• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser "Indie shmup thats inspired by 70's anime robots"

shaowebb

fvnvEBA.jpg

On Steam for $4.99!

This is a cheap indie game that recently stole my heart made by the folks that did Satazius that I thought I'd share.

Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser is an old school side scrolling shmup that is an homage to old school robot animes from the 70's like Voltron, Mazinger, and Beast King Go Lion. Small titles like shmups usually don't get threads made for them unless they are something legendary like Ikaruga or something, but occassionally you just run into something indie that is unique and fun enough you want to share.

In this game, instead of grabbing powerups you can combine your giant flying robot with the ships of your team mates to turn into different versions of Vulkaiser. Vulkaiser has his own lifebar and so do each of his team mate's ships so be careful because not only can Vulkaiser die, but so can his team mates when you combine with them! Get shot down when combined and thats it for ever seeing that team mate or that form of Vulkaiser again but dont worry too much about getting hit in your giant robot...the little dot under his arm is the only vulnerable spot on him and it blinks to show you where your hurtbox is to allow for very precision dodging. Also your team mate's ships along with Vulkaiser heal a bit after each stage.

a4ShxVE.jpg

4tZYlLJ.jpg

csQzlk3.jpg

Ddcf2Xq.gif
J0oE3Eh.gif

Also every run is a 1cc...there are no continues. However the life bar on Vulkaiser plus the extra lifebars for those of his team mates off set this. You can hold the shot for auto fire and to fill your charge meter. Once charge attacks are full let go of shot to unleash a special attack that is different depending on the form of Vullkaiser you are using at the time. You also have good old fashioned bombs since its a shmup :)
Only complaint is that steam achievements pop up blocking some of the screen, but those are one and done so they go away and stop bugging you in like a run or so.

Basically the game is a really fun homage to oldschool gaming and giant robot shows of the 70's. Its got a lot of character, fun power ups similar to Raiden, and even its own theme song akin to those of the shows its based on.

If you like shmups or are just a fan of these sorts of things then I'd say you'd enjoy it. Its got several difficulties for any level of player.

Check out the fun Trailer theme.

Durante

I just watched the trailer. This is amazing. Bought (as soon as I get back to my PC).

Thanks for making the thread.

shaowebb

Nice thing is its a great shmup to learn to 1cc (1 credit clear). Its more forgiving than the bullethells that tend to scare folks away from such an incredible genre because it has the lifebar system, but it holds enough challenge to not coddle you and fun antics per stage to keep you coming back to see what happens next.

Glad I could let folks know about it. I loved Go Lion and that intro and combining aesthetic is so addictive :)

Durante

Gave it a quick spin. The graphics and sound are absolutely spot on for what it is trying (and succeeding) to do, but I also enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit -- at least after I adjusted to the hitbox position. The different combinations, their vastly different shots and that they have their own separate health (and that nothing fully regenerates across levels) adds some level of strategy to it.

349680_2015-07-19_000f2ytt.png

ranmafan

Hmm looks like the playstation game "70s robot anime geppy x" which is a fantastic game with the same 70s robot anime shooting theme. Love that game so much. I'll have to check this one out sometime.

Durante

By the way, mad props to whoever in the localization team is responsible for translating everything with yellow/black extra-pixelated subtitles. It's perfect.

shaowebb

Been playing on hard. The pressure on Stage 2 when the waves pour it on is real lol.
Game is super good. So far I do best with Rocket Kaiser or Drill Kaiser. Drill Kaiser is some edge of your seat stuff though because you go allllllllll in on damage but are forced to do a very point blank style of play that puts all your health bar and that of your shipmate on the line. Intense isn't even the word for it :D

Well...I can't say I've ever played that but it looked fun enough.Its been 15 years though so its high time we got more from this premise in shmups. Hope you enjoy having something else to play after all that time :)

Well, the longplay I watched made it seem a pretty standard shoot'em up with disappointing production values that just happens to use robot sprites for its ship and powerups. The mecha is even prone so its hitbox is the same as a ship. I'd rather play something like Asterbreed. :) I was expecting something more in the line of Geppy X, you know, something that actually made piloting a robot a difference rather than a sprite.

Top Bottom