• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 20-26 | No Gods or Kings, Only Tears

Crocodile

You know the Eagle is also the symbol of Mexico and Germany right. :p

Are BALD Eagles the symbols of Germany and Mexico? Americans don't use just any old Eagle you know :p

Yeah, but I am talking about folks that had hype and love for the game before, and then turned on it after quitting. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm the same as you - I'll talk all kinds of shit about the games I play, and how they could be so much better. I have a laundry list of improvements I want for Smash 4. But if you think the game is a total piece of shit, which is how I feel about USFIV, I don't see why you would keep playing it for so long.

For a lot of people, getting a lot of good competition at their level (large player base) is worth putting up with a game they would normally only/barely tolerate.

Tripon

Zissou

I still kinda hate Hulk as a character but KBR fully deserved the win- there is no harder working man in marvel right now. His world warrior training regimen was also kinda genius in a way- he got xp against everything/everyone, but they all only got a small opportunity to figure him out.

I trying the method of cancelling my 2 month pre order and re-ordering it since people seem to be getting it faster that way.

I pre-ordered on Saturday night and got my code today at 1pm PST. Would think that I'd have gotten mine after people who pre-ordered months in advance. I don't know if me being a long time prime member had anything to do with it.

Seyavesh

People were pressing hella buttons during Marvel Top 8 when they shouldn't have been. Granted, its a high pressure position and I respect that but still........hella buttons were being pressed when they shouldn't have been :p

rayray slid into modok shield twice and got magneto killed both times for it... like, what

honestly the quality of top8 marvel's level of play was a huge disappointment to me given the prior day's crazy high level

just really unfortunate overall that kbr and frutsy were the only dudes playin at the top of their games from go for whatever reasons

Shackzam

I pre-ordered on Saturday night and got my code today at 1pm PST. Would think that I'd have gotten mine after people who pre-ordered months in advance. I don't know if me being a long time prime member had anything to do with it.
I'm a long time prime member and had it pre ordered for awhile. So I don't think that matters.

Negaduck

Ray ray would have had to survive at least 12 hulk/hagger incomming mix ups to win evo. (I don't consider the start of the game to be one, just when a character dies).

Even someone with amazing blocks like champ would have a hard time fighting that.

(This assumes of course Kane took out point and the second).

That would have been incredibly impressive if ray ray clutched it out. He blocked the mix up on incoming which was awesome to see.

Zissou

rayray slid into modok shield twice and got magneto killed both times for it... like, what

honestly the quality of top8 marvel's level of play was a huge disappointment to me given the prior day's crazy high level

just really unfortunate overall that kbr and frutsy were the only dudes playin at the top of their games from go for whatever reasons

I think moreso it showed a deficiency in modok MU xp. Ray was doing plenty of technical stuff- insane improv confirms, fully optimized combos, style stuff, etc. He was crispy for the most part.

crash-14

6a529052bde0bdb683f40904d484e7d8.png

Marvel guys, would you move Hulk up a bit on the tier list? I mean, Jan had a strong showing at CEO too. He seems like the scariest character to fight against, mentally anyway. Obviously something like that is hard to quantify but I'm curious.
Individual tier lists are stupid.

Chillin at the airport right now. Evo was fun as fuck. Y'all just don't know how much emotion is in the room unless you're there. A stream don't cut it. Make the flight next time and save those pennies.

Also I found it hilarious how Gamerbee was the crowd favorite until 1 round of continuous healing, then the crowd turned on him lmao (made some money off those games tho)

Also, to Karst, Apologyman hates 2P side because he just doesn't practice it. Everyone knows it, so they use it to their advantage. His own fault for not practicing, and it was dumb to try and use that as an argument for two button dash. Unless I read it wrong, I only saw the post for about two seconds.

Shoutouts to everyone I met, with a special one to Arturo who admitted to being hella blitzed last year and didn't remember meeting me and Shouta last year at the after party lol
No, it is not a practice issue. I also main Firebrand, and I have the same problem despite hours of practice. Left side is easier due to human physical limitations.

Seyavesh

I think moreso it showed a deficiency in modok MU xp. Ray was doing plenty of technical stuff- insane improv confirms, fully optimized combos, style stuff, etc. He was crispy for the most part.

yeah, i just thought that was a silly highlight given that it feels like he should have xp vs lame modoks as i believe NY has at least 2 players of that style w/ him (...though i can't remember their names, haha)
ray and vineeth both eventually warmed up and it showed in the difference between their relatively cold 1st match and super hot 2nd match. it was really clear w/ rayray cuz man he started hulkin' up real fast around the 2nd or 3rd match vs neo
i'm more talking about the folks in the losers bracket moreso than the winners bracket. cross, rf and dizzy all looked really, really cold up to the point of their eliminations which is a huge shame b/c they were some of the biggest movers/shakers in the previous day

Who cares? KBR was clearly the best player in that top 8 by any measurement and the cleanest player over the entire weekend. I do agree that the overall skill level in Marvel was lower than last year for whatever reason, but KBR still showed up to win.

GreenScar

what's with all the KBR salt from top players?

Different reasons for different players. Justin, for instance, hasn't been feeling him since KBR celebrated after winning that random tourney against him because only Justin's allowed to pop off after a hype win.
And once you cross team Justin...well, look at what happened to Wolfkrone.

The others just always thought he was a scrub, but after his stint in Japan that scrub started whooping their asses. They just can't seem to admit that he leveled up.

Tripon

Different reasons for different players. Justin, for instance, hasn't been feeling him since KBR celebrated after winning that random tourney against him because only Justin's allowed to pop off after a hype win.
And once you cross team Justin...well, look at what happened to Wolfkrone.

The others just always thought he was a scrub, but after his stint in Japan that scrub started whooping their asses. They just can't seem to admit that he leveled up.

With a team that shouldn't work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stop giving people salty about KBR attention. It's pure hate, and coming from people with pretty clear financial interests, from the tournament entry to "pot bonuses."

It's sad that there's even a conversation about this. But then again, I expect no less for a dude who absolutely annihilated Justin Wong's mental game like we've never seen before in the game that he supposedly is the be all end all of.

petghost

Banned
Cool that makes it sound way more legit. If he had somehow bypassed all 3 gods I would understand some of the disappointment I guess but he beat the king himself to make it in.

Negaduck

KBR won evo. Any 'if this player did x' or 'x player had a death pool' kinda goes put the window there doesnt it?

If champ and Justin or Chris were good enough to win they would have.

They didn't so they couldn't cut it this year.

KBR did. KBR stayed solid and won. He deserves the win and from the work he put in just like the grind champ put in he deserved that win.

#1 reason why an American isn't going to win Capcom Cup. Too many staunch character loyalists and too many of them have characters that just lose to Elena. The top 3 EVO players had pocket Elenas and there will be more at Capcom Cup.

Honestly it's just too late for Americans to do real damage in USF4 now. They are simply playing a different game from the other players.

#1 reason is their practice hours

Ask any of the top Asian players and they will tell you they practice 6-10 hours everyday. Ask the western players and they say some shit like 5 hours a week or some bullshit like that. We see Justin playing. He plays against his subs in different games. It's only until they're a week away from a big tournament that they start grinding.

I really like Necalli. He reminds me of Yusuke going Mazoku. I hope his story ties into Urien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7vMoVpMlc

Anime as fuck

Seyavesh

Cool that makes it sound way more legit. If he had somehow bypassed all 3 gods I would understand I guess but he beat the king himself to make it in.

yessir, the day before was a hell of a show of skill and competition that was way WAY better than anything of the last top 8s. dudes played out of their goddamned minds

if you can, watch semis for marvel (or what was streamed of it anyways) because it was absolutely bonkers

edit: i don't meant 'better than the top8s of last evos' in a throwing shade way, i mean it in 'everyone is playing at the top of their game and at the highest level' kind of way
it was cutthroat all the way down

Shout out to the combos KBR pulled out over the weekend. I know it's all in the name of efficiency but it sure looked like he was swagging on people with some of those hard tag combos.

Meanwhile, Apologyman learned that Marvel is indeed a two player game. Tough luck, there's always Smash 4hahhahahaha no there isn't because he's ass.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";172505684]Justin Wong, the defending champion.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's hard to get more legit than that. Both the previous year's champion and the current best player in the game. Kane read him like a book. I've always thought there was no reason for him to lose to Justin as much as he does, given the advantage the big bodies team should give him over Wolverine.

Zissou

yeah, i just thought that was a silly highlight given that it feels like he should have xp vs lame modoks as i believe NY has at least 2 players of that style w/ him (...though i can't remember their names, haha)
ray and vineeth both eventually warmed up and it showed in the difference between their relatively cold 1st match and super hot 2nd match. it was really clear w/ rayray cuz man he started hulkin' up real fast around the 2nd or 3rd match vs neo
i'm more talking about the folks in the losers bracket moreso than the winners bracket. cross, rf and dizzy all looked really, really cold up to the point of their eliminations which is a huge shame b/c they were some of the biggest movers/shakers in the previous day

I think even some of their sloppiness can be chalked up to lack of modok xp- a lot of otherwise strong players faltered against frutsy (who has massively leveled up since I last saw him play). Who plays modok in NY aside from punisher and moons? Neither of them play missiles which I think really makes lame modok tick. Flash is the only U.S. player I can think of off-hand who plays modok/missiles and he lives elsewhere and doesn't seem to take marvel very seriously.

Ray's loss to Vineeth and subsequent redemption against him in loser's was great to watch though- one of the big highlights of finals day for me.

Meanwhile, Apologyman learned that Marvel is indeed a two player game. Tough luck, there's always Smash 4hahhahahaha no there isn't because he's ass.
He got top 32. That is pretty good in a 2000 person tournament.

Yup, it's hard to get more legit than that. Both the previous year's champion and the current best player in the game. Kane read him like a book. I've always thought there was no reason for him to lose to Justin as much as he does, given the advantage the big bodies team should give him over Wolverine.
I think that Kane just discovered his confidence with the character. His Hulk had pressure unlike any other time I have seen him play. He was even blowing X-Factor just to get in. He KNEW he had to kill the opposing team with Hulk to win. The rest of his team is pretty weak. Massive respect for that kind of play.

Top Bottom