• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails | OT | these are the mice I can do without

daydream

Banned
The Engine Room 5 is quite difficult...I can't seem to find the cat that runs away. Anybody know?

I'm not even close to that level, yet, but if you're playing on the TV, you can watch the gamepad once you hit the cat to see where it goes (and vice-versa). If you're only playing on the Gamepad, hit the minus button when you touch the cat to see where it ends up at.

how many level in this game?

Someone conveniently posted a level map right above you. :p

I'm not even close to that level, yet, but if you're playing on the TV, you can watch the gamepad once you hit the cat to see where it goes (and vice-versa). If you're only playing on the Gamepad, hit the minus button when you touch the cat to see where it ends up at.

That's not the problem. The thing is I can't even find the cat to begin with...

popyea

I had 3 cats waiting for me at the exit after spending a long time clearing the level and grabbing/doing everything. Only the boss kitty was left, and since I had full health, I decided to go for it. He kicked my ass, and killed me as i was trying to retreat with 1 health left. I'm so dumb :(

how many level in this game?

If the post above you is all of them, 30. Edit: or 29, whatever.

jholmes

zlCfzR86HfogUPG2ni

I really am loving this game. All of the game levels so far have been very satisfying to beat and master.

The Engine Room 5 is quite difficult...I can't seem to find the cat that runs away. Anybody know?

If you could jog my memory about the stage, I'd probably remember as I only beat it the other day. I tried looking online for a video or even images of the level so I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT: Is it the one with those two big spinning turrets on the far right? If so, you have to beat both of them.

EDIT 2: ARGH, that was it. Glad you found it!

New week, new paycheck and a bit of extra cash to throw around. Just picked this up, my first impression...Damn that mission select song is hot! Just spent 3 minutes cooking to it. If the rest of the tunes are that good then the soundtrack alone would be worth price of admission.

maxcriden

New week, new paycheck and a bit of extra cash to throw around. Just picked this up, my first impression...Damn that mission select song is hot! Just spent 3 minutes cooking to it. If the rest of the tunes are that good then the soundtrack alone would be worth price of admission.

It's super catchy in general, from the little I've heard.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
So, I saw this game being featured in the Miiverse crowd on my Wii U's home menu, assumed that this meant that it had finally launched... nope! All the posts that pop up are of the "This game is so good you have to get it now" variety, even.

I'm resigned to the lousy situation that keeps indies from coming to Australia, but it was really annoying to have a section that is supposed to promote recent releases (otherwise Mario Kart would already be up there) contain something that isn't actually released. Like dangling a carrot in front of my nose, but then I reach for it and find out that it was just a hologram.

Is the selection of titles in this screen just based on the European miiverse regardless of where you are, or what? It seems really weird that we have a separate eShop that's not correctly reflected in this other thing that is supposed to be tied to it...

Oh well, I'll just go back to waiting (got plenty of stuff to play, just felt like this was a weird case).

popyea

So, I saw this game being featured in the Miiverse crowd on my Wii U's home menu, assumed that this meant that it had finally launched... nope! All the posts that pop up are of the "This game is so good you have to get it now" variety, even.

I'm resigned to the lousy situation that keeps indies from coming to Australia, but it was really annoying to have a section that is supposed to promote recent releases (otherwise Mario Kart would already be up there) contain something that isn't actually released. Like dangling a carrot in front of my nose, but then I reach for it and find out that it was just a hologram.

Is the selection of titles in this screen just based on the European miiverse regardless of where you are, or what? It seems really weird that we have a separate eShop that's not correctly reflected in this other thing that is supposed to be tied to it...

Oh well, I'll just go back to waiting (got plenty of stuff to play, just felt like this was a weird case).

Just in case you're not aware, you can still download the game. I'm in Australia too, and in order to download from the European eShop, you just have to create a European NNID, and then when you log into that user, change your country of residence to United Kingdom (or any euro country) in the system settings. The game will be available for all existing users as well, so you can log out and play it with your usual account.

This game is brutally difficult but I'm having a ton of fun with it. Definitely one of the best eShop games on the Wii U so far and probably in my top 5 games on the system overall.

bart64

Banned
Gotta say a couple things because it's the kind of game I've been asking for for a while.

It's just a real gamer's game. If you're in your 30s you may recall the 16-bit era as the pinnacle of skill based gaming. Innovation was king, brand new genres were being born and refined, 3D and complex controllers had not yet bifurcated the market, the graphics were lovingly crafted pixel by pixel, frame rates were smooth as silk. Most importantly, the 8-bit mentality of making every level count still reigned, you had to earn your passage by learning new mechanics, working on your reflexes, and praying to the heavens to let you progress.

That's the kind of game this is. It asks so much from you, but gives it all back and then some. New twist on gravity, jumping, shooting, level design. It's all the stuff we used to expect from a new game; the stuff that actually makes you feel like you accomplished something when you beat it, that you took on a new obstacle and conquered it.

Maybe I've missed all the brilliant paltformers and shooters that play at this level. I've heard similar things about Super Meatboy and smaller PC indy games, and some Nintendo platformers still have some of it, but personally, this is the first game I can recall that captures the best of the 90s hardcore mentality since the 90s. It's simply the coolest of the cool, if there is anything else that recreates this feeling please let me know, would love to try it.

Enjoying the game so far though I was hoping for a little more over-the-top presentation value when it comes to the menus and whatnot. Also, I can understand discovery is part of the charm and the manual is available, but a somewhat quick tutorial on the mechanics would've gone a long way to spare a few needless deaths/timesinks.

Nonetheless, the top down shooter genre is woefully under-represented these days (at least good entries anyways) so this game really does deserve some praise/support.

maxcriden

Aw yeah. I played some yesterday and finally beat Docking Bay 3! Then I couldn't figure out how the heck to get to the Mouse Commander in that level. Today I figured it out but haven't beaten it yet. Felt good to figure it out, though. I did get all of the kitties in Docking Bay 2, though! Tricky and super fun.

daydream

Banned
Aw yeah. I played some yesterday and finally beat Docking Bay 3! Then I couldn't figure out how the heck to get to the Mouse Commander in that level. Today I figured it out but haven't beaten it yet. Felt good to figure it out, though. I did get all of the kitties in Docking Bay 2, though! Tricky and super fun.

Yay! Once you beat him, you can easily go after the chase kitty, as well. :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gotta say a couple things because it's the kind of game I've been asking for for a while.

It's just a real gamer's game. If you're in your 30s you may recall the 16-bit era as the pinnacle of skill based gaming. Innovation was king, brand new genres were being born and refined, 3D and complex controllers had not yet bifurcated the market, the graphics were lovingly crafted pixel by pixel, frame rates were smooth as silk. Most importantly, the 8-bit mentality of making every level count still reigned, you had to earn your passage by learning new mechanics, working on your reflexes, and praying to the heavens to let you progress.

That's the kind of game this is. It asks so much from you, but gives it all back and then some. New twist on gravity, jumping, shooting, level design. It's all the stuff we used to expect from a new game; the stuff that actually makes you feel like you accomplished something when you beat it, that you took on a new obstacle and conquered it.

Maybe I've missed all the brilliant paltformers and shooters that play at this level. I've heard similar things about Super Meatboy and smaller PC indy games, and some Nintendo platformers still have some of it, but personally, this is the first game I can recall that captures the best of the 90s hardcore mentality since the 90s. It's simply the coolest of the cool, if there is anything else that recreates this feeling please let me know, would love to try it.
Aye!

But let me add one more game of this calibre to your list: Ninja Karakuri Den. With just as brutal and inventive mechanics, this game rocked my DSiWare world. Its only 'downside' is that you can continue as much as you like after you die, but that affects your level score, so it's immediately clear if you passed the level in one sweep or you died. A lot.

Back on-topic, I just spent 10 minutes on Docking Bay 1 chasing that run-away kitty again and again. Loving the game!

ps: you can add one more game to the brilliantly brutal gems list: Go! Go! Kokopolo (DSiWare).

So, I'm almost done with this game, I think. I only have 6 levels left. The levels just keep getting more and more creative. The difficulty never feels impossible (except for one level, but that was just me being stupid), and always feels rewarding. Really, I can't praise this game enough.

maxcriden

So, I'm almost done with this game, I think. I only have 6 levels left. The levels just keep getting more and more creative. The difficulty never feels impossible (except for one level, but that was just me being stupid), and always feels rewarding. Really, I can't praise this game enough.

That's awesome. Kudos on your mad SKAHBOR skills!

bart64

Banned
Aye!

But let me add one more game of this calibre to your list: Ninja Karakuri Den. With just as brutal and inventive mechanics, this game rocked my DSiWare world. Its only 'downside' is that you can continue as much as you like after you die, but that affects your level score, so it's immediately clear if you passed the level in one sweep or you died. A lot.

Back on-topic, I just spent 10 minutes on Docking Bay 1 chasing that run-away kitty again and again. Loving the game!

ps: you can add one more game to the brilliantly brutal gems list: Go! Go! Kokopolo (DSiWare).

Thanks blu I'll have to dig up my DSi.

BTW, still playing for 100% completion and it just keeps getting better. This game can make you feel like a badass when you put a couple good moves together.

Zomba13

Just bought this on the eShop thanks to getting a code from the Wii U premium promotion thing. Thought £3.99 was an alright price to pay as this looked cool going by the trailer and the posts here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, how did I miss this one? Watched the trailer, and it looks great. Is this really a WiiU exclusive, or just for the time being?

There is also a challenge mode, I tried it out yesterday. Challenge mode doesn't offer any new levels, but what it does do is challenge you to beat each existing level in a time limit while also trying to collect all the cats. Instead of there being "booster" spread through out the level there are time limit increases, which increase your remaining time. It should be noted that it is possible to get these time limit increases to drop from enemies (they replace the booster drop); HOWEVER, there is what seems to be a cool down period after one has already dropped that prevents another from dropping, which prevents farming the time limit increases. Also, your boosters stay maxed even after taking damage.

I enjoyed playing it, I didn't get that far, was only able to save 7 cats before I ran out of time. Gives a nice challenge to the existing challenges in this game. Give it try once you beat the game.

maxcriden

Ooh, the game is really so fun. People not tying it are really missing out! I got all four cats in docking bay 4 and the first one in the vents 1. So fun and addictive. Wii U is really chockful of terrific indie games at this point.

Top Bottom