• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that Should Have Been Legends but Fell into Obscurity (Read OP)

Vgamer

5176E8SPDZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Skies of Arcadia!

One of the best games on Dreamcast and one of the RPG's that I had the most fun playing! Sure there was the re-release on GC but other than that nothing more. For awhile there were rumors a sequel was in the works but nothing ever materialized.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
soldat7 said:
Planescape: Torment? No, it's not. Nobody but GAF posters and game writers know of this game. It was an absolute sales bomb.

Really. Cause recent interviews with Avellone say it was profitable.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So many people don't understand the topic...

Heck, the guy in post 101 didn't even read the OP. It gives Skies of Arcadea as an example of a game NOT to list.

firex

ZealousD said:
2h5lbo5.jpg

It plays better and is paced better than Sands of Time, and it gets rid of the emo Godsmack of Warrior Within, but people lump it with Warrior Within anyway. I bet that most of the people that say "omg the sequels to sands of time suxed" never actually played the game.
Actually, I was liking this one until it had a game-ending retarded bug on the PC version I could never get past, and Ubi in their infinite laziness didn't do shit to fix it.

Colocho

Banned
ZealousD said:
2h5lbo5.jpg

It plays better and is paced better than Sands of Time, and it gets rid of the emo Godsmack of Warrior Within, but people lump it with Warrior Within anyway. I bet that most of the people that say "omg the sequels to sands of time suxed" never actually played the game.
I feel the exact same way, sure, while Two Thrones did not blow my mind away the same way that Sands of Time did, it is overall, the best in the trilogy and no one seems to acknowledge the game even exists.

purg3

slept with Malkin
pakkit said:
Unsurprisingly, this thread houses some of my favorite games of all time...

Anachronox, No One Lives Forever, Beyond Good & Evil

MDK2_Packshot.jpeg

The greatest action shooter, and one of the only games BioWare has ever made that was not an RPG. The level design was out of this world, literally, featuring breath-taking alien structures that made the desire to see each level enough to push you forward.

Furthermore, it took Shiny's great gem and expanded on it, making Doctor and Max (the dog) playable as well as Kurt. Kurt was still the mainstay, with his unique gliding abilities and sniper scope, but Max was fun as a balls-out shooter, and Doctor, as a puzzle-platformer, had some of the most unique levels within the game. It had a great, purposely juvenile sense of humor that brought about unique alien designs, funny characters, and some of the most ridiculous dialogue set to script.

Finally, it had the greatest boss designs in a game, ever. Each boss was strong in design, and even stronger in force. The only games I've played where the boss designs have rivaled this game were No More Heroes and Shadow of the Colossus. This game was technically short (took about 8 hours to beat), but took me about a 6 months of consistently playing it to beat it (replaying older levels just because they were so well designed). MDK2 also was one of the first games besides perhaps Comix Zone, to perfectly capture the ink feel. The intro is still etched in my memory, and BioWare's attention to detail when it comes to presentation has continued to this day.

This is one of the games that gets overlooked in BioWare's portfolio, and I think its a damn shame. It shows that they're very capable of branching out, and illustrates how some of their more recent endeavors have been able to balance action and RPGing so effortlessly.

mdk2_b2_790screen003.jpg

mdk2_b2_790screen007.jpg

mdk2_b2_790screen019.jpg

Came to post this. One of my favorite games ever. This game was such a bitch, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I also agree with the NOLF posts, game had such character and style to it. I would kill for another one.

bengraven said:
I think Psychonauts should have been a huge game and brought in a lot of children viewers: maybe they should have done the Viva thing and put out an animated series on Nick a few months before it came out. It was MADE for a Nickelodeon show.

But my big contribution:

medievil160.jpg

I'm not lying when I say I would own a PS3 if MediEvil had been a franchise. A game every two years from Sony would have sealed the deal.

The music is some of the best I've ever heard in a game and while the camera had flaws, the gameplay gimmicks were mostly a ton of fun. What really set it apart was atmosphere of course and some of the best voice acting I have ever heard.

I really need to get it off PSN for my PSP.

I agree with you on Psychonauts. It truly felt like a Nickelodeon program. Medievil was a great game (although, I didn't really care for the sequel), but I would love to see a PS3 game.

t3nmilez

AlternativeUlster said:
I wish they made River City Ransom into a franchise like Double Dragon instead of just being one legendary game. I think a River City Ransom MMO would be the only MMO that I would actually play despite my horrible fears of playing games online.

River City Ransom is actually part of a series that used to be very popular in Japan called Kunio-kun. There were some games that were reskinned during localization, several more beat-em-ups that never got released, and some sports games that did get released overseas but with no reference to the series.

Dirtbag

thought of two more

256px-Base_Wars_cover.jpg

So much strategy, robust game.
Wonder how much of my memory is rose-tinted though. Had a blast building a team and playing against my cousin, whom also got really into it.

167-1.jpg

master15 said:
I remember, like you said, that game coming out right around the same time as Donkey Kong 64, for Christmas I asked for both of them... mostly anticipating DK64 but boy, was I surprised when Jet Force Gemini ruled in comparison. The game felt massive at the time, and I felt a great deal of accomplishment beating it and then going back and saving all the little furry white ewok things - never beat Donkey Kong 64, stopped after unlocking the last character.

SDZeta said:
Shadow_Hearts_Covenant_ps2.jpg

A great series that is now dead.

: (

ivysaur12 said:
Shadow_Hearts_ps2.jpg

An unbelievable gothic RPG that is a fun take on history. The characters besides Yuri, Alice, and Margarette aren't so hot, but the actual plot is really good. Plus, the mood and setting is just fantastic. It had sequels, but they seemed more humorous and light than macabre.

http://www.metal-forever.it/forum/imagehost/1/cover/8f0a5726d6fcfb7730c483de8c5661ba.jpg[IMG]

A great puzzler with some really neat ideas of "crushing" the world in 2D planes and then uncrunching them. Shame it never caught on.

[IMG]http://gamecube.gaming-universe.de/screens/boxart_us_baten-kaitos-origins.jpg[IMG]

One of the best RPGs released last gen. Nintendo should have had it at launch for the Wii. Idiots.[/QUOTE]

We need more horror RPGs. And yes, that was idiotic of Nintendo.

The OP nailed some of the best examples.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
soldat7 said:
Planescape: Torment? No, it's not. Nobody but GAF posters and game writers know of this game. It was an absolute sales bomb.

No, almost anyone familiar with PC rpg's knows of this, or it's consolized remake; KOTOR2
yeah I went there

Pepboy

Top Shop

boardgame_topshop_cover.jpg

boardgame_topshop_b.jpg

boardgame_topshop_a.jpg

Great video-boardgame. Kind of a bit like monopoly but instead you buy stores, and get to choose what to stock them with. But if someone lands on your spot and is able to clear your store's inventory, they are given the opportunity to buy the shop. I've had a lot of fun with this one and it's cheap (5-6 dollars on ebay).

soldat7 said:

Sales bomb? The game sold around a quarter million copies. And again the game is widely recongnized amongst the gaming community. I could understand possibly say "Icewind Dale" but "Planescape" it's up there with "Day of the Tentacle" and "System Shock II". And again if you read the OP I specifically state that games that don't get their share of love at all in the gaming community. And Planescape is anything but that.

CO_Andy said:

Seriously? This game was the fighting game king in the gaming community and fighting game community until this year.

master15

Houston3000 said:
I remember, like you said, that game coming out right around the same time as Donkey Kong 64, for Christmas I asked for both of them... mostly anticipating DK64 but boy, was I surprised when Jet Force Gemini ruled in comparison.

Yeah I really could not believe how shoddy Donkey Kong 64 felt in comparison, everything from the floaty controls, some drab level design to all that collecting. Safe to say it had its part in killing the traditional platformer.

As you can tell I am a huge Jet Force fan however the fact they made the Ewoks a compulsory item so late in the game and having to go back and save all the remaining little buggers was indeed a chore. Probably one of the cruelest fetch-quests designed I can recall in recent memory, no matter how many times I could listen to the soundtrack of Rith Essa and other levels.

Thankfully Rare made partial amends with a bloody final boss battle with Mizar which was fantastic :D

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes

Forkball

1080-snowboarding.518479.jpg

Ok, this game sold over a million copies and was insanely popular when it came out, but now this series is completely ignored. It was one of the most accessible racing games, and the other modes were addicting and complex. Did anyone seriously do a 1080 in the game? It had a sequel, but I'm not sure how well it sold and no one talks about the series anymore at all.

chuchu.jpg

Anyone who played this game instantly fell in love with it. It did get a second chance on the GBA, but the series is dead. This game has a cool art style and a simple yet deep premise. This is one of those puzzle games that you'd expect to be on the DS, iPhone, cell phones etc. This game is a million times better than Diner Dash will ever be.

326a_32.JPG

Here is your old school Uncharted. Except in this game you deal more with the treacherous terrain and hungry predators. It's a great platformer that's also challenging, perhaps too challenging at times. The graphics are also fantastic for the Genesis. The Atari game is iconic, but the 3D versions killed the franchise, which is a shame.

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

I'm not sure why video game trading card games never took off. I think the Yugioh series is a bit popular, but that wouldn't be anywhere without the Pokemon TCG and the video game. This game should have kicked off the TCG video game genre, but there weren't that many imitators. Nintendo hasn't even continued the series, which is pretty strange considering they could've made another TCG game every generation and it would've sold like crazy.

Cartman86

Banned
As Conker was already mentioned I will go with a "modern classic" in my eyes.

thedarkness.jpg

Really anything Starbreeze does is amazing. They focus on the little things, and create a tight roller coaster ride of a game. I mean sitting down and watching "To Kill A Mocking Bird" with your girlfriend? And of course there is "THE SCENE" behind the door. Oh god was that amazing. And dare I say it has one of the most well told stories in any game ever. For the quality of both The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick they sell very little and are forgotten even more (despite positive press). Starbreeze and Valve are the two companies that really know how to do top level first person gaming. An amazing mixture of storytelling, gameplay, and technology. I love em and I wish others would as well.

master15

Forkball said:

Pretty good call here. The original was totally addictive to my friends and I and we spent a huge amount of time mastering the single player courses and trying to top our scores on the half-pipe.

Technically it was very impressive at the time but as you said even though at excellent mechanics and success initially was a title ignored far too long into the Gamecube cycle with a rather disappointing sequel. By then the likes of SSX was big business and even Amped seemed more proficient. Some may argue Waverace went the same way, even though I will defend Bluestorm to it's grave.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
To the OP, that Snatchers game looks like an epic game. I just watched its ending on youtube and it seems like it has a very interesting storyline. Too bad I watched the ending now so I probably won't play the game :lol

t3nmilez said:
River City Ransom is actually part of a series that used to be very popular in Japan called Kunio-kun. There were some games that were reskinned during localization, several more beat-em-ups that never got released, and some sports games that did get released overseas but with no reference to the series.
I assume you're referring to Nintendo World Cup and Super Dodge Ball...

bwahhhhh

djtiesto said:
First game that came to mind: METAL STORM for NES

THIS. would have never ever known/heard about it had my friend not gotten it for Christmas one year, his parents bought it for him because the cover "looked cool".

I played the hell out of it, one of my favorite 8-bit games ever. Graphics, music, gameplay, amazing.

andymcc

Banned
NetMapel said:
To the OP, that Snatchers game looks like an epic game. I just watched its ending on youtube and it seems like it has a very interesting storyline. Too bad I watched the ending now so I probably won't play the game :lol

play SD Snatcher. : )

Grayman

polyh3dron said:
I assume you're referring to Nintendo World Cup and Super Dodge Ball...
I think there was a hockey game as well, unless another company made one that was coincidentally similar

Grayman

Asheron's Call, the number 3 of the Big 3 MMOs way back when. This game was very close to a sandbox experience. The world was gigantic and open to exploration, at any point of the level curve there would be countless level appropriate places to go.

Combat was very hands on and active, projectiles actually had to hit to do damage while players could strafe around relatively freely. Breaking the spell casting animations let people slide around while fighting and gave the game lots of longevity.

Loot had many random permutations making no item exactly the same and something good could be on any monster or in any chest. There were better places to get certain items but the idea was that you could find something awesome under the pile of 10 monsters you killed instead of it being dolled out by a long quest.

Monthly free content updates with very substantial content. Whole islands, story arcs of quests, and major game mechanics were added over the years.

One server to rule them all? Although the game had a few servers(around 10 by now) there was only one where all characters were always in player killer status. Darktide actually has a story and history because of that. No other game but Eve Online can really claim that to date.

Zhuk

Banned
ss4.jpg

Constructor on PC.

This game was absolutely awesome, definitely a classic but a very obscure one nonetheless

soldat7

OP said:
Basically when people list games that are recognizable to the community such as: Castlevania, Metroid, Megaman, Valkryie Profile, Disgaea, Gunstar Heroes, Little Big Planet, King of Fighters, Garou, Contra, Nights, etc., these games have every right to be on the list but for some reason failed not due to quality but to other reasons (marketing, wrong platform, etc.)

Sounds like Planescape: Torment.

master15 said:
Pretty good call here. The original was totally addictive to my friends and I and we spent a huge amount of time mastering the single player courses and trying to top our scores on the half-pipe.
Strange to see any 1080 love at all. Pretty much the same story here except we would try and beat the course time records. We played the shit out of that game.
@Forkball, yeah I did a 1080 once and only once. You had to do every trick/move as I recall to unlock this penguin racer that was the best in the game. Took me quite a while to finally pull it off.

HiResDes

Darklord said:
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

Bad press coverage and pathetic marketing from EA as well as having troubles after being dumped by Microsoft. Great game, reviewed well, sold horribly. It killed Oddworld...almost.

YES YES YES!, this game was truly under appreciated

HiResDes

Liara T'Soni said:
Came to post.

Max was such a badass in this..."Sneaky thing...GOT THE DROP ON ME"

What happened to the franchise?
Yes MDK2 was the shiznit, I'm still hyped to have a copy for the DC

soldat7 said:
Sounds like Planescape: Torment.

If you honestly think that Planescape: Torment is mentioned less then Gunstar Heroes, Garou, and Nights then you need to browser the gaming community more, specifically the PC community.

HiResDes said:
YES YES YES!, this game was truly under appreciated

I remember that I didn't even know about the game until I saw a review of it on TV. :\

Anyway damn I'm playing Martial Masters again and it's such a great game. The graphics, animation, intuitive controls, character variety, and overall gameplay. Truly one of the best fighting games since the turn of the millennium.

camineet

Banned
Mr Killemgood said:
Herzog F'in Zwei

Created the RTS genre. Never got a sequel once it had the RTS formula down. If I ever get the $$$, I am finding whomever holds the IP, and buying it from them.

Herzog Zwei is the best game of the 16-bit era, bar none. It's a Fucking shame it never got a sequel/remake/update, etc.

Top Bottom