• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossbones |OT| Because John Malkovich Is Blackbeard - Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

iJhAzOL2e3wtL.png

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
That's not Blackbeard that's just John Malkovich. John Malkovich as John Malkovich in John Malkovich playing Blackbeard.

TheOddOne

- LA Times: Blackbeard epic 'Crossbones' has NBC crossing its fingers
But the series' executive producer — the aptly named Neil Cross — takes issue with anyone who sees "Crossbones" as simply more of the same old pirate stuff of yore, with the eye-patch, tricorn hat and cries of "arrgh!"

"It's not a pirate show," said Cross, a novelist and screenwriter best known for his work on the BBC's crime thriller "Luther." "Most people's first thought would be 'Pirates of the Caribbean' as a television project … [which is] something I had no interest in doing."

Instead, "Crossbones" — loosely based on a 2007 book called "Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard — is more like "Heart of Darkness" with pirates.

"It's a show which undeniably has pirates in it, and it's set during the time of the golden age of piracy," Cross added. But "it's got elements of speculative fiction in there, little hints of steampunk and it's kind of a spy show, really, more than a big, swashbuckling pirate show."

inky

is more like "Heart of Darkness" with pirates.

"It's a show which undeniably has pirates in it, and it's set during the time of the golden age of piracy," Cross added. But "it's got elements of speculative fiction in there, little hints of steampunk and it's kind of a spy show, really, more than a big, swashbuckling pirate show."

Can't say I'm not intrigued. The people involved and the small(ish) number of episodes means I'll give this a watch.

jett

D-Member
Watching the trailer... It really is The John Malkovich Show, isn't it? He seems all kinds of miscast.

TheOddOne

- Kansas City Star Review/preview: NBC’s pirate drama ‘Crossbones’ delivers just enough sympathy for the devil
Mostly, “Crossbones” lets Malkovich do Malkovich. When something interrupts his cold scheming, Blackbeard paces around his headquarters, making menacing speeches in his unique diction, throwing in bursts of creative violence. He manages to be less of a walking cartoon than Jack Sparrow by dispensing just enough hands-on horror.
The review also goes in on the similarities between Crossbones and Black Sails.

Why is this show being burned off on Fridays @ 10 in the summertime?

Though Hannibal and Grimm having success there, it might be good.

And David Slade is involved? DAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

I will check this out.

The subscribe thing is a good idea. Your OTs are always great, Odd.

TheOddOne

- PPH: Swashbuckler's tale sails from Maine to NBC
Cross said his Blackbeard, as played by Malkovich, bears “no resemblance” to the real Blackbeard. Cross thinks of his Blackbeard as “a kind of universal genius, a madman and a renegade – and as such, a threat to the established imperial order.”

In early episodes of the show released by NBC to reporters, Malkovich’s Blackbeard comes across a lot like Marlon Brando’s Col. Kurtz in the 1979 film “Apocalypse Now,” reigning over a strange jungle stronghold in the middle of the Vietnam War. Malkovich plays Blackbeard as soft-spoken, intelligent, vicious and ideological. In fact, Malkovich’s Blackbeard can be heard in the first episode espousing the kind of social revolt rhetoric Woodard says made the real Blackbeard’s crews stand out from other pirates.

Between Slade and Malkovich, I'm definitely giving this a shot.

The beard is disappointing though. It's not just that it's white, it's also a little scrawny thing.

TheOddOne

- Seattle Times: ‘Crossbones’ aims to go beyond pirate tale
After developing the story of a Blackbeard-who-would-be-king, Cross knew whom he wanted as his lead. But not everyone was on board right away. “At first, some eyebrows were raised because John Malkovich is not known for having long, flowing black hair and big, long, flowing black beard,” Cross said with a chuckle.

But Malkovich liked the way Cross developed the character and was intrigued by the possibility of playing such a role over many hours. “In 10 hours, I think you can show various sides and facets to a character that you really can’t do in an hour and a half,” he said. “You just about never get to do that in a movie because mostly you have to blow something up every couple of minutes.”
:lol

Alpende

Those Metacritic reviews don't give me hope. I'll give it a go for Malkovic though, he is the main reason I'm watching this.

TheOddOne

Series premiere today:
Season 1: episode 1 "The Devil's Dominion"

The Longitude Chronometer, a device that will change the world, is stolen from HMS Petrel by pirates working for the legendary but supposedly long dead Edward Teach - better known as Blackbeard. On board the Petrel is Tom Lowe, an English spy working undercover as ship's surgeon. Lowe's mission is to prevent the Chronometer from falling into the hands of pirates... and if the opportunity should arise, to assassinate Blackbeard.

Alpende

You know what's funny? I could swear I've seen some promotional poster with Malkovic on it with an actual black beard. I wonder why they changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom