• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I would pay money for a P.T.-style game compilation

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think of this as the difference between tapas and like a giant all you can eat buffet. Personally, I've always been a fan of a shorter game vs. a longer game, adjusting for the genre. Like a 30 hour RPG is often better paced or less grindy than an 80 hour RPG. Whatever, point is that whether you agree with it or not, sometimes a short game can have something to offer vs. a longer game. A shorter experience can have something to offer vs. a longer experience.

I'm completely blown away by P.T. There's almost nothing TO it and yet there is so much to it. It's just two hallways and a bathroom. I don't know what this cost to make or how much it cost to make, but it is the best horror game I have played in 10 years bar none (well, maybe bar Amnesia).

I would buy a game that had 7-10 P.T. concept games on a disk. They don't have to all be horror. They don't have to be even similar. But there's something absolutely striking to me about a game with no cut scenes, no button prompts, no complex controls, no traditional...I don't know, anything...that relies 100% on its sound design and art design to convey an experience. To me, this is absolutely unique and priceless. I would love to have the opportunity to experience more of these.

I don't know who directed P.T....if it was Kojima or someone else and he just watched/helped...but it is one of the most impressive pieces of interactive software design I've ever played. Getting a bunch of these games you could play for 30 minutes to an hour each (or 5 hours if you are obsessive/insane) and then be done with it is something I find highly appealing.

I would love a slightly extended P.T., maybe a 15 - 20 dollar PSN game. Explore an entire house, oh man, the things they could do.

I seriously think PT could be it's own series lol

I haven't played Dear Esther but it sounds a bit like what you're describing, does it not? With regards to the 'no cut scenes, no button prompts, no complex controls, no traditional...I don't know, anything...that relies 100% on its sound design and art design to convey an experience'.

doofy102

Kojima has been talking about this "pilot episode for games" idea for a while. After Ground Zeroes and now P.T., it's clearly something he wants to keep doing. Maybe it will catch on.

Ferr986

Seems like Kojima and his team really nailed it with P.T. Lots of talking, still lots of streams...
I think they could really make P.T. its own series.

Asbear

Banned
P.T. was so good that I hope it's representative of the real Silent Hill to at least some extent. It also reminds me a little bit of Gone Home. House-exploration should be a new genre.

AniHawk

the fact that petey is free really undervalues the whole experience. i was really expecting a cinematic with some very limited adjustments to the camera, or a game demo that's just cut from a larger game. i can't tell if this was done as a response to ground zeroes backlash, if this was a proof of concept shopped around, or what have you, but i think this is the sort of thing that should be sold at retail for a good price, like $20 or something (which may be prohibitively expensive actually, but it really depends on dev costs).

the guild series on the 3ds is a similar idea, but at that point i don't know why they're supposed to be part of one package. i would rather have a piece of work speak for itself.

and i don't think the game needs any further elaboration. it's smartly designed, it tells a story, and it even, somehow, has secrets for the player to find. it just feels like a complete package to me.

Seik

Banned
Yeah, it was real good, I don't even remember the last time I was scared like that playing a game, but that's far away.

Arsenic13

What if PT is a commentary toward all of these scare-cam jump-scare horror games that pollute the market with their unoriginality?

PT's visuals and scares are pretty well-made, but do we really need their skills put into a style of game we have too much of?

Konami would be dumb to not spin off P.T. into some kind of episodic digital only series. The response has been immense. Keep Silent Hill third person and make P.T. first person. Maybe even collaborate with other developers for scenario/puzzle design for different episodes (Double Fine?).

legacyzero

Banned
Hmmm. I dunno. I feel like P.T. had some kind of lore to it that I would have liked to explore further. It was a great fucking demo, though. But to me, there's WAY more weight to the word "Teaser" than just hyping Silent Hills.

I actually wanted to go other places in the house. Hear more about the father going apeshit. Be haunted by more than just Lisa, but perhaps the kids as well? I'm also very happy to see so many people enjoying true horror again. And more-so to see Silent Hill potentially be GOOD once more.

Man, what an incredible thing that happened this week.

tolkir

No problem, you'll have Silent Hill Ground Zero for 29.99$.

8421-justasweaboo.jpg

Y2Kev

and i don't think the game needs any further elaboration. it's smartly designed, it tells a story, and it even, somehow, has secrets for the player to find. it just feels like a complete package to me.

Completely agree. The point should not be to extend or expand on the game. It's complete as is. It's to get more things like this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
the fact that petey is free really undervalues the whole experience. i was really expecting a cinematic with some very limited adjustments to the camera, or a game demo that's just cut from a larger game. i can't tell if this was done as a response to ground zeroes backlash, if this was a proof of concept shopped around, or what have you, but i think this is the sort of thing that should be sold at retail for a good price, like $20 or something (which may be prohibitively expensive actually, but it really depends on dev costs).

the guild series on the 3ds is a similar idea, but at that point i don't know why they're supposed to be part of one package. i would rather have a piece of work speak for itself.

I agree with all of this (except maybe the $20 price tag), and I also feel it succeeds in essentially being a pitch for what the Silent Hills team is able to accomplish. For a short experience it manages to drench the player in an unsettling atmosphere with diverse implementation of horror themes and storytelling while maximizing it's relatively simple structure and content. It accomplishes an impressive amount with so little and sells the talent of the team irrespective of the direction they go with for the main game.

Sylver

Banned
P.T remembered me a lot a point and click game (specially Dracula resurrection from PSX) but full 3D gameplay.
I want more games like it.

Cudder

Yeah. Gone Home just with P.T "mechanics".

I owuld buy the shit out of it.
The whole " figure out how to get to the end" thing with PT wouldn't nearly be as enticing a second or third time around. We got a nice treat at the end of PT which was amazing, but making them for the sake of making them, it kind of loses some of it's appeal. PT was a one of a kind experience, and it set out to accomplish something and it achieved that. If they were to make more there wouldn't really be a purpose for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll also add that I think the surprise release worked heavily in its favour, where word of mouth spread quickly but there was no real pre-release hype or media machine to over/undersell the pitch. Even knowing what it was before playing myself, and having the big announcement spoiled, the experience itself was still very new in almost every way.

legacyzero

Banned
I agree with all of this (except maybe the $20 price tag), and I also feel it succeeds in essentially being a pitch for what the Silent Hills team is able to accomplish. For a short experience it manages to drench the player in an unsettling atmosphere with diverse implementation of horror themes and storytelling while maximizing it's relatively simple structure and content. It accomplishes an impressive amount with so little and sells the talent of the team irrespective of the direction they go with for the main game.

This is what makes me most excited. This demo has Team Silent's style all over it, and TS isn't even involved (As far as I know). It's the perfect Silent Hill feel.

-"Even silence is a sound"
-Oppressive atmosphere.
-Very obscure
-Little-to-no context
-Lite on predictable jump scares.

Just get at least Ito and Yamaoka on the project, and Silent Hill will be great again.

I'll also add that I think the surprise release worked heavily in its favour, where word of mouth spread quickly but there was no real pre-release hype or media machine to over/undersell the pitch. Even knowing what it was before playing myself, and having the big announcement spoiled, the experience itself was still very new in almost every way.

Didn't DayZ do something like this as well? And it spread like wildfire.

Closing the PT at any time should have popped up a Paypal window for donations. Might have secured enough funds for their next project ;D

KiteGr

I would gladly buy all indies on psn if i find them on a retail form. (And i dont mean that "redeem code" bs)

Ethelwulf

I know that many want P.T. not to be representative of the final game, but in my case I really hope it is. As you said, it was a fresh experience. This is THE first person experience. Simplicity yields complexity if sound and game design are spot on. Looking forward to see what will happen.

Maybe if it was more like the first atmospheric, scary hour, rather than the frustrating, boring, unrewarding latter parts, that'd be great

DryvBy

I played it last night with my wife, lights out and volume up. I was sweating and couldn't even finish. My wife thought I was joking, but then she started to play it and couldn't make it very far before laughing and going, "Ok, it's much scarier when you're the one controlling it."

P.T. is perfection, and since the graphics/sounds are so well-done, it just adds to that fear.

I agree. I'd pay for a P.T.-type horror game.

jaaz

I've read just about every book Stephen King has written. What were my favorites? His short story compilations (e.g., Night Shift, etc.). You read a brilliant story, sometimes scared yourself, put the book down and repeat the next day. That's essentially what you are asking for and I would be right behind you at the cash register.

Food for thought: "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" was one such short story--enough said. And now a short playable teaser has managed to resurrect a much loved, but hurting gaming franchise.

I would love a slightly extended P.T., maybe a 15 - 20 dollar PSN game. Explore an entire house, oh man, the things they could do.

I seriously think PT could be it's own series lol
I would be disappointed if it doesn't become it's own series at this point. I hope Konami is smart and is sitting back watching the reactions this thing is getting. Kick it off with the other similar murder that they were talking about on the radio near the beginning of P.T.

Dascu

Maybe have a look at the indie games thread? There's tons of small or experimental games like that around.

sn00zer

Oh man short game compilations would be great
memories-dvd.jpg

Like this....but with videogames

I know there are a few, but imagine something like...a small 15min game from each Sony team in one compilation

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'd even pay 10-15 bucks for a well-made 1-2 hour game, so a compilation of those for the price of a full game would be pretty cool. I really enjoy games that I can finish in one evening, and the price would not be different from going to the movies and similar things.

so1337

I would pay money for P.T. period. Compilation or standalone.

I'm still fighting the urge to go get a PS4 so I can play it.

Y2Kev

I'd even pay 10-15 bucks for a well-made 1-2 hour game, so a compilation of those for the price of a full game would be pretty cool. I really enjoy games that I can finish in one evening, and the price would not be different from going to the movies and similar things.

Yeah, I mean, the point is not that I like PT and they should build out PT (though I'd pay for that obviously). What I like is the brevity and crispness of the experience and the way you can choose to get an extended amount of content out of it if you want OR you can play it in 40 minutes, get that WOW, and move on. I want like 8 of those on a disk.

Honestly I think there are no dev teams talented enough to do this 8 times.

I'd love that. Do something like The Three Extremes (horror film where 3 different Asian directiors--one from China, one from South Korea, and one from Japan) each direct a different horror short (or an American equivalent would be the V/H/S series).

3 (or more) different game directors each doing their own short horror (or whatever genre I suppose) experience? That would be amazing.

1. Shinji Mikami
2. Keiichirō Toyama
3. Hideo Kojima

Maybe have a look at the indie games thread? There's tons of small or experimental games like that around.

I was thinking that too. I think the OP wants more games like that but with the triple A budget and design talent behind it, especially in terms of art and sound.

There are a lot of indie horror games, but a lot of them don't feel this cohesive. I'd love to know if any are, though, besides games like Outlast, Penumbra, and Amnesia. Although, I would argue that this is even more cohesive than those in its simplicity.

It's kind of amazing how much the game has taken off.

sn00zer

I'd love that. Do something like The Three Extremes (horror film where 3 different Asian directiors--one from China, one from South Korea, and one from Japan) each direct a different horror short (or an American equivalent would be the V/H/S series).

3 (or more) different game directors each doing their own short horror (or whatever genre I suppose) experience? That would be amazing.

1. Shinji Mikami
2. Keiichirō Toyama
3. Hideo Kojima

I thought of this immediately... like a Konami, Capcom, Square each throw up a game...I think it could actually work if the games are sold separately at the same time...selling it as a collection would be really hard to figure out who gets what percentages and such

Although to be fair, even making a high quality small game with original art is a huge undertaking

EDIT: Give everyone the same theme and let them go wild....this happens every once an a while with anime directors

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While I agree P.T. is good, I am a bit surprised how many people are amazed by it. Maybe it's only because I play a lot of horror games, but there's many horror games like it... Not the same budget or production values obviously, and most all on PC, but there are many, many short horror experiences that are absolutely free, and some are utterly fantastic.

P.T. I thought was made to imitate these games, so why everyone is hailing it as so unique is going completely past me, and the thing that you're asking for I think already exists in plentiful amounts, but again, on PC. There's even games about going through halls with things changing slowly as you go through them that have existed, as in more than one, and a few have been around for a few years.

It'd be nice if more big studios would embrace it though, yes, and have more big studio 'tasting' games.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Honestly I think there are no dev teams talented enough to do this 8 times.

Is it that much different from making a single game with many levels, though? For instance, I could imagine playing a game like The Last of Us where every level (or something akin to Left Behind) is playable (and sold) separately. Of course, they would have to put more effort into making the level's story stand alone, and to add more gameplay twists to make every part more unique, but it could work.

Of course, a compilation with games where every game is much more distinct in terms of gameplay and atmosphere, so that you don't know what to expect when going in, would be the best and somewhat similar to sneak previews in cinemas, which I also enjoy.

Y2Kev

While I agree P.T. is good, I am a bit surprised how many people are amazed by it. Maybe it's only because I play a lot of horror games, but there's many horror games like it... Not the same budget or production values obviously, and most all on PC, but there are many, many short horror experiences that are absolutely free, and some are utterly fantastic.

P.T. I thought was made to imitate these games, so why everyone is hailing it as so unique is going completely past me, and the thing that you're asking for I think already exists in plentiful amounts, but again, on PC.

It'd be nice if more big studios would embrace it though, yes, and have more big studio 'tasting' games.

Make a list so I can try them. I'm really interested.

Freeman

Banned
Most game would be more compelling to me if they were shorter. Some games benefit from a longer duration but those are the minority.

It is also easier to make a shorter game have more replay value.

Top Bottom