• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails | OT | these are the mice I can do without

Imgur and Flickr, as well as Minus.

Thank you.

Anyways, I received the SKOR bar yesterday mourning. I then promptly put it in my freezer because, obviously it was melted. I then went to work. Got home and ate it. I forgot to take a before picture. But I got the after picture. It tasted very good. 10/10. Would eat again.

cHKrAra.jpg

(Pardon the bad image quality. The only camera I have is my 3DS camera.)

Beat this game, and maxcriden will send you a SKOR bar too!

maxcriden

Beat The Vents 1 in multiple runs and it felt so good. Great, addictive game. Also went back to Docking Bay 1 and got the cats I was missing. Up to 28!

I just barely got around to downloading this title, and I'm really loving it.
The level design has been great so far, and the mechanics feel really good to use.
I love how each cat is tied to it's own objective.
It works really well with the way the levels are designed, and it keeps the player on his/her toes.

maxcriden

I just barely got around to downloading this title, and I'm really loving it.
The level design has been great so far, and the mechanics feel really good to use.
I love how each cat is tied to it's own objective.
It works really well with the way the levels are designed, and it keeps the player on his/her toes.

Yeah, it's an awesome game. I beat The Vents 2 yesterday, BTW. I'm working on rescuing the other cats in that level. So fun.

Yeah, it's an awesome game. I beat The Vents 2 yesterday, BTW. I'm working on rescuing the other cats in that level. So fun.

Hahaha.
The vents are killing me right now. Those little green respawning guys make me really nervous. Plus, they've started introducing tougher enemies and new level mechanics.
I had to take a break. So I'm jumping into a game of MK8 right now.
I'm surprised that this game isn't more popular among WiiU owners, it's really good.

maxcriden

Hahaha.
The vents are killing me right now. Those little green respawning guys make me really nervous. Plus, they've started introducing tougher enemies and new level mechanics.
I had to take a break. So I'm jumping into a game of MK8 right now.
I'm surprised that this game isn't more popular among WiiU owners, it's really good.

It's amazing. Don't forget if you get 100% I'll send you a Skor bar!

maxcriden

Hahaha
I'll try! The levels are getting tough though! I'm thinking about skipping some of the kitty cats...but then again I like trying(emphasis on "trying")to get everything.

Yeah, I'm trying to get everything but I'm skipping one of the Docking Bay levels for now since it was hard enough to beat, let alone get the extra kitties in.

KooopaKid

Banned
This game is not easy. Really like the gameplay except for the cat spawing in 4 or 5 random places in a row, that's...not fun and trial and error as you can't see the full map.
It's not exactly how I imagined the game, it didn't seem to be a collecthaton from the first videos but more of an original shoot-them up with traversal puzzles.

maxcriden

This game is not easy. Really like the gameplay except for the cat spawing in 4 or 5 random places in a row, that's...not fun and trial and error as you can't see the full map.
It's not exactly how I imagined the game, it didn't seem to be a collecthaton from the first videos but more of an original shoot-them up with traversal puzzles.

I think if you check the top screen it zooms out and shows you where the Escape Kitty is going. Alternately, there is an arrow on the GamePad showing you the direction the Escape Kitty will be found in.

KooopaKid

Banned
I think if you check the top screen it zooms out and shows you where the Escape Kitty is going. Alternately, there is an arrow on the GamePad showing you the direction the Escape Kitty will be found in.

Yeah there's the arrow but in several cases you have to know the layout perfectly. Not impossible but frustrating and a bit too old-school. You succeed because you know the level by heart, not because of live skills. Not a big complaint, the game is a throwback to NES style of gaming after all. The biggest let-down for me is that the game main objectives are always the same : collect those 3 cats in every level.

maxcriden

Yeah there's the arrow but in several cases you have to know the layout perfectly. Not impossible but frustrating and a bit too old-school. You succeed because you know the level by heart, not because of live skills. Not a big complaint, the game is a throwback to NES style of gaming after all. The biggest let-down for me is that the game main objectives are always the same : collect those 3 cats in every level.

I see your point, I just feel like that setup lends itself best to the varying level layouts. In a sense each level is testing different skills sets: basic competence (reaching the end of the level), combat (defeating the Mouse Commander), collection (nabbing all 100 pennies), and layout mastery (catching the Escape Kitty). I like this setup since each level is stylistically pretty different so it doesn't feel like the game itself is too repetitive to me. Plus you can make it more or less of a challenge by getting all the cats in one run or in individual runs of a level.

Having finished the game myself, I feel that with the later stages, even when you know the level like the back of your hand, the stages are still very difficult, and there is diffidently skill involved.

maxcriden

Still working on the game. Beat The Vents 2 and East Wing 2:

zlCfzSIRp2YlPphppU

What I'm doing these days is to play through a level just to beat it, then play it again to get all four cats in one run.

Also came across this....

1 day ago

Jam Jamgamewhooper

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails Community

I'm still owed a SKOR bar from a user on NeoGAF

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl1t_pyUQ

So that's kind of funny. PM me if you made this post and I'll send it ASAP!

maxcriden

maxcriden

Update coming for SKAHBOR:

Along with the sale, the other big news for Scram Kitty fans is that we're working on releasing an update for the game. As well as fixing a couple of stage progression issues that have been pointed out to us on Miiverse (thanks, Miiverse!) - the update will also improve the balance of a number of stages, and make the double-jump easier to pull off for new players and veterans alike.

With the update, you'll find all the mutant mice to be more entertaining and more rewarding to battle, while encounters with Mouse Commanders will be a bit more strategic and less frantic. We're just putting the finishing touches to the update, and we'll let you know as soon as it's ready (it hopefully won't be long, but there's a lot of testing to do!).

The game is also on sale in EU for €4.99 / £4.49 for one week starting today.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...update_for_scram_kitty_and_his_buddy_on_rails

Yagharek

Is anyone able to find out from Dakko Dakko whether the game is coming out in Australia? They haven't responded to my questions on either twitter or email.

maxcriden

Is anyone able to find out from Dakko Dakko whether the game is coming out in Australia? They haven't responded to my questions on either twitter or email.

I was able to get a response for you from dakko dakko:

As for Australia (and Japan), that is something we'd have loved to have sorted out for EU/US launch, but were unable to. I'll let you (and Miiverse, and Twitter) know as soon as there is something to know on that front, but it's a shame we aren't on sale there yet.

Kodaman

Bought it yesterday and I've been playing it today..

Great game so far!
After the initial confusion the mechanics feels great... very addictive. Those timed kitties are damn hard to get though.

I actually kind of regret not have bought it at launch... totally worth it at normal price

maxcriden

Bought it yesterday and I've been playing it today..

Great game so far!
After the initial confusion the mechanics feels great... very addictive. Those timed kitties are damn hard to get though.

I actually kind of regret not have bought it at launch... totally worth it at normal price

Glad you're enjoying it. It's so awesome. Did you see the tip about increased health giving you increased double-jump?

maxcriden

I just saw that reply from twitter. Thanks for chasing it up and thanks to Dakko Dakko for confirming.

I appreciate Australia has its own issues for small studios though, so going the extra mile is appreciated.

My pleasure. Here's hoping you can play it soon and I'm confident it will be worth the wait!

Yagharek

My pleasure. Here's hoping you can play it soon and I'm confident it will be worth the wait!

Same here. I'm happy to wait if there's light at the end of the tunnel of the Australian classification nightmare system. By all accounts the game sounds like a damn good challenge too, so looking forward to that.

This has made my weekend to be honest.

maxcriden

Same here. I'm happy to wait if there's light at the end of the tunnel of the Australian classification nightmare system. By all accounts the game sounds like a damn good challenge too, so looking forward to that.

This has made my weekend to be honest.

That's awesome. As I said, the game really is superb. I wouldn't be so eagerly espousing its merits if I wasn't really enamored of it. :)

I'm sure the weekend you get the game will be even better!

Tuck

It'd be fantastic if the game even attempted to teach you its mechanics. Like, even a little.

Level 4.

My god the jump mechanic is so fucking unintuitive.

EDIT: I should clarify, I do like the game. But the fact that it makes no attempt to teach its mechanics that CLEARLY have a learning curve is just shitty game design.

EDIT 2: May have to retract statement 1. Jump controls are terrible, not being able to aim in any direction makes the combat annoying.

ohlawd

I bought this and XType a couple days ago.

will wait for the update. honestly lol when I hear a game is getting updated soon I just drop it then and there.

GRW810

I'm nearing the endgame at this point. Sigh. :(

Don't want it to end!
I'm taking your advice from Nintendo Downloads thread and waiting until the upcoming update before fully diving into this. There's a quality game in there but the promised improvements will really make it more accessible. I don't want to play it too much now and tarnish any potential enjoyment.

maxcriden

I'm taking your advice from Nintendo Downloads thread and waiting until the upcoming update before fully diving into this. There's a quality game in there but the promised improvements will really make it more accessible. I don't want to play it too much now and tarnish any potential enjoyment.

The update should hit pretty soon. I promise it'll be well worth the wait. BTW, a bit off-topic but I'm sorry to hear Wooden Sen'Sey didn't do anything for you.

GRW810

The update should hit pretty soon. I promise it'll be well worth the wait. BTW, a bit off-topic but I'm sorry to hear Wooden Sen'Sey didn't do anything for you.
I'm still willing to give Sen'Say a chance, I just wasn't as impressed as I expected. Kind of like Giana Sisters it looks great but has problems with level design and character control.

Yuterald

Still plugging away at this game, Max? Ha, I haven't touched it since I've cleared it. Still gotta go back and finish the remaining levels. Still down for that Skor if I ever get around to 100%'ing this anytime soon, ha!

maxcriden

I'm still willing to give Sen'Say a chance, I just wasn't as impressed as I expected. Kind of like Giana Sisters it looks great but has problems with level design and character control.

Oh, I still need to try Giana Sisters; I'd like to play the DS game first actually. I did find Sen'Sey's control quirks grew on me as I kept playing, but the hitbox and grapple mechanics do take some...grappling with. :)

Still plugging away at this game, Max? Ha, I haven't touched it since I've cleared it. Still gotta go back and finish the remaining levels. Still down for that Skor if I ever get around to 100%'ing this anytime soon, ha!

Yep, I'm still at it, slowly but surely! There's a Skor bar with your name on it when you 100% the game!

maxcriden

Made a thread about the Scram Kitty patch with some details on changes to the game!

Via Miiverse:

Hi Everyone. Rhod from Dakko Dakko here. Thanks for the continued support and comments about our game! I'm very glad to announce that the software update for Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is finished and now available! Just start the game (if your Wii U is connected to the internet) and it should update automatically. You can check you have the latest version (v1.1) by looking at the TV screen when the game starts. v1.1 is displayed in the corner of the updated version. I hope you enjoy the tweaks and refinements introduced in this update. Almost every stage has been slightly re-balanced, and the double-jump is easier to execute (and more powerful than ever!). Mice behave slightly differently, and for the perfectionists amongst you, the game will now display a special ribbon on each stage where you have saved ALL available cats in one go! There are many little tweaks to make the game even more fun, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again for playing Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails. Enjoy the update!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910970

maxcriden

Finished the game after six long and wonderful months in space. I absolutely loved it. Easily one of my favorite eShop games. It was a really superb and superlative experience.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I need help guys, the jumping mechanic and double jumping is so fucking unintuitive... I really want to get decent, I like the game

There's no faq on gamefaqs, decent how-to videos?
The game should've had a tutorial, honestly

maxcriden

I need help guys, the jumping mechanic and double jumping is so fucking unintuitive... I really want to get decent, I like the game

There's no faq on gamefaqs, decent how-to videos?
The game should've had a tutorial, honestly

Okay, a couple tips. I promise you'll get used to it and it'll get easier. Let's see. The one big trick for the double jump for me was that increased health gives you a commensurately bigger jump. Second, use the d-pad. Don't use the analog stick. IMO it's way harder to judge the tilted angle of the analog stick for difficult jumps vs. using the d-pad. Alright, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Dash Kappei

Okay, a couple tips. I promise you'll get used to it and it'll get easier. Let's see. The one big trick for the double jump for me was that increased health gives you a commensurately bigger jump. Second, use the d-pad. Don't use the analog stick. IMO it's way harder to judge the tilted angle of the analog stick for difficult jumps vs. using the d-pad. Alright, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Yeah, been using d-pad and read about the full health tip.
What I'm having trouble understanding is how the inertia/physics work and how to use it to my advantage. Especially for the double jump mechanic, not really a double jump is it? I mean you jump and then when you jump again you're on fire but it's a second jump, not a double one... also I was able to double jump and "unhook" Buddy and land far away but now I don't remember how I did that (even tho landing too far would auto destruct Buddy, too bad)

maxcriden

Yeah, been using d-pad and read about the full health tip.
What I'm having trouble understanding is how the inertia/physics work and how to use it to my advantage. Especially for the double jump mechanic, not really a double jump is it? I mean you jump and then when you jump again you're on fire but it's a second jump, not a double one... also I was able to double jump and "unhook" Buddy and land far away but now I don't remember how I did that (even tho landing too far would auto destruct Buddy, too bad)

Yeah, I don't recommend purposely untethering Buddy, you generally don't need to IIRC. It's kind of tough to explain the physics. I'd say it's a real double jump in the sense that if you press it at the right time you do get a lot more height and the fire makes you invincible in some circumstances. Glad you're using the d-pad. I dunno, are there no YT vids? I'm not sure what else to say except to play around with the physics until you get the hang of it. Sorry :(

Dash Kappei

Yeah, I don't recommend purposely untethering Buddy, you generally don't need to IIRC. It's kind of tough to explain the physics. I'd say it's a real double jump in the sense that if you press it at the right time you do get a lot more height and the fire makes you invincible in some circumstances. Glad you're using the d-pad. I dunno, are there no YT vids? I'm not sure what else to say except to play around with the physics until you get the hang of it. Sorry :(

Your post is much appreciated :) just got curiosity's sake then, how do you untether Buddy? Forgot how I did that.
Haven't found a decent YT vid, nope

maxcriden

Your post is much appreciated :) just got curiosity's sake then, how do you untether Buddy? Forgot how I did that.
Haven't found a decent YT vid, nope

It's my pleasure. :) To untether Buddy, IIRC you just kind of do a double jump around a large corner or vast expanse, so you will end up not having a place to land.

Top Bottom