• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store: June’s Top Sellers

Not sure how you interpreted it that way. I'm just commenting on how it's demonstrably quite popular on PlayStation and that those with out an Xbox will have to wait till next year for the sequel.

I know, just being silly. Will be interesting to see how sales hold up on PS4 after a delay, especially if reviews are not great on Xbox One.

GTA is surprisingly low in EU.

Playstation store charts seem to be made up of new releases and titles that have been on a sale. Do not think GTA has been on sale, its £50 on the UK store.

L.O.R.D

PS Classics (US)
1 FINAL FANTASY VII
2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3 Mega Man 8
4 Crash Bandicoot
5 FINAL FANTASY IX
6 Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
7 Crash Bandicoot 3: WARPED
8 Suikoden III
9 Spyro the Dragon
10 CTR: Crash Team Racing

i really don't understand
why i can download crash on my PS3 but not in my vita ?
i heard its a license things , but the game is already on PS3 US
why not vita ?

Both were actually on sale in June.

GTAV during the best of E3 sale.

Plus, Devil May Cry 4: SE is a character action game with lesser widespread appeal than both of those titles. The mere fact that it's even by GTAV after a deal when that game continues to sell like gangbusters is incredible.

The hype for Remake is so strong that it caused a surge of downloads of the original game. Love it. Never underestimate the selling power of FFVII.

BokehKing

Banned
ESO? Crazy
An elder scroll game, fully voice acted by recognizable names, better UI then every other mmo on ps4, and no monthly fee? I would argue a much better combat system than ff14 as well. Maps in ff14 sucked and was ridiculous trying to find some of quest locations.

Plus elder scrolls... People not on forums consider it "Skyrim online"

It's really no surprise, forget the PC release, this is a different game now

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
An elder scroll game, fully voice acted by recognizable names, better UI then every other mmo on ps4, and no monthly fee? I would argue a much better combat system than ff14 as well. Maps in ff14 sucked and was ridiculous trying to find some of quest locations.

Plus elder scrolls... People not on forums consider it "Skyrim online"

It's really no surprise, forget the PC release, this is a different game now
One thing that of course it's a given considering the nature of the game is that it will never be able to compete in the amount of content it provides compare to other MMOs and it's basically stuck in the same position of GW2 with a reliance of the Vanity Shop and infrequent content updates.

Color me surprised if Bethesda ever manages to break even on the truckload of money they spent making this game only to end up being forced to drop the Subscription Model.

autoduelist

[/B][/B]

i really don't understand
why i can download crash on my PS3 but not in my vita ?
i heard its a license things , but the game is already on PS3 US
why not vita ?

I don't understand, you answered your own question. It's most likely licensing.

Contracts can be written like: [Note - I'm using common English rather than legalise]

"[Sony] is granted the right to have [Game] on the Playstation Network for sale, download, and use on the PSP."

And... then they can't put it up for Vita. They simply don't have the right.

Now, if you wonder why Sony didn't have the contract say "all current and future platforms" it's usually because most publishers are extremely wary about giving away all future rights to something. When they're signing the contract, it's considered smart to leave stuff like that up for future negotiation... unfortunately, by the time it actually is time for renegotiation, it's often an old title and sometimes nobody at the publisher remembers/cares/etc.

Other times, there are timed licenses to force re-negotiation, and again, by the time it is ready to be renegotiated the publisher may not even exist, or may be sold to a bigger company that doesn't care, etc.

Or, even if they want to renegotiate, sometimes the publisher no longer can -- for example, perhaps they couldn't renegotiate their own rights for the soundtrack, so no longer can legally license the game without reworking it.

This could also explain why some titles are available to download onto PS3 and transferable to Vita.

Imagine two possible lines:

A) "Sony is granted the right to have [PS1 Game] on the Playstation Network for sale, download, and use on the PS3."
B) "Sony is granted the right to have [PS1 Game] on the Playstation Network for download to the PS3."

The first clearly states 'use'. The second only states 'download'. It's conceivable [but truly just guesswork] that Sony lets us transfer some titles to the vita because while they're technically not allowed to sell it on the vita, there's no set restriction on where it can be played, so they're actually going above and beyond by letting us transfer.

Licensing is a mess. It would be much easier if they were giving blanket forever licenses to all future platforms, but it's rare anyone will sign that kind of contract since it removes future bargaining power for the publisher.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
ESO was something I wanted to try but was waiting to see how many people got into it. Looks like lots which is important for an MMO. I think I will have to try it out now.

fedexpeon

Banned
ESO is number 1?
Whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt?

Doesn't it still have the same shitty and janky combat system from the past ES games?

I'm not into MMO's at all but I love Elder Scrolls games and I'm enjoying ESO. I've gotten my money's worth out of it already and despite joining the GAF guild I've never felt the need to deal with other people at all. The quests are fun and there's more narrative than in most MMOs. It's not as detailed as a "real" ES game but that's okay. It scratches an itch for me.

It's clear though that people who are veteran MMO folks or who demand full complexity from their ES experience will not be happy as they are taking a middle ground here but I'd encourage console Elder Scrolls fans to at least try it. You can always trade the game in if you don't like it.

Ledhead

Surprised to see ESO claiming the top spot. Didn't expect it to bomb, but didn't expect really strong sales either. Witcher 3 still doing well unsurprisingly.

Also surprised to see Hardline charting. I like the game and still play it, but it never seemed to get much buzz

Aces&Eights

ESO is number 1?
Whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt?

Doesn't it still have the same shitty and janky combat system from the past ES games?

Yes. I'm regretting my purchase. I get that some people like it but honestly, Souls and Bloodborne have ruined combat for me in other games.

Tizoc

Contracts can be written like: [Note - I'm using common English rather than legalise]

"[Sony] is granted the right to have [Game] on the Playstation Network for sale, download, and use on the PSP."

Now, if you wonder why Sony didn't have the contract say "all current and future platforms" it's usually because most publishers are extremely wary about giving away all future rights to something. When they're signing the contract, it's considered smart to leave stuff like that up for future negotiation... unfortunately, by the time it actually is time for renegotiation, it's often an old title and sometimes nobody at the publisher remembers/cares/etc.

Other times, there are timed licenses to force re-negotiation, and again, by the time it is ready to be renegotiated the publisher may not even exist, or may be sold to a bigger company that doesn't care, etc.

Or, even if they want to renegotiate, sometimes the publisher no longer can -- for example, perhaps they couldn't renegotiate their own rights for the soundtrack, so no longer can legally license the game without reworking it.

This could also explain why some titles are available to download onto PS3 and transferable to Vita.

A) "Sony is granted the right to have [PS1 Game] on the Playstation Network for sale, download, and use on the PS3."
B) "Sony is granted the right to have [PS1 Game] on the Playstation Network for download to the PS3."

The first clearly states 'use'. The second only states 'download'. It's conceivable [but truly just guesswork] that Sony lets us transfer some titles to the vita because while they're technically not allowed to sell it on the vita, there's no set restriction on where it can be played, so they're actually going above and beyond by letting us transfer.

Licensing is a mess. It would be much easier if they were giving blanket forever licenses to all future platforms, but it's rare anyone will sign that kind of contract since it removes future bargaining power for the publisher.

How were Sony able to clear these licensing issues for EU and JP accounts then?

Alo0oy

Banned
Do we know the ratio of physical versus psn purchases? Let's say Batman sold 600K phyical copies on PS4 this month in NA, what does it mean for psn numbers?

It depends on the game, usually it's ~20%. So if by your example Batman sold 600k physical units, digital should be around ~150k.

L.O.R.D

so , if sony ported the ps1 games to PS4 , thats mean we should able to download them on vita , right ?
i don't mean the enhanced PS1 game like the PC port of FF7 , like any PS1 on PS3

Fisty

Because most international publishers have separate divisions that control their titles in different regions, therefore maybe Activision's EU offices were able to renegotiate for Vita use of PS1 games, but the US branch wouldnt budge on their negotiations or were asking for unreasonable terms.

There is no such thing as a "Sony", there is Sony Computer Entertainment America and Europe (and Japan+Asia). SCEA and SCEE are two entirely different companies with different cert departments, different refund policies, different basically everything.

If you want to publish a game on PS4, you must go through THREE certification processes, for SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA (if you want to release in Asia). It's very different from Xbox, where you must only go through one Microsoft. With Sony, when you have a Playstation game, you have a contract with two or three different companies.

In this case, SCEE and SCEJA could deal with Vita licensing issues, but SCEA could not, for reasons unknown to us.

autoduelist

Because most international publishers have separate divisions that control their titles in different regions, therefore maybe Activision's EU offices were able to renegotiate for Vita use of PS1 games, but the US branch wouldnt budge on their negotiations or were asking for unreasonable terms.

Fisty basically answered it, but I'd add that licensing can work very differently from country to country, especially with digital IP.

Also, often times, entirely different companies 'own' the rights to different regions, so while one company may be interested in negotiation, another might not care enough to spend time dealing with old titles.

For example, I might give Company A the rights to publish my game called Gamex in Asia, and Company B the rights to publish Gamex in the Americas. Company A was then bought by EA because they wanted a different IP, 90% of the staff of Company A let go in the process, and so Gamex is just a footnote in some file cabinet somewhere, completely forgotten by anyone currently working at EA. Meanwhile, Company B simply went out of business.... and now, the licenses have expired on both. Who exactly is going to sit down, figure out who needs to be talked to, chase them down, convince them it's worth their time, negotiate a contract, etc, etc? That person might not even exist.

Sorting that out is no easy task, and that's truly just scratching the surface with a couple easy 'structural' changes that can affect things.

And to make matters 100x more complex, a lot of the games we are talking about (ps1, etc) had licensing set up before 'digital' was a thing.

so , if sony ported the ps1 games to PS4 , thats mean we should able to download them on vita , right ?
i don't mean the enhanced PS1 game like the PC port of FF7 , like any PS1 on PS3

It honestly depends? There's no easy answer. Though there is no 'porting' of PS1 games to PS4, if we get them, it's through emulation, not porting.

But I get the gist of what you're asking, and... maybe? If Sony decides it needs to rework existing licenses to have them on PS4, then yes, I'm sure they'd probably update and include vita... but honestly, without insider knowledge that I don't have, I have no idea. I can only say that I do know licensing can be a nightmare of epic proportions, and so I never assume Sony is at fault when some game I want [metal gear acid, for example] isn't available on vita. They might be, sure, but there's many other possibilities.

Takao

Banned

I don't think SCEJA had any renegotiating to do. Every single PSP and PSone game on PSN in Japan works on Vita and that happened pretty much immediately. If they had to relicense each game, there would still be swaths that couldn't be played on it.

DMC4 at 7? That's not great.

It came out at the end of the month on the same day as Arkham Knight, which is like the biggest game release of 2015 outside of MGS5 and Fallout 4.

It will also surge when people are done fucking around with stupid Riddler Trophies and want to play an action game on the cheap. It'll likely chart next month as well.

autoduelist

I don't think SCEJA had any renegotiating to do. Every single PSP and PSone game on PSN in Japan works on Vita and that happened pretty much immediately. If they had to relicense each game, there would still be swaths that couldn't be played on it.

Again, different countries. They may have very generous licensing agreements, whereas in the US the contracts were more likely to be strict and limited. The differences could be caused by cultural or legal differences - they certainly have different IP laws in general than the US. I don't know any specifics about Japan, but the fact that it was easy for them in Japan has pretty much no bearing on the ease or difficultly in the US/EU/etc.

Different hurdles, different obstacles, different laws, different everything.
Again, I don't know any specifics, and know just enough about international licensing issues to know I want to run away from it. We don't even know for a fact it is licensing... but licensing is far and away the best explanation out there.

Somnia

I tried to tell people how much ESO has improved in the last 6 months and it had a major turn out on how people looked at it on PC. I said it was going to sell great on console and people laughed... :)

Sesha

Aww yeah, DMC4SE doing well for itself.

DMC4 at 7? That's not great.

Considering it's up against games like The Elder Scrolls Online, Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto V and released on the 24th I'd say it's doing pretty well.

Is ESO worth it?

Did you enjoy Oblivion and Skyrim on console? If Y, continue.

Would you like to spend more time in that type of environment, with those types of quests, style, and lore? If Y, continue.

Would you be okay with a somewhat streamlined experience (i.e. furniture such as bookshelves are treated as one object, instead of being able to pick up and manipulate items on such furniture)? If Y, continue.

Would you be okay with other people visibly running around obviously doing the same quests as you? If Y, continue.

Have you spent a lot of time playing other MMOs, to the point where you are super familiar with terms like "Tanks", "DPS", and "Perfect Builds"? If Y, you should probably steer clear as people familiar with those genre standards have expressed annoyance at ESO's lack of adherence to them.

Otherwise pick up the game and enjoy. There's no monthly fee and you can always sell/trade it in if you don't like it. I'm enjoying the game, personally.

Shantom

EU Classics:

1. Suikoden II (9)
2. Final Fantasy VII (7)
3. Suikoden (RE)
4. Metal Gear Solid (RE)
5. Final Fantasy IX (9)
6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (2)
7. Crash Bandicoot (1)
8. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (3)
9. Final Fantasy VIII (RE)
10. CTR: Crash Team Racing (4)

Those discounts on Suikoden paid off.

OuterLimits

Suikoden 3 on classics at 8th doesn't seem that great since it launched in June. I guess we probably won't see Suikoden IV and V on classics. :(

Oh and bring classics to PS4 Sony.

Damn b2p is really helping ESO. I keep seeing ESO as on the top seller list on Steam(top 10) and now here, Good for zenimax.

PepperedHam

Great for ESO. Really great game that's great fun on console, and no sub fee means I get to bob and weave between it and FFXIV. Which is good because ESO scratches an itch that FFXIV doesn't for me and that's building your character. I love spending time figuring out where I want to put my next skill point and what type of weapon to switch in next, the open endedness when it comes to your character is pretty fun and I find myself thinking about my next move while at work often.

Not surprised at all to see it selling so well.

Top Bottom