• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 on Nintendo Switch Doesn’t Include All Games on the Cart

Draugoth

Gold Member
share_img.png

Now Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 is out, players are learning more about what is — and isn’t, on the disc. And in the case of the Nintendo Switch version of the hotly anticipated collection, fans have realised not all the games are on the cartridge.

According to redditor Scars1023, the Nintendo Switch cart includes the following games only:

• Metal Gear (MSX)
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
  • Metal Gear (NES)
  • Snake's Revenge
That means Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 must be downloaded. The back of the Nintendo Switch box confirms the game requires a download of at least 32GB, and a microSD card is required. Konami's website offers more detail

Last edited:

tkscz

I thought the default card size was 32GBs. Those three games don't even take up an entire SNES cart. How did Konami even do that?

Sojiro

This wouldn’t be so bad if we weren’t forced to buy it.
Man you must be exhausted running into all of these threads defending poor old Konami on this. Please explain why it's unacceptable in your eyes to expect the physical copy of the game to actually have all of the games on it? I was excited as shit for this collection when it was announced in the last Nintendo direct, but now I won't touch it until it's heavily discounted. The MGS trilogy are some of the best games ever, don't you think it's disappointing to have all these concessions we have to accept to have them in a collection?

Same ol G

They probably used a 2gb cart.
Ridiculous, i was excited at first but this is a hard pass.
If they made you download the last game i could understand but they litterally went for the cheapest option possible, this is almost as bad as a code in a box.

Mowcno

I thought the default card size was 32GBs. Those three games don't even take up an entire SNES cart. How did Konami even do that?
They come in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB capacities. Third party publishers often try and get the smallest possible cartridge size to save money and increase profit margins on switch games. Which is why a lot of cartridges from third parties have mandatory downloads for physical games.

Konami most likely only shelling out for 1GB cartridges here and making the consumer download the rest. Pretty awful stuff.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not gonna lie playing metal gear solid on a switch sounds fun in every aspect, I loved the originals on ps1, 2, and 3.

Codes 208

I guess im just used to modern hd consoles having to download an extra 50-100gb’s because this is a non-issue to me.

It seems switch cartridges come in all sizes ranging from 1gb to 64gb. So one could assume Konami decided offering mgs1, 2 and 3 was cheaper with digital download that paying the manufacturing cost of, what, 64gb?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It would have been a noble part of konami to include 2 cartridges. Like the metal gear Playstation game...

We would all be happy.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not exactly the same but it reminds me of when I bought a brand new copy of MGS Collection for PS3.

I went home to fire up MGS1 but you had to download it and you needed to put the code from the insert. I thought no worries I just bought this game. Turns out the code had an expiration date and it was expired. Nothing I could do.

So I just downloaded it and played it on my PC @ 1080p on an emulator.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Funny how both mgs2 and 3 are on the PSVita cart though. Like, how in hell it couldn't make it on the newer switch cart?!

Tams

I could understand not wanting to 'shell out' on higher capacity cards for a new game, but this is essentially a collector's edition.

Only really people who are really into MGS are going to get this, and they would be willing to pay more for it all in one damn card (not that Konami really need the tiny amount of extra profit they'll get from it).

Fuck Konami.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I’m glad I went all digital this gen. No more fomo from limited physical releases to stuff like this randomly popping up all the time to waiting for a disc I bought to “copy” and then download a huge day one patch.

Life is much easier.

Man you must be exhausted running into all of these threads defending poor old Konami on this. Please explain why it's unacceptable in your eyes to expect the physical copy of the game to actually have all of the games on it? I was excited as shit for this collection when it was announced in the last Nintendo direct, but now I won't touch it until it's heavily discounted. The MGS trilogy are some of the best games ever, don't you think it's disappointing to have all these concessions we have to accept to have them in a collection?
Not him but it’s not surprising. Lots of games on PS5/XBSX don’t even have the full game on the cart so why would people expect a Switch game to? Sure they are old games and aren’t huge but I think we’ve all seen that the games take up more space then you would think and Nintendos cart prices are stupid.

You are buying games on a console that uses proprietary storage for games and storage that supposedly get quite expensive the higher it goes.

Also this is in no way a defense of Konami because this whole collection is a cheap cash grab anyways.

You also don’t have to accept it and absolutely should wait for a sale.

I bought MGS3 separately because it’s in my top 5 of all time and I don’t think 1/2 have held up nearly as well. I’ll wait for the other 2 to go on sale.

Tams

You are buying games on a console that uses proprietary storage for games and storage that supposedly get quite expensive the higher it goes

Game card prices aren't publicly stated and it seems they are included in licencing bundle. It does seem it came to too much with 32GB cards some years ago, but CDPR released the Witcher 3 on a 32GB card and I can't imagine they would accept being ripped off for over a third of the total game price.

Plus, Konami are big enough to be able to come to some sort of deal with Nintendo.

Top Bottom