• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way Bungie balanced the Qodeos fight. Without a Titan, it is significantly harder than Urrox.

Urrox could reasonably be taken down with 3x 33's, but Qodros is a slog with 3x34s.

Not fun, not worth it.

A titan helps, but it's not required. I'll be drawing up a little strategy map and typing out a strat for him that should come up in an hour or two~

I'm just going to farm daily Crucible just to get passage coins so when I do attempt it again, it won't feel as bad.

What I was getting at is that (unless Im misremembering) only the Titan boots have the heavy ammo perk. I've been running the daily to get my coins as well. Just don't spend 9 right away. Start with only the free win. Grab the double win when you're 2 short of your goal. I'll be at work tomorrow otherwise is try to help you or with the boots. Hate to see one of my GAF friends feeling like you are.

Ken

http://i.imgur.com/fcEP2Xm.jpg[/I

Would this be a viable alternative to Hawkmoon (cuz I don't have that yet)?

Comes with Final Round, Smallbore, Luck in the Chamber.[/QUOTE]

Viable alts to Hawkmoon are thorn and TLW IMO.

Legendary HCs don't really stand up to exotic HCs.

Sofa King

There's no way Bungie balanced the Qodeos fight. Without a Titan, it is significantly harder than Urrox.

Urrox could reasonably be taken down with 3x 33's, but Qodros is a slog with 3x34s.

Not fun, not worth it.

The worst part of it for me is the slow cool down on the super meter. That and the plethora of yellow bar sniping vex.

zewone

I think I just ran into my first network exploiting scumbags.

1 win away from flawless and were up 4-1 rounds and I get knocked off the network.

I haven't experienced this before but I can't be certain but it was way too convenient. Sorry Ken.

gatti-man

Not fun, not worth it.

I just did it without a Titan. 1 hunter 2 locks. Far left side. Handle ads first.

Yes it's a slog and yes it's much harder than last week but it isn't as hard as it seems if you go all the way around far left. It's manageable and takes 10-20 minutes to get it done usually.

Because the jump is terrible if you keep it activated too long. It doesn't work well as a Titan lift replacement. Better to go in straight lines with focused burst - the faster the second tap after the first, the greater the angle of the jump, the more vertical you'll go versus forward. The slower the second tap after the first, the lower the angle, and the more horizontal the jump. Third tap deactivates the glide while preserving forward momentum. If you keep it activate you just float around like you're in molasses and that's where people go wrong with it. It'll give you the greatest airtime, though, which is useful in a few circumstances like Urrox little lava floor attack.

I know, but the Titan double tap along the ground is still way faster.

Ken

I think I just ran into my first network exploiting scumbags.

1 win away from flawless and were up 4-1 rounds and I get knocked off the network.

I haven't experienced this before but I can't be certain but it was way too convenient. Sorry Ken.

No worries. I'm just bummed we couldn't get Coolbreeze his first lighthouse.

down 2 orth

Viable alts to Hawkmoon are thorn and TLW IMO.

Legendary HCs don't really stand up to exotic HCs.

Well I'm thinking with 6-7 rounds and two of them dealing bonus damage, it should pack a good punch. Plus it lets me put Plan C or another exotic in my secondary slot. Stats are pretty similar to Hawkmoon, so I'm wondering what the catch is.

Ken

Well I'm thinking with 6-7 rounds and two of them dealing bonus damage, it should pack a good punch. Plus it lets me put Plan C or another exotic in my secondary slot. Stats are pretty similar to Hawkmoon, so I'm wondering what the catch is.

I've never used either so could be worth trying.

fcEP2Xm.jpg

Would this be a viable alternative to Hawkmoon (cuz I don't have that yet)?

Comes with Final Round, Smallbore, Luck in the Chamber.

I have it. It's fucking great. Had more kills than I normally get with Hawkmoon when I tested it out with a similar roll.

Kalamari

I have been playing around with catapult on my titan and it does give a good push forward if you delay the second tap after a jump. This could change everything.

So I had a trials card that I was 7-1 on. Just finished 7-3 again.

tumblr_m3zf9xoxyk1r87az4.gif

I knew I should've just left it the fuck alone for right now.

Trials has driven me to the fucking brink.

Lima

Like I said shout out to Homeboyd who got the extra special ToO carry treatment. By not even playing himself cause he is too much of a scrub. Flawless and that one match where we were down 4-1 and came back for the win? Hella sweaty.

Whoa, great!!

What was your roll?

Sureshot/Icarus/Braced Frame/Luck in the Chamber

With only 6 bullets (Braced Frame), LitC procs almost as much as on Hawkmoon. With LitC+Final Round, it would be more.

I kept this roll because of all the ToO HCs having Icarus. I figure it must be pretty good (once I master blink headshotting like Unstabby).

Korosenai

Like I said shout out to Homeboyd who got the extra special ToO carry treatment. By not even playing himself cause he is too much of a scrub. Flawless and that one match where we were down 4-1 and came back for the win? Hella sweaty.
We did two 9-0's in like an hour 40 minutes. Had a lot of fun, still sad I didn't get the shader though.

Sullichin

Why is everyone suddenly using the word sweaty to describe TOO matches. I have never heard that word used like this before until last week.

Homeboyd

lol I'm gone all weekend unfortunately. Looking forward to playing tomorrow finally

down 2 orth

Sureshot/Icarus/Braced Frame/Luck in the Chamber

With only 6 bullets (Braced Frame), LitC procs almost as much as on Hawkmoon. With LitC+Final Round, it would be more.

I kept this roll because of all the ToO HCs having Icarus. I figure it must be pretty good (once I master blink headshotting like Unstabby).

That's very nice as well, especially with that fast reload to compensate for the magazine!

Sullichin

I can't remember, did Bungie already say what Iron Banner gear will be available aside from Etheric Light?

Yeah
Lord Saladin will be back in the Tower on Tuesday, June 2nd. He knows your PVP heart has been enthralled by the shiny lures of Brother Vance, so he’s bringing some new goodies to win back your love. Boots, Gauntlets, Fusion Rifles, Scout Rifles, and that elusive Etheric Light that you all crave...

from the Weekly update

What I was getting at is that (unless Im misremembering) only the Titan boots have the heavy ammo perk. I've been running the daily to get my coins as well. Just don't spend 9 right away. Start with only the free win. Grab the double win when you're 2 short of your goal. I'll be at work tomorrow otherwise is try to help you or with the boots. Hate to see one of my GAF friends feeling like you are.

My Warlock boots have the heavy ammo perk, but I think I got lucky on the gold tier rewards.

down 2 orth

Lord Saladin will be back in the Tower on Tuesday, June 2nd. He knows your PVP heart has been enthralled by the shiny lures of Brother Vance, so he’s bringing some new goodies to win back your love. Boots, Gauntlets, Fusion Rifles, Scout Rifles, and that elusive Etheric Light that you all crave..

DeeJ: Here little rats, come get your cheese.

Us: CHEESE!

Lima

Why is everyone suddenly using the word sweaty to describe TOO matches. I have never heard that word used like this before until last week.

Because when you pull of that clutch 1vs3 or come back down 1-4 to get the win 5-4 it is getting sweaty.

urlzpsbs.jpg

Dave_6

My PvP life: 5-16 in a Skirmish match, 32-6 in the next match playing Clash. One day I will be consistently good.

GhaleonEB

When the progression system for the House of Wolves was announced, I was pretty ecstatic, along with most of the community. The idea of leveling up my favorite gear and weapons along with the new HoW toys was smart and exactly what Destiny needed to keep the sandbox relevent. Between new HoW gear and the etheric light/ascending system, I thought I'd have several paths forward for my characters.

In reality, for a PvE player such as myself, it's even more limiting than The Dark Below was. There, progression was tied to raid gear (again, just a PvE player), but a few runs on each character is what it took to get the gear. At the least, I felt somewhat in control of my own progression, even if the shard requirements were unreasonable.

Right now my only reliable path forward is to run the level 32 Prison of Elders for the armor cores, and buy what Variks has on rotation each week. Assuming I run it three times a week, I can get everyone to max level in three weeks. I've run it twice and accidentally wasted one of my cores. (Whoops.) This means I'll end up with the one set with the higher light levels, as with TDB, which is what I thought the etheric light system was designed to fix.

(After six Nightfalls, the sixth granted etheric light, which I use to bring Fatebringer up to 365. My Titan was feeling how underleveled it was in the Weekly/Nightfall. It's clear the NF won't be a reliable or predictable way to progress.)

I don't understand why we have to run a level 34 activity to get the upgrade materials needed to get us to level 34. I don't understand why treasure keys are so extraordinarily rare. (Outside of the story progression, I got one and my daughter has received zero after two weeks of bounties.) And I really don't understand why etheric light is just dropped into the Nightfalls as a possible reward, rather than added to the second drop slot so we can progress our own gear at a moderate pace (that would also get 3 characters to level 34 in three weeks, as with Variks...but using the gear of our choice.)

I have no plans to attempt the level 34 PoE again any time soon, unless it's substantially rebalanced. Up to the boss was fine, the boss himself....nope. This is making something hard in the wrong way; it wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't something I ever want to do again. I don't like the level 32 boss either, but he's a more reasonable proposition. Faced with running level 34 PoE, or slowly leveling through Variks gear, I'll take the latter.

Right now I feel less in control of my progression than I have at any point since Destiny came out. It's a very frustrating development in what is otherwise a superb expansion.

BREEZY'S 'BREEZY' STRATEGIES!

This weeks episode: Episode 06- "Qodrons Quirky Quipu!"

Starring-You!

This map should be self explanatory. I'll explain what the different colored lines mean. So the basic strategy of this, if you don't have Gjallahorns or want to waste time waiting for synths, is pretty simple. The first thing you're going to immediately do when you enter the arena, is rush to the right side of the arena. Or where the blue dots are. There is decent coverage here, but we'll talk about that later about how it plays into the decision to choose that side, let's talk about the mechanics.

You: But Breezy I cannot beat Qodron without spamming Gjallahorn! This boss is cheap and unfair!
Director Breezy:We pay you the big bucks! Don't worry next week you'll be back to fighting Putty Patrollers!

Qodrons Eye

This is the first 'Mechanic' you may see. One Goblin out of the many Qodron sends towards you, will be a yellow bar Goblin who's also shimmering Silver. This Goblin will home in on the closest Guardian-So it's paramount that you and your group rush to the right side or you might lose him before the first jail. If anyone lags behind, the Eye will go towards them and he'll take an alternate route. If you look at my drawing, the dashed silver line represents this. If one of your teammates lags near the entrance, the Eye will take the route as drawn. It is paramount to have an eye on the jailer, and to have a designated 'Jailbreaker'. Qodron throws out the first Jail about 30 seconds after the start of the fight, and then about 30-45 seconds later after that. You can immediately kill the first Qodron you see and have enough time to clear the first jail, but after that you have to stagger when you kill the eye. There is always atleast 1 eye spawned, and as soon as you kill it another appears to take it's place even while you still have the buff. So keep an Eye out!

Qodrons Jail
Every once in a while, Qodron will summon a jail. This jail is incredibly strong, and will resist all gunfire unless you have the Jailbreaker buff. It is paramount you designate an eye killer, so that he can break you out. Only 1 person gets the buff, but everyone gets jailed. The Jail will also do damage to you, and will kill you if you are low.

You:But Director this is impossible! Even Rita Repulsa wouldn't do something so evil!
Director Breezy:Actually, we hired Rita Repulsa, now that you mentioned it! Why do you think all of our bosses are just giant versions of smaller enemies?

So onto the actual map. I drew two silver lines-One is full and one is dashed. If you are all on the right side, the Eye will take the full silver path. If one of you lags, the Eye will be set to the dashed line and you might lose sight of him. Now you're wondering, 'Wait why doesn't it just walk directly to us?' There is a natural slope that prevents Vex from walking up towards you. Refer to the picture again. Do you see how the silver and red lines penetrate the dome? There is a little entrance to the right side that goblins and hobgoblins, as well as the Eye itself are funneled to get to you. Refer to the mass of red dashes, that is where most Vex will huddle around, and only 1 or 2 hobgoblins will come at you at a time. Unlike the left side of the arena, which is a flat ground and goblins will happily walk over to you. The only time a Vex will get to you, is if a Harpy will accidentally fly over the slope, realize that he came in too early, and exit stage left in shame.

You:Boy this is tough! Can't I just Gjallahorn the boss to death?!
Director Breezy: Listen I get that we reuse the same explosion scene for like, half the episodes, but let's try something new alright?

So why did I only draw one silver line for the Goblin? As long as you and your team are on the right side, the Eye will always take the same path, walking towards you and walking around the 'Block' and going into the entrance on the side. He will ALWAYS pass by right in front of you. However, so will some hobgoblins and goblins. most of them bunch up by the entrance to your little slice of heaven, but you should never get any goblins assaulting you directly.

You: This episode is fun! I'm happy I didn't Gjallahorn my way through victory!
Director Breezy: That's a wrap!

The only other thing to worry about is ammo. Since little to no goblins are near you, you'll have to venture out to collect ammo from the heaps of corpses infront of you. Call out to your group for 'Clear out some adds in front' or say you're going for an ammo run, there's usually plenty if you've had one person clearing out huge groups of adds with grenades. Voidlocks are actually pretty damn great for this fight.

And that's it. I hope you enjoyed the guide. Now go get him, Rangers!

Edit-Oh yeah during the actual 'Jail' mechanic, group up to the rightmost area behind the rubble, nothing can hit you on the rightmost side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom