• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Arcade sticks

Best arcade Sitck

• Qanba Obsidian 2

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Qanba Dragon

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • HORI Fighting Stick α

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Nacon Daija Arcade Fight Stick

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • silent qanba q8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Which is the best and most modern in 2024?

obsidian_2_arcade_joystickblack__24849.jpg

Qanba Obsidian 2

Function meets style with the Qanba Obsidian 2. Both designed and tested by fighting game e-athletes for over a decade, Qanba joysticks are the superior choice for leveling up your game. With a stunning exterior built-in tournament-grade components, the Obsidian 2 is a favorite by members of the fighting game community and top e-athletes alike. The Obsidian 2 is equipped with Sanwa Denshi joystick and pushbuttons for the most authentic Japanese arcade style experience, wherever you play. Universally agreed as the standard for tournament play, the Sanwa Denshi components ensure the highest precision so nothing inhibits your A-game.

Features:

• Sony PlayStation Officially Licensed Product
  • PS5, PS4, PC compatibility
  • Sanwa 30mm OBSF buttons
  • Sanwa JLF joystick with swappable tops, ball and bat tops included
  • Thumb screw access for side panels on left and right sides
  • Tournament Lock Switch
  • Full control panel with Touch Pad
  • 3.5mm microphone input with mute button control
  • Anti-slip base pad

Ready to ship (cardboard box):

21.5 x 12.6 x 6.9 inches, 9.6 lbs.

Product:

19.1 x 10.2 x 4.6 inches, 7.39 lbs.

71Okmk9GcuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Qanba Dragon

A joystick crafted with the hardcore player in mind, the Dragon is equal parts tournament-grade joystick and collector’s piece. The name QANBA has been associated with the finest joysticks for years, known for superior performance and unparalleled style. Professional fighting game e-athletes worldwide have regarded the Dragon as one of the finest in the industry.

From the cable to the interior, components to the aesthetics, the Dragon is the creme of the crop in the joystick world.

• Official Sony Licensed Product
  • Precise, Accurate Sanwa Denshi Buttons and Joystick
  • Clickable Touch Pad Mouse on Back
  • Compatible with PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC
  • Compatible with PS5 games that support PS4 joystick
  • X-input and Direct Input Drivers
  • Anti-Slip Padding
  • 3.5mm Headphone Port
  • 3 meters reinforced, braided USB cable

61tk6yu6H4L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

HORI Fighting Stick α

Introducing the HORI Fighting Stick α for PlayStation 5! The fully featured tournament grade Fighting Stick α has brand-new replaceable artwork and the chassis opens up to access the arcade quality parts for easy customization and maintenance. Equipped with HORI’s legendary HAYABUSA lever and HAYABUSA matte finished buttons. Take your fighting game skills to the next level and create four custom profiles through the companion app and switch between profiles on the fly with the Profile Button. The convenient on-board audio and mic controls allow for all focus on the fight. Officially Licensed by Sony.

Features:

• Opens for easy customization and maintenance
  • Replaceable top-panel artwork
  • Features HAYABUSA buttons and stick lever
  • 3.5mm audio jack
  • Create custom profiles through the companion app

71yXJqHY-UL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Nacon Daija Arcade Fight Stick

• Developed in collaboration with pro player Marie-Laure ‘Kayane’ Norindr, the DAIJA Arcade Stick from NACON offers unprecedented performance and comfort for all fighting games.
  • Now synonymous with the eSports scene, Kayane started her career at the young age of 9 and rapidly established herself as a fighting force in games like Dead or Alive, Street Fighter and Soulcalibur. At 20 years old, she entered the Guinness World Records in the category "Most Podium Placements in a Fighting-Game Tournament for a Female". Leveraging Kayane's expertise, the NACON team designed an arcade stick that crushes the competition with a finishing move.
  • Optimised for the needs of professional players, the DAIJA Arcade Stick boasts an innovative design and features, combining gaming comfort and flawless precision.
  • To maintain a wide, uncluttered playing surface and easy access to the main controls, all the PlayStation® navigation buttons are located on the side control panel. It includes a touch pad, platform selection buttons (PS4™/PS3™) and stick configuration (left/right or directional buttons). The DAIJA's textured palm rest and foam-lined underside provide excellent stability and superior gaming comfort.
  • NACON has used SANWA components, favoured by many professional players for their high quality and customisation options. Two stick shapes (ball top and bat top), two faceplates and a screwdriver are all included for even more personalisation options.

QANBA-Joystick-Arcade-silencioso-Q8-para-Android-PC-palo-de-lucha.jpg

Compatible with PC, For the first time Qanba Gravity Mechanical Shafts Switch Silent Lever and Qanba Gravity KS RGB LED Silent buttons are featured, Gives you a fast input experience like never before, There is also a choice of traditional Sanwa styles

silent qanba q8

Last edited:

calistan

I think the Hori and Nacon are the only ones that offer Xbox versions, if that’s important to anyone.

I have an old Hori fight stick EX from the Xbox 360 that I use with a Brook adapter for Series X and PC. Customised it with Sanwa and Seimitsu parts, it’s still going strong. But only six proper buttons.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a Hori I bought when SFV came out, still works on PS5. I did swap out their buttons and stick with Sanwa and it was really simple. I don't like their in-house buttons, the stick is ok though.

I still wish Mad Catz was making TE sticks though.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I have the HORI RAP N Hayabusa for about 5 years. Its a good stick but drop the Hayabusa buttons and perhaps the lever. I ended up modding it to all Sanwa a few years ago, with 2lb and octo. I also removed the final 2 buttons, and put plugs there. Its a true 6 button layout now.

As long as you can mod them easily, most sticks are fine. I would use another spring and octo gate on any stock stick though.

Garibaldi

Holy shit, where do you even start with that? Is it a case of customising every button or is there an accepted standard layout that everyone uses?
It's a standard 8 button arcade stick at its heart. It has four more buttons for the up/down/left/right of the stick and a few more for macros or L3/R3. You can just disable those tho or get the t13 version which doesn't have them.

The stick portion being buttons does take some getting used to admittedly.

Still use my HRAP N hayabusa(hori real arcade pro N). Uses namco noir layout, which is close to the best layout: Sega.

Lever and buttons are custom hori parts. The lever has a shorter throw than the standard sanwa electronics lever that everyone praises.

Voted hori.

If you plan on modding, I'd go with the Daija. Some levers won't fit in the Hori for sure, and you might have similar issues with the Qanba ones as well.

GrayDock

Voted for the qanba obsidian 2 for the looks, but I use a Madcatz SF4 fightstick TE full sanwa for the PS3, padhacked for the PS4 when the SFV came out and them again for PS5 when the SFVI launched.
A good one can last you decades, mine is going strong since 2008!

Also should mention that the Hayabusa buttons on the Hori have a bit too much tension for me. My fingers hurt quite a bit within just a few week of use. If you do end up deciding to mod one of these, I'd get some Qanba Gravity KS buttons. The short throw and padding from the silencers are great for extended gaming. Hayabusa vs. Sanwa for the lever (Hori lever is a Hayabusa) is a bit different, but I think both are just find. Hayabusa has a nice glide due to the smooth pivot, but I find the gate is a bit rigid.

I ended up going with a Seimitsu Nobi Pro lever and full set of Qanba Gravity KS buttons and I regret nothing. Even commisioned a collage and went with a custom washer and new Nobi top. Pretty proud of this one.

D1GK8i2.jpeg

dan76

The Hori VX-SA for the 360 is still one of the best. Zero lag, Vewlix layout and easy to mod. I've got a Seimitsu LS40 in mine and it's great for fighters and shooters, though à Sanwa is probably better for fighters.
A VLX or modded Saturn HSS-0130 are also great. Not a fan of Qanba stuff. It's all pretend.

A.Romero

I got a Nacon Daija a few months ago after doing some research although I couldn't actually try the rest so I had to go by reviews.

Switching the restrictor for a Sanwa octagonal restrictor gate was pretty easy although I'm not really sure if I actually prefer the original one. Build quality is great, I use it mostly on PC and the software works OK.

Haven't had the chance to use it on PS5 yet as I don't really have any fighting games on the platform.

Moonjt9

I have a Qanba Titan and I love it. All Sanwa parts, and it’s so comfortable to use. Perfect weight, and the stick being farther from the buttons is more ergonomical.

Only downside is customizing it is very limited, but I’m partial to the nice clean look of it instead of flashy character art and whatnot.

Kings Field

I have a Quanba Eightarc fusion for more than 10 years that I still use when I boot up the PS3 and 360 that has been rock solid and has been to many locals for MK9 and Injustice.

If I ever decide to play stick for current gen games I’ll buy another Quanba. Have no complaints.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know nothing about arcade sticks but I've been browsing 8bitdo and this looks very nice. I have keyboard from them and it's sick.

calistan

Q5yXaFO.jpeg

this is mine that i modded with a bat top and an octo gate
That's the one I've got. I swapped out the buttons and the stick. Had to cut a hole in the bottom because the Sanwa stick scraped on it, and also cut away some of the plastic beneath the top plate to fit the buttons.

I was considering getting a new one but this still works perfectly. Metal top and bottom plates, so it's super solid.

q7dQV9X.jpeg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
After going lever less, I'd never go back to a stick.

The precision is completely unmatched.

CjYvrJX.jpeg
I don't understand what I'm looking at here.

I have the HORI Fighting Stick α and it's been a revelation. I don't really play fighting games, so I never had too many arcade sticks. But then one day I was playing that newish ninja turtles game, and thought... it might be cool to play with a stick like in my old arcade days when I was a kid. Well, that turned out to be a great thought. I've been revisiting all sorts of 2D / arcade-style games since getting it, and just really loving all these retro-type games I haven't been able to enjoy otherwise with modern controllers etc. I thought I outgrew these types of games, but they've been amazing to get back into.

But by far, what made the purchase worth it in and of itself was.... Vanillaware. Absolutely worth the price of admission. No matter how much I enjoyed the art style and aesthetics of those games, I always bounced off because they never felt good on a controller. This particular stick is fully PS5 compatible (even a touchpad) and FINALLY I was able to get into them. And they are pure fun.

I've even dabbled with some fighters, but I suck too much lol. Either way, was really surprised at how many games were compatible with sticks. And it's one of those rare purchases that I don't regret at all. If anything, I want a better one... wish I could fully customize / design my own tbh.

Last edited:
I don't understand what I'm looking at here.

I have the HORI Fighting Stick α and it's been a revelation. I don't really play fighting games, so I never had too many arcade sticks. But then one day I was playing that newish ninja turtles game, and thought... it might be cool to play with a stick like in my old arcade days when I was a kid. Well, that turned out to be a great thought. I've been revisiting all sorts of 2D / arcade-style games since getting it, and just really loving all these retro-type games I haven't been able to enjoy otherwise with modern controllers etc. I thought I outgrew these types of games, but they've been amazing to get back into.

But by far, what made the purchase worth it in and of itself was.... Vanillaware. Absolutely worth the price of admission. No matter how much I enjoyed the art style and aesthetics of those games, I always bounced off because they never felt good on a controller. This particular stick is fully PS5 compatible (even a touchpad) and FINALLY I was able to get into them. And they are pure fun.

I've even dabbled with some fighters, but I suck too much lol. Either way, was really surprised at how many games were compatible with sticks. And it's one of those rare purchases that I don't regret at all. If anything, I want a better one... wish I could fully customize / design my own tbh.

Buttons replicate the stick - the point being that you can press down, then right as well, and release down the instant you press punch, faster than you can rotate an analogue stick and hit punch. It gives the player an edge (apparently).

Mind you, some moves must be like learning the piano (spinning piledriver for example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom