• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

This game is pissing me off. I keep running out of power which is totally destroying my city. I've put power plants on a clear, non-traffic heavy road directly from the outside and yet I keep running out of fuel. I'm literally following cars coming into the city and making it to the power plant, but they can't get fuel. What the fuck? It's totally ruining my enjoyment. The game seems awesome but sometimes your shit breaks and there is no hint what so ever as to how to fix it. Just so frustrating.

And while I'm complaining, hearses and garbage trucks seem to be messed up as well. Landfills directly next to industrial zones complaining they have overflowing garbage.

I used to get eletricity from fuel, then I started using solar energy and never looked back.

br3wnor

This game is pissing me off. I keep running out of power which is totally destroying my city. I've put power plants on a clear, non-traffic heavy road directly from the outside and yet I keep running out of fuel. I'm literally following cars coming into the city and making it to the power plant, but they can't get fuel. What the fuck? It's totally ruining my enjoyment. The game seems awesome but sometimes your shit breaks and there is no hint what so ever as to how to fix it. Just so frustrating.

And while I'm complaining, hearses and garbage trucks seem to be messed up as well. Landfills directly next to industrial zones complaining they have overflowing garbage.

Have you tried wind power? I've only used oil and coal plants and don't remember fuel being a component, just had them connected to my city with powerlines and didn't run into problems. Now I use mostly wind power

Jibbed

...the power can reach the city, right? It's connected via lines or near enough?

That's the only conceivable way that could be happening.

Shahadan

I don't understand his post. What fuel? Is he talking about the oil power plant? Shouldn't that be built on an oil deposit? (which is not eternal)

What fuel?

I never used a power plant, try just using a wind farm. As for your landfills, if they're overflowing with garbage they're probably full. You have to manually empty them (or get a mod to do it automatically).

Coal power plants. Trucks deliver fuel (coal) along roads to the power plant. I've seen it happen and I've never once done any sort of industry specialization, meaning I've never once produced coal, to my knowledge. The year is 2039 so I've been playing for some time and had no issues with a power plant dying within a minute of putting it down on speed 3.

Shahadan

A coal power plant. I thought if you do not produce coal then coal trucks come from outside the city to supply the plants with coal. I've seen trucks deliver coal to plants before. I've never once used an industry specialization. The year is 2039 and I just started having problems.

So start using specialization? Importing coal, especially only by road, isn't going to cut it forever.
Hell, coal plants by 2039 seem like a horribly inefficient idea to me

So start using specialization? Importing coal, especially only by road, isn't going to cut it forever.
Hell, coal plants by 2039 seem like a horribly inefficient idea to me

It works fine for my city, I don't care if it's inefficient. What I care about is to get feedback as to why coal trucks have completely disappeared. If the game had said "hey its 2039 and coal dried up" that would be one thing. Instead I'm getting nothing.

It works fine for my city, I don't care if it's inefficient. What I care about is to get feedback as to why coal trucks have completely disappeared. If the game had said "hey its 2039 and coal dried up" that would be one thing.

You are getting feedback -- your power is cutting out. Your city obviously needs more power now than coal alone can provide given that it's tier 1 power generation. Time to upgrade. It's not like the game would say "Sorry, it's not windy any more" if you were using wind turbines. You just have to keep an eye on power demand and adapt/upgrade.

fritolay

I have found people are not healthy due to water pollution. I put down water towers by them red buildings on a pipeline and they are healthy

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woot, I just hit 75K population and unlocked the rest of the map thanks to the 25 square mod! So since I'm rolling in $5 million plus I quickly bought the rest of the map:

aNK5rHL.jpg

Holy Shit. Look...at...all of ....that.....rrroooommmmmmmm.....

I've got a lot of building to do.....

Shahadan

It works fine for my city, I don't care if it's inefficient. What I care about is to get feedback as to why coal trucks have completely disappeared. If the game had said "hey its 2039 and coal dried up" that would be one thing. Instead I'm getting nothing.

...how can you not link a city expanding and power running out with the fact that you should adapt the way you're providing power?

I mean, when you use wind turbiines and there are black outs, you just add more turbines.
If the coal import supply for your plants isn't enough anymore, you have to do something. Except that since it's fuel dependent, plopping more plants isn't going to do shit. Game isn't going to magically provide you with fuel.

Either you start producing coal yourself to sustain your expanding city (or use trains or boats to import in larger quantities I guess) or you just have to say goodbye to coal and start using something more powerful

Ayt

Banned
I really burnt out on this game quickly. Once you realize how everything works, it's just not as fun imo.

People being transported instantly to work really breaks the game.

People don't teleport to their jobs though they do get teleported back home if they can't complete their journey after a specified amount of time. Given the massive traffic jams you can create, the solution they came up with seems like a very reasonable compromise.

Anyway, you can "fix" the game by using a mod that stops the teleportation. The head dev of the game has actually recommended this mod for people like you on the Skylines forum.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...&actualsort=trend&browsesort=trend&p=1&days=7

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does anyone know the fix for the asset icon thing? Making local assets via the editor gives me the placeholder image.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does anyone know the fix for the asset icon thing? Making local assets via the editor gives me the placeholder image.

I think the intersection asset thing is broke.

You can take a snapshot, and it will show in the save menu, and when you hover over the item in the menu while playing. But the placeholder icon still shows.

I have yet to see one without a placehold icon.

Pandemic

Hmmm, anyone know why the demand for commercial has stopped? There is hardly any demand for it, but demand for homes and industry/offices continues to increase. Someone mentioned it was because of a bug with parks?

Hmmm, anyone know why the demand for commercial has stopped? There is hardly any demand for it, but demand for homes and industry/offices continues to increase. Someone mentioned it was because of a bug with parks?

Correct. It has to do with the tourism generated by parks or something like that.

Hopefully the devs patch it ASAP.

MotherFan

Ok, I just picked this up. I started a new city and picked my map but how do I pick what area I want my city in? I want my city by the coast but my area is in the middle of the map.

Ayt

Banned

For whatever reason, the capacity of parks and landmarks was being factored into commercial demand (this is separate from tourism). CO is aware of the issue so we'll likely see an official fix whenever the first patch comes out.

This mod fixes the issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409068574&searchtext=

Giever

Does anyone know how to get a crime rate of 50% or higher? I keep gerting stuck at 35% max before it decreases. :/

Try making your city an absolute shithole, but not so much of a shithole that everything becomes abandoned. I also found that commercial zones get crime-ridden quite easily.

It still took me awhile, though, and I basically did it from a fresh city intending to get all of the negative unlocks/achievements.

Low education, no police coverage, no leisure or land value, etc. Probably best to keep some fire stations, garbage dumps, medical things and such around, though. At first I tried to just make it as awful as possible. Was feeding everyone polluted water, and they were all just too sick to resort to any crime, I think, lol.

whyman

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Corgi

Banned
hmmm... this 1 way zigzag commercial zone made more sense in my head...

kixwpa.jpg

Doesn't seem to work that well for a commercial area, works decently enough for my offices though because of less traffic... shit.

services also have a hard time getting in there.

MihowZa

Banned
My 55k city is an absolute wreck

Think I am ready to start over again with proper medical / cemetery / landfill usage

I put two medic places up and the ambulances bypasses the sick people and went to another area of the map completely. Gotta plan ahead better.

Doesn't seem to work that well for a commercial area, works decently enough for my offices though because of less traffic... shit.

You should just upgrade all your roads to two way roads, you might lose a few buildings but at least the traffic won't be a mess.

Here's my crappy city, I've made good money, and I finally got my pollution problem solved (by moving all my bad stuff to the left side of the map across the river), everyone's happy but infastructure is a mess, I can't do much with it at this point, so I'm thinking of starting a new city. Reorganizing my landfills was the worst part, I regrettably put them and my industrial section way to close to my city resulting in terrible pollution.

manfestival

I have a feeling I am doing way more work than I should be on making my city... are you able to actually connect your sewage and drinking water pipes? also is there a more efficient way to distribute electricity to a city? I hate having to give up space for the huge power towers

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have a feeling I am doing way more work than I should be on making my city... are you able to actually connect your sewage and drinking water pipes? also is there a more efficient way to distribute electricity to a city? I hate having to give up space for the huge power towers

Sewer and water lines are shared.

For power lines, all you need to do is make sure the colored areas when the power overlay is up are connected to your power plants. As your city grows, you can demolish any excess power lines that end up overlapping and becoming redundant.

My 3rd city where I actually tried to think everything through

Gonna start working on a good Metro system cause the density is starting to kill my buses and traffic in general. Then I'm gonna focus on expanding West

So I've got a bit of an odd question.

The guy who made the Dynamic Res mod has the source code up for people to see and I figured I might as well try and grab an older version that didn't make sub-100% resolution scaling look like ass.

Problem is, I'm getting errors:

If anyone here is doing some modding of their own in C:S and has an idea of why I'm getting these errors, help would be much appreciated. For now, I'll keep playing on 720p :|

r1chard

I made the challenge thread. You have a week. You can win a 30 dollar steam game!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156216202

Awesome idea. I'm nowhere near being able to compete yet though ;)

Hmm. I wonder whether this sort of idea could be made into a mod somehow? That is, reach a certain export amount by year 50 (with easy, medium, hard and impossible challenge levels). The mod could probably even enforce the building restrictions.

Jintor

Talk me through Metro Design. I have a loop running from fairly spread out (usually about one tile-length distance) locations but I'm running about 120-140 passgengers weekly, which isn't exactly bad but a little less than I'd expect. Does the route query tool work on my stations? Is there any way to see when my metro is running?

My bus network is regularly pushing at least 1000 passengers weekly (feeder systems ftw)

r1chard

kixwpa.jpg

I had something similar. Until a lot of it burned down :)

Grief.exe

Guarantee your traffic is fucked.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
All of the assests I subscribe to should just show up in game without me doing anything special, right? Like, all of the new residential etc building will just zone in?

jiiikoo

Banned
All of the assests I subscribe to should just show up in game without me doing anything special, right? Like, all of the new residential etc building will just zone in?

I believe so. But you should check they are set to "On" instead of "Off" in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom