• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLuigi

Looks like July seems a great month for some people:

Indeed, I was able to knockout 3 games this week.
Congrats to the recent winners! I shall be joining you guys soon :D

Game #47: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 7 Hours
I decided to play this game to see if I wanted to pre-order the sequel. I may not be a big Final Fantasy fan, but I really enjoyed all the music that was presented in this game. The touch screen controls felt really good, I never felt like the game didn't register my swiping motions correctly. I can see myself spending more time with this game with all the unlockable content that the game offers (Songs, Characters, Collectibles). I can't wait to play the sequel.

Game #48: Hotline Miami - 7 Hours
This game is way too addicting, I didn't think I would finish this in one sitting.What I like most about this game was the fast gameplay and how smooth the controls were. Having a character who dies in one hit gives the game a nice challenge and creates a unique tense atmosphere. The levels never felt too long, which caused me to have this " Oh I can probably finish this off next time" mentality (which is probably the main reason why I finished this in one sitting). As you walk back to your car and see the gruesome gory death that is laid before you, you will always gives you that satisfaction of accomplishment for finishing a level. I need to get my hands on the soundtrack soon, I can just play that music for almost anything. Im really looking foward to see all the neat stuff they added to Hotline Miami 2.

Game #49: Tomodachi Life - 87 Hours
Woah, I wasn't expecting to spend so much time on this game. To sum up Tomodachi Life, I would probably say this game is pretty much one of those Tamagotchi pets except with a lot more personality and no penalties if you decide to not play for a few days. For some reason its just so interesting to see your Miis live out their everyday lives and see all the crazy/weird stuff they do. On the other hand, the game feel a little bit bare. The game could definitely use some well thought out mini games (or in other words, daily activities). I guess you can say that overall the game just needs a little bit more of everything. At the same time, the game can produce a lot of unique experiences so that each player has their own moments that is special to them. Anyways, I will probably sink more hours into this game. Heck, I will probably make it to 100 hours of total gameplay time.

Updated Post
Next up, I will be playing Tales of Symphonia: Dawn to the New World (PS3) and Sonic Generations (3DS)

Murray97

Game 15: New Super Mario Bros. U - DURATION PLAYED (11 hours 58 minutes)
I enjoy playing through these games at a slow pace. I did about one world every week and just got around to finishing it. Enjoyable game although not one of my favourites

Not sure what I'll move on to next, considering Mass Effect series or Uncharted series.

Full post here

Hubb

OP

28) Velocity Ultra
Really enjoyed my time with this game. Levels were perfectly timed for a portable game. Got 5 minutes? Blow through a level no problem. Controls were smooth other than my only issue (which is probably more user error) is the bombs. I was pretty bad at those.

Toki767

Updating with all the games I've played since the Steam sale started 2 weeks ago. I made a lot of progress the past 2 weeks.

Game 27: Flower - 3 hours
This game looks more gorgeous than I remember. Played it on PS4 and it was really beautiful.

Game 28: The Stanley Parable - 1 hour
This game was shorter than 1 hour for the actual intended story, but I did try to mess around and go on divergent paths as much as possible. The narrator was humorous at times, but this game felt overrated.

Game 29: Gunpoint - 2 hours
I really enjoyed this. It's a shame that it wasn't longer. It was really quite different and refreshing.

Game 30: Batman: Arkham Origins - 9 hours
Thought the game was fairly decent. The story got interesting after a while, but it was very much more of the same as Arkham City. Not that there is anything really wrong with that.

Game 31: Mutant Mudds Deluxe - 3 hours
This was a fun little game. Some challenge but nothing overly difficult.

Game 32: Shovel Knight - 4 hours
I loved this game. Great mix of Mega Man, Ducktales, Castlevania, and a bunch of other games. The music was incredible and everything about it was enjoyable.

Game 33: Astebreed - 4 hours
This was a really fun game. Like the Gundam game I never knew I wanted. The final boss though was a buzzkill, but pretty rewarding when I beat it.

Game 34: SteamWorld Dig - 3 hours
Fun game, though pretty short. I feel like it could have used more than one boss battle though.

Getting really close now. Might try to bump up the number and shoot for something else at this rate.

OP.

Game 48: Defy Gravity Extended (PC) - 1 hr 36 mins
Picked this one up at the end of the steam sale after seeing it recommended on here. Mixed feelings on this one. Great soundtrack, presentation, and overall idea but the execution felt a bit flawed. Some issues with mechanics, controls, and technical issues really dragged this one down for me in the end.

Game 49: Doki-Doki Universe (PS3) - 6-7 hours
Cute little game ruined by frequent freezing issues. The game would commonly freeze whenever you would spawn and item which happens a lot. Otherwise I really enjoyed the story, characters, and overall feel of the game. Would definitely play a sequel or something of the sort.

Game 50: Cinders (PC) - 4 hrs 12 mins
Fantastic re-imagining of Cinderella in VN form. Really enjoyed the art style and characters here.
Originally got the fairytale ending with machiavellic queen, Perrault as a love interest, and no adviser. Went back and got the traveler ending with Perrault as a companion.
Will definitely be going back to this one for the story variants and achievements.

Game 51: Richard & Alice (PC) - 3 hrs 6 mings
Interesting VN/point and click title with a really bleak atmosphere. Will go back for the endings and other achievements someday.

KillerBEA

Generally speaking I don't consider myself done with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One game unless a majority or all the achievements are earned. Notable exceptions would be something like Super Street Fighter 4.

360 Games: 10 Games
Game 1: Bakugan Battle Brawlers

Got all Cards and Bakugan. Beat the "story". Got moderately to extremely boring towards the end.

Game 2: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD

Beat arcade mode without using continues. Won a match with all characters. Love the anime, but the game left something to be desired considering it was $20.

Game 3: Jumper Griffin's Story

Beat the game without dying, and beat the game in under par time. 2 separate playthroughs back to back. Horrible game, wish I never bothered; but I was bored and needed something to do for 2 days.

Game 4: History Channel Battle for the Pacific

I enjoyed the 2 Civil War games, so I though I might enjoy this one. Nope! Beat the campaign on "hard" which was pretty easy.

Game 5: Shoot Many Robots

Killed a lot of robots, like 10,000 of them. Fun co-op game, glad I got for free from the games with gold promotion.

Game 6: Splinter Cell Conviction

Finished all Hunter and Last Stand maps on realistic with a friend. Also grinded out the all the challenges. Really fun game, got tons of hours out of it over the years.

Game 7: Yu-Gi-Oh Millennium Duels

Beat the game on Expert mode, Dang that was hard, some of those enemies were brutally cheap.

Game 8: The Secret of Monkey Island

Two playthroughs. One Where I found the notes, learned all insults and didn't use any hints. Second one was my speedrun. Came in just over 2 hours.

Game 9: Halo 3 ODST

Finally beat it on legendary, also went and found all the audio logs. I did the Endure achievement a while back, so its kinda nice to have all the achievements in this one.

Game 10: Street Fighter x Tekken

Beat arcade mode several times, played 500 online matches (combo of friends and randoms) Easily 50 hours on the game.

Game 11: A Kingdom for Keflings

Xbox One 1 Game

Game 1: Valiant Hearts the Great War

Amazing little game. Great art, story, characters and music. My only complaint is about the healing mini game at the end of the story.

Game 2: Sixty Second Shooter Prime

Game 3: Nutjitsu

Total: 14 Games

Working through/Playing:
Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag (Xbox One)
Wolfenstein New World Order (360)
Charlie Murder (360)
Hearthstone (PC)

daveo42

Banned
Game 20: Mario Kart 8 - 26 hours - Completed 7/5/14
Had a pretty good blast unlocking stuff in single and multiplayer modes. Finally unlocked the gold kart in game and that's where I'm considering it completed. I'll still play multiplayer now and again to keep myself fresh, but that was my final goal with the game. Worth the price of the Wii U for the fun it brought.

Updated Post Here

Murray97

Game 16: Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
That title doe. Fun game, I played the newer version on PC a lot with friends(Rocket League) and decided to try the original on PS3. Completed all the challenges and tournament mode.

Game 17: Injustice: Gods Among Us
Played this a lot in multiplayer but decided to play through the story mode a while ago and finally finished it.

Games in progress
Metal Gear Solid 3
Borderlands 2
Transistor

Full Post Here

Yasawas

Game 37: Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (PS4/Vita) 4/7/14

This is superb. You have to go in knowing that it's quite trial-and-error and very unforgiving but I think they've added more checkpoints over the original release so it's nowhere near as frustrating as it could have been. Back when I was a kid I used to see this mentioned a lot in magazines for the 16-bit computers (I had a Spectrum :() and thought it looked incredible, it still does to me but it was also interesting how many puzzle solutions and bits and pieces I'd picked up and retained from so long ago for a game I had never played. Great stuff, and having played it through now I can appreciate the influence it's had all the more.

Game 38: Resogun (PS4) 5/7/14

I have nothing to add other than this is really fucking good and makes me want a bigger telly just to envelop myself in the particle effects. Will be going for the platinum on this.

Original post.

Kalor

June was a slow month for me, just finishing up some games that I had started. But after completing 8 games in May I've wanted to slow down a bit.

29. Retro City Rampage 14/6/14
30. Hexcells 20/6/14
31. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 24/6/14

Game 26: Zombie Shooter - PC (hours played: 4)

header_292x136.jpg

Steam Review
Guns, Countless Bullets and an almost endless wave of Zombies.

There is something strangely satisfying about playing this game with your favourite playlist playing in the background. That feeling of leaning back in your comfy chair and unleashing a wave of molten metal justice into the unsuspecting horde of zombies. I'm not usually one for such mindless carnage (although now I think about it I enjoyed the hell out of Carmageddon all those years ago). Yet, I found myself turning to this game when I had no idea what else to play.

I'm not going to sugar coat the game at all, it 'says what it is on the tin' to be fair to the developers - It's Zombie Shooter. That's all there is to it, yet there feels like there's more.
It has a Campaign and a Survival Mode, both of which are pretty fun, although I did find myself enjoying the Survival Mode more. In Survival Mode you have survive as many Zombie Waves as you can in a small confined area. There are a selection of maps (each with their own unique element), a wide range of guns and a collection of power ups to use as you see fit. Interestingly there's a perk system too, which allows you to customise your character as you level up from killing the Zombies and surviving the waves.

Campaign mode was OK for what it is, a isometric 'corridor' shooter, and doesn't really try to be anything else. However, it does suffer from some environmental clipping, which is perhaps the most danger you'll find yourself in as it's easy to become trapped/stuck (forcing you to restart the level).
Much like the Survival mode you can upgrade your character, but you have to find the guns to unlock them (rather than the guns falling off of Zombies and into your lap).
I think what I really liked about the Campaign was that there wasn't a half-arsed story tacked onto it to try and justify the mindless onslaught against the Zombie Hoard. It just plonked you into the game and allowed you to go. It makes me realise that I'd actually like to see a Zombie Movie based on that idea - no poorly written story with terrible actors, just a person or two killing endless zombies before the zombies kill them.

The controls are basic and use as WSAD approach with Mouse aiming, sadly no gamepad support (that I could find). There are no real options to customise resolution or graphics, so you'll have to make do with what they offer. The sound is OK, but not amazing. I do feel as though this game is missing out on a killer soundtrack to support the carnage.

If you have low expectations, and are perhaps just looking for something to sit back and waste a few hours on this game is ideal - it might even surprise you.

Original List

Cheers folks, good to see people closing in on it. Will try my best to keep the pace up to make it to 100. Would make a really nice dent in my Steam backlog.

Game 27: Game Dev Tycoon (PC) [Hours Played: 6 Hours]

header_292x136.jpg

Original Post
Steam Review

A game about making games, and if you wanted you could make a game about making games in this game about making games. You might even call that game 'Xzibit's Exhibit'. Maybe.

You start as a lone game developer in your garage during the 80s, you work away making basic games and hoping they'll be successful. For legal reasons real life consoles and PCs names aren't used (however this is easily changed with mods), but the game does a good job of hinting at which 'console era' you're working in.
It even has loose story elements as it recreates historic console releases and events, so if you know your gaming history you might be able to plan around these accordingly.

As you progress through the game, and with each game you make you gain experience, which you can use to learn new aspects for your games as you create the 'perfect game engine' for your crazy creations. You might want to have a one-use-for-all Engine, or you might even create Genre Specific engines. However, you'll soon realise that time and resource management will become an issue the bigger you aim with your gaming projects.
You can choose a Topic and the sub genres within it - Sports RPG? Zombie Simulator? Then within that design process you choose where to allocate time and effort - gameplay? Sound? Level Design? What's more important to you?

I do wish it went a little deeper, but what it does offer was good enough to spend 6+ hours in the '35 Year' Storyline playthough.
In short it's a fun game, and the fun comes from your imagination and sharing your creation with friends. What will your biggest game be?

Drayco21

Game 22- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3)- 38:27:54
Was playing through this alongside my roommate over the semester, and decided to go ahead and see it to the end before going back to school. I'm a pretty huge sucker for WRPGs, even the ones that most people consider bad, so I was pretty hooked from the get-go. I really enjoyed the combat feeling more akin to an action game than an RPG, and I really love the way the game just dumps a bunch of lore and doesn't really slow down to let you catch up. Say what you will about the team- it's clear they had a defined and fully explored universe full of stories they wanted to tell, more than just some cynical attempt to play around with some Lord of the Rings tropes, and I appreciate that. That said, the game had some major problems- the sidequests tended toward repetition and empty fetch quests and some of the enemies were just a boring slog to fight (Threshes and those Trolls at the end of the game are probably the worst), and there are spots where it was clear the team had been working on an MMO and that this was a lead-in to that moreso than its own stand-alone product, but on the whole? I thought KoA:R was an excellent gem of a game, wrapped up in a really unfortunate situation, but absolutely worth someone's time.

Game 23- Guacamelee! (PS3)- 6:32:53
I bought Guacamelee during one of the PSN Christmas sales near the end of last year, but it wasn't until recently I went back and finished it. People talk a lot about the difficulty curve ramping up too ridiculously near the end of the game, but I didn't really notice personally. The combat felt okay, and the platforming was tight enough, but I think the game was probably just a bit too repetitive for its own good. I also didn't really care for the humor, but outside of that, the art style, world and music all made for a really unique atmosphere, which was probably my main reason to keep going. I enjoyed the playthrough well enough, but I'd probably skip any potential sequels.

Game 24- Strider (PS4)- 5:23:31
Pretty much every aspect of Strider really ended up working for me. I wanted to play it after really liking the character in the Capcom Vs. series, but didn't get around to buying it before it went free on Plus. Everything about playing Strider just felt really good to me- from running, jumping, fighting and other basic controls just looking and feeling really cool, learning the patterns of your enemies and flawlessly dodging and weaving through their every attack to tear them apart with the Cypher was a deeply rewarding process. If I had to complain about something, I wish there wasn't a point of no return at the end of the game to let me look for collectibles to my heart's content without starting over, and that the voice acting was pretty terrible. Those two things aside, though, and Strider is one of the best games I've played this year.

Original post Here

Wensih

My goal is to read 24 books (I tend to pick lengthy books and Science courses in University usually require a lot of reading already), watch 356 movies, and now I guess complete 52 games.

I'll reserve a spot for the game sections of this, and if you guys want you can keep track of my other goals on my blog I just started: Iridiumtipped.wordpress.org. Sorry if this sounds like just another plug, I don't want it to be shameless advertising of a blog. I'm just excited to share with people what I'm reading, playing, watching and listening too.

I'll make a commitment to stick with this thread though throughout the year as well as my blog. One quick question, can already started games be eligible for this challenge? Or only new games?

Updated: 7/5/14

Games: 39/52

GAME 1: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds -14 hours 47 min (5hrs in 2014)
#: I started this on Christmas, but I wasn't able to finish before the new Year, so this will be the first game I complete in 2014. I'm at the final dungeon now, really neat game although eerily similar to ALTTP which isn't really a bad thing.
#Beat the final boss

GAME 2: VVVVVV - 2 hours
#: A pretty frustrating game. I felt the controls were really loose, so every time you moved and let go of the arrow key the character would move a little bit farther which was difficult getting use to, but it was free ($0.49 which was paid for with steam cards) and wasn't that long of a game, so it was worth it. I only collected 9 trinkets, but I saw the credits roll.

GAME 3: Tomb Raider (2013) - 10-15 Hours?
#: I'm halfway through Tomb Raider (2013). It's pretty neat, but I don't really feel strongly in one way or another about it. I think it's cool you can back track and open up new areas with new equipment you find, but there's just no sense of urgency in the combat after playing The Last of Us. I think The Last of Us has really ruined cinematic action games for me because of how well crafted it is. The regenerating health in most modern games in this genre have really made me numb to the fact that a savage is running at me with a pick-axe. The story is also shit, voice acting is meh, and there's something about Laura's animation that is off to me. The bow is fun as hell to use though. I'm thinking I'll be finishing the story by the end of the week.
#: The game got better as you gained more equipment and opened up a little bit of exploration. I definitely felt the heavy influence of the Uncharted series throughout the adventure with certain scenes mimicking Uncharted. I thought it did do some things better than Uncharted though; you can quick travel back to and often times loop to previous areas when new equipment is found and it opens up new pathways. The weapon system is better, allowing Lara to carry all guns she receives unlike Uncharted where only 2 weapons can be carried at a time; however, Naughty Dog changed their system in TLoU to include carrying all weapons at once, and the ability to upgrade them. Tomb Raider also has side quests and objectives to fool around with which I thought was something improved on the uncharted formula.
#: The story and characters though... jesus. Some really shitty paranormal story goes on. Uncharted does those better. Lara has a bunch of weird college friends she hangs out with who tend to cheer her on and call her a badass after she saves them from getting eaten by presumably cannibals. Lara's main mode of transportation is falling. She's about as graceful as a drunk girl trying to find her dorm room on a friday night. I know they were trying to make her a strong female character, but watching her get hit repeatedly in the face by a bunch of men, Falling on her head or getting pierced through the stomach every couple of minutes, and wading through poop and blood rivers (which is a scene straight from Descent) just made me feel like they went overboard with trying to show she was strong and ultimately failed. Sure she survived something that she was literally impossible of surviving, but she didn't look extremely competent either when she just gets hurt in every conceivable way. I was falling down a waterfall once, and I pressed jumped by accident and Lara was impaled through the throat on a stick. Game Over.
#: I had a lot of fun with the game as it progressed, once equipment opened up and lite-exploration became available. As the gameplay expanded the story and characters kind of imploded, but it made for a good laugh. A drinking game could be made for the amount of falling Lara does.

GAME 4: Proteus - 31 minutes
#: An extremely interesting game. I bought it after playing and enjoying Dear Esther and hearing about it on GiantBomb's GOTY podcast. You just walk around pretty peaceful environments watching how they change as season's progress. The visuals were pretty charming and made the environments look rather beatuiful, and it was all done with what looks to be MS Paint (probably not, but it looks that way). Every animal and structure in the environment appears to have a different sound which was lovely to listen to. You do nothing but walk around, much like Dear Esther, but I find these games enjoyable and calming every once in awhile, and they don't last long enough to become irritating or grating.

GAME 5: Dark Souls NG+++ - 15 hours
#: I wanted to do a really quick run through of Dark Souls before the game released. I also never played/bought/finished Artorias of the Abyss and had a NG+++ save file with a lordvessel, so this playthrough was me mostly doing the DLC content which was freaking amazing. Hyped for Dark Souls II.

GAME 6: Mark of the Ninja - 6 Hours
#: Really neat. I'm on the penultimate level right now. Cool stealth game.
#: The ending level was a little underwhelming. Just walk in a straight line, but the other levels were pretty awesome.

Game 7: Zone of the Enders - 4 hours 26 minutes
#Pretty cool robots. Combat could get a little repetitive, and I cannot believe it was that short. I thought I would be going to Mars. Can't wait to play the sequel which is suppose to be better.

Game 8: Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner - 8 hours 32 minutes
#An improvement over the first game with more hectic combat; however, the hectic combat doesn't always add up to the best camera scheme. Automatic lock-on can cause frustration when there are a hundred enemies on screen; there were a couple instances where the game really frustrated me because of this. It runs extremely smooth, and you get some extremely cool sub-weapons/power-ups late into the game.

Game 9: Fire Emblem: Awakening - 17 hours 26 minutes
#I started it last year then stopped around chapter 18 for some reason or other. I picked it up again in late January, restarted the game and had a blast once again. It was on my GotY list for a reason last year. My 3DS activity log has over 200 hours in Fire Emblem, but that's because my girlfriend and I share the 3DS. She's gone through the game multiple times, and I've gone through it 1.5 times now. I finished the campaign with no one dying. I got 7 or 8 children too, until I just wanted to move on and finish the campaign. I'll go back and get the rest of the kids eventually.

Game 10: SteamWorld Dig - 4 hours 26 minutes
#Great Dig Dug-esque game with power ups. A little short, and I wish it had bosses outside of the final boss.

Game 11: Rouge Legacy - 18 hours 26 minutes
#Started it late December and was hooked for a solid week, but got distracted with other games. It's an amazing game for anyone looking for a castlevania rouge-like. Praise the archmage with the time spells! They're an unstoppable force!

Game 12: Outland - 4 hours 33 minutes
#Really neat amalgamation of a classic Prince of Persia game and Ikaruga.

Game 13: Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 10 hours and 18 minutes
#I know the internet has been asking for a Zelda in the style of Dark Souls, but that game has already been made. Zelda II felt extremely similar in many ways to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls; hidden areas, difficult combat, penalty for game overs including restarting from a central temple or hub and losing all exp points. I really enjoyed how different the game was from the rest of the series, especially how ganon was nowhere to be seen (except for game over sequence). It's importance to the series is usually understated. The journey to the great palace was terrible though...

Game 14: Crash Bandicoot - ~8 hours
#The game has an infuriating save system that sets you back a couple levels if you get a game over. Platforming could become pretty difficult, especially due to the added depth in 2D platforming levels.

Game 15: Persist - ~20 minutes
#Really short free to play indie game on gamejolt. I had some time in the internet cafe on campus waiting for my girlfriend to get out of class, and ended up finding this really neat game. It takes you through 3 or 4 levels and has a really interesting twist ending. I was debating whether or not to add this to my 52 games, but in the end it's a game, no matter how small or short, and the effort the developer put into it should be recognized.

Game 16: Gargantua ~ 3 hours
#Really great recommendation from this month's indie gaf thread. It's only 7 levels long composed of shadow of the colossus meets patapon-esque boss fights. Each boss fight is more difficult than the next. There was a lot of frustration on level 4 due to jumping into lava while trying to make my way across to the next level (this occurred after beating the Gemini). Anyway awesome game and I can't wait to play more of Schizoid's album.

Game 17: How Mosquito Became Human ~ 30 minutes
#Frog controls are extremely hard.

Game 18: Tower of Heaven ~30-45 minutes
#Really neat free little title with gameboy astetics. Can be a rather challenging platformer. Each new room brings about new restrictions on the character. For example, no walking left, no touching sides of blocks, no touching organic life, etc.

Game 19: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back ~ 5 hours
#Better than the first game. Some of the level design can get repetitive though

Game 20: Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped ~ 5 hours
#The best crash of the 3 games. I collected all the crystals, but I don't want to bother with the gems. I saw the ending credits.

Game 21: Beneath the Surface ~ 10 minutes
#I've been playing a couple Ludum Dare challenges this year after learning about it. This was one of the entries highlighted on IndieStatik for the 29th Ludum Dare Challenge. Really neat game with a cool narrative. I'm really enjoying these small independent titles, especially now that I'm working 2 jobs.

Game 22: Where Gods Sleep ~ 20 minutes
#My second Ludum Challenge game today. It's been a really slow night at work; I needed something to do. I'll have to go back and see how the music is because I was playing with it muted, but the visuals are really something. It has an interesting light/dark world mechanic too. It was a little confusing to navigate though, and I didn't really know what the objective was until the end, but maybe audio cues help (if there are any).

Game 23: Titan Souls ~ 1 hour
#Pretty neat Ludum Challenge game. The ending was disappointing though.

Game 24: Midas ~20 min
#Winner of the 22nd Ludum Dare. Neat puzzle platformer.

Game 25: Spyro the Dragon ~5-8 hours
#Pretty good. I thought it was better than Crash Bandicoot. I thought the lack of any real goals other than collect treasure was a little boring at first as the worlds were pretty empty and expansive, but the collect-a-thon clicked a couple of worlds in. I'll be play the rest of the Insomniac Trilogy this year too. Skylanders is tempting...

Game 26: The Sea Has No Claim ~30-45 minutes
#A game by Lucas Pope, creator of Papers, Please, for the 29th Ludum Dare. Based off of the events of Flight 370. The player must search for crash planes in the sea and find them in a timely manner to save survivors of the crash. I completed all maps. It was pretty fun and each new area gives you access to new search methods. If the submarines (which save survivors after locating the crash) are not directly on the crash site then you fail which got annoying when my submarines were a couple pixels away from the crash site. Cool game over all though.

Game 27: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage ~5-8 hours
#A lot more focused than the first Spyro game. Each world was unique and offered silly themes and locals. I collected 7,777 gems and 43 orbs. I'll probably take a little break from the Spyro trilogy and play a couple other games before coming back to start the third game.

Game 28: rain ~ 3-4 hours
#Very simple game with no real challenge, but the relaxing atmosphere of rain drops and Chopin along with the tense moments of being chased by the monsters really made me enjoy the game. Extremely concise and sweet.

Game 29: The Legend of Zelda - 5 hours 31 min.
#I've been working on this since I beat Adventure of Link. It was nice to go back and finally play the original. I had to use a guide to find all the secret areas, but I tried to do the dungeons without a map. I'm not sure how anyone could beat these games without looking up things because there are just so many hidden objects. Zelda II was the same in that regard.

Game 30: Monument Valley ~ 1-2 hours
#Really neat perspective puzzles. Beautiful atmosphere and the environment has some neat musical notes when played around with. It's definitely a contender for my favorite game released in 2014 at the moment.

Game 31: Ridiculous Fishing ~ 8-11 hours
#I got off of work today came home at 5PM and neglected everything to 100% this game. I basically played it start to finish. It's now 2:14AM and I can finally say that I've filled out the entire fishopedia. I caught all 66 fish. The Moray was the last one on the list and it was a nuisance to find. Such a great game. Vlambeer are quickly becoming one of my favorite developers.

Game 32: Metroid Fusion - 4 hours 35 minutes
#Really enjoyed the atmosphere. Gameplay and exploration relied too much on hidden pathways which was a bit annoying for navigation at times. Boss fights were awesome.

Game 33: The Plan - 8 minutes
#You're a fly. You fly up. The ending is great. It's free on Steam, and was made by the developers of Among the Sleep.

Game 34: You Have to Win The Game - 2 hours 44 minutes
#Really fun free platformer on steam, sort of reminded me of VVVVV due to all the spike traps, but a lot less frustrating. I ended up getting 100%.

Game 35: Pandora's Tower - 14 hours 46 minutes
#I got a fairly bad ending (the game has multiple endings). It was very blunt way to end the game, so to get some closure I looked the true ending up online which was much more satisfying. I'm not sure if I would have to replay the game to see it, but having already gone through all the bosses and dungeons I don't want to do it again. The game is pretty neat. I enjoyed it much more than The Last Story, another title in the Operation Rainfall campaign. Very cool boss designs, challenging, and the dungeons had a good sense of verticality. A couple of the towers repeated themes which was somewhat annoying and the final tower with invisible warp points that you had to use perishable items to find was the biggest pain in the ass.

Game 36: Gravity Bone & Thirty Flights of Loving - 55 minutes
#While these are two separate games, Gravity Bone came packaged with Thirty Flights of Loving and is the prequel to Thirty Flights of Loving. Because both were so short and were played back to back in one sitting, I thought I should package them together on my list as well. Both had me smiling the whole time. I really loved the atmosphere and music.

Game 37: LOVE - 33 minutes
#A retro platformer with what looks like an Atari 5200 aesthetic. 12 levels all of which are filled with challenging platforms and a great soundtrack to accompany each level. The game ends up being a time trial. The faster you get through the level, the fewer checkpoints you spawn, and the less you die, the more your score goes up. Really cool experience.

Game 38: Year Walk - 2 hours
#Woah! Creepy. Cool music. Cool atmosphere. Cool Story. Great Horror Game to play with the lights off. Puzzles did stump me in some areas.

Game 39: Frog Fractions - approx 1 hour
# I didn't understand... I understand now. I've heard GiantBomb mention this countless times, but when I went to play it a few months back, it seemed like an endless score base game about catching bugs with your tongue. I thought maybe it's just an addictive score game like Threes! But it didn't make sense the way it was talked about. I think it was Patrick who mentioned it's one of those games that the community doesn't want new players to be spoiled or told what it really is, and thus I realized I must have missed something... Man did I miss something. Play the game and remember to use the S key when you're ale to move using the WASD command.

Kolgar

I fell off pace badly starting in April (thanks, Titanfall), but I'm still chipping away.

First post
Second post

Game 21. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point [PC] 5.5 hours – finished April 13
I was itching for more of F.E.A.R.’s trademark horror and slow-motion gunplay—the visceral, acrobatic joy of which has not been matched, let alone beat—and this expansion fit the bill. I’d have liked to have seen even more of Alma and dug a bit deeper into the story, but as an expansion, that’s not what this is about. Come for the action, enjoy some scares, and get out.

Game 22. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate [PC] 6.5 hours – finished April 28
To my delight, this expansion boasts improved graphics, from native widescreen support and higher-resolution texture maps, to much greater level variety and, unless my eyes deceive me, ratcheted-up physics. It’s creepier and more unsettling than the first expansion—the game made my skin crawl several times—and the gunplay is as good as ever. Hands-down superior to Extraction Point, and a great ride overall. Bonus points for the late-game music that for me recalled the haunting cacophonies from PSX Doom.

Game 23. Condemned 2: Bloodshot [360] 9 hours – finished April 29
Playing the F.E.A.R games reminded me that I hadn’t finished Condemned 2 after starting it years ago. After loving the original game, I found this sequel disappointing as it sacrificed atmosphere and scares for a new, head-on boxing simulation. Plus, they screwed up the character designs (I found big, muscular Ethan off-putting). Too bad.

Game 24. Outlast: Whistleblower [PS4] 4.5 hours – finished May 18
I found this to be a more harrowing experience than the original game, with some truly shocking segments that I will never forget. That said, I’m not very good at stealth games and my too-frequent deaths etched the game’s loading screen into my memory more than anything. Nevertheless, this DLC delivered great value for the low asking price and I look forward to whatever this developer does next.

Game 25. Go! Go! Nippon! My First Trip to Japan [PC] 3.5 hours – finished June 1
I enjoyed “touring” Japan with my two adorable hosts, and Google Maps virtually showed me places I’ve always wanted to see. This was a charming adventure, unfortunately marred by clumsy dialog (too many awkward conversations made up of “Huh?” and “……” exchanges). Even so, I had fun seeing and learning about the traditions, history, culture, and cuisine of various cities in Japan. Though I am still not sure how I feel about those few titillating situations at the girls’ home, lol.

Game 26. Wolfenstein: The New Order [PS4] 7.5 hours – DNF
It’s been my heartfelt desire to finish every game on this list, but the dream ends here. I made it nine levels in before I simply had my fill of the repetitive enemies and clumsy controls. (It’s frustrating not being able to jump over or up to objects that seem perfectly accessible. And oh, that broken stealth mechanic.) I loved Starbreeze back in the day, and this game showed hints of that greatness, but ultimately, the new Wolfenstein fell flat for me. And these days, my limited game time is too precious to spend on games I don’t love.

Game 27. Injustice: Gods Among Us [360] 7.5 hours – finished June 15
The revitalized Mortal Kombat facelift and formula work wonders with in the service of super heroes. Great graphics, fast and furious gameplay, and some smart dialog make this title a feast for fighting fans. I loved the cinematic story mode. The characters are, uh, full of character. You can tell a lot of care went into this one, and I highly recommend it.

Game 28. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse [PS3] 3.5 hours – finished June 22
I downloaded this game free courtesy of PSN, and now I wish I’d supported the developers with my money. Quite a charming little platformer here, with pretty graphics and simple yet challenging gameplay. Oh, how those later levels made my heart pound! If you like platforming games and you’re looking for a brief burst of fun, Castle of Illusion is a place worth visiting.

Game 29. Ikaruga [PC] – 1 hour – finished June 27
It’s been a long time since I got my shooter on, and Ikaruga is just as beautiful and difficult as they say. Awfully short, but an array of generous skill settings allow even shooter-scrubs like me to enjoy the game. If you play on default settings, I imagine you’ll struggle with it for a good long while.

Game 30. Resogun [PS4] – 6 hours – finished June 29
Now, here’s something I’ve wanted for years—the classic arcade game, Defender, with a slick next-generation coat of paint! Despite the beautiful voxels, I cannot play this in long bursts. But as a heart-pounding palette-cleanser, it’s a pretty neon treat.

eot

Banned
Game 15: Dishonored - 15½ hours, Jul 6th
I love the games that Dishonored draws inspiration from, the late 90's immersive sims, so I'm not sure why I ignored it when it first came out. Everyone was saying the right things but I didn't get excited about it. I'm glad I finally played it though, because it's fantastic. More streamlined than I would've liked, but it still retains enough of those Looking Glass design ideals, in contrast to BioShock which mostly threw them away. It falls short of being a classic, but it's still one of the best games I've played this year. Maybe even the best, only not quite my favourite.

Hubb

OP

B]29) Saints Row: the 3rd[/B]
What to say? It was over the top, though I thought they could have went even crazier than they did at places like the virtual reality section. Missions were varied enough for the most part and the cast was pretty good overall. In fact my biggest complaint about the cast is that if you focus on one person's missions it could be a long time until you see them again (if you see them again) once you finish "their" story line. As far as game play goes the game suffers from what most open world games do (to me at least). XYZ mission has 3 parts and all 3 parts are as far away from each other as possible. Unnecessary padding for the most part.

donny2112

I've been falling behind. Playing MK8, AA5 (still), and a couple of other games off and on, but have been watching more Netflix, etc. the last few weeks. Priorities! :lol

molnizzle

I haven't on top of my backlog for much of the year, but I'm starting to really crack down on it now. At least half the games on my list were finished in the last two months. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up the pace and hit 52 by the end of the year! Even if I don't, it's nice to clear out some of the backlog.

I'm gonna skimp on the comments for now since this is kind of a "catch up" post for the first half of the year. I'll expand on them later. My listed play durations are fairly accurate since I'm actually quite diligent about logging my play time on Raptr.

Anyway:

1.) Warframe - 525 hours (PS4)
Roughly 300 hours played in 2014, I'm counting this shit.

2.) Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - 19 hours (PS4)
Great game. I'm super pumped for the sequel, even if it has a dumb name.

3.) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 4 hours (PS4)
"Why did I spend $30 on this?" / 10

4.) Titanfall - 36 hours (XBO)
Loved this game, but the screen tearing eventually became too much for me to handle.

5.) Infamous: Second Son - 24 hours (PS4)
Got the platinum just because it's so easy to do. Game was alright.

6.) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 37 hours (PC)
Just built a new PC after years of console exclusivity. First game - TW2. Good call.

7.) Saints Row: The Third - 26 hours (PC)
Been meaning to play this one for a while. Loved it.

8.) Batman: Arkham Asylum - 9 hours (PC)
Interesting combat, though I didn't start to really understand it until the final few hours.

9.) Dark Souls - 121 hours (PC)
Still coming back to this one every now and then. Almost finished with the achievements.

10.) Spec Ops: The Line - 7 hours (PC)
"...fuck." / 10

11.) Dragon Age II - 32 hours (PC)
This game is not very good, but damn it, I wanted to see the story for myself before Inquisition.

12.) Wolfenstein: The New Order - 15 hours (PC)
Whoa. They turned B.J. Blaskowicz into an actual character. Why? Shut up, I'm dual wielding assault rifles.

13.) Portal - 3 hours (PC)
Yeah, I'd never played Portal. Hilarious game, I'll be sure to play through it again with the commentary.

14.) Darksiders - 27 hours (PC)
Fun game, loved most of it... but damn did it start to drag at the end. That last fetch quest was tedious as hell.

15.) Syndicate - 10 hours (PC)
Halfway through the game I'd have scored it 9/10. By the end... maybe 7/10.

16.) Borderlands - 34 hours (PC)
Pretty fun game, bummer that I had to play through the entire thing solo though. Stupid GameSpy.

17.) Ryse: Son of Rome - 6 hours (XBO)
I can't believe they're still trying to charge $60 for this. It's worth a play through... for $20. Thanks, GameFly.

18.) Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - 8 hours (PS4)
Played through Act V and called it a day. Destiny was close.

19.) Destiny - 390 hours (PS4)
This fucking game. Finally kicked the habit I think.

20.) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - 12 hours (XBO)
Playing through the MCC campaigns in order. I dicked around on Legendary for a while before starting over on normal. Heh.

Game 18: Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward [Vita] 45:06

Visual Novels are probably my now third favorite genre. I love just being able to relax with a game once in awhile instead of 30 hours of gogogogo. I wasn't aware you could "Jump" to any part of the timeline until about 40 hours in, so I replayed each and every branch a few times, instead of skipping, suchhh a waste of time. Anyway I got the Platinum and either way I'm happy with the game.

Updated Post

eot

Banned
Game 16: Far Cry 2 - approx 20 hours, Jul 9th
A game that can be fun, but tries its hardest to make you not enjoy it. The amount of guard posts and randomly spawning armed vehicles are just too much, and the world itself feels like it's trying to block your path at every possible turn. I think it's a very flawed game.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 33: Space Ace
Playwd via PSNow since it is free. Though it almost feels like cheating putting it here

StingX2

Game 39: Mutant Mudds Deluxe - 5 Hours
(Started 6/27/14 / Finished 7/8/14)
I wanted to play this so bad, and it is really freaking boring. Like there is nothing to this game, and I hate that you can't hold the powerups on you. Only one at a time....ugh. The secret levels are the most interesting part but you have to suffer through 20 levels to really consistently do them. The ghost levels? just wait til you have grannie who can equip all three powerups.

OP

I CAN SEE THE END

TP17

Original post

2. The Wolf Among Us - PC
Completed 10/07/2014
Another great game by Telltale. I did prefer The Walking Dead (1st season) but still had a great time with this.

I'm somewhat behind pace...

StingX2

Game 40: Bucky O' Hare - 5 Hours
(Started 6/28/14 / Finished 7/10/14)
The game is painful but it has a lot of interesting way before its own time ideas by Konami. Can't recommend this disaster to anyone but it was interesting.

Game 41: Gears of War - 6 Hours
(Started: 6/26/13 / Finished 7/10/14)
Finally went through the last two acts and while I like the cover system the game had very little thrill to it for me. I enjoyed some aspects but a lot of the game was me just wanting something to happen, or groaning at the 500th split-up.

OP

Congratulations to all the new people who have finished the challenge! Job well done!
I've been forgetting to update my previous posts so I guess I'll do that now!

69. Bayonetta(PS3) June 24th - 6hrs 52m

I really enjoyed my time with Bayonetta, the combat system was really interesting although I did have a tendancy to fall back on the dante sword with the dante moves, I can't help it I'm too use to Devil May Cry, haha.

I am REALLY looking forward to playing Bayonetta on the WiiU though, the framerate at certain times was nearly unplayable(chapter 8 was dreadful, low FPS and requiring me to platform across cars and if I miss I take damage? ugh!) so when I get to play it at 60FPS it'll be awesome!

70. Guacamelee: Gold Edition(PC) June 30th - 4hrs37m
Finally got around to finishing this game, it was an okay game but it didn't really click with me, nothing really stood out for me to make it amazing, soundtrack was pretty good though.

July

71. Gone Home(PC) July 1st - 53 minutes
I like to think of this games story like I do with half-life, it's a pretty interesting story but the way its told makes it WAY better, it was an interesting little game but I'd like to see it expanded upon further, also there are a few things that just don't make any sense, like apparently some
hair dye
has been in the bath for a couple of years? why has no one cleaned that up? or that
One of the points the game makes is about looking in the mirror, BUT THERE ARENT ANY IN THE HOUSE, once I heard the dialogue for the bit with the mirror I spent a lot of the game just looking for a mirror, ANY mirror, but nope, none at all in the house, seems like they should've just reworded the dialogue to make it so that it didnt bring up a mirror because that's the only reason I noticed the lack of mirrors

72. Batman: Arkham City(PC) July 5th - 5.5hrs
I've already talked about my thoughts on this game earlier in the year so I'm just replaying it for fun, good game.

73. Mario Kart 8(WiiU) July 5th - 2hrs3m
Pretty enjoyable game, I've never played a Mario Kart game before so playing this was rather interesting, although I did mainly pick it up for the free game, Wind Waker HD, here I come!

74. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition(PC) July 10th - 26hrs 44m
It's a pretty enjoyable game, although OnS and the final boss gave me a BUNCH of trouble(spent 4hrs on OnS and 3hrs on the final boss, every other boss I beat on my first or second try, lol)

I LOVE the world of Dark Souls though, it's just so beautiful in a disgusting way, a friend of mine describes it as the prettiest ugly game ever, and that's exactly what I think of it as well, it's just oozing with atmosphere and I'm not sure how to explain it's atmosphere but it's a good atmosphere, in a disgusting kinda way!

eot

Banned
Game 17: F.E.A.R. - 8 hours, Jul 11th
This game reminds me, unsurprisingly, of Shogo:MAD. The pace and lethality of the combat is just the same. They're both games where I quicksave every 10m, because you can round a corner and lose half your health before you know what's going on. I don't mind the 'reload until you get it just right' gameplay, but maybe the way to play the game is to put it on easy and not worry about taking damage. Anyway, the bullet time is a lot of fun. The downside is that the guns feel tuned for slow mo and not real time, so if you run out of your reflex meter it's better to hide than to charge in. I think I was in bullet time for 99% of my shots fired. The uninspired environment design also deserves a mention, the majority of levels in the game are interchangeable since they use the same props and textures. The combat is fun enough to carry the game, but with some memorable levels this game could've been a classic instead being fondly remembered but sort of forgotten at the same time.

Hubb

OP

30) Banner Saga

Great game and lots of fun. Can be very challenging if you go into it blind and make all the choices as you personally would (bit me in the ass a bunch). Would have been fun to play around with some different menders or even different weapon types. Hopefully they are saving that for the sequel/next part.

StingX2

Game 42: Tekken 2 - 30 Mins
(Started 7/11/14 / Finished 7/11/14)
Picked it up for 99 cents since it was the only Tekken I've never played. Its better than the first but man that King costume is bad

OP

Game 11: The Wolf Among Us
FKR9jm9.jpg

I guess I should preface this by saying that I am a huge, huge, huge Fables fan. So when I saw that the series was getting an adaption, I was hugely excited. And while I found the final episode to be a little underwhelming, and perhaps typically Telltale-ish in that my choices didn't really seem to matter, on the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed playing this. If we're making comparisons to other Telltale games, I don't think it was better than TWD1, but I do think it was better than TWD2. The engine still suffers from some clunkiness, the sound at times isn't mixed great, the "boss battle" kind of sucked, and there's still a need to flesh out the "choice" system. All those "complaints" aside, I do think the game looked quite attractive, the story was at least mostly faithful to the Fables name, and overall, I think there was a good deal of emotional impact behind creating "my" Bigby Wolf.

If there's a second season, I will gladly support the game, but I will not be playing it episodically like I did this season. I'll just wait for it to finish. No more of this 1-2 month long wait. Really ruins the flow.

Game 12: Binary Domain
E4RtS5i.jpg

Wow. This is quite an interesting game really. I'll be honest, some people seem to think the "Trust" system in this game is stupid, but I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Just to touch the tip of the iceberg, I love that there are penalties for friendly fire. Sure, the AI can actually muck up and get in your ways at time, but it was still a nice addition to the usual bullet-sponges your teammates are. Speaking of bullet-sponges, I loved that your teammates can die. Really made the battles carry some weight. Going back to the trust system, I found myself reflecting on how much more real it made the game seem. Since you're rewarded with trust when you do cool things in battle, I found myself risking more and more to show off, something you don't need to do in a usual single-player FPS. Who cares what your AI teammates "think" in those games?

The story was kind of meh. It was compelling enough to keep me engaged, and probably one of the best "Terminator-esque" games we'll see. It wasn't that unique though, and I have a gripe that the main character Dan was too much of a "dude-bro" character. I found that quite disappointing since Faye, Charlie, Bo and even Cain were fairly fun characters.

The game also did suffer from some of the usual nonsense in shooters, like a jet-ski corridor scene. Yuck. Some of the dialogue, especially from dude-bro Danny came off as a bit stilted and cliche at times. I didn't even bother touching the MP. Overall though, very pleased with the game.

Game 13: Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons
jHpoiYK.jpg

Man oh man. What a heartwrencher. At one point last week, I got frustrated by a puzzle and dropped the game to start something else. I'm glad I sat down today and powered through it. Without spoiling the ending, it's powerful as heck. Especially deserving of note here is the music. The OST just draws out the emotion and stabs you in the heart repeatedly. For perhaps the first half of the game, I was playing through wondering what exactly was so emotionally poignant about this game. Everyone had been raving about it! Then I
saved the man who was about to hang himself. And after that, I walked through that valley of dead giants. And after that the Big Brother dies and the burial, and that final scene and just holy cow.
I don't think I've ever been left feeling this sad at the end of a game. Touched, but just so sad.

Original post.

kubus

#10 - Transistor / PC / 06:00 / May 21
Sadly, I was hugely disappointed by this game. Bastion still remains as one of my favourite games ever so I had high expectations for Transistor. The battle system is absolutely genius and I liked trying out combinations. But that and the music are kinda the only things I liked about this game. Story didn't do anything for me, the narrator was boring and reminded me too much of Bastion. It was also very short. Just a big meh :(.

#11 - Mario Kart / Wii U / June 9
I skipped out on Mario Kart Wii and the 3DS game is still shrink-wrapped on the shelf (I have a huge 3DS backlog) so it's been a while since I played a Mario Kart. I absolutely love this game. The visuals are amazing, the tracks are fun - what more do you want? Okay, maybe less Pink Gold Peach and more Dry Bones. But it's just a blast to play. Good job, Nintendo.

#12 - Banished / PC / 14:00 / June 26
I've never played a citybuilding sim game before but I was really interested in Banished. The setting and emphasis on survival was very intriguing. I'm glad I picked this up because it easily ate 14 hours of my time within a span of three days. Very addictive, but the lack of a campaign or scenario mode kills the re-playability of this game a lot. So after I made a successful town of more than 100 people I felt like I was kinda done with it. Hopefully mod tools will bring me back!

#13 - Octodad: Dadliest Catch / PS4 / 06:00 / July 9
Played this co-op (roulette mode) with the boyfriend and it was a blast! We had so much fun playing this, it's absolutely hilarious. I don't want to know what the devs were on when they made this, but I'm happy they did. Almost done hunting down every tie and I'll try my hand/tentacle at beating it on Hard mode too. Very happy with this purchase.

#14 - Spec-Ops: The Line / PC / 08:00 / July 10
Always wanted to play this but somehow I always missed it during Steam sales. I finally got my hands on it thanks to Humble Bundle, but after beating it, I'm sad I didn't buy it at its regular price. The devs truly created something amazing here. Not going to say anything else, but I probably won't be playing FPS games for a while.

#15 - Gone Home / PC / 02:00 / July 11
It's funny how this game isn't a horror game at all but it's definitely the creepiest game I've ever played. If you can call it a game, that is. I thought the story was cute but I'm not super impressed. I somehow feel... misled? It was building up to a crazy mystery story but in the end it kinda ends on an anti-climax. I'm glad this exists though and it was definitely interesting to "play".

#16 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons / PC / 03:00 / July 12
Wooooow. I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't play this last year because it would've definitely ended up in my GoTY list. Everything in this game comes together beautifully and I'll admit I cried. Beautiful game and a must-play.

#17 - Tomodachi Life / 3DS / +40:00 / July 12
This game can't really be beaten but I've put SO much time in it that I can't really let this game slip by in this challenge. Since release (June 6) I played it everyday until at least the date marked above, but I'm starting to feel I've seen everything the game has to offer by now. So I'm going to mark this as beaten now. Very quirky and funny game.

Original post

OP

Final game complete! Will continue to update my list as I complete more throughout the rest of the year of course.

Some stats for fun.

Games per console:
25 - PC
11 - PS3
6 - PS1
4 - PS2
3 - 3DS
2 - Vita
1 - DS

Games per amount of time spent:
37 - <10 hrs
11 - 10-20 hrs
2 - 20-30 hrs
2 - 30+ hrs

Favorite games so far:
Blackwell Epiphany, The Cat Lady, Lone Survivor: Director's Cut, Tomb Raider III

Least favorite games so far:
Yoshi's New Island, Tomb Raider Legend, Sonic Adventure 2

---------------------

Game 52: 140 (PC) - 43 mins
Fantastic rhythmic platformer with one of the better soundtracks I've heard in a game recently. Everything about this game felt just right. Don't think I'll be attempting the mirror mode though. I'm not every good with permadeath modes/games.

Game 53: Vessel (PS3) - 7 hrs~
Played this one to 100% completion. Nice little puzzle game. Some of the mechanics were a bit off when precision was required and a few of the achievements/trophies were incredibly finicky (possibly glitched?) to pop but I enjoyed this one overall.

GLuigi

Games 1-49

Darn, I thought I would be able to fit my whole list in one post

Game #50: Sonic Generations - 4 Hours
I played the 3DS version since I wanted to see what the different stages were like (There were some stage differences between the console and the 3DS versions). I didn't mind that the 3DS version consist of entirely the side scrolling stages for both Classic and Modern Sonic. I also found the Special emerald stages pretty amusing. The biggest plus for me is that Time Eater is a lot less annoying in this version. Its kind of a bummer that the Challenges in this game are really mediocre. They only consist of "Don't Die", "Collect X amount of rings", "Finish within this time limit", or "Don't kill anything". I have no clue what the multiplayer is like, i'm guessing its something like Sonic 2's multiplayer. Its a nice alternative for those who don't have the console/PC version, but at the same time its nothing to get all excited about.

Game #51: Inazuma Eleven - 23 Hours
Neat little RPG/Soccer game. I had a little trouble getting used to the touch screen controls in the beginning, but the game does a good job explaining it little by little instead of dumping it all on you. The best feature of this game is easily the ability to plan out your player's defending/attacking routes whenever the game is paused or whenever you need to defend the ball/avoid a tackle. It easily allows you to come up with a back up plan in case your initial plan goes wrong. The weirdest thing about the game is that the START button brings you to the title screen (after a confirmation). I can't tell you how many times (in the beginning) i lost my progress just because i thought i was going into the menu.

Game #52: Weapon Shop de Omasse - 9 Hours
This is one of those games where within the first 15 minutes you will have seen everything this game has to offer. Half of the game is building weapons (via rhythm game) and polishing them to increase their staff after someone has used them. The other half is choosing which weapons to rent out and reading up on their journeys on something that parodies Twitter. The only reason why I stuck through the end was to find out where each customer's story was headed and to see each of their endings. I actually finished the final boss with every Normal customer thinking I would get a cool secret ending. But nope, all I did was unlock endless mode SCREW THAT.

Game 28
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC) [Time Played 2hrs 45mins]

header_292x136.jpg

Steam Review
Twitch Gameplay - Part 1 & Part 2
Original List

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons is essentially a very story driven experience with some interesting puzzle elements to break up the gameplay. I don't want to say much more than that as the 'game' is very much the experience rather than the gameplay.

The use of the dual analog sticks to control both the Sons independently is a nice twist, and something I'd like to see more of (even if at times it was slightly confusing). In fairness it's only one of the bold decisions the developers made with Brothers, and for me most (if not all) of them worked.
The use of dual analog sticks; the belief in their storytelling being strong enough to not include subtitles to translate the pseudo-langauge they created within the game; and ultiamtely the story you experience.

It's a short review for a short game that lasted just shy of 3 hours in total, and the only thing I can really end this recommendation is:

If you enjoy indie games and the 'Art' experience they often deliver this for you. If you prefer deeper gameplay than this might not be what you're looking for, but it's still a worthwhile purchase for the narrative and platform-puzzle elements it provides.

Hubb

OP

31) Persona 4 Arena
The story line took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting such depth to a fighting game let alone a spin off. Playing through this only made me even more hyped for the sequel. That and Persona Q, I can only hope have as good a story.

Weiss

Banned
Game 37: Pokemon SoulSilver - 50 hours

I'm not much of a fan of Pokemon anymore, only picking this up because I used to religiously play the original Silver on my gameboy, but it's safe to say I'm back into it now. It was tons of fun building up my team how I wanted to, and I forgot how surprisingly deep the gameplay can be.

Will be getting X or Y one of these days.

kitzkozan

Lost count of where I was, but I should end the year with 30+ games completed which is enough for me. :p Think I started the year strong with Ass Creed 1 & 2, Killzone shadow fall, Halo 3. Completed Infamous since then and working on finishing Infamous 2, AC Brotherhood, Crysis, Xcom enemy within, Gears of War 3, Halo Reach, Bayonetta, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Vanquish & Shadowrun Returns.

I also started the Resistance / Killzone trilogies, so that's a lot of game which I partially finished. I also have Destiny, GTA V, KH 2.5 HD, Bayonetta 2 and The Last of Us remaster pre-ordered.

I'll make another post at the end of July to make a good follow-up of where I'm at. The trick is to play as many short game as you can if you happen to have them (shooters and indies are perfect for this). :]

Man, it's been a while. I'm within striking distance now--just eleven games to go!

The big highlight was Wolfenstein: The New Order, which most people have already heard is a good game. I am shocked that a Wolfenstein game, of all things, could have a story and a set of characters to compete with the likes of a Metro or a Singularity--not quite Bioshock or Half-Life tier, but close. This is a franchise whose modern incarnation began with you trying to escape from a Nazi prison and killing Mecha-Hitler, and do you really need another reason why? The New Order gives you plenty of other reasons why, from the superb art direction to the likeable characters (yes, even Jimi Hendrix, kind of) to moments of surprising empathy.

Also finished two smaller games, Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers and Gunpoint. The former is a neat little physics-driven 3D platformer where you slice up the environment, attach rockets and grappling hooks to the pieces, and fling them around to get where you need to go. There's also a curiously weird story to go along with the whole thing, and a soundtrack that feels like it should be in a game three times as large and expensive. Despite some awkwardness when playing with a controller (I recommend mouse and keyboard), it's a fun but short romp.

Gunpoint is also pretty short, which is probably the worst thing I can say about it. Imagine a hacking puzzle game dressed up as a noir spy novel with just a tiny dash of Jazzpunk. Now imagine you can jump through windows, tackle a guard, punch them in the face, and walk off like nothing happened. If that sounds pretty awesome to you, you should probably play Gunpoint.

Finally, a mobile game: Jelly Defense. It commits a cardinal sin of mobile games: it tries to waste your time. You can read my post for more details, but suffice it to say that as fun as it can be at times, wasting my time gets it an immediate failing score from me.

On the horizon: I'm still playing through Tales of Xillia and making decent progress. I have five other games to juggle, some of which I'll probably leave alone for a bit to concentrate on Xillia. It'd be nice if I could finish at least one non-Atelier JRPG this year; between Bravely Default, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and The Last Remnant, my record so far has been dismal.

Krafter

Congratulations to the new 52-club members!

We are Leaving for a 2-week vacation in a few hours (whee!) and I'll be bringing the handhelds for some relaxing times during travel/hotels, ect. My plan is killing off 1 game per system, so I should come back at the tail end of July right on the verge of the goal.

Game 44: Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - July 3 - 30 hours
Officially retiring this one, as I usually only play with the family and they've moved on to other things. Yet another entry on this list where the bulk of the play time is in the 2011-2013 range rather than the current year. Probably my favourite version of my favourite racing series, but it's only really fun in multiplayer. Just about done with the Wii, backlog is down to about 8 games or so, so this is the beginning of the end.

Game 45: Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (PS3) - July 6 - 7 hours
Found this for 1 dollar at Gamestop, so what the Hell. Played enough to get some nice cars, but there are only so many tracks and I'm not into racers enough to replay a run after I've "beaten" it (read: finished 3rd.) Looks gorgeous, though.

Game 46: Actual Crimes: Jack the Ripper (PSP) - July 12 - 2 hours
Another PS Mini Hidden Object Mystery played through with Mrs. Krafter. Quick and easy, save for a slide puzzle which always is a weakness of mine.

Original Post updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom