• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q3: 1.6M 360+XBO Shipped

Real gamers own all consoles!

Can't trust someone who only owns one. Makes me question their gaming credentials and if they actually care about gaming.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or if youre serious, but real gamers love games, no matter how many boxes they own. I also only have an xbox one and Ive been a pretty hard core gamer since the snes days. Not everyone can afford to have more than one expensive box, so if you're goal was to make a fellow gamer feel bad about that then you need to re think why you play games.

Elios83

You know MGSV, Batman and BF are coming to X1 right?

Destiny still sold better on X1 despite marketing deal with Sony.

The fact they're coming to X1 as well doesn't really mean anything.
MGSV is traditionally a series associated to Playstation like Final Fantasy, the game will sell the most on PS4, it won't even run very well on the X1 because of the Fox Engine (sales split will likely be 65:35 or higher in PS4 favour), they will have exclusive bundles, it will push PS4 hardware sales not XB1s.
Destiny did not sell better on X1 (at least not on launch month), it sold better without counting those exclusive bundles that pushed PS4 hardware sales giving PS4 a big victory last September (225k or 250k over X1? I don't remember).
Batman and Star Wars...same story there will be bundles and will be positioned as the next must have games for PS4 by the exclusive marketing. The seventh Star Wars movie will create a lot of hype and buzz around that bundles.

The point is simply that Sony is handling their marketing partnership way way better than MS and they're doing all the right moves so far.
MS....well they have just lost exclusivity of COD rights after what...10 years?

Long term avatar bets are so strange.

Shouldn't the sights be set a little lower? Like who gets closest without going over to E3 without being banned?
Haha.

I always feel bad for the passionate gamers here that get banned leading up to EA, yet it's inevitable.

I hope MS has a good showing at E3, otherwise I think they'll only have a chance at winning November/December (in the US). If Sony however ends up lowering the price $50-$100 this fall, I think they'll win every month.

truth411

Flat Xbone sales at best with a $150 lower price of entry, they'd better have a damn attractive hardware redesign in the works because there's not much room to manoeuvre on pricing.
Actually couldn't they do an X1 slim this year. I know they can make it smaller if they wanted to, by my understanding both Sony and MS might have 20nm APUs this year.

truth411

Well at $299 we are talking about something completely different. Either way it's a moot point. I enjoy this forum way too much to get banned over a pointless bet.
Banned????!!!! Am I missing something, I was thinking just a friendly avatar bet or something. Just for fun, nothing so serious.

Ascenion

Im still saying they are going to drop it by a 100 just to get some people over the fence. Then they can drop it to 250 say within 18 months.

I'd agree if I didn't feel a redesign coming at next E3 (2016). $50 is enough to boost sales reasonably well while allowing for bundles at that price to effectively give a $100 value in consumer eyes. That should be more than enough.

jaypah

Flat Xbone sales at best with a $150 lower price of entry, they'd better have a damn attractive hardware redesign in the works because there's not much room to manoeuvre on pricing.

Yup. And they rode into the gen on their high-horse so they probaby didn't account for getting their ass kicked. They are now on the back foot and following Sony's playbook but it's getting late. They should have focused on that 1st party output while Kinect was selling mad consoles. Sony ended the gen strong on the 1st party front, courted devs both big and small and came in ready to fight. MS is in reaction mode and it's not too late to stop the bleeding but they'll always have the scar. Hot damn, that was corny as fuck. 😂

Why, the X1 is huge if they get 20nm APUs, leading to a smaller sexy redesign and bundled games would do them a lot of good.

It is already late april and 20 nm APUs are not ready yet...no way there is a slim this year IMO. It takes awhile to ramp up production and do these things.

Kill3r7

Banned????!!!! Am I missing something, I was thinking just a friendly avatar bet or something. Just for fun, nothing so serious .

Agreed. However in case something has changed over the last couple of days I don't want us to get in trouble over it.

Yeah this to me is the most disturbing part of the entire numbers. Not the decrease in revenue. Not the actual units. The fact that Xbone at best is flat YoY while being $150 cheaper is certainly not a good statistic, and something I guarantee MS isn't happy about.

To put it into perspective, if the PS4 went down by $150 does anyone believe it would be flat YoY? That is the part of these shipment numbers that is the most disarming.

Well at $299 we are talking about something completely different. Either way it's a moot point. I enjoy this forum way too much to get banned over a pointless bet.

IIRC ban bets aren't allowed anymore.

i'm pretty sure NPD doesn't count bundles in sales.

No, but they do track the Bundled SKUs, meaning we know how much the Destiny PS4 bundle sold vs the base PS4. And obviously through math (Destiny bundle + Destiny standalone) we get the answer, which was Destiny PS4 > Xbox. That's all he's saying.

I'd agree if I didn't feel a redesign coming at next E3 (2016). $50 is enough to boost sales reasonably well while allowing for bundles at that price to effectively give a $100 value in consumer eyes. That should be more than enough.

Now you have to ask the question does the PS4 really need a redesign its already a pretty sleek device. I think a redesign for the PS4 would be in the 4th year like the PS2.

jaypah

The fact they're coming to X1 as well doesn't really mean anything.
MGSV is traditionally a series associated to Playstation like Final Fantasy, the game will sell the most on PS4, it won't even run very well on the X1 because of the Fox Engine (sales split will likely be 65:35 or higher in PS4 favour), they will have exclusive bundles, it will push PS4 hardware sales not XB1s.
Destiny did not sell better on X1 (at least not on launch month), it sold better without counting those exclusive bundles that pushed PS4 hardware sales giving PS4 a big victory last September (225k or 250k over X1? I don't remember).
Batman and Star Wars...same story there will be bundles and will be positioned as the next must have games for PS4 by the exclusive marketing. The seventh Star Wars movie will create a lot of hype and buzz around that bundles.

The point is simply that Sony is handling their marketing partnership way way better than MS and they're doing all the right moves so far.
MS....well they have just lost exclusivity of COD rights after what...10 years?

Damn, that's a pretty grim post (for MS). And they lost the Cod marketing? I mean, it gets rumored every year but I didn't know it was official.

Also is it just me or did the conversation about who gets to market a 3rd party game get super weird this gen? Is it because of the lack of real 3rd party exclusives making marketing distinction more important? I remember it being called a waste of money and even worse than timed exclusives. Whatever the case I think it actually works.

Yeah this to me is the most disturbing part of the entire numbers. Not the decrease in revenue. Not the actual units. The fact that Xbone at best is flat YoY while being $150 cheaper is certainly not a good statistic, and something I guarantee MS isn't happy about.

To put it into perspective, if the PS4 went down by $150 does anyone believe it would be flat YoY? That is the part of these shipment numbers that is the most disarming.

A $250 PS4 would fly off the shelves. I think a $250 X1 would do better than the current sales also though. Man, MS just really did themselves in. Didn't help that Sony was on point.

Also is it just me or did the conversation about who gets to market a 3rd party game get super weird this gen? Is it because of the lack of real 3rd party exclusives making marketing distinction more important? I remember it being called a waste of money and even worse than timed exclusives. Whatever the case I think it actually works.

Oh it for sure works. Look at how many units the Destiny bundle sold. Look at how Destiny on PS4 outsold Destiny on Xbone even though it was a Bungie title. Inversely Evolve was marketed on Xbone. Guess what? It sold better on Xbox One.

Now of course there will be exceptions, like I'm thinking that Witcher 3 will sell more on PS4 probably even though it has a MS deal, but in general these marketing deals certainly seem to have some impact.

Damn, that's a pretty grim post (for MS). And they lost the Cod marketing? I mean, it gets rumored every year but I didn't know it was official.

MS losing COD marketing is still a rumor, but I won't be surprised if MS actually did.

Well, there is a debate of whether gaining marketing rights to a 3rd party game is ethical. However, it has benefited both Sony (Destiny) and Microsoft (AC: Unity).

Nothing official yet about cod marketing.

Ascenion

Now you have to ask the question does the PS4 really need a redesign its already a pretty sleek device. I think a redesign for the PS4 would be in the 4th year like the PS2.

Personally the power/eject buttons could 100% be moved and improved. The light strip could also be removed in favor of something more subtle. The awkward shape and slit casing features could also be changed. Those are the main complaints I hear from friends and somewhat share so purely anecdotal but still a redesign would be welcome sooner than later for me, especially if they opt for 2 versus 1 again.

jaypah

Oh it for sure works. Look at how many units the Destiny bundle sold. Look at how Destiny on PS4 outsold Destiny on Xbone even though it was a Bungie title. Inversely Evolve was marketed on Xbone. Guess what? It sold better on Xbox One.

Now of course there will be exceptions, like I'm thinking that Witcher 3 will sell more on PS4 probably even though it has a MS deal, but in general these marketing deals certainly seem to have some impact.

Yeah, I thought that's how it has been playing out. Thanks.

MS losing COD marketing is still a rumor, but I won't be surprised if MS actually did.

Well, there is a debate of whether gaining marketing rights to a 3rd party game is ethical. However, it has benefited both Sony (Destiny) and Microsoft (AC: Unity).

Oh, I don't care about the ethics, it's just business. I meant the general sentiment towards it in the gaming enthusiasts world. Seems like a shift happened. Things change. We laughed at horse armor once upon a time...

Nothing official yet about cod marketing.

Ok, thanks.

Pez

Yeah,those numbers don't look good from an armchair perspective. If they don't pull some first-party rabbits out of the hat at E3, Halo 5 will be the last thing people care about on this system for awhile.

I'm not really sure a new Gears of War is really going to do it for me at E3. HOWEVER, they basically bought their "Nintendogs" with the purchase of Minecraft, so if they can do interesting things with that property to interest the game's audience, it could be a huge tidal shift for the platform.

If not, they're boned.

The question is if the gap keeps getting bigger, would they lose AC marketing too?

Better question would be, how would Xbox One sales be if MS had a $399 Xbox One from the start along with a $499 Kinect bundle?

I'd say better than now.

A $399 Xbox One from the start, with an actual good reveal and none of the DRM, TV, TV, TV, TV stuff would have been an entirely different story. I'm not saying it would have outsold the PS4 or anything but it would have a drastically better performance, I would bet anything on it.

That reveal / price combo was the worst I've ever seen in the industry. Its astounding how badly the executive team at MS screwed their own product.

Better question would be, how would Xbox One sales be if MS had a $399 Xbox One from the start along with a $499 Kinect bundle?

I'd say better than now.

uhhh...they lowered the price to 399 and its ass was still kicked by the ps4. xbone can't outsell ps4 at par so they had to lower the price again during the holidays to as low as 329. now it is selling at 349 and ps4 at 399 is still outselling it.

A $399 Xbox One from the start, with an actual good reveal and none of the DRM, TV, TV, TV, TV stuff would have been an entirely different story. I'm not saying it would have outsold the PS4 or anything but it would have a drastically better performance, I would bet anything on it.

That reveal / price combo was the worst I've ever seen in the industry. Its astounding how badly the executive team at MS screwed their own product.
The aggressive bundling last holiday season might have been too desperate, people might wait and see what kind of insane deals they get for black Friday and this holiday season.

Not just better, but a lot better.

It would be better but way better? I don't know, Playstation is way stronger Worldwide regardless, the reveal is not really a factor now. It would be close and maybe a small lead in the US and UK, but everywhere else don;t think it makes much difference. Launching same time as playstation pretty much means being behind sony unless something really drastic happens for Microsoft.

EatMyFace

Banned

Unity deal is something else entirely. That $350 Unity bundle has pretty much been the standard SKU since November.

It would be better but way better? I don't know, Playstation is way stronger Worldwide regardless, the reveal is not really a factor now. It would be close and maybe a small lead in the US and UK, but launching same time as playstation pretty much means being behind sony unless something really drastic happens.

The reveal is still a factor imo. I think MS burned some serious bridges with that, even though they changed it. Fact is tons of people buy and resell games. Usually "the Internet" isn't representative of overall trends but I've never seen so much outward anger as the Xbone reveal had.

I mean there was Facebook posts from MS after the announcement with literally tons of comments basically saying F U.

The reveal is still a factor imo. I think MS burned some serious bridges with that, even though they changed it. Fact is tons of people buy and resell games. Usually "the Internet" isn't representative of overall trends but I've never seen so much outward anger as the Xbone reveal had.

I mean there was Facebook posts from MS after the announcement with literally TONS of comments basically saying F U.

I really don't think most casual buyers even remember, care or really knew at this point that was nearly 2 years ago.. The fu comments mean little, console war, internet troll BS. See it every on ps4 facebook pages as well.

Top Bottom