• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Beta Thread

desu

ksheadership4gr1h.png

Kickstarter Page || Official Webstite || 104MB

What is Ghost song?
Ghost Song is a 2D "metroidvania" style game that not only gives players that feeling of isolation and minimalism Super Metroid fans long for, but also delivers an emotionally powerful story. This story is told not through pages of exposition or long cut scenes, but through being in the game, being in the moment, and observing events as they unfold. It's a highly ambient, atmospheric approach to story that falls somewhere between Super Metroid and Dark Souls in its tenor.

What the Beta is and what it isn't.

What it is:
A functioning preview of the game, a fairly (but not totally) polished slice that comprises roughly 1/6 of the total map size and takes place early in the game. This portion isn't totally insubstantial, and contains a number of secrets, power ups, items, weapons, and NPCs to find. Some more secret than others (some much more). While it's only a portion of the game, it's enough to impart the overall design and gameplay philosophy of the game. You'll get a picture of what it's like to play the game, but not the full picture. This is also a minimal-spoilers build in terms of story information.

What it isn't:
A full tour of what it's like to play the game. There are many important, defining powers and mechanics that aren't found until later, in parts of the game not covered in this build. This also isn't by any measure a finished product -- It contains placeholder assets in some instances. Some areas are a bit less polished than they ought to be, and certain elements such as dialogue are subject to change.

Other Beta information:

• The game can occasionally, at random, crash when switching to a new area. This is an elusive problem with the engine and remains under investigation. I hope to learn more about this through your participation.
  • There is no NDA. Once the keys are sent out, you can freely discuss the game, show videos, stream, whatever. I have nothing to hide. Obviously, it's forbidden that you attempt to distribute the game -- But showing/telling is absolutely fine.
  • Right now, the Beta is only available to Windows users.
  • The game supports gamepads. It is developed on, and to some extent assumes the use of Xbox 360 and Xbox One gamepads.
  • One part of the map is cut off at the start of the beta, this area will probably added later.
  • Controls explanation here.
For more details check out the latest Kickstarter post here.

Videos
Gameplay 1
Gameplay 2

Special Beta Event

Found by: Skab

Patches:

version 1.1.2

- slightly increased max possible distance of frontal dash

- The spawning platforms when you enter from below the scene will now vanish after a time whether you are standing on them or not.

- reduced screen fade in time slightly when entering a room

- on entering a room, imposed half second delay before jumping is allowed

- added slight glow from broken door in 10cc, in hopes of making it look more traversable

- allow "enter" to select menu options on keyboard

- taking damage now cancels out of any power up menus

- added a bit more of a visual clue to breakable floor in map fragment room

- thinned adds in spiker encounter

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Installing now, looking forward to playing it!

I am really happy because it means the game is in progress.
I don't think my pc specs would allow me to play it though. Not now.
One day I'll get to play it, it might take some time, but I've looking forward to that day since the first time I read about Ghost Song

Fireblend

Banned
Got my key. Now I can't wait to get home and check it out!
3AQmK.gif
from what Jobbs has said, the beta has some significant amounts of content, so I'm excited.

Roven

Banned
Game looks incredible
Music and Sound are very athmosperic
Controls are as expected pretty metroidesque

But its so hard ;( Cant even finish the first boss. Don't know if im missing something.
LT for diagonal shooting is not working for me or is it no supposed to be working from the beginning?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This must seem like such a stupid question, but how do I actually start the game on keyboard? Hitting Enter nor E works, and I can't use the mouse.

Jobbs

Banned
This must seem like such a stupid question, but how do I actually start the game on keyboard? Hitting Enter nor E works, and I can't use the mouse.

here's the controls http://steamcommunity.com/app/328720/discussions/0/613941122552277697/ generally speaking, choices are selected with the "A" button an an xbox 360 controller, which would be Z on a keyboard. I apologize for the keyboard controls not being entirely intuitive, I developed on gamepad.

thanks guys for the feedback, I'll be watching.

assuming I did this right, quote this post for 10 steam keys, first come first serve. If you find that they're all depleted please let me know.

Looking at the forums on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/328720/discussions/0/613941122552277697/
The game is designed for Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers. These will work perfectly out of the gate. If you have another controller it may still work, depending on what it is. Please report back your experiences if you test other controllers!

Default controls on a 360 controller:

A: Jump
B: Interact
X: Fire cannon
Y: Fire special weapon (once you acquire one)

LT: Hold for diagonal aim mode
L3: Cycle special weapons

Lb: Dash left (once you acquire dash ability)
Rb: Dash right

Back: Toggle map overlay

Left analog stick/digital pad: Movement/aiming
Right analog stick: Push camera

Keyboard Controls: (Not recommended, but possible)

Z: Jump
E: Interact
X: Fire cannon
D: Fire special weapon

Shift: Hold for diagonal aim mode
F: Cycle weapons

A: Dash left
C: Dash right

Q: Toggle map overlay

Arrows: Movement/aiming

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

Yeah, I was reading the control guide (first thing I did!) trying to eludicate an answer. Would never have thought of hitting Z, especially since it says it's for jump.

Spiegel

here's the controls http://steamcommunity.com/app/328720/discussions/0/613941122552277697/ generally speaking, choices are selected with the "A" button an an xbox 360 controller, which would be Z on a keyboard. I apologize for the keyboard controls not being entirely intuitive, I developed on gamepad.

assuming I did this right, quote this post for 10 steam keys, first come first serve. If you find that they're all depleted please let me know.

Got this one: X66ZM-Q775V-CH3RI

Thanks!

Servbot24

Banned
This game looks fantastic - probably my most anticipated indie game for 2015 (or whenever it finishes). Gonna try the Beta on my lunch break.

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone know how big is the download? I don't want to have to wait too long after I get home to start playing
KuGsj.gif

I'll be sure to provide as much feedback as I possibly can :)

desu

Music is really awesome and atmospheric.

Dat first boss D:!

Anyone know how big is the download? I don't want to have to wait too long after I get home to start playing
KuGsj.gif

I'll be sure to provide as much feedback as I possibly can :)

104MB.

inki

Used this code

52A2A-IRRZN-5VD7L

Thank you kind Sir and/or M'am

I'm really excited for this. Right up my alley!

Jobbs

Banned
Matt, How long does it takes for the beta come to mail? Havent got it yet...

I'll PM you a key in a sec. I'm doing this manually. XD

if anyone is a backer and still doesn't have their key,I want to get your key *ASAP* so email me at twotimingpete@gmail.com or PM me and I'll get it to you right away. be sure to mention that you're a backer and what your relevant email address is and what method you used to back.

Jobbs

Banned
I'll be announcing this soon, and you may want to have it in the OT, but here's the deal:

There is a NEOGAF emblem hidden in the game right now. It is NOT easy to get to.

If you see it and are the first to send me proof, either here, by email or by twitter, you will have a weapon named after you "____ device" in the full game.

(if your nick name is too silly sounding to fit within the theme of the game, I'll work with you to use something else that represents you, such as possibly your real last name)

Bazooka137

Neo Member
Thank you very much for the code
74YYY-GKMX7-9LNJC
Jobbs.

And congratulations! This game is looking unbelievably fantastic!

Skab

All of these have been taken.

:\

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
it's officially for $50 backers, but I am trying to find ways to get other people in too, such as being neogaffers in this thread. XD
Oh, I didn't even realise this. Thanks for sending me the key anyways!

Instro

I didn't back at the $50 level but definitely interested to see videos and beta talk. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

BPoole

I'll post more keys here a bit later.
Thanks for that :)

I won't be able to grab on though since I'm at work and can't access Steam to activate the key. I'll just patiently wait for the full release. I learned about Ghost Song after the KS had already ended and it looks like it could scratch my Megaman itch

Top Bottom