• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung GearVR launch titles set (this month), includes Oculus 1st party "Hero Bound"

Feep

Banned
This upsets me the most. I was sooo ready to watch movies in my DK2, but a theater player was never released. Is there going to be any way to take advantage of the Android app, in Windows?
Gear VR Cinema is, subjectively, about a 720p picture experience. More than enough for me.

Krejlooc

Banned
This upsets me the most. I was sooo ready to watch movies in my DK2, but a theater player was never released. Is there going to be any way to take advantage of the Android app, in Windows?

I would honestly expect cv1 to launch with a version of vr cinema.

SDCowboy

I seriously think VR is going to bomb so hard, it's not even funny. 3D tanked largely when folks didn't want to wear a pair of sunglasses...do they think people will want to strap a device to their face for games, TV and movies? Never mind the huge percentage of folks that can't use it for motion sickness reasons. It's not just practical, at all, in it's current form, if ever. I think VR will have its niche uses, but in terms of broad appeal, no.

saxman717

Banned
I seriously think VR is going to bomb so hard, it's not even funny. 3D tanked largely when folks didn't want to wear a pair of sunglasses...do they think people will want to strap a device to their face for games, TV and movies? Never mind the huge percentage of folks that can't use it for motion sickness reasons. It's not just practical, at all, in it's current form, if ever. I think VR will have its niche uses, but in terms of broad appeal, no.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion ---- I personally look forward to kicking back in my own recliner, popping some fresh popcorn for ~50 cents, shaking up a manhatten, then strapping on the headset and quality headphones and watching movies in my own private movie theatre, or on the surface of the moon if I'm in the mood. And for the movies with good 3D effects, I'll be able to watch with the best 3D effect possible.

SDCowboy

Everyone's entitled to their opinion ---- I personally look forward to kicking back in my own recliner, popping some fresh popcorn for ~50 cents, shaking up a manhatten, then strapping on the headset and quality headphones and watching movies in my own private movie theatre, or on the surface of the moon if I'm in the mood. And for the movies with good 3D effects, I'll be able to watch with the best 3D effect possible.

The part in bold is the main issue. Your average consumer is not going to want to have to gear and up strap their heads in to watch stuff. And have fun eating that popcorn when you can't see the bowl and have to feel around for your food. :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The part in bold is the main issue. Your average consumer is not going to want to have to gear and up strap their heads in to watch stuff. And have fun eating that popcorn when you can't see the bowl and have to feel around for your food. :p

Because that pesky bowl of popcorn keeps getting up and moving

saxman717

Banned

Just wait until a few years down the road when that annoying headset that you have to strap on will get you a prime seat court or fieldside at your favorite sports team's live game, or front row at your favorite band's concert. For now, it will enable the average consumer to enjoy a close-to-being-there movie theatre experience (minus the ridiculously loud surround sound) in the privacy and comfort of their own homes. No more annoying cell phone users, sticky floors, grimy seats etc.

Another perk is being able to pause my on the movie theatre screen anytime I need to go to the bathroom.

There's a see-through mode that can be accessed quickly at any time, that uses the phone's camera to let you come back to the real world. For the popcorn eating challenged, this feature will come in handy

SDCowboy

Because that pesky bowl of popcorn keeps getting up and moving

You're still leaving out the part where most people aren't going to want to gear up and plug their faces in. Wearing a heavy mask and headphones won't be relaxing to most people. If it is to you, great. But you personally don't account for an entire market. Again, I'm sure it will have it's uses, but in terms of getting regular use from the masses, no way.

SDCowboy

Just wait until a few years down the road when that annoying headset that you have to strap on will get you a prime seat court or fieldside at your favorite sports team's live game, or front row at your favorite band's concert. For now, it will enable the average consumer to enjoy a close-to-being-there movie theatre experience (minus the ridiculously loud surround sound) in the privacy and comfort of their own homes. No more annoying cell phone users, sticky floors, grimy seats etc.

Another perk is being able to pause my on the movie theatre screen anytime I need to go to the bathroom.

There's a see-through mode that can be accessed quickly at any time, that uses the phone's camera to let you come back to the real world. For the popcorn eating challenged, this feature will come in handy

All these things can be done on our big screen TVs though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Your average consumer is not going to want to carry around this big old cumbersome phone with a computer in it. All I need is for my phone to be able to talk to people and that's it. These so-called smartphones are just a fad and Apple thinks that consumers will just buy whatever nonsense they put out. Its gonna bomb. Hard.

SDCowboy

Your average consumer is not going to want to carry around this big old cumbersome phone with a computer in it. All I need is for my phone to be able to talk to people and that's it. These so-called smartphones are just a fad and Apple thinks that consumers will just buy whatever nonsense they put out. Its gonna bomb. Hard.

Right because a better phone that's about the same size as a regular one is the same as having to strap into equipment to watch TV. That's a horrible comparison, dude.

saxman717

Banned
All these things can be done on our big screen TVs though.

No, even your $25000 75" HDTV or my $3000 110" projector screen cannot replicate the experience of being in a movie theatre, watching a movie on a theatre-sized screen.

What's more, you can't take your 60" TV with you on a plane when you go on vacation or business travel.

You're still leaving out the part where most people aren't going to want to gear up and plug their faces in. Wearing a heavy mask and headphones won't be relaxing to most people. If it is to you, great. But you personally don't account for an entire market. Again, I'm sure it will have it's uses, but in terms of getting regular use from the masses, no way.

And neither do you.

at first i thought this would have the Note4 screen in it and be available for 200$ complete. But i guess this requires the 700$ phone to go with it?

Kind of defeats the point vs Oculus Rift being the 350$ complete package?

at first i thought this would have the Note4 screen in it and be available for 200$ complete. But i guess this requires the 700$ phone to go with it?

Well, the Oculus Rift isn't also a smartphone, so...

SDCowboy

And neither do you.

You're right, I don't. I'm just speculating based on common sense and past failed tech. Look I'm not saying it's not cool technology and that it won't have it's uses. I just don't see it having broad appeal to the masses for regular use.

saxman717

Banned

This is a whole different animal than the Rift. Rift is a wired solution and meant to be plugged into a high end PC.

Gear VR is meant for wire-free VR, letting you use it anywhere that you can take your phone. It also has a much better display than the current Oculus dev kit.

This is a whole different animal than the Rift. Rift is a wired solution and meant to be plugged into a high end PC.

Gear VR is meant for wire-free VR, letting you use it anywhere that you can take your phone. It also has a much better display than the current Oculus dev kit.

oh yeah i didnt even realize its wireless :D silly me, i just thought it used the Note 4 as the screen but required a PC still to run the stuff.

Average Joe

3d_glasses_01.jpg

I'm not gonna sit in my own house wearing stupid glasses just to watch tv

samsung-unpacked-gear-vr-4_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Omg Day 1

You really think VR in its current giant headgear state isn't going to flop?

Durante

People didn't mind looking silly while playing on the Wii. If an experience is transformative, people will put up with a lot to make it work. 3D TV isn't enticing and different enough from regular media consumption to make most people care. VR, however, is. And then some.

saxman717

Banned
People didn't mind looking silly while playing on the Wii. If an experience is transformative, people will put up with a lot to make it work. 3D TV isn't enticing and different enough from regular media consumption to make most people care. VR, however, is. And then some.

Well said, Durante

SDCowboy

Average Joe

I'm not gonna sit in my own house wearing stupid glasses just to watch tv
Omg Day 1
You really think VR in its current giant headgear state isn't going to flop?

Bingo. 3D died because consumers refused to wear glasses. Your average consumer will never agrre to have to gear up and go full cyborg to watch the local news or some movie.

Bingo. 3D died because consumers refused to wear glasses. Your average consumer will never agrre to have to gear up and go full cyborg to watch the local news or some movie.

3D died because it sucked. Plenty of people were willing to buy TVs and wear the glasses before discovering that for themselves.

Seanspeed

Banned
Right because a better phone that's about the same size as a regular one is the same as having to strap into equipment to watch TV. That's a horrible comparison, dude.
Point is - people will do things that you don't expect them to if there's a decent enough payoff for it.

3D died because it sucked. Plenty of people were willing to buy TVs and wear the glasses before discovering that for themselves.
3D doesn't suck. But its not even close the same level of transformation that VR has on the experience.

SDCowboy

You didn't have to plug yourself in and shut yourself out from the outside world to play the Wii. The Wii also encouraged sociability. This completely shuts it out.

teknix

Neo Member
Does anyone know if you will have to remove your Note 4 phone case to get it to fit in GearVR?

Most people have phone cases to protect such an expensive device. Having to take off the case every time to use GearVR would be cumbersome.

saxman717

Banned
Does anyone know if you will have to remove your Note 4 phone case to get it to fit in GearVR?

Most people have phone cases to protect such an expensive device. Having to take off the case every time to use GearVR would be cumbersome.

I've been wondering about htat too, and figure that you need to take the case off. Yeah, that will be a bit of a pain....

teknix

Neo Member
Here's a reaction to watching a two-hour movie with the Gear VR:

http://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-gear-vr-preview-oculus-cinema-watching-a-2-hour-movie/

This guy has a series of youtube videos about the Gear VR that are well worth watching, if you need convincing.

SDCowboy, check the article above. He watched a 2 hour VR movie in GearVR and said he felt fine afterwards and didn't feel any discomfort during the movie. The only thing was his eyes adjusting to the lights in his studio after sitting in a dark room for 2 hours. Which probably happens to real movie goers as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
We'll have to agree to disagree on 3D. And I know. I have a DK1 and DK2.
Well 3D *can* suck. I've also seen some really great things done with 3D.

But I don't think that 'having to wear glasses' is what stopped 3D from taking off(its not accurate to say it died). Asking people to buy an entirely new $500+ TV that isn't even much different from what they already had but with 3D functionality is what stopped people from jumping on the bandwagon. The payoff for doing so just isn't that great.

VR is quite a different proposition.

3D died because of alot of factors but #1 was a lack of content and the premium price it carriers to this day. Transformers Age of Extinction bluray is $15 on amazon. The 3D bluray is $30. You can't not flop when the price difference is still double almost 5 years after the format was created.

If we're going to use inconvenience as a reason this will bomb, then let's use the movies as an example. Would you rather A) Get in your car, drive thirty minutes to the nearest movie theater, sit in line for 5 - 10 minutes for overpriced food, sit down in a crappy chair in a theater with sticky floors, and have annoying teenagers interrupt the movie constantly, or B) sit down on your lounge chair, have whatever snacks or food you want available, put on a headset and some headphones, and have the same experience with an unrealistically spectacular looking movie theater, that is pristinely clean, filled with people from all around the world, who you can mute at will?

MrJames

Will Android apps work with this or do they need to be Oculus specific? I'd be interested in this if I can watch Netflix and Vudu through it. Since there are no inputs, can it stream video from something like a media server via wifi?

Krejlooc

Banned
You didn't have to plug yourself in and shut yourself out from the outside world to play the Wii. The Wii also encouraged sociability. This completely shuts it out.

You make this comment 25 years ago and people would have laughed at you. Back then, playing video games at all was tantamount to shutting yourself off from the world like an isolated loser. That was the stigma.

Funny how stigmas and preconceived notions change with social acceptance.

People wear huge ass headphones in public, because society doesn't think it's odd anymore. Vr has utility. In 20 years, you'll look back on your comments as mere vanity. Once wearing vr headsets is acceptable, nobody will give a shit about "having to wear a headset."

Top Bottom