• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-On With Halo 5: Guardians: Tech Analysis/Frame-Rate Test [Gold Master Code]

Insane technical achievement for an engine

Interesting point from the video...at distance in large scenes enemies can start animating at 30 fps...wonder how noticeable it will be

Whilst I was aware it was a thing, I never found it hugely noticable while playing. :)

It really is rock solid and gorgeous to boot.

go play Halo 4 on mcc sometime...low poly textures everywhere...very similar visual style but graphics are on a completely different scale.

Yeah i have to admit that i have not really been paying attention to that when i played it for the first time (TMCC version) but you are right about that. Apparently the framerate is also far from a stable 60fps in Halo 4 TMCC according to comments i read here and in general, i guess i just never noticed the bad framedrops then.

Troy

Banned
that hud. so bad..
please stinkles, give us the option to turn off the helmet or make it more transparent ;_;

yay I'm not the only one who would be happy with 30fps like in the old halo games.

Is the HUD the way it is to achieve the great performance we're seeing? If not, then I agree that they need to give us an option to turn that off. It's stupid to have that much screen removed from the gamer.

Is the HUD the way it is to achieve the great performance we're seeing? If not, then I agree that they need to give us an option to turn that off. It's stupid to have that much screen removed from the gamer.

It's not present in the 3rd person driving sections, so it should be possible technically?

60fps cutscenes/movies still look weird. It gives the "soap opera" effect.

No, just no.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

No idea. But I need that real-estate. When they switched from halo 3 HUD to the new halo 5 HUD it was really noticeable. especially because they are transparent elements that frame the helmet HUD.

It's not present in the 3rd person driving sections, so it should be possible technically?

oh yes. You are right. Maybe people will ask for it on halowaypoint after release. Like you said during driving the helmet HUD goes.

Wonko_C

Insane technical achievement for an engine

Interesting point from the video...at distance in large scenes enemies can start animating at 30 fps...wonder how noticeable it will be

YMMV. I'm too sensitive to these kinds of things so from the first video I noticed it right away. The enemies don't even need to be too far away to start animating at a lower framerate. I might sound hyperbolic but even if it won't stop me from playing and enjoying the game it's something that will stick out like a sore thumb and I will never get used to it, I hope they can patch it out. It's like Quake II on the Nintendo 64 all over again.

https://youtu.be/csmw7qnYLf4?t=5m52s

that hud. so bad..
please stinkles, give us the option to turn off the helmet or make it more transparent ;_;

yay I'm not the only one who would be happy with 30fps like in the old halo games.

Is it worse than Halo 4? It never bothered me, but it should not take up too much of the screen.

Will the dynamic resolution be easily noticeable or does that depend on the TV's screen size? I reckon you'll definitely spot it easier on 50 inch and larger compared to smaller screens?

Thanks.

1344x1080 is fine, litte better than 900p. Excellent choice for sustain 60fps.

This is the lowest it goes or is this actually what it is most of the time but can go lower? If the former, that is really nice.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
60fps cutscenes/movies still look weird. It gives the "soap opera" effect.

I feel like I just traveled to the past. This is what some people said when 120hz TV was first a thing.

But these days it doesn't really apply. Most people have adjusted just fine.

Troy

Banned

No, just no.

Yeah you're right. I just watched someone doing the flying section in one of the missions 343 is allowing people to stream and there's no HUD and it still runs at a perfect 60fps. Let us remove the hud, Frankie.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worse than Halo 4? It never bothered me, but it should not take up too much of the screen.

Will the dynamic resolution be easily noticeable or does that depend on the TV's screen size? I reckon you'll definitely spot it easier on 50 inch and larger compared to smaller screens?

maybe somenone can make a comparison picture? Please?

Well the bigger your TV the more you will notice the dynamic resolution. It also depends how far away you sit from your TV

RowdyReverb

30fps for cutscenes is the right call. They need the extra rendering time to bring those terrific character models to life. Also, since you aren't playing, you'll be paying more attention to the details of the scene, so LOD needs to be cranked up. Besides, it's not like the framerate cut would impact your gameplay since it's a cutscene.

I feel every console game that can't run at a rock solid 60fps should employ this kind of tech. 60 frames benefits all games and I will gladly sacrifice a few pixels to get that. Really impressive for 343.

Most of the time. The lower is something close to 720p.

Well damn...it's not the end of the world or anything but the developer shouldn't have said that it would be full 1080p most of the time. Just be honest about it. Ah well.

maybe somenone can make a comparison picture? Please?

Well the bigger your TV the more you will notice the dynamic resolution. It also depends how far away you sit from your TV

55 inch here and i sit about 3.5, almost 4 meters away from it. Heh...at the end of the day, i bet i won't even be noticing it or looking for it, because the campaign is just too fucking awesome and i'll be too busy blasting baddies.

Hell i don't even know how sensative i am to that stufff. Have not been able to directly compare a 900p game to a 1080p game on this tv, or yet at all.

go play Halo 4 on mcc sometime...low poly textures everywhere...very similar visual style but graphics are on a completely different scale.
low poly textures

low poly

textures
----

Also, I look forward to the next video. I am hella-surprised they went for in engine cutscenes though. Happy to see they maintain that tradition.

Trup1aya

My point was that the resolution stats at either end aren't arbitrary, as they should be a direct result strain on the hardware. You can't simply hand wave those as being unimportant.

I don't think anyone claims they are unimportant, but alone they really don't paint a useful picture...

It's much better to take those numbers and incorporate them into an average with maybe even a standard deviation.

If resolution drops to 720p for 10frames over the course of the whole game, how useful would it be to broadcast that number? It would have a neglible effect on the experience...

Not to nitpick, but one thing in the video commentary seemed funny to me:

"Halo 5 holds 60fps without breaking a sweat" - Isn't dynamic resolution the literal equivalent of the console breaking a sweat? lol.

Conduit

Banned
I didn't watch the video, i rather not see anything of the game anymore. On Reddit however someone says 1080p apparetly is a rarity according to DF. If true, i'd find that weird, i recall 343 in a interview saying it would be 1080p most of the time and only going lower when shit was getting hectic. But then again...maybe the game is nothing but hectic, hmmm.

full 1080p remains a bit of the rarity here

https://youtu.be/aKVVcdOTYSY?t=367

Orayn

low poly textures

low poly

textures
----

Also, I look forward to the next video. I am hella-surprised they went for in engine cutscenes though. Happy to see they maintain that tradition.

I guess you could apply that label to... Ugly normal maps? And only be sort of wrong? They're kind of like textures, and derived from something with polys.

lol

Man

"Halo 5 holds 60fps without breaking a sweat" - Isn't dynamic resolution the literal equivalent of the console breaking a sweat? lol.
Not to mention pop-in issues and various low res textures.

It's all about perspective I guess lol.

Troy

Banned

That's not nitpicky at all. And you're 100 percent right. Any time the resolution isn't 1080p, it's getting sweaty. But apparently it doesn't look bad when it happens. I watched Goldy on Twitch play it last night and he couldn't stop raving about how amazing it looked. And he's mainly a PC gamer.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Good choice with the rock-solid 60fps, 343i! The game looks gorgeous, too. One more week!

Yeah...and one sec in that video i already spotted some nasty aliasng on the staircase. It is what it is, definitely not the end of the world. They should have been more upfront about it, something like that 1080p was proving to be a bit challenging, but they claimed the exact opposite.

I wonder how noticeable the dynamic resolution is...

Is it dynamic during the arena multiplayer too?

Yes, same here. if it's not that noticeable at all, i'd say it's a very worthy tradeoff. But again, i also think we'll be too busy enjoying the hell out of the campaign and/or MP to worry about that nor notice it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah you're right. I just watched someone doing the flying section in one of the missions 343 is allowing people to stream and there's no HUD and it still runs at a perfect 60fps. Let us remove the hud, Frankie.

There's no helmet-HUD in multiplayer. And no, it was not done to reduce resource load, it was purely a design decision. Also, you get used to it in the SP, at least most people do. I got used to it quick in Halo 4, and if I remember that thread discussion on the topic, a lot of people did too.

I wonder how noticeable the dynamic resolution is...

Is it dynamic during the arena multiplayer too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKVVcdOTYSY#t=5m48s

There's no helmet-HUD in multiplayer. And no, it was not done to reduce resource load, it was purely a design decision. Also, you get used to it in the SP, at least most people do. I got used to it quick in Halo 4, and if I remember that thread discussion on the topic, a lot of people did too.

They will hopefully patch in an option.

allan-bh

Yeah...and one sec in that video i already spotted some nasty aliasng on the staircase. It is what it is, definitely not the end of the world. They should have been more upfront about it, something like that 1080p was proving to be a bit challenging, but they claimed the exact opposite.

This dynamic resolution up to 1080p is probably just for marketing. In practice will be lower 95% of the time.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That video was odd. Like they praised it until the last 30 seconds and then said here at the issues but that's all for now.

Stevey

Great news.
Seem to remember the MP Beta being 720/60 so its better than that and that was still enjoyable.

Helmet hud: off.
Anyone who played the campaign even notice it or do you just focus on what you're doing? Obviously watching videos all I notice is the helmet and can't keep my eyes off of it.

viHuGi

Banned
So full 1080P is a rarity? too bad, though must compliment them for their dedication to 60 fps, even though I think the game would benefit more from nicer visuals and a solid 30, but this is my opinion and I'm obviously in the miniority here.

This is a shooter made with eSports in mind, these days competing with Black Ops 3 isnt easy since Cod dominates Console eSports so 343 made the right approach, rock solid 60fps and Arena Mode with skilled ranks and Halo Champioship starting at 1milion prize.

They are doing everything right, Halo is back!

Glass

I have the same issue as them with the HUD design, the helmet is way too over bearing, but I suspect it's done to help improve performance. Everything else looks great, I can't wait to see what people come up with when they get used to the spartan abilities and how smooth it will all look.

Trago

343 deserve some serious props for making performance a priority over visuals. And this is a heavily marketed AAA game too. Really good stuff.

I didn't watch the video, i rather not see anything of the game anymore. On Reddit however someone says 1080p apparetly is a rarity according to DF. If true, i'd find that weird, i recall 343 in a interview saying it would be 1080p most of the time and only going lower when shit was getting hectic. But then again...maybe the game is nothing but hectic, hmmm.

What i am about to say is only based on the E3 video and the b-roll video after that, but that didn't look like a world of difference graphically compared with Halo 4 from TMCC. That game was 60fps too (except for some framedrops here and there, right?) So i guess the real big difference is that these levels are indeed MUCH bigger and are simply much more heavy on the action?

Again, i have not watched any other videos, none of the first three missions, so it's very possible that it looks a lot better than Halo 4 in those though. But if not, i'm just surprised that we get things like 30fps in some animations and those AF...''issues''. No disrespect meant towards the developers at all by the way.

Here was the quote, they were creative with their wording. "In much of the campaign you may be playing at 1080p". They say it "may" be 1080p in "much" of the campaign.

timlot

Banned
Looking good. Dynamic resolution works great with a game like Halo because the environments basically take place in a fantasy world. Its an artist interpretation. Maybe they wanted that sand to look blurry or the trees to be static. Games that take place in a real world environment like for example Forza 6. Need to be a 1080p or greater because you are trying to mimic a real environment people can relate to. Either way 60fps is the way to go if you can make it work.

Shin-Ra

Less than 30 duplicate frames over 30 minutes of footage?

Jesus christ 343, that's some crazy optimisation right there.
Crazy optimisation:

Dynamic sub-1080p resolution
Poor texture filtering
Aggressively close LoD pops and dithered fades (even then you don't always get a high quality mesh)
Half-framerate distant enemy animation
Low-res prebaked lighting
Realtime shadows fading or popping in/out just a few feet in front of you
Low quality motion/impact blur (highly visible steps, even in motion)

And some straight up low quality textures not fit for a current-gen AAA game.

Halo5elevatex.png
Halo5banshadow.png
Halo560.png

That video was odd. Like they praised it until the last 30 seconds and then said here at the issues but that's all for now.
They're getting the positive clear (steady 60fps) out of the way before hitting with the clear sacrifices made to get there.

Top Bottom