• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails | OT | these are the mice I can do without

maxcriden

kitty1z2yz9.png

Developer: dakko dakko
Release date: May 15, 2014
Price: £8.99, €9.99, $9.99 USD, $10.99 CAD.
Platform: Wii U exclusive at launch; DX Version now out in EU for PS4/Vita
Genre: Literally on-rails shooter with platforming action
Easily pronounceable acronym for ease of discussion: SKAHBOR
Official site: http://www.scramkitty.com/
OT title explanation/song to listen to while reading the OT: www.youtube.com/watch?v=01QA90IuOYY
Supported Controllers: GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller
**Pro-tip I found on Miiverse: the more health you have, the higher you jump**

Story and Gameplay

Scram Kitty is at the mercy of an ever-expanding army of maniacal mechanised mice! You must use your magnetic Spinboard to ride energy rails deeper and deeper into the station and defeat the twisted mouse creations of a science experiment gone terribly wrong.

With a unique control system that allows for full 360-degree platforming action and thrilling 2D shooting, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails will see you glide along glowing rails, leap across chasms and create arcing streams of shots as you rid each stage of its rodent aggressors and rescue all the cats imprisoned within.

Features

•Multi-objective stages
•Distinctive weapons for ultimate destruction
•Thousands of miserable mice minions to defeat
•Gorgeous pixel graphics mixed into 3D worlds
•A blistering original electro-synth soundtrack
•Challenge Mode, for the truly dedicated
•Play on the GamePad with Scram Kitty providing commentary on the TV for others, or play on the TV with Scram Kitty's commentary shown on the GamePad

Screenshots

348a9aa0343970a7b220f0d6931983dccf8218d2.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

e821e023d444946917108dbc6b961d863715c832.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

301757e90e2a232a3007f38b298ca756e8800828.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

d19322a49ae9e2acd40bd06514f6cb84f62fed0b.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

b44d4ac4bcdf79368b319253d2137ca1b2602edc.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

e000ea608a7dcb7f7ef3fce036291ddd7a985698.jpg__0x529_q85_upscale.jpg

Video

Launch trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUdEc6gvcs

Reviews

Cubed3 - 9/10

Treasure-like in its level of sheer ingenuity, Dakko Dakko's Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is the sort of addictive shooter that is a must-own for Wii U owners and belies its initially brief appearance in the length stakes. Not exactly short to start with - thanks to the difficulty stakes - it is the draw of coming back to better times in the Challenge mode or uncovering every hidden kitty on each stage that brings considerable added value to what is already a bargain at just £8.99 / €9.99.

Critical Gamer - 9/10

Exquisitely designed and ferociously addictive, Scram Kitty is already quite clearly one of the best games of 2014. As good as their previous games are, this is Dakko Dakko’s masterpiece in the true sense of the word; a truly great work that proves them masters of their art.

Push Start - 9/10

Don’t be fooled by this title’s cutesy look, Scram Kitty has all the ingredients of a classic platformer in the making. Great level design coupled with high levels of challenge create a rhythm that most other games in the genre miss; this title will surely be an influence of similar games to come.

ONM UK - 9/10

As fun as it is tough and cute to boot, there's nothing else quite like Scram Kitty And His Buddy On Rails on Wii U, or anywhere else, for that matter.

God is a Geek - 9/10

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails, with its strange design and riveting gameplay, echoes this side of the feline personality, too. Captivating stuff.

Nerds on the Rocks - 8.57142857/10 (aka 6/7)

Scram Kitty is a fun, but tough game. Once you wrap your head around the game’s mean hook, I believe you will be addicted. And for $10 bucks you really can’t go wrong trying it out.

Nintendo World Report - 8.5/10

Expansive DLC - 8/10

Despite the game being good for a one-off, that one, solid playthrough, features many hours of heart-pounding, retry-after-retry action, that is always varied and fulfilling.

Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails is quite an engaging game, but you need to learn it to fully understand it.

Edge Magazine - 8/10

Come to terms with its idiosyncrasies and you’ll find a unique and wonderfully characterful action game; it’s well worth suffering those early scratches for the moments where it really begins to purr.

Eurogamer - 8/10

A wonderfully idiosyncratic creation that, despite its smorgasbord of influences, feels like nothing else.

Nintendo Life - 7/10

While it's probably not a top tier download title, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is still an entertaining and fun game, with big, challenging levels that all have plenty to do.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails

Special Thanks

Nibel, for designing an awesome banner.

Grizzo, for finally getting a Wii U.

daydreaming, for surely taking a free moment from Mario Golf to check this out. I hope.

scramkitty_logo_circle.png

I've been pining for this title for a long while now, so today is a special day for me.

Also, since I have some DDP credit, I won't be paying much! I've established a review thread on Reddit's /r/WiiU to raise awareness.

Easily pronounceable acronym for ease of discussion: SKAHBOR

Err... I'll just either say Scram or Scram Kitty.

I want to buy this but WHY NO AUSTRALIAN RELEASE?! :(

According to Vooks, "It is coming eventually, but due to the classification board it won’t be right away." So blame the OFLC.

zroid

Banned
Thanks for making this OT, the game looks fantastic. I hope people don't assume it's cheap garbage just because of the weird title.

daydream

Banned
daydreaming, for surely taking a free moment from Mario Golf to check this out. I hope.

Haha, I'm already on it! :)

Like I said in the Downloads thread, I really enjoyed what I've played so far. Really reminds me of similarly creative, weird and arcade-y GBA titles!

Edit: Oh, and nice OT! I really hoped someone would do one. :)

Katsuragi

I'm interested in this game, but I'm also a bit intimidated by the supposedly very steep learning curve. Bring on the impressions, GAF!

HUELEN10

Can you use the Pro Controller at all? This OT makes it seem like you can't, but the eShop page makes it seem like you can.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I gave it a 9. Don't be fooled by the game's title or cute theme, it's fucking cruel. Learn to master the tight controls and you have an absolute gem though. Really really impressed here.

Can you use the Pro Controller at all? This OT makes it seem like you can't, but the eShop page makes it seem like you can.

Yup, can confirm it works with Pro Controller.

maxcriden

Yes, you can. My mistake, added. Thank you!

I gave it a 9. Don't be fooled by the game's title or cute theme, it's fucking cruel. Learn to master the tight controls and you have an absolute gem though. Really really impressed here.

Yup, can confirm it works with Pro Controller.

Your review's in the OP. :) I enjoyed reading it, thank you Daniel! I'm looking forward to checking out the game later today.

Broken Joystick

Yes, you can. My mistake, added. Thank you!

Your review's in the OP. :) I enjoyed reading it, thank you Daniel! I'm looking forward to checking out the game later today.

:eek: A career first! Thanks for the compliments. I was gonna make this thread too because the game really does deserve the attention, glad someone else got there first though, good job.

maxcriden

Oh, I keep meaning to ask. For those who have played it, do you control Buddy along the rails, or does he auto-run/auto-slide along them? Thanks!

Penguin

The why? Anyway, thanks for posting, I'll add this to the OP. (This might be the first review scale out of 7 that I've ever seen!)

ETA: Penguin, does anything happen if I call the Nerds on the Rocks hotline?

ETA?

I believe we still have it set to Batman voice clips.

And the why as to why the cats are in space. Like there's some story in the manual.

maxcriden

ETA?

I believe we still have it set to Batman voice clips.

And the why as to why the cats are in space. Like there's some story in the manual.

ETA = edited to add. Oh. I think the story in the OP is pretty much it, as far as I know. I haven't played the game yet, though.

HUELEN10

Glad to see you can use the Pro Controller. Here's another question: do you need the GamePad? For example, in DK Baja Blast you don't, but in Wonderful 101 you do, even if you are using a pro controller.

maxcriden

Glad to see you can use the Pro Controller. Here's another question: do you need the GamePad? For example, in DK Baja Blast you don't, but in Wonderful 101 you do, even if you are using a pro controller.

What is DK Baja Blast? (I don't think you need the GamePad if you're using the Pro, though.)

wsippel

Banned
Just played for an hour. Very charming if a bit simplistic presentation, but god damn this game is hard. The controls in general and the inertia mechanic in particular take some time to get used to.

Oh, I keep meaning to ask. For those who have played it, do you control Buddy along the rails, or does he auto-run/auto-slide along them? Thanks!
You control Buddy.
Just played for an hour. Very charming if a bit simplistic presentation, but god damn this game is hard. The controls in general and the inertia mechanic in particular take some time to get used to.
Yeah the inertia mechanic will take a while to master, and fighting the rat commander is particularly hard to fight when you can't control where you shoot ala twin stick shooters.

Portman

Thanks for the reminder, will grab this once I'm home from work. I'm hoping for more goodies like this to spend my crazy eShop balance on.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah the inertia mechanic will take a while to master, and fighting the rat commander is particularly hard to fight when you can't control where you shoot ala twin stick shooters.
It's easy to cheese the commanders, though - if you're patient. Their health doesn't regenerate. Go to the spawn point, fire a salvo or two, run for cover, wait until they disappear, repeat.

Game looks really fun and I don't usually like rail shooters

Will buy in two weeks when MK8 comes out and get it for $5 after the digital deluxe promotion!

It's easy to cheese the commanders, though - if you're patient. Their health doesn't regenerate. Go to the spawn point, fire a salvo or two, run for cover, wait until they disappear, repeat.

Yep, using the exact method lol.

And gotta say I hate Escape Kitties! I just know they'll be the source of frustration for the entirety of the game, sure it helps you master the inertia mechanic but dang I hate chasing after them with time limits for each chase points.

Might get better when I master the inertia but this game starts off easy for 3/4 stages and it ramps up alot if you wanna get all the kitty in the stage.

Broken Joystick

Yep, using the exact method lol.

And gotta say I hate Escape Kitties! I just know they'll be the source of frustration for the entirety of the game, sure it helps you master the inertia mechanic but dang I hate chasing after them with time limits for each chase points.

Might get better when I master the inertia but this game starts off easy for 3/4 stages and it ramps up alot if you wanna get all the kitty in the stage.

Man, fuck those cats you have to chase. They are already incredible hard and I'm only a few stages in.

FUCK Docking Bay 3, took me ages.

Top Bottom