1701 being unavailable digitally anywhere and also reminded it of the incomplete King Kong and Tintin listings in the Steam registry. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

Now to play the waiting game, I guess:

Thank you for your email I have passed your comments on to the concerned department, feel free to post your comment on the Ubisoft forum.

http://forums.ubi.com/forum.php

If you have any further queries or issues please do not hesitate to contact us again and we will assist you further.

Kind Regards,
Ubisoft Technical Support.

Edit: Since the reply mentioned making a thread, I went ahead and did so. I don't expect Ubi to pay much attention to it, if any at all, but people expressing agreement can only help.

JaseC

That Hasbro has yet to bring over its D&D catalogue to Steam is baffling. Atari was going to do it at some point, and although the games were never made available publicly, Valve employees own them:

icewilddaleqpudd.jpg

I actually e-mailed WotC back in February but was just told:

At this time, the games that are available on steam are Baldur's Gate and Daggerdale. We do not have any additional information regarding any other games releasing on Steam.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Anyone willing to prepare a Google doc we can edit in order to make this thread into a proper list?

It would be great to also include a column for each game stating where it is currently available (physical only, Origin, developer's website etc.) and another column for others to add details on what exactly is holding back each game (who owns the rights and needs to approve, etc).

Edit: also, another column for compatibility details and what needs to be added in to make the game support modern systems.

it's funny how in cases of availability pirates have it so much better than willingly paying customers.

wtf. fuck these licensing disputes. get grim fandango and the silent hills on steam.

JaseC

it's funny how in cases of availability pirates have it so much better than willingly paying customers.

wtf. fuck these licensing disputes. get grim fandango and the silent hills on steam.

Judging from Disney's presence in the PC DD space thus far, even if Grim Fandango were to be released digitally, it'd be exclusive to Amazon. :p

DocSeuss

I wonder if Ubi will eventually bring back Anno 1701/1701 AD (developed by a now-Ubi-owned developer and published by a now-Ubi-owned publisher).

Steam: Published by Aspyr; pulled in February 2012.
GamersGate: Published by Deep Silver; pulled at some point within the past few months.

Edit: I submitted a support ticket to Ubi regarding Anno 1701 being unavailable digitally anywhere and also reminded it of the incomplete King Kong and Tintin listings in the Steam registry. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

I'll submit a support ticket to them in the coming weeks as well.

Re: The Settlers, didn't Seven get rereleased with a Uplay-free version? Would I have to buy a new copy? Or am I completely misremembering?

Looks like The Settlers, II/II 10th Anniversary Edition, III, IV, and the german-only second remake of II haven't come to Steam. :(

Your friend is doing the Lord's Work.

Commandos Strike Force (no response) [Merge Games, Digital Game Factory]

Hm.

Redneck Rampage and Messiah (Messiah is certainly a possibility, but nothing has been definitely decided at this time. Redneck Rampage is also a possibility.) [Interplay]

Looks like we need to keep reaching out to them.

Stubbs the Zombie (Unfortunately, it was taken down from Steam as Stubbs is unsupported on all 64bit operating systems as well as being unsupported on Vista, 7, 8. and 8.1. For Macs it is PowerPC only and unsupported on Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9. At the current time we have no plants to update the game or to rerelease it to play on current operating systems, especially windows as we are only a Mac company.) [Aspyr]

What.

"We own the game, but we don't want to make any money off of it."

Rainbow Six (Sorry to hear you were not able to find the version of Rainbow Six you wanted to purchase. What is the specific edition of Rainbow Six that you wanted to play? We do sell many editions of Rainbow Six on Steam, including Gold, Vegas 1 & 2, the “Collection” and others. If these are not what you want, let us know and we will work to get you the edition you do want!) (no response since 10 march) [Ubisoft]

Okay, so what needs to happen here?

Anyone willing to prepare a Google doc we can edit in order to make this thread into a proper list?

It would be great to also include a column for each game stating where it is currently available (physical only, Origin, developer's website etc.) and another column for others to add details on what exactly is holding back each game (who owns the rights and needs to approve, etc).

Edit: also, another column for compatibility details and what needs to be added in to make the game support modern systems.

I might go and do just that.

Aspyr still owns Stubbs? I would have thought that went to Disney as part of the Wideload acquisition. Also, it may be worth hitting up Emobi again and asking that 7554 be submitted to Greenlight.

Is it possible that the Ray's The Dead guys contacted the wrong company?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stein's Gate is a good pick, luckily I have my physical deluxe copy.

Also Epic's older shareware games - One Must Fall 2097, Jazz 1 and 2, Tyrion, etc.

JaseC

I'll submit a support ticket to them in the coming weeks as well.

Che-ears.

Re: The Settlers, didn't Seven get rereleased with a Uplay-free version? Would I have to buy a new copy? Or am I completely misremembering?

Nah. In fact, it had always-online DRM until just last February. Uplay debuted with AssCreed 2 and every internally-developed Ubi title released since has used it, with the exception of Rayman Origins.

Looks like The Settlers, II/II 10th Anniversary Edition, III, IV, and the german-only second remake of II haven't come to Steam. :(

Yeah, Ubi isn't keen on bringing its GOG catalogue to other platforms. Rayman 2 was a pre-purchase incentive for Rayman Origins on Steam, but Ubi hasn't bothered making a store page for it, so the only people who own it are those who pre-ordered. It doesn't even have an icon for Detail View, haha.

Is it possible that the Ray's The Dead guys contacted the wrong company?

Possibly, but that would be odd. After reading Locust's post I e-mailed Aspyr asking if I could receive a Steam key for Stubbs if I were to purchase something of equal value from its own store (the game had a base price of $10 prior to being yanked), so we'll see what sort of response I get.

JaseC

Regarding the original Rainbow Six games, they're pretty much ready to go:

Rainbow Six: Complete app listing but only tied to Ubi employee subs; just needs its own sub and a store page.
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Complete app listing, has its own sub, and is even in the Valve employee sub; just needs a store page.
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - Urban Operations: See R6.

Ubisoft just... forgot?

Grief.exe

You can buy this on gog.com with no DRM. Add a shortcut to Steam.

I would put certain games like Indigo Prophecy, D&D games (Torment, NWN, etc), and Riddick on a lower priority due to their availability on GOG.

The 'worst case scenario' is you purchase them on that service. Would we like them all in one place, sure. But at least they are available.

This is a great idea. Add a contact information portion so we can quickly send out emails.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I swear 80% of this list is just waiting for Activision to launch their own storefront.

For my part, there were a lot of interesting Activision Star Trek licensed games that are no doubt never going to see the light of day on a DD service:

Star_Trek_-_Armada_Coverart.png
250px-StarTrekArmadaIICaseArt.jpg
256px-Stds9thefallencover.jpg
250px-Star_Trek_Voyager_Elite_Force.jpg
STEF2_Cover.jpg

At this point you can't even buy the crappy shooter that came out after the reboot:

JaseC

At this point you can't even buy the crappy shooter that came out after the reboot:

Retail copies register on Steam, though. Unlike Top Gun (even though the packaging mentions Steam as a requirement). I still find it odd that Paramount Interactive was beholden to film licensing agreements considering the film properties are Parramount's own. A Paramount-published game based on a Paramount film shouldn't disappear from the digital earth.

256px-Second_Sight_cover.png

I guess Crytek/Tencent dont want my money :/

Plus would love some Japanese aracde games that run on windows, pop n music series for example.

I swear 80% of this list is just waiting for Activision to launch their own storefront.

For my part, there were a lot of interesting Activision Star Trek licensed games that are no doubt never going to see the light of day on a DD service:

STEF2_Cover.jpg

I'm pretty sure DAC is on Steam. At least it was before the latest Trek movie game came out.

That said, it would be great for all those old Trek games to get on digital distribution.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Retail copies register on Steam, though. Unlike Top Gun (even though the packaging mentions Steam as a requirement). I still find it odd that Paramount Interactive was beholden to film licensing agreements considering the film properties are Parramount's own. A Paramount-published game based on a Paramount film shouldn't disappear from the digital earth.

Tell that to Other Ocean, developers of War of the Worlds.

shop-cover.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644991

Delisted from XBLA. Never released for PC.

cifaldi_wotw.png

I don't get Paramount at all.

JaseC

Plus would love some Japanese aracde games that run on windows, pop n music series for example.

Myself and a couple of other GAFers e-mailed Crytek about bringing Second Sight back to Steam/GOG but were ignored. The company hasn't even bothered to return Homefront to Steam despite the fact it's a Steamworks game that continues to be sold elsewhere. Immensely frustrating.

I'm pretty sure DAC is on Steam. At least it was before the latest Trek movie game came out.

That said, it would be great for all those old Trek games to get on digital distribution.

DAC was yanked last June. You're probably thinking of the Scamco-published TPS.

Edit: Oh wait, Into Darkness released in May. I thought it was later.

Edit edit: Oh, "latest Trek movie game". I can't read. :p You're still right, though.

amardilo

For some reason the first games that came to mind are Theme Park and Theme Hospital (I bought Theme Hospital from GOG but it would be nice to have it on Steam too).

Would love the MS Arcade Game Room games.

Oh yeah that too. Got to get my TwinBee scores up!

Man this thread is so awesome. Most of these, I wouldn't care if steam had it or if some other store front would have it, just release them!!!

I swear 80% of this list is just waiting for Activision to launch their own storefront. For my part, there were a lot of interesting Activision Star Trek licensed games that are no doubt never going to see the light of day on a DD service:

These are on the top of my list of games Most well made. I never expect to see again. Activision and Paramount started sueing each other over who was hurting Star Trek more. Its just a mess, more so than most any other title listed here. I never got to play Elite Forces II.

As for all the other activision games, most aren't so complicated, just need the will.

Speaking of will, Microsoft has way too many games that you can't get anymore.

I would really like to see the Touhou games and other doujin games on Steam.

There's hundreds and hundreds, thousands I think. If you count fangames. And there's a lot of really impressive and fun games. But none of them are on Steam. I'm happy that ZUN has said he's interested in Steam. Because I really want to buy Touhou Project and other doujin games there. It's one of my favourite things about PC gaming.

I'm so happy, by the way, that more and more doujin games are coming to Steam. I think it's great that Western publishers like Carpe Fulgur are starting to bring indie and doujin games to Steam.

klinkcow

Neo Member
1310346942-01.jpg

images

just realized this never came out on pc...but it did come out on Nintendo DS, so they aren't against moving the license around.

JaseC

Possibly, but that would be odd. After reading Locust's post I e-mailed Aspyr asking if I could receive a Steam key for Stubbs if I were to purchase something of equal value from its own store (the game had a base price of $10 prior to being yanked), so we'll see what sort of response I get.

Update: Yeah, the game went with Wideload to Disney, as I'd initially suspected:

Thank you for contacting Aspyr Technical Support!

Unfortunately, the reason Stubbs was pulled from the Steam store and all digital/retail vendors was due to us no longer holding the rights to license or distribute the game. Though the game was officially unsupported on all 64 bit machines, as well as Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1, we were no longer available to distribute the game and it was removed from all digital and retail vendors.

You can still purchase an older boxed DVD version of the game on sites like Amazon and eBay, but unfortunately for Steam, there is nothing really we can do as Steam codes for Stubbs are no longer existent. If you do wish to purchase an older DVD version of the game, it will only run on Windows XP 32 bit, and only on Nvidia video cards.

Please feel free to contact us with any further issues or questions.

Thank you.
Aspyr Support

Props to Aspyr for the super quick response (~2.5 hours).

DocSeuss

Update: Yeah, the game went with Wideload to Disney, as I'd initially suspected:

Props to Aspyr for the super quick response (~2.5 hours).

Alright then, so we need to start talking to Disney about this, maybe put them in touch with Night Dive.

Of course, Disney seems to hate video games.

JaseC

Alright then, so we need to start talking to Disney about this, maybe put them in touch with Night Dive.

Of course, Disney seems to hate video games.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that hitting up Disney itself is a fool's errand. Night Dive teased Grim Fandango last August on its Facebook page but later deleted the photo/post, so whatever progress was being made ultimately stalled, not to mention that Disney Interactive has literally never published a PC game digitally outside of Amazon. The Mouse House needs convincing and I think the people that remain at LucasArts could do it if persuaded.

(Edited for clarity.)

Mature

I'll repeat what everyone has already said: The silent hill games. Also, a port of downpour so modders can fix that game.

gabbo

I would prefer a release across multiple DD services/platforms to just Steam, but I digress.
nearly all of my usual choices have shown up, but I didn't see System Shock 1 mentioned anywhere, so that would be my pick.
Also, someone mentioned not being able to run Requiem Avenging Angel on a 64bit machine; it can be done, but requires a lot of patience.

inm8num2

It's strange to me that some LucasArts games but not others are on Steam. I'd love to see them fill out that catalog (and please put them on GOG, too :p).

DocSeuss

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that hitting up Disney is a fool's errand. Night Dive teased Grim Fandango last August on its Facebook page but later deleted the photo/post, so whatever progress was being made ultimately stalled, not to mention that Disney Interactive has literally never published a PC game digitally outside of Amazon.

I feel like someone there has to be capable of going "oh, sure, this takes almost no work for us at all, sure!"

Novocaine

STEF2_Cover.jpg

Man, I would insta-buy Elite Force 1+2. I wish we could get a new one, those are the best Trek games ever made in my opinion.
Well maybe Conquest Online was when it was being supported properly -_-

Fuck man, I just want another good Trek game. It's been forever I think we're due.

This used to be on Steam, I guess they took it down? I bought it a few years ago :S

Man, I would insta-buy Elite Force 1+2. I wish we could get a new one, those are the best Trek games ever made in my opinion.

Fuck man, I just want another good Trek game. It's been forever I think we're due.
I dunno, after the Abrams Trek game flopped hard, I doubt we'll see a new official game for a while. Our best bets are Star Trek: Excalibur and mods for the latest Galactic Civilizations.

Novocaine

I dunno, after the Abrams Trek game flopped hard, I doubt we'll see a new official game for a while. Our best bets are Star Trek: Excalibur and mods for the latest Galactic Civilizations.

Yeah, who wants to play a game about the reboot though. Even Voyager is better than the reboot. A new Elite Force would kick ass. Or imagine how awesome a TOS or TNG based Telltale game could be.

Top Bottom