• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Magic: the Gathering revealed their first trans character today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea is that they're very big for the mana cost you pay. So you play them early to use their abilities, and once you meet their devotion requirement they become creatures you can attack with

I see. That makes more sense now that I think about it. I haven't played magic for years so I'm rusty on game knowledge.

They're still enchantments. You can still use their other abilities when they're not creatures (Like scrying 1 at the beginning of your upkeep). You just can't attack or block with them.

There is also Progenitus, who is kinda a god.

28587.jpg

I completely missed the enchantment part.

Would Progenitus still be vulnerable to things like effects that force you to sacrifice a permanent?

I wonder if there are any cards that are completely immune to all potential methods of removal. It's been a long time and I imagine they've released a lot of sets since I last played so it's possible they may have added something crazy like that.

Very good to know. How's the general Magic community reacting to this? I hope they're more mature and open minded than perhaps the gaming community has been regarding similar issues.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I completely missed the enchantment part.

Would Progenitus still be vulnerable to things like effects that force you to sacrifice a permanent?

I wonder if there are any cards that are completely immune to all potential methods of removal. It's been a long time and I imagine they've released a lot of sets since I last played so it's possible they may have added something crazy like that.

Yeah he's still vulnerable to that and still vulnerable to mass removal like Wrath of God. I don't think they've ever printed anything truly unable to be removed though. Everything is either vulnerable to being removed from the game or being mass destroyed IIRC

Basically nothing survives this:
Image.ashx

Yeah he's still vulnerable to that and still vulnerable to mass removal like Wrath of God. I don't think they've ever printed anything truly unable to be removed though. Everything is either vulnerable to being removed from the game or being mass destroyed IIRC

Image.ashx

I see. If I remember correctly protection from X doesn't affect indiscriminate effects.

I don't plan on getting back into MtG but it's cool to see what they're up to every now and then, if not for the nostalgia trips.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh? I'm not see what makes her transgender here? She dresses like a man to be "among the boys." But from that snippet she chooses a female "warrior name." Can someone points out to me how this makes her transgender?

Huh? I'm not see what makes her transgender here? She dresses like a man to be "among the boys." But from that snippet she chooses a female "warrior name." Can someone points out to me how this makes her transgender?

In the story, Alesha gets insulted by an orc who hasn't earned his war name by being called a boy who pretends to be a woman. It then goes into the flashback segment shown in the opening post.

Anyway, perfect thread for me to post this:
Because I'm bored, I decided to create a post introducing the Magic story for whenever an OT topic is created for details about the presumably still upcoming Magic movie.

The General Story
Welcome to the Multiverse! There exist multiple worlds that exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and each plane is as different as night is from the day. One plane is incredibly tiny, where a leviathan that is far larger than a blue whale on that world is no bigger than an elephant on another. One plane is entirely covered by a single city, which is ruled by ten guilds. Some planes are ruled by the whims of capricious gods. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana, generated from bonds to the land, that can be channeled into powerful magic.

Usually, all of these planes are mutually unaware of each other, but there are some special beings with the unique ability to safely travel between them, known as planeswalkers. They aren't, by nature, any stronger than a typical wizard, but the ability to create mana bonds with land in different worlds and learn spells from all over the Multiverse puts them a step above everyone else.*

You can find several official stories in the world of Magic: the Gathering here.

*= In the past, Planeswalkers were, in fact, significantly stronger than typical wizards by nature, but that has since changed. This will be explained a bit later.

What is Magic: the Gathering, the game?
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a big hit, and after some hurdles, it is currently bigger than it ever has been.

In the standard game, you and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized 60-card decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get his or her opponent down to 0 life, from a start of 20, wins, and your rival Planeswalker flees to fight another day, although there are various alternative ways to triumph.

There are other popular formats, including limited, where you are given a collection of various cards and have to build a 40-card deck then and there before getting to the actual matches; and commander, where everyone has 99-card decks and a separate "commander" card (for a total of 100), with its own set of rules in addition to the normal ones.

For those who want to start out, it is recommended that you check out the Duels of the Planeswalkers video games, which offer tutorials and AI opponents to face, so you can fail in the privacy of your own home. As for the physical game, it indeed can be an expensive hobby (it isn't called "cardboard crack" for nothing), but if you can keep yourself under control and make sure you actually have people you can play your cards with, it should be worth it. There is also a Magic Online application, but let's just say they could really learn a lot from Hearthstone.

The Colors of Magic
colour+pie.png

There are five colors of magic, each of which has mana tied to a different kind of land. Each color has different spells and creatures affiliated with it, but also interestingly, each follows a different philosophy, which I personally find to be one of the most intriguing aspects of Magic: the Gathering. Each color favors two other colors (the ones next to it on the above chart) and has two other colors that it disfavors (the ones across from it).

This tension between colors, known informally as the color pie, can be used to describe a great many conflicts in stories. Some people have even credited the color pie with helping them with their stories, by allowing them to better understand what is motivating their characters and what they are conflicting about. The current head designer of Magic, Mark Rosewater, has written a great deal about the colors. Articles specifically about this from 2008 and before can be found here, and his newer articles on that topic and much more can be found here.

White
whitemana.jpg

White mana is tied with Plains, and is affiliated with order, societies that benefit as many as possible, organized religion, organized armies, helping those in need, and law. Typically, this leaves white as the default good color, but one man's justice can be another's tyranny. White is allied with green and blue, favoring the former's sense of community and desire for everyone to have a place in the world, and the latter's ability to improve the world. White is enemies with black and red, disapproving of the former's amorality and the latter's desire for freedom at any cost. White mana is affiliated with humans (though they appear in every color), cat-humans known as leonin, soldiers, clerics, and angels, among others.

Blue
bluemana.jpg

Blue mana is tied with Islands, and is affiliated with learning, continuous improvement, the belief that everyone starts as a blank slate and can become anything they want to be if they try hard enough, education, trickery, and meritocracies, in addition to elemental associations with the air and sea. Blue is often good or neutral, but its tendency to dick around with those it deems inferior and run experiments regardless of the consequences sometimes places it in a villain role. Blue is allied with white and black, favoring the orderly society of the former, and the focus on individual improvement and lack of restrictions of the latter. Blue is enemies with green and red, disapproving of the former's fatalism and desire to keep the status quo, and the latter's irrationality. Blue mana is affiliated with merfolk, wizards, sea creatures, flying birds, faeries, djinn, and sphinxes, among others.

Black
blackmana.jpg

Black mana is tied with Swamps, and is affiliated with amorality (it doesn't believe in good and evil), focusing on your own needs above everything else, taking advantage of others, death, undeath, social darwinism, capitalism, and self-confidence. As you might expect, black is typically evil, but many anti-heroes are black; black is fully capable of being friendly and even loving (if it's in its own best interest); and black will help save the world if it's the world that black lives in. Black is allied with blue and red, favoring the former's intelligence and ability to ignore morals, and the latter's hatred of rules. Black is enemies with white and green, disapproving of how the former takes an already difficult existence and then proceeds to make it even harder with restrictions and forced morality (though black will gladly take advantage of those adhering to this system), and how the latter doesn't care much for the individual and wants to keep the status quo. Black mana is affiliated with zombies, vampires, assassins, clerics, wizards, and demons.

Red
redmana.jpg

Red mana is tied with Mountains, and is affiliated with listening to your emotions, freedom, rage, loyalty, acting on impulse, trickery, living in the now, passionate love, and artistry (though as an action game, those last two rarely show up on cards), along with elemental associations with fire, stone, and lightning. Red appears equally often as a hero and a villain, covering both the hotheaded hero that fights for friendship and the mindless brute. Red is allied with black and green, favoring the former's lack of restrictions and encouragement to accept who you are, and the latter's belief in acting on your instincts and desire to live and let live. Red is enemies with white and blue, disapproving of the restrictions the former places on everyone, and the latter's tendency to reject emotions and generally be agitating. Red mana is affiliated with goblins, ogres, minotaurs, shamans, warriors, and dragons.

Green
greenmana.jpg

Green mana is tied with Forests, and is affiliated with nature, destiny, the idea that everything has a place in the world, patience, growth, life, instinct, reverence of the past, wisdom, and viewing things in the long term. Of all the colors, this is probably the most difficult to understand as it applies to a sapient individual, but heroes of destiny and their mentors tend to have at least some green in them. Green is allied with white and red, favoring the former's desire to keep the peace and the latter's tendency to listen to its heart. Green is enemies with blue and black, disapproving of how both mess with the world and others on large scales but lack perspective on the long term; but green is the color that most accepts that its enemies have a purpose. Green mana is affiliated with elves, treefolk, beasts in general, shamans, druids, wurms, and hydras.

Ongoing Storylines
Each year of Magic will develop and wrap up storylines set on particular worlds, but there are also larger stories that cover multiple planes.

Nicol Bolas
ur_wk23_303_cardart_cruelultimatum.jpg

Long ago, the Planeswalkers were far more powerful than they are now, being able to create entire planes on their own and living nearly immortal lives. But still, this was not enough for the elder dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas, who strove to achieve true immortality and infinite power. But then came The Mending, where the very nature of the Planeswalker ability was changed and Nicol Bolas suddenly found himself significantly weaker. He was still immensely powerful, but now he was even further away from his goal than before, which agitated him, to say the least. Regardless, he has plans within plans spanning multiple worlds, Planeswalker underlings, the willingness and ability to bring about the destruction of an entire plane just to further one of his plans by a bit, and the patience to let things develop on their own for centuries until the time is right to act.

The Eldrazi
cardart_ulamogtheinfinitegyre.jpg

Before mana even developed distinct colors, the Eldrazi came into existence, born in the gaps between planes. Like Planeswalkers, they are able to travel between worlds, but they devour every one that they come across. There appear to be swarms of Eldrazi, but in fact, there are only three extradimensional ones whose projections into the third dimension appear as distinct beings. Before the Mending, three Planeswalkers were able to seal them into the plane of Zendikar: the vampire Sorin Markov, the kor lithomancer Nahiri, and the spirit dragon Ugin. The Eldrazi laid there dormant for thousands of years, until they were awakened through the machinations of Bolas and are now roaming freely. As Sorin travels to reunite those who once sealed the Eldrazi, other Planeswalkers also travel to warn others and possibly find a way to fight back.

Phyrexia
ur264_5_mls2pwuioz.jpg

Long ago, before the Mending, there existed an evil empire that corrupted everything it touched, called Phyrexia. Over the course of thousands of years, the Planeswalker Urza led the fight against them. He died in the end, but his creation, Karn the silver golem, and the hero Gerrard brought an end to Phyrexia once and for all... or so they thought. After Phyrexia's defeat, Karn became a Planeswalker and created his own plane that came to be known as Mirrodin. What he didn't realize was that he was carrying some of Phyrexia's glistening oil, which he had transferred to Mirrodin in turn, and over the course of centuries, the oil corrupted more and more, merging flesh and metal to create monstrosities to further the infection. By the time the people of Mirrodin noticed what was happening, it was too late. Mirrodin was turned into New Phyrexia. Thankfully, Phyrexians are incapable of becoming Planeswalkers, and Planeswalkers can't be infected by Phyrexia, but there is evidence that Phyrexia is already present on planes other than Mirrodin somehow.

Garruk and Liliana
cardart_ingarrukswake.jpg

Long ago, the Planeswalker necromancer Liliana Vess made a deal with demons on various worlds in order to gain more power, and she got it, but she didn't like the idea of being stuck in deals with such untrustworthy partners. But then, she discovered the Chain Veil, an artifact of great power--enough power to allow her to kill them. Liliana thus set out on a journey to do just that, but the Chain Veil may be costing her more than the demons would have. On the way, Liliana angered another Planeswalker named Garruk, a powerful hunter, and tested the power of the Chain Veil on him when he attacked. The Chain Veil turned Garruk into a mad killer, hunting every other Planeswalker he came across, and right before he started turning into a demon, the corrupting influence of the veil was halted by INSERT PLAYER NAME (this happened in a video game), but he's still not cured.

The Technomancer

Very good to know. How's the general Magic community reacting to this? I hope they're more mature and open minded than perhaps the gaming community has been regarding similar issues.

As far as I can tell very well. But then the Magic community is pretty broad and fragmented, I don't hang out around where people who would have a problem with it do

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Everything in this thread is so cool. The story of that card is great, the fact that Magic has a "hidden" story as a whole is also completely new to me. Damnit WotC, make a cool new Magic Online game that's easy to pick up and allows full Deck creation.

Image.ashx

Let's get into bullshit cards.
Image.ashx

But the closest you get in current standard is a monstrous Fleecemane Lion. Still dies to the one mass exile effect in the format. Or Aetherspouts still gets it. Or SO MANY Drown In Sorrow and Doomwake Giant activations.
Image.ashx

Toxi

Banned
Everything in this thread is so cool. The story of that card is great, the fact that Magic has a "hidden" story as a whole is also completely new to me. Damnit WotC, make a cool new Magic Online game that's easy to pick up and allows full Deck creation.
I think this might be my favorite card from a story perspective.

feldon.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dear, Kotaku posted more about this and the comments are exactly what you'd think they would be for what I saw. At least there are some voices countering the idiots going "token" and "SJW" and whatever the fuck else.

The Technomancer

I think this might be my favorite card from a story perspective.

feldon.jpg

Oh yeah this guy is one of my favorite character designs in years. So slick

Oh dear, Kotaku posted more about this and the comments are exactly what you'd think they would be for what I saw. At least there are some voices countering the idiots going "token" and "SJW" and whatever the fuck else.
Not surprised sadly

Toxi

Banned
Oh dear, Kotaku posted more about this and the comments are exactly what you'd think they would be for what I saw. At least there are some voices countering the idiots going "token" and "skeleton" and whatever the fuck else.
Since it's Kotaku, I get the feeling that most of those commenters don't actually play Magic.

For example...

Haunter said:
Not really much of a trans character just more of a regular woman who's actually wearing reasonable armor. Since the Orc thought she was a he because girl's are mostly mages and priestesses

LOL fucking poser.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Yeah, having warrior women is something that MTG actually does right. It tires to have an equal number of male and female Planeswalkers in standard too.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Cool on Wizards.

But the closest you get in current standard is a monstrous Fleecemane Lion. Still dies to the one mass exile effect in the format. Or Aetherspouts still gets it. Or SO MANY Drown In Sorrow and Doomwake Giant activations.

Wut.

I know it's dual color, but for 2? Yeesh, that's a lotta value.

Feldon is hella cool, also. I always enjoy it when the flavor text actually has some greater significance

Wut.

I know it's dual color, but for 2? Yeesh, that's a lotta value.
To be fair, it's an update on this card, which proved to be not all that great in the end and thus could safely be pushed more to make for an exciting card.
Image.ashx

Anyway, I suppose it would be good to explain the larger story behind the article this topic is about.

The current focus of the Magic storyline is on the world of Tarkir, which is covered in the sets Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged, and the upcoming Dragons of Tarkir. It is a time travel story, with Khans of Tarkir being in the present, Fate Reforged being in the past, and Dragons of Tarkir being in the alternate present. The article this topic is about takes place during the time period of Fate Reforged.

On Tarkir, in the reality of Khans of Tarkir, dragons were wiped out over 1000 years ago by the five clans, but they continued worshiping specific attributes of dragons--the Mardu clan, focused in the article, worship the speed of the dragon and thus focus on swift attacks, and are affiliated with the colors red, white, and black. Alesha is the leader of the Mardu over 1000 years ago, when dragons still existed.

Sarkhan Vol is a planeswalker from Tarkir who especially held high regard for dragons, which brought him into the service of Nicol Bolas (mentioned in my above post). However, he soon started hearing voices, which drove him insane. These voices came from Ugin, one of the planeswalkers who sealed away the Eldrazi (also mentioned above), and eventually brought Sarkhan back to Tarkir, where he came across Ugin's tomb.

Sarkhan's presence at the tomb opened a portal that Ugin set up and sent him back in time, to 1280 years ago. There, he witnessed a battle between Nicol Bolas and Ugin, resulting in Ugin being struck down and all of the other dragons on the plane dying as a result. However, Sarkhan's presence allowed him to place Ugin in a cocoon to recover, and the dragons continued to live on the plane. The resulting paradoxes then erased Sarkhan from reality in that time, and that's all we know right now.

For the record, it has been confirmed that the time rewriting will be limited only to Tarkir. As far as the rest of the multiverse is concerned, someone named Sarkhan Vol left Tarkir at time X and pledged his loyalty to Nicol Bolas, and any planeswalker that went to Tarkir anywhere between 1280 years ago and "now" and left before "now" would have seen Ugin's tomb and no dragons.

Uncharted Realms stories that tie into this:
The Madness of Sarkhan (backstory for Sarkhan)
Enlightenment (optional, introduces Narset)
Victory (optional, shows Zurgo going after Sarkhan)
Journey to the Nexus (Sarkhan going into the portal)
A New Tarkir of Old (Sarkhan arriving in the past and seeing Yasova)
Unwritten (Sarkhan meeting Yasova and learning of Bolas's past plans)
The Reforged Chain (Fight between Bolas and Ugin, Sarkhan helping Ugin, future rewritten)

Some parts are better than others. If this thread is still active tomorrow, I plan on linking Uncharted Realms stories that I liked.

Forkball

Warning: middling quality fantasy writing ahead:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/truth-names-2015-01-28

And yeah, in their reaction to the reception they've made it very clear that this is deliberate

"You could have earned your war name," she said. "Know who you are, and claim it."

Anger twisted the orc's face and he took another step toward her. "You tell me this? A human boy who thinks he's a woman?"

Alesha kept her face impassive as a nearby goblin squeaked and scampered away from her, no doubt anticipating her wrath. Before she could answer the nameless orc, though, the dragon was upon them.

Oh no you didn't, nameless orc.

Trying to talk to a specific Mardu kid is like an Abbott and Costello routine.

To be fair, it seems like the implication is that Mardu who haven't earned their war names only truly went nameless in the past of Fate Reforged. The present-day Mardu of Khans of Tarkir seem to already have names before they earn their war names, as demonstrated by Zurgo's war name being Helmsmasher and not Zurgo. It's a neat bit of cultural change over that time period.

Siegcram

I need to catch up on MtG lore. Checked out when the Mirrodin novels ended.

I assume it's published online only now?

Joni

Good for them and I like the artwork, they do some beautiful cards. It also seems an expensive card. Two whatever those symbols are for one weak monster to return. I don't think I'm smart enough to use that card effectively.

I need to catch up on MtG lore. Checked out when the Mirrodin novels ended.

I assume it's published online only now?

Yes, though that only really started last year. They continued publishing physical novels up through Scars of Mirrodin block, but I hear the last few books were complete rubbish. Then, they went without books at all for Innistrad, just publishing a story article every once in a while, but still not writing the main story events in those articles for whatever reason. They then published e-books for Return to Ravnica and Theros blocks, which I hear were OK, but they didn't sell well. They found that just publishing major story events on their website was far more effective.

Story archive here, though it only goes back so far due to stories previously being published under a different column that only actually published stories every once in a while. The plane groupings isn't that great; there is a reverse chronological list on the bottom, though you have to click to load more of it.

Good for them and I like the artwork, they do some beautiful cards. It also seems an expensive card. Two whatever those symbols are for one weak monster to return. I don't think I'm smart enough to use that card effectively.
Image.ashx

NOTE: No, this card doesn't mean that flying has become a thing in green. It's just a one off thing, and some Magic developers are actually pretty angry that it got printed.

Reishiki

Banned
Despite it's reputation as mediocre fantasy slosh, I've enjoyed the lore of MtG since I started playing during the Alara block.

Now I'll just have to create a WBR deck to field Alesha.

You bring back this:
Image.ashx

Then you get the queen and the four 1/1 Deathtouch Flying tokens she brings with her.

jph139

Despite it's reputation as mediocre fantasy slosh, I've enjoyed the lore of MtG since I started playing during the Alara block.

Now I'll just have to create a WBR deck to field Alesha.

Me too - it reminds me of superhero comics where even if the quality is spotty at best, it's fun to follow along with the continuity and characters.

Cool stuff with Alesha. It helps give some more depth to the Mardu, too, where distinctions like gender would naturally take a backseat to contributions to the clan.

Siegcram

Yes, though that only really started last year. They continued publishing physical novels up through Scars of Mirrodin block, but I hear the last few books were complete rubbish. Then, they went without books at all for Innistrad, just publishing a story article every once in a while, but still not writing the main story events in those articles for whatever reason. They then published e-books for Return to Ravnica and Theros blocks, which I hear were OK, but they didn't sell well. They found that just publishing major story events on their website was far more effective.

Story archive here, though it only goes back so far due to stories previously being published under a different column that only actually published stories every once in a while. The plane groupings isn't that great; there is a reverse chronological list on the bottom, though you have to click to load more of it.
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll look up the books on Amazon, maybe I can pick them up for cheap.

MtG always had cool lore, I hope something substantial comes of the movie license.

Joni

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=383268&type=card
NOTE: No, this card doesn't mean that flying has become a thing in green. It's just a one off thing, and some Magic developers are actually pretty angry that it got printed.

You bring back this:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=383268&type=card
Then you get the queen and the four 1/1 Deathtouch Flying tokens she brings with her.

Oh, cool combination then. I'll remember that for if/when they show up in a Magic video game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So no one would ever be able to tell based on the card, so they have to issue a press release? I mean good on them, but it feels like they're screaming for attention.

A company that sells stuff is trying to get attention? This is new and shocking to me.

ViviOggi

Good stuff.
Killed in action I believe. Urza was basically a god, but he could be slain. And then a few years after that basically all of the fallout from the attempted Phyrexian invasion had the multiverse ripping at the seams, so a bunch of big magic happened to fix things and now planeswalkers are just really powerful mages who can step between worlds instead of literal gods

But the game does have those now too
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Wait that's Gul'dan

Althane

Warning: middling quality fantasy writing ahead:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/truth-names-2015-01-28

And yeah, in their reaction to the reception they've made it very clear that this is deliberate

Can you put that in the first post? Read through the topic (and missed this post), and was wondering how she was trans.

The story is decent, exactly the kind of writing I'd expect of MtG, but at least it wasn't handled badly.

Plus, the card's art is cool, and I love the name.

Oh, this got bumped up. I suppose I'll post that big post I was working on that I decided not to post when this topic wasn't getting much activity.

Like I said I would, I'll post some recent Magic stories I liked. This turned out a lot longer than I intended, so I'll just put a few at the top, then the others will just be recommended for those interested in more.

Ajani, Mentor of Heroes (About a lion-man, or leonin, planeswalker named Ajani coming to the Greek-inspired world of Theros)
Summary of Theros e-book, needed to understand the next story
Ajani's Vengeance (What Ajani does after the events of the e-book)
Kruhpix's Insight (Epilogue to the Theros story)
The Hunter Cannot Pity (Story of a planeswalker from the birth of his powers to his death, ties into the Garruk story)
Monster (Notable for having Garruk beat up Jace, who is simultaneously the most popular and most hated character in Magic)
The First World is the Hardest (Origin story for a villain named Ob Nixilis)

Don't quite remember how good they were, but had positive feelings when skimming over for this post:
In Praise of the Worldsoul, part 2, part 3 (Takes place on Ravnica, a city-world ruled by various guilds; features interactions between Selesnya, Gruul, and Rakdos guilds)
The Seven Bells, part 2 (Takes place on Ravnica, about Izzet mad scientist shenanigans, format is borked from transfer to new site)
Gruul Ingenuity (Takes place on Ravnica, about a Gruul fighter learning new magic, has a preview card)
The Absolution of the Guildpact (Takes place on Ravnica, about Boros guys watching a play about the events of the first Ravnica story, has a preview card, links are borked)
Persistence of Memory (Takes place on Ravnica, about Dimir intrigue)
The Burying, part 2 (Takes place on Ravnica, origin story for Domri Rade, a Gruul planeswalker)
The Guild of Deals (Takes place on Ravnica, about a guy being dicked over by the Orzhov guild)
Expectations (Takes place on Ravnica, semi-sequel to Persistence of Memory, about Azorius and Dimir guilds)
Life in the Ring (Takes place on Ravnica, about the Rakdos guild, notable in that it's one of the few stories where they actually come off as noble)
Preparation (Takes place on Dominaria, I think, which was the main world for early Magic; about Jhoira)
Zurbit's Day (Unknown plane, notable just for the ending involving a cat)

Stories I remember were good:
The Lost Confession (Takes place on New Phyrexia, described in my earlier post; about Elspeth and that place)
The Consequences of Attraction (Takes place on Theros, a Greek myth inspired story involving a woman getting screwed over by a god and turned into a siren)
Building Toward a Dream, part 2 (Takes place on Theros, about an attempt at peace between humans and leonin that goes wrong)
Asphodel (Takes place on Theros, about a girl who encounters the zombie of her father)
Cowardice of the Hero (Takes place on Theros, about a man and the step-father he hates, the latter of whom ends up dying, has a preview card)
Emonberry Red (Takes place on Theros, notable for being about a gay male romance, though it's a Greek tragedy)
Kiora's Followers (Takes place on Theros, about Kiora arriving and messing around)
Dreams of the City (Takes place on Theros, sequel to Building Toward a Dream)
Nissa, Worldwaker (Takes place on Zendikar, about Nissa fighting Eldrazi, has a preview card)
Comin' Through (Just a cute comedic story about a goblin delivering soup during a battle, though it may test your tolerance for references to specific cards)
The Lithomancer (Takes place on Zendikar in the far past, about the sealing of the Eldrazi, has a preview card)
Sorin's Revelation (Takes place on Tarkir, about Sorin investigating the plane, has a preview card)

sega4ever

i thought xantcha was the first trans character since it identified as a woman, or had the soul of one in an item. i haven't read the book she was in in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom