• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crossbones |OT| Because John Malkovich Is Blackbeard - Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
The One and Done™;114089614 said:
Cancelled.

Hah yeah. It probably will be. I didn't care much for that first episode but I'll check out a few more to see if things pick up.

Tokubetsu

Pacing of the show is so fucked. I felt like I watched the main plot points from three episodes they shot and just edited together. Scenes that feel like they should be more of a slow burn, over 5-10 minutes happen, in under 90 seconds. Every cut or jump feels like we're missing at least 30 seconds of footage. Like it was edited for gore AND time constraints.

TheOddOne

Pacing of the show is so fucked. I felt like I watched the main plot points from three episodes they shot and just edited together. Scenes that feel like they should be more of a slow burn, over 5-10 minutes happen, in under 90 seconds. Every cut or jump feels like we're missing at least 30 seconds of footage. Like it was edited for gore AND time constraints.
You weren’t kidding, everything went by on such a breakneck speed. There was enough story development for at least 2 or 3 episodes.

Problems in the first episode:
  • Side characters are introduced out of nowhere, we barely even know their names until later in the episode;
  • Lowe and Fletch instantly become friends and confidants in mere minutes without any meaningful interaction;
  • The introduction to Blackbeard is weird: he slits a man’s throat and then Low saves him. Sounds like the scene was built to prove if Lowe was really a doctor, but it isn’t presented that well;
  • In the above scene Selima and a bunch of guards are present, instantly after Low saves the man they disappear. Only Lowe and Blackbeard are left in the scene;
  • When talking to Blackbeard, he is very calm but makes a very weird turn at the last minute. He gets mad, but the moment this happens it doesn’t feel natural at all (Maybe nitpicky);
  • Lowe and Fletch barrage the room they are staying in after everybody finds out that the captain (?) is dead. When the pirates do get in, Lowe threatens to burn the paper he found on the captain if they don’t bring Blackbeard there. The strange part? Blackbeard is there is mere seconds;
  • When the pirates and Selima take Lowe to torture him it is night. After Blackbeard saves him, they walk outside on the beach which is in broad daylight (Maybe nitpicky);
  • Lowe and Fletch somehow find a boat to escape (Lowe could have found it after dumping that guard off the cliff, but again they did not really communicate well);
  • Oh god, please slow down.
The Good:
  • The character interaction is really good, Coyle, Malkovich and Foy scenes are fun to watch (even if it goes at such a blazing speed);
  • The scenery and cinematography is pretty nice.

Even with all those faults, I really enjoyed it. Will keep tuning in for now.

jUlEN7Ie4RmiR.png

jHqSQzbCbrhO.png

jqy3fOIm0LqUj.png

jbewxgLo0gx7cJ.png

jI7KtbeCnEwV6.png

jdO2hXOQ8y0f4.png

jbwbUtPNxMiIb7.png

jMciqkAjZA1Yq.png

jAOqQE4N32HYa.png

jimVpHdHAXRLR.png

jHuHkOIDFmhOP.png

Kevin

Was sort of interested in this but early reviews and impressions are mostly negative so far. I will wait and see if there are any significant improvements made but currently I don't have any interest in watching this. Shame because the trailer had me at least a little intrigued. Hopefully it gets better.

Alpende

Like others have said it went so fast. Also, is Fletch just brought in to explain everything to the audience because we're dumb. 'What does that mean Lowe', 'What now Lowe', 'Can we go home Lowe'. Kind of annoyed me.

I'll watch the second and third episodes.

Sort of enjoyed it, but the whole remembering the cypher thing was straight out of Black Sails, dunno which was written first. I'm ok with two pirate shows. And Johm Malkovish is always a pleasure to watch.

I really want to like this show. I'm a huge fan of pirates and enjoy both the fantastical and realistic versions of them. So far I'm not sure where this show is heading. That preview video made it seem like they just spoiled the whole season, but at the pace this show is going that might just be the first 10 minutes of the next episode. Like others, I'm going to watch a couple more episodes before I decide whether I'll continue or not.

I watched for Jeff but he couldn't even save it. I knew the show was going to be crap jsut by watching the ship battle at the start of the show. Nothing happened for like a good 2 minutes. Random guns go off, cannons firing before the ships were even near each other, etc. No one dies until like 2 minutes goes by.

Whole show just felt cheap

TheOddOne

Numbers!

- 'Crossbones' Hits a Three-Month Timeslot High for NBC
The premiere of “Crossbones” (1.1/4 in 18-49, 4.9 million viewers overall from 10-11 p.m. ET) captured NBC’s highest 18-49 rating in the slot in three months (best since Feb. 28). In adults 25-54 (1.4) and total viewers, “Crossbones” earned NBC’s top results in the hour since the last Friday of the Winter Olympics, Feb. 21.

“Crossbones” finished within 1 share of the time-period lead among ABC, CBS and NBC in adults 18-49 (with a 4 share vs. a 5 for ABC’s “20/20”), while tying for #1 among men 18-49 and men 18-34 and ranking #1 outright among those nets in men 25-54 (1.3 rating).

Linius

I kind of enjoyed the pilot. It's not bad, but not good either. But I'll keep watching to see if it gets better.

OK, so thoughts:

- This is John Malkovich just playing John Malkovich, but with a hilarious British accent. By this, I mean every time I see John Malkovich, he is just John Malkovich. He is magnetic and watchable, and incredibly entertaining, but he's basically playing John Malkovich.

- Pacing in the show was a bit... fast.

- The 'High Treason' girl who had the crippled dude for a husband is so goddamn cute. Swoon. Pretty sure Lowe's gonna get some of that.

- So, Lowe is supposed to be this clever, suave secret agent dude who actually is also a doctor. I barely followed along with his plans for some reasons. Him coming back to save Blackbeard's life was hilarious cause all the pirates are like "Fuck you, man, you knows what you'll do to him! You started this shit!" and it's like, it's not like anything Lowe does is gonna make the situation worse.

- No pirate lesbians like Black Sails, but at least the pilot for Crossbones was amusing whereas Black Sails was dull as fuck and I dropped out after Episode 1. This, I'm willing to check out Episode 2.

- Was that Julian Sands as the Governor dude?

- Lowe was such a dick for killing the inventor guy, haha.

I'm still confused as to what's gonna happen. So, the Spanish are allying with some mangy pirate... who cares? Lowe knows where the island is, escape, call the British Navy and blow them to kingdom come.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 2 "The Covenant"

Blackbeard’s plans are complicated when a popular Pirate Captain comes to town and violently disagrees with his grand design. For his master plan to survive, Blackbeard must assess the risks of relieving himself of a dangerous old friend. Meanwhile, trying to gain insight into the Commodore’s mysterious endgame, Tom Lowe finds himself an unlikely instrument of Blackbeard’s will.

Ricker

You weren’t kidding, everything went by on such a breakneck speed. There was enough story development for at least 2 or 3 episodes.

Problems in the first episode:
  • Side characters are introduced out of nowhere, we barely even know their names until later in the episode;
  • Lowe and Fletch instantly become friends and confidants in mere minutes without any meaningful interaction;
  • The introduction to Blackbeard is weird: he slits a man’s throat and then Low saves him. Sounds like the scene was built to prove if Lowe was really a doctor, but it isn’t presented that well;
  • In the above scene Selima and a bunch of guards are present, instantly after Low saves the man they disappear. Only Lowe and Blackbeard are left in the scene;
  • When talking to Blackbeard, he is very calm but makes a very weird turn at the last minute. He gets mad, but the moment this happens it doesn’t feel natural at all (Maybe nitpicky);
  • Lowe and Fletch barrage the room they are staying in after everybody finds out that the captain (?) is dead. When the pirates do get in, Lowe threatens to burn the paper he found on the captain if they don’t bring Blackbeard there. The strange part? Blackbeard is there is mere seconds;
  • When the pirates and Selima take Lowe to torture him it is night. After Blackbeard saves him, they walk outside on the beach which is in broad daylight (Maybe nitpicky);
  • Lowe and Fletch somehow find a boat to escape (Lowe could have found it after dumping that guard off the cliff, but again they did not really communicate well);
  • Oh god, please slow down.
The Good:
  • The character interaction is really good, Coyle, Malkovich and Foy scenes are fun to watch (even if it goes at such a blazing speed);
  • The scenery and cinematography is pretty nice.

Even with all those faults, I really enjoyed it. Will keep tuning in for now.

jbwbUtPNxMiIb7.png

That scene creeped me out...poor guy ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So far, is this better or worse than Black Sails?

TheOddOne

The pacing was much better in this episode than the pilot.

I can see people bailing on this though, but I for one am actually enjoying it.

Alpende

Yeah, I'm liking it too, hate the Fletch guy though. He just looks stupid the entire time. One thing that kind of bothered me was the whole 'jury' thing. Lowe was convicted because they thought he did it and they also wanted to kill Sam because he sent out the assassins? Suddenly, the chick turns up and just says; 'he was with me' and it's all good. Good jury there.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 3 "The Man Who Killed Blackbeard"

Kate is captured on a trading voyage, prompting Blackbeard and Lowe to join forces to rescue her. Before long, Lowe discovers that Blackbeard has a hidden motive.

Alpende

I'm done with the show. It just doesn't interest me all that much to be honest. Too bad, really wanted to like the show.

Alpende

I haven't started watching it but I have the first three episodes DVR'd. Is it worth watching or has it already gone sideways?

I kind of like the first two episodes but the third one convinced me not to watch it anymore. It just feels so mediocre. Just give the first two/three a go and see for yourself.

8bit

Knows the Score
Haha, guess I'm the only one watching now. I liked Episodes 5 & 6, FWIW. Now this thread can sink like a stone never to return.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Not only does it get cancelled, its series finale quietly shuffled away to a Saturday, but now even that finale is shuffled off to one of NBC's secondary SD channels as it was preempted by some crappy baseball game.

jett

D-Member
Not only does it get cancelled, its series finale quietly shuffled away to a Saturday, but now even that finale is shuffled off to one of NBC's secondary SD channels as it was preempted by some crappy baseball game.

This is amazing.

NBC is such a hilariously sad channel.

Alpende

Oh wow, NBC sucks. Apart from Hannibal I can't come up with a show I follow from that channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom