• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails | OT | these are the mice I can do without

HUELEN10

Welp, I bought it, connected the Pro Controller, and the first thing I saw was "look at the gamepad".

Unlike what was posted prior, you need it. Buyer beware!

Needham

Press the minus button to swap displays. I don't know why this isn't mentioned anywhere in the game. Even some reviewers aren't aware you can do this.

HUELEN10

Oh, I just discovered while playing that you get rumble only if you use the GamePad. Game needs a patch, so get on Miiverse rumble fans!
Press the minus button to swap displays. I don't know why this isn't mentioned anywhere in the game. Even some reviewers aren't aware you can do this.
I know you can do this, but there's no way to get a main play screen AND Scram Kitty's commentary without zooming, it's a pain in the butt.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Oh, I just discovered while playing that you get rumble only if you use the GamePad. Game needs a patch, so get on Miiverse rumble fans!

I know you can do this, but there's no way to get a main play screen AND Scram Kitty's commentary without zooming, it's a pain in the butt.

Apologies, I honestly didn't even need/notice the commentary but it is an annoyance.

I've been waiting for this game for a looong time. Excited to finally play it this weekend! Also pleased by the review scores and the comments about its difficulty. Sounds like just what I was hoping for.

CLEEK

I hope that's all it is. BitTrip Runner 2 got delayed here for no damn reason so there is precedent for being fucked over.

For both Runner2 and Scram Kitty, the delay of it on the AU eShop is 100% due to the OLFC and the ridiculous hoops that game makers have to jump through to obtain certification. For tiny teams like Dakko Dakko, the work involved isn't trivial.

After I found this out, I made a thread yesterday to confirm how to set up a UK NNID to buy if from the UK eShop.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819139

1. Change country in WiiU settings from AU to UK
2. Create a new UK NNID

Yagharek

For both Runner2 and Scram Kitty, the delay of it on the AU eShop is 100% due to the OLFC and the ridiculous hoops that game makers have to jump through to obtain certification. For tiny teams like Dakko Dakko, the work involved isn't trivial.

After I found this out, I made a thread yesterday to confirm how to set up a UK NNID to buy if from the UK eShop.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819139

1. Change country in WiiU settings from AU to UK
2. Create a new UK NNID

Bit trip runner had nothing to do with oflc since it was already out for six months on steam, xbla and psn.

Thanks or the resource though.

I'll still buy the game if it's released locally though.

CLEEK

Bit trip runner had nothing to do with oflc since it was already out for six months on steam, xbla and psn..

As far as I'm aware, each platform holder does things differently when it comes to getting games certified. So the fact it's available on XBLA has no bearing on the eShop version etc.

http://www.wiiuonly.com/2013/04/wii-u-version-of-runner-2-will-be.html

The EU release is tomorrow at 3pm!

Unfortunately, the Australian release is delayed, due to rating board issues.

-Alex Neuse, Gaijin Games

In other news...

zlCfzR7fhFg_h1XgwV.png

Yuterald

Finished a bunch of levels already with all Cats rescued. Unlocked the path to what looks like the final level, but you need 70 cats. Loving it. Mechanics/controls clicked almost instantly. It may be my "Fluidity" for Wii U. Probably the coolest original downloadable-only title for the system so far too.

Man, between this game, Super Time Force on X1 and Kero Blaster on PC (with some Gunhound EX on Steam on the side still), I'm in old school action arcade game shooter heaven!

maxcriden

This is a really clever, fun game. My wife and I tried it earlier and did the tutorial, switching off levels. It was a bit dizzying for her so it's going to be one I play on my own, in which case I'll probably do it as off-TV play. Super fun though, and it controls very fluidly, even with the d-pad (although I'm not sure if I'll use analog or d-pad yet; anyone have a preference as of yet?).

Yuterald

This is a really clever, fun game. My wife and I tried it earlier and did the tutorial, switching off levels. It was a bit dizzying for her so it's going to be one I play on my own, in which case I'll probably do it as off-TV play. Super fun though, and it controls very fluidly, even with the d-pad (although I'm not sure if I'll use analog or d-pad yet; anyone have a preference as of yet?).

I'm using the analog stick and playing on my TV. Not really having any issues with this configuration. I'm probably an odd Wii U fan though as I don't particularly care for/use off-screen play, like ever. If I want to play a portable, I'll play my 3DS/Vita, etc., hah!

jholmes

Definitely the stick. I keep drifting back to the D-pad, but it's sorta lousy when it comes to those swooping corners.

maxcriden

I'm using the analog stick and playing on my TV. Not really having any issues with this configuration. I'm probably an odd Wii U fan though as I don't particularly care for/use off-screen play, like ever. If I want to play a portable, I'll play my 3DS/Vita, etc., hah!

You know, I don't normally use OSP either, but I think this is a game where I could reasonably play some while talking on the phone or something, and that tends to be easier on the smaller screen. Just not sure how soon I'll get a chance to play much of it otherwise.

Definitely the stick. I keep drifting back to the D-pad, but it's sorta lousy when it comes to those swooping corners.

Ah, that's a good point. It's a solid D-pad, to be sure, but I do prefer others, like the one on the DS Lite. This one is a bit blocky for my tastes sometimes.

I was getting so frustrated with this game yesterday! Controls are taking some getting used to... and those cats you have to chase down? UGH! I think I'm just going to go through the game minimally at first and, by then, I should have the controls down to open up more levels.

Does the Pro Controller make things any better? It doesn't really seem like it would, but who knows.

maxcriden

I was getting so frustrated with this game yesterday! Controls are taking some getting used to... and those cats you have to chase down? UGH! I think I'm just going to go through the game minimally at first and, by then, I should have the controls down to open up more levels.

Does the Pro Controller make things any better? It doesn't really seem like it would, but who knows.

I guess I don't think it would, but maybe HUELEN can let us know. My plan is definitely to beat the levels with the bare minimum, and then re-do levels in additional runs to get the extra cats. Similar to how I play 3DW for the green stars and TF for the letters and puzzle pieces.

JoeFu

Banned
Music is awesome, but I suck at this game. It's hard to remember that you have to change whatever direction you're moving the stick depending on where on whatever platform you're on. I have like 11 cats I think? Beat the first 4 levels or so with all cats founds. Kept dying on the level where you avoid the spikes at the left and go all the way around and ride the rail that forces you back to the beginning.

bart64

Banned
Liking this more and more as it gets easier to control. Controls seems awkward at first but now I'm getting the feel and appreciating the challenge. Best description I can think of is 16-bit graphics and gameplay and difficulty and creativity but with an extra twenty years of experience. Old school goodness.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
These few past weeks have been all scores on the indie eShop. Scram Kitty is ace, in that old-school-arcade way.

Finally saved all 4 cats in Docking Bay 3. The precision and understanding of the level layout this game requires for the jumps and maneuvering between rails is insane.

This may have beaten out Toki Tori 2+ for my favorite eShop game.

zlCfzR7979cByHLv_x

I'm really loving this game so far. Glad I read more reviews on this. The whole feel and soundtrack reminds me of something that would come out during the Dreamcast era.

On-rails shoot-em-up/character action hybrid? Sounds super strange, I'll be sure to buy it after getting through Stick it to the Man.

Damn this is hard. It's one of those games where you just laugh when you die because of how bad you suck at it and need improvement. Loving the music too.

That's one of my favorite feelings to get from a game!
It's truly a game that involves a complete rethinking on how to effectively play. We've seen these mechanics before, but in this particular way or design, and it demands that you understand how things function on a deeper level to really have any chance at success. Another great aspect is how it teaches you things so quickly without a huge text box yelling at you and stopping the game, but, it's there if you need it. Shit is legit in all the best ways.

maxcriden

It's truly a game that involves a complete rethinking on how to effectively play. We've seen these mechanics before, but in this particular way or design, and it demands that you understand how things function on a deeper level to really have any chance at success. Another great aspect is how it teaches you things so quickly without a huge text box yelling at you and stopping the game, but, it's there if you need it. Shit is legit in all the best ways.

That's awesome. I'm so psyched to play more. I'm a bit disappointed my wife couldn't get into it because it means we won't be able to enjoy it together in the same way, but I can understand the zooming in and out and such being a bit dizzying. I'm eager to play more myself, though, hopefully I can carve out a bit of time to do so tomorrow when she's studying. I'll be sure to report back with further impressions!

phanphare

Banned
picked this up today. great game so far! the controls are really satisfying. flying around a corner at top speed feels great. has there been a game with mechanics like this before?

aechris

Just want to add a +1 to "this game is amazing."

I have not had fun like this with a video game in a while. It really feels like something brand new, which is not something you come by too often any more.

Highly recommended! Don't sit on the fence! Pull the trigger!

Top Bottom