• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Rlan

Jan. 26, 2009

You'll find plenty of monsters in your midst this week, courtesy of the Wii™ Shop Channel. A brand new WiiWare™ game invites you to battle an army of deceptively cute creatures, while a classic Virtual Console™ release pits players against ferocious foes and fire-breathing dragons. Think you've got what it takes to defeat these outrageous beasts? Grab a Wii Remote™ controller and get busy.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Niki - Rock 'n' Ball (Bplus, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Are you in love with those unforgettable arcade classics where the only goal is to vanquish all opponents to reach the next stage? Niki - Rock 'n' Ball is a new interpretation of those games with a completely innovative and unique gaming mechanism. Roll along with Niki through fantastic worlds, find all the ZeLeLi pearls, and liberate your village from cuddly-yet-evil monsters before it's too late. Timing is everything. Jump in the nick of time to avoid landing amid barbs. Hop across the stages thanks to the realistic gaming physics. Snap on the ZeLeLi amulet, transform yourself into Niki Rock, and force even the most obstinate monster to its knees. Explore all the stages and win valuable medals while dribbling through them, alone or with a friend. Use familiar controls in Retro style, or experience novel controls in the Wii style.

Virtual Console

Wonder Boy™ in Monster Land™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Alcohol Reference, Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): After the defeat of the evil king, the kingdom of Wonder Land was a paradise…for a time. The peace was broken when a ferocious, fire-breathing dragon struck without warning and took over Wonder Land with a swarm of evil, monstrous henchmen, turning the once-peaceful land into the utterly chaotic Monster Land. Unable to fight, the people now look to Wonder Boy. Realizing that he is Wonder Land's last hope, Wonder Boy sets out on an incredible journey to rid the country of the monsters and defeat the "invincible" evil dragon. Guide Wonder Boy through various environments and dungeons, and defeat enemies using Special Weapons and Spells.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rlan said:
Jan. 26, 2009

You'll find plenty of crap in your midst this week, courtesy of the Wii™ Shop Channel.

Fixed.

Whoa now Monster Land is a cool game. If mainly for the inexplicably huge number of secrets you'll completely miss out on without a guide.

At least we're not getting a game that has been rendered obsolete by its' sequels(this week at least).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Plinko said:

Actually, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is solid and WiiWare-World gave Niki Rock 'n' Ball an 8/10 emphasizing that it's a great buy for 500 points...

... but whatever, it's not whatever AAA game you were waiting for, so complain away.

Jazzem

As a recent newcomer to Monster Land, I highly recommend it. Just remember that you only have one life with no continues, and only the occasional recovery potion :D

Niki's one I've been considering getting for a while now, but I really want to see more reviews before I plunge in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Stumpokapow said:
Actually, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is solid and WiiWare-World gave Niki Rock 'n' Ball an 8/10 emphasizing that it's a great buy for 500 points...

... but whatever, it's not whatever AAA game you were waiting for, so complain away.

My disappointment has nothing to do with AAA titles. I could care less about Smash Bros. (although I never got to play Majora's Mask and would like to).

The disappointment comes from the fact that Nintendo seems set on this 1 VC game a week policy which is garbage when you think about how many systems they have on there.

Neo-geo
Genesis
Master System
NES
SNES
N64

6 systems with packed game catalogs, and they're releasing 1 a week. I get why they do it from a business standpoint (the longer the Wii stays popular, the more games they need to stretch out the service over a longer period of time), but it's disappointing from a fan's point of view.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sweet! Monster Land was always a game that I NEVER saw in the stores and the used shops around us never carried SMS games. Insta-buy.

Capndrake said:
But Hudson isn't releasing any more VC games outside Japan.

If the process was described correctly earlier in this thread (platform holder licenses games from 3rd parties and then does all the grunt work in getting them on the VC), Hudson's NES & SNES titles should still be fair game. Nintendo would have licensed Hudson's NES & SNES offerings lock, stock, and barrel and should be able to tap in to them. Indeed, it might be a good time to start mining those titles if there really won't be any TurboGrafx-16 games for a while. Unless you have some reason to believe that Hudson is going to block Nintendo from releasing their NES & SNES games, Capndrake?

Capndrake

FFantasyFX said:
Unless you have some reason to believe that Hudson is going to block Nintendo from releasing their NES & SNES games, Capndrake?
They told me they have no more plans to publish any games on VC in the foreseeable future to concentrate on WiiWare. That includes all VC platforms.

I totally just want to scream. Like right now in the middle of work at the next person who calls.

Honestly Hudson what gives? All I want is Rondo and Dungeon Explorer 2.

Yeah, not cool, Hudson. You've got customers sitting here waiting to fork over their money, and unutilized assets just sitting there on a disk. If you really don't care about seeing a return on those titles, why not toss them all up at once for whatever they're worth? No need to even have the long wringing out of water.

Adventure Island II-IV, Keith Courage (I know it's licensed), and Rondo say hi.

Capndrake said:
They told me they have no more plans to publish any games on VC in the foreseeable future to concentrate on WiiWare. That includes all VC platforms.

There have already been several Hudson NES titles released - Star Soldier, Adventure Island, Lode Runner. Do you know if Nintendo only got permission for those titles, or Hudson's entire NES & SNES library? Technically, Hudson wouldn't have to raise a finger to see further NES & SNES titles released (as long as what we believe to be true is true :p) So, unless Hudson wasn't happy with their cut on non-TurboGrafx16 releases and/or believed that these titles would eat into the sales of their WiiWare offerings, there wouldn't be any reason not to release them. It's certainly not a question of resources.

Now, I'm not saying that you're wrong (the fact that it's been a long time since we've seen a non-TurboGrafx16 Hudson game would seem to indicate that you're right), but I am trying to get a better handle on the thought process here. If you think any further information would compromise your source, that's fine, but I wanted to throw the above out there as food for thought at the very least.

FFantasyFX said:
There have already been several Hudson NES titles released - Star Soldier, Adventure Island, Lode Runner. Do you know if Nintendo only got permission for those titles, or Hudson's entire NES & SNES library? Technically, Hudson wouldn't have to raise a finger to see further NES & SNES titles released (as long as what we believe to be true is true :p) So, unless Hudson wasn't happy with their cut on non-TurboGrafx16 releases and/or believed that these titles would eat into the sales of their WiiWare offerings, there wouldn't be any reason not to release them. It's certainly not a question of resources.

This sounds much more likely than wanting to protect WiiWare sales. I wouldn't be surprised if publishers reneged on the cut they're getting.

Capndrake

I wish I could answer that, but Hudson tends to not respond if I ask specific stuff about VC. They just emailed out of the blue saying they were dropping VC support outside Japan and that was all.

Ranger X

I've never seen something badly handled by Nintendo like the Virtual Console.

The more time advance, the more we see that it was all flash so we, older gamers, still buy their goddamn console.

Wiiware isn't supposed to have anything to do with the Virtual Console and the later is starting to repulse publishers in favor of Wiiware it's supposed to ring a bell to you. But since Nintendo doesn't care a single bit about VC, you will see this service slowly dying and I bet you that they will announce there's no more updates for VC within the next 2 years.

So here's a totally honest and wellthought opinion from me:

FUCK YOU Nintendo. Deep.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Send it in to Nintendo and they'll transfer all of your downloads (Wii Ware, VC, DLC) Save files and Miis to a new machine.

That's not very convenient, and in my current situation practically impossible (there's no Nintendo where I live, I imported my Wii)... Oh well, I plan on moving to the USA one day, but for now this will lessen my likelihood of buying more VC games.

Ranger X

What great Hudson game wasn't uploaded yet outside SNES/Genny Bomberman games and Super Adventure Island 1 and 2?

Fuck I would have bought both Super Adventure Island. What a fucking shitty news.

jarrod

Banned
Hudson doesn't control their NES or SNES lineups, Nintendo licenses 3rd party catalogs whole hog upfront. So there's still hope for stuff like Hagane, Princess Tomato and the Adventure Islands. Same deal with Hudson's Genesis and NeoGeo lineups potentially, provided Sega and D4 snagged them.

bryehn

Niki - Rock n' Ball is certainly not the most attractive game I've played lately. Looks like a freeware PC game or some of the 99 cent garbage you see on iPhone. Gameplay itself it pretty decent so far.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jeez you people are whiny as hell. The VAST majority of the best games available for the systems on Virtual Console are right there to download, but all you can do is bitch. And when a great game comes out, instead of being like, "Awesome!"you're like "yeah but where is X?"

Like when the thread title was "where is castlevania III" and then it came out and it changed to "where is bloodlines".

If I worked at Nintendo, I wouldn't put out anything, just to spite your whining asses.

Valtor

Banned
For all those saying Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about VC... What should they do? And why is it so special that the service dies after two years? (I don't expect it to happen, but it actually should...) I mean it's not like they said to hudson "you know you'll make more money making wiiware titles instead right?"

And it's not like there is no content on VC either... Anybody has an estimation of how many games are available?

Jiggy

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Blaming NoA sounds like something I can get behind.
I don't see a way around it. Who else but Hudson would toss as much support as they already had behind a release system when Nintendo so refuses to advertise its existence that nobody knows about it short of people on gaming websites? :/

Htown said:
And when a great game comes out, instead of being like, "Awesome!"you're like "yeah but where is X?"
Nah, I do both.
And even if I didn't constantly state somewhere on GAF that I've just bought a VC game every time that I do, I'm pretty sure Nintendo hears my "Awesome!" loud and clear when another $5-10 heads their way. Customers don't have such a blatant outlet to express their criticisms, so we resort to game forums.

Htown said:
Jeez you people are whiny as hell. The VAST majority of the best games available for the systems on Virtual Console are right there to download, but all you can do is bitch. And when a great game comes out, instead of being like, "Awesome!"you're like "yeah but where is X?"

Like when the thread title was "where is castlevania III" and then it came out and it changed to "where is bloodlines".

If I worked at Nintendo, I wouldn't put out anything, just to spite your whining asses.
There are two threads . This is the complaining one. And we all realize that great games are out. Most of us that whine, as you say, are doing so because Nintendo has reduced the frequency of games being put out. We aren't asking for great games every week. We aren't even asking that every game be up. We merely want Nintendo to treat the American service the way they did at the beginning. 1 game a week is a very small amount, especially if you have a game you are looking forward to.

And now that Hudson is pulling support, some of those games will not be offered at all.

jman2050 said:
This is why game companies don't listen to us. Because it's not worth it.
Hell, I can barely even listen to us.

Jiggy

I'll be honest: as much as I hate how Nintendo has been pushing down Virtual Console in favor of the by-and-large-shovelware that makes up the WiiWare library, Hudson is another matter. I actually trust that their focus on WiiWare will result in worthwhile products, which we've already seen to an extent in Alien Crush, Bomberman, Star Soldier R, and an upcoming Adventure Island. (Not that I've played any of the three already-released ones, but most people I've spoken to who have seemed to enjoy them all. I will be getting Adventure Island unless word turns out against it.)

Whether the new stuff will be better than the old stuff, though, I don't know, but I at least count on good WiiWare games coming out of Hudson. The only disappointment is that all they can produce are Hudson-esque titles, but on TG16 they've still got remaining, unreleased titles from other third-parties who made games nothing like any of their own library.

I just hope we get a Neutopia III out of all this.

crowphoenix said:
We merely want Nintendo to treat the American service the way they did at the beginning.
Or like the Japanese service. Obviously they can't release stuff like Famicom Detective Club or any number of untranslated RPGs, but some more import shooters and platformers would be nice on our end without being difficult on theirs. Magical Pop'n, for example--or for another example that's already available on the Japanese VC, Pulseman.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Even if completely dropping VC support was entirely Hudson's idea (and that's a rather big assumption itself), I still blame NOA because it's their shoddy handling and complete lack of advertising for the VC that likely drove Hudson to abandon it in the first place. It's quite frustrating how Nintendo is squandering this potentially amazing service.

Hobbun

Capndrake said:

Well that sucks. So much for Faxanadu and Adventure Island. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, that really sucks... Turbo and Turbo-CD games were one of my main things about the VC... still wanted to play Dragon Slayer bad. :( I don't like the focus on WiiWare very much, since aside from Cubello and MM9, there hasn't been anything appealing to me on that service, I'd much rather Nintendo still focus on the VC.

jarrod

Banned
Since Hudson's dropped VC support before delivering Ys III, I think they should license Oath in Felghana for a full Wii release in return. It's only fair. :D

Actually, the idea of Hudson porting new Falcom Ys games (AoN, OiF, Origin, VII) to Wii seems like a perfect fit. Especially since Falcom's against PSP versions for whatever reason.

You can do all the complaining you want, but please please please, if you're gonna constantly be changing the thread title, lock the first few words into something identifiable (i. e. Official Virtual Console Thread of...). I've had problems finding the thing in the past. It's just too amorphous!

Top Bottom