• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

persongr

What bothers me, although not strictly related to the game, is that i'm unable to find a list of monsters and where to farm them in order to get rid of some side quests. Any suggestions?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What bothers me, although not strictly related to the game, is that i'm unable to find a list of monsters and where to farm them in order to get rid of some side quests. Any suggestions?

On the world map click the touchpad over available missions in cities and it displays a list of monsters that will spawn in that location. Those city missions have endless spawns of whatever monsters are available until you manually extract from the pause menu, so you can farm freely. Sidequest descriptions should tell you what monsters drop whatever items, so all the information you ever need is definitely in the game at your fingertips.

persongr

On the world map click the touchpad over available missions in cities and it displays a list of monsters that will spawn in that location. Those city missions have endless spawns of whatever monsters are available until you manually extract from the pause menu, so you can farm freely. Sidequest descriptions should tell you what monsters drop whatever items, so all the information you ever need is definitely in the game at your fingertips.

Oh my, I'm playing the game for over 20 hours now but never bothered to press the touchpad over a mission, haha. My life just got easier, thanks ;)

Apt101

Oh my, I'm playing the game for over 20 hours now but never bothered to press the touchpad over a mission, haha. My life just got easier, thanks ;)

One of the crew members of the Stone Cloud actually offers this in a line of dialogue the first time one visits a city that has already been liberated/protected, but I can see how a person could easily skip past it. I'm just one of those weird people that reads all of the dialogue and talks to everyone in town/etc in JRPG's. Old habits die hard.

persongr

One of the crew members of the Stone Cloud actually offers this in a line of dialogue the first time one visits a city that has already been liberated/protected, but I can see how a person could easily skip past it. I'm just one of those weird people that reads all of the dialogue and talks to everyone in town/etc in JRPG's. Old habits die hard.

I totally ignored it and now I'm full of "Kill x monsters" quests. Time for some farming then.

Finalow

does this english version include some quests dlc or just stuff like weapons and outfits?
anyone? Iirc they planned to release some sub-stories as free (?) dlcs so I'd assume they're all in this english version but I just wanted to confirm. not sure if they released them all either.

Apt101

anyone? Iirc they planned to release some sub-stories as free (?) dlcs so I'd assume they're all in this english version but I just wanted to confirm. not sure if they released them all either.

I have the English version of the slime collector's edition. As far as I can tell it's just weapons and a few extra maps. The maps didn't really add any additional story, just places to grind for particular items and treasure.

Finally hit the end. What a ride. Defintely one of my favorite games of this year. Somehow, my final team ended up being Terry, Isla, Luc, and JessicaDaGawd.

Loved how the ending was like
WHEN WILL WE SEE YOU GUISE AGAIN when they already confirmed a sequel lol.
Still, corny but enjoyable all the same.

I have some very small gripes. Like accessories being hard to get throughout the entire first run (I mean, you CAN spend the medals to get some of them but it's better to hoard them all on the second run), leveling being a slower pace than I'm used to (even if you get a truckload of skill points per level), and a scant few levels requiring you to sit by the camp and fight it out there.

But overall, I enjoyed my time with it, and I hope Omega Force gets more work like this in the future. They might be my own personal Platinum Games-tier developers.

At any rate, Terry is my next writeup when I'm not getting lazy and can pull myself away from NG+

Hm, the last time I tried to play a Musou was on the PS2 and didn't much care for it. I do like action RPGs though,and I was just about sold on Hyrule Warrirors. Everything I'm seeing/reading about Dragon Quest Heroes has me sold. I hope i'm not disappointed.

I do have a question though, how great does this game look in motion? I tried watching it on a couple Twitch streams but compression makes it hard to tell how the aliasing is.

1upsuper

Started playing last night and I'm having a lot of fun. DQ is my favorite game series, and I can't help but have a stupid grin on my face while I play. There's something really great about seeing all of these DQ monsters moving around in real-time, and the way some of their quirks are translated here, like the Brownies' crit-or-miss attacks, is really charming. Been maining my boy Terry.

B-Dex

No clue either. I've been playing all day today and I have no idea if I'm actually getting the XP/gold boost or not. It says to check the site for details but there isn't shit on the site.

Literally go to any location that isn't a story mission and you're getting double exp. there is a small message that appears in the top right corner that says exp event or something.

Apt101

Literally go to any location that isn't a story mission and you're getting double exp. there is a small message that appears in the top right corner that says exp event or something.

Story areas were saying "rare item" event as well. I found a little glowing crystal in a wall but couldn't do anything with it. Was only able to play an hour tonight before leaving the house.

B-Dex

Story areas were saying "rare item" event as well. I found a little glowing crystal in a wall but couldn't do anything with it. Was only able to play an hour tonight before leaving the house.

Ok I guess any level has it. It will show in a text box as soon as it loads X event on now at the top middle of the screen. It has switched to Rare Item event now for me.

I'm on my first play through and have 100 mini medals now. Should I spend them? I am always worried even in the main DQ games I will spend them wrong. Should I spend them on recipes or the high end weapons/shield?

crinale

I'm on my first play through and have 100 mini medals now. Should I spend them? I am always worried even in the main DQ games I will spend them wrong. Should I spend them on recipes or the high end weapons/shield?

It really depends on whether you want to do NG+, because medal-exchanged weapons don't carry over but medals themselves do.
That being said you can platinum the game on the first round, then concentrate to beat post-game missions those are too difficult to be counted within trophies on third round.

It really depends on whether you want to do NG+, because medal-exchanged weapons don't carry over but medals themselves do.
That being said you can platinum the game on the first round, then concentrate to beat post-game missions those are too difficult to be counted within trophies on third round.

So don't bother with recipes or go after them instead of weapons since they don't carry over? I've noticed I've been getting some recipes on the medal list even without buying them.

Apt101

So don't bother with recipes or go after them instead of weapons since they don't carry over? I've noticed I've been getting some recipes on the medal list even without buying them.

You're probably finding them in missions/drops from enemies. I found several this way.

crinale

For recipes you already have you don't have to buy them using medals. But recipes do carry over so at least they won't be wasted. Just buy those recipes by medals when you can't absolutely find them from monster drops.

crinale

BTW the general rule for NG+ carry over is, that you can't carry over anything you can't sell and still takes up stash slot (to avoid killing your stash obviously). IIRC Metal King's shield was quite strong, can be bought using medals, and you could sell it in Japanese version so it carries over. For such items you can spend medals and they won't be wasted at all.

Raw64life

So apparently this is the deal...

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015...and_youll_get_bonus_experience_and_rare_items

Every week (Saturday) midnight to 12 noon PDT

Bonus EXP campaign – During the event the amount of EXP earned will be increased by 20%!

Every week (Saturday) 12 noon to 11:59 pm PDT

Rare item campaign – During the event the chances of obtaining rare items will be doubled!

Every week (Sunday) midnight to 12 noon PDT

Bonus gold campaign – During the event the amount of gold earned will be increased by 20%!

Every week (Sunday) 12 noon to 11:59 pm PDT

Bonus EXP campaign – During the event the amount of EXP earned will be increased by 20%!

I could tell I wasn't getting anything resembling double XP today while I was playing, so I'm gonna trust this.

Shamdeo

Has anyone had any problems broadcasting on PS4 after a certain blocked cutscene?

Hours later I'm still not able to stream.

broz0rs

Decided to purchase the game right after being impressed by the demo at Target. Hope to play it later tonight.

Apt101

Is it common that Japanese companies aren't caught up on the whole streaming thing? It seems like every time I hear about streaming restrictions it's a Japanese dev and/or publisher.

B-Dex

Now that Luceus is lvl70 these Veteran bosses are manageable.

I think my puff-puff trophy is bugged though. It didn't pop and I know I've done it with every one.

Ravage

Block is OP. Pretty much negates most attacks or makes them do almost no dmg.

These Maya side quests are hard except the final one was a joke. And whoever approved Nera's alt colours should be fired. Hideous.

Does blocking even work against bosses? Unless I'm mistaken, Gigante's attacks are all unblockables.

Been trying to make use of Aurora's Rebuttal whenever possible but I'm starting to feel that skill is absolutely useless :/

I'm still very early in the game. I got the world map and am now in Arba doing some mook fighting. It's endless respawns right so I shouldn't keep going on in hopes of some loot?

B-Dex

Does blocking even work against bosses? Unless I'm mistaken, Gigante's attacks are all unblockables.

Been trying to make use of Aurora's Rebuttal whenever possible but I'm starting to feel that skill is absolutely useless :/

Well big blue is an exception. But everyone else can be blocked and it makes a huge difference. Haven't really dabbled with spell blocking though.

Apt101

I'm still very early in the game. I got the world map and am now in Arba doing some mook fighting. It's endless respawns right so I shouldn't keep going on in hopes of some loot?

Yea, all of those non-quest mission lists in towns you've already finished are just endless spawns.

Abylim

This game is awesome.

A few things. Touchpad when selecting the map you want to go to tells you what monsters are in there. Handy as hell for finding out who is where.

Crit is awesome. Most of my time has near infinite mp now because they get a fair chunk back per crit. I almost always run with terry Jessica and Nera due to buffs and heals they can do.

I'm currently at
Shrine of Scales
how far am I in the game?

So what games does this have major references to? I only got into the franchise this year and played 4 and 5 so far, going to play 6 and 8 next which covers all the playable characters in this, but if there more that would be important?

Got the game a few days ago, my thoughts:

I love it!

Picked it up because I'm a huge Warriors fan, and this one doesn't disappoint. The pace of combat is somewhat slower than Samurai Warriors 4, but that's ok. First I missed Hyper attacks but not anymore. Casting spells is also a cool addition. You can really feel that with each game, they are perfecting the combat.

Also huge compliments to the localization. One of the best since Xenoblade I think, the voice-acting is really good (Yangus and King Dorric are my favorites so far).

Never played a Dragon Quest game and I must say that I really want to get into them now. The art style is really charming and has kind of a Zelda feel to it. Any advice where to start?

My only complaint so far is the hub area. Although I like the concept, it just takes too long to do something. Picking up quests, gear and saving the game feels like a chore. You have to scroll through lots of text to get something done. Could be improved.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So what games does this have major references to? I only got into the franchise this year and played 4 and 5 so far, going to play 6 and 8 next which covers all the playable characters in this, but if there more that would be important?
I'd say Dragon Warrior 3 is essential.

brinstar

You should be fine with those.

Never played a Dragon Quest game and I must say that I really want to get into them now. The art style is really charming and has kind of a Zelda feel to it. Any advice where to start?
I would suggest Dragon Quest VIII, based on what you said you liked in this game. DQ8's art style more closely resembles Dragon Quest Heroes, and Yangus's voice actor is in it too if you get the English-language PS2 version. :)

Top Bottom