• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Grounded Tech Review - Problems on PS5 and Switch - All Consoles Tested

Loxus

You're damn right!

@Lysandros and O onQ123 / Loxus Loxus - What technical strengths of the Xbox design over the PS5s is creating this delta in resolution and performance? If you could explain for us Layman's that would be v. much appreciated.
Could be DirectX API and all 52 Compute Units being fully utilized. Not to mention the higher bandwidth of the Series X. The list goes on.

Last edited:
I wish DF would wait for a couple of patches before doing these things, at least give the devs time to work out any bugs so the comparison could be more fair.
No way the PS5 should be so bad here.
Or at least if they are going to do these go back and do an update after a couple of patches. This would be fair to both xbox and PS since its often the xbox which needs the patch on release.
These sort of videos just lead to discussions that are fundamentally flawed. I do like these sort of videos to be clear but you cant seriously discuss something when its based on flawed source material.

avin

^ Sure you can discuss it. No one is taking this result seriously as meaning anything about relative console ability. Based on past results, this one obviously reflects a work in progress. It will almost certainly change down the road. Discussing it sensibly isn't a bad thing.

And I agree, it would be correct for DF to go back and update their assessment when future patches drop.

avin

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wish DF would wait for a couple of patches before doing these things, at least give the devs time to work out any bugs so the comparison could be more fair.
Or at least if they are going to do these go back and do an update after a couple of patches. This would be fair to both xbox and PS since its often the xbox which needs the patch on release.
These sort of videos just lead to discussions that are fundamentally flawed. I do like these sort of videos to be clear but you cant seriously discuss something when its based on flawed source material.

It's an academic discussion at best, games get patched these days so frequently that a game releasing today will be in a much different state 6 months from now.

See examples like Callisto Protocol which received 2, 3 patches within 10 days of release.

Topher

Gold Member
You're damn right!

@Lysandros and O onQ123 / Loxus Loxus - What technical strengths of the Xbox design over the PS5s is creating this delta in resolution and performance? If you could explain for us Layman's that would be v. much appreciated.

You are asking a question that was answered four years ago. Think it is become fairly obvious since then that "on paper" technical strengths do not always translate into games. In this case, clearly we are dealing with a subpar port.

It's an academic discussion at best, games get patched these days so frequently that a game releasing today will be in a much different state 6 months from now.

See examples like Callisto Protocol which received 2, 3 patches within 10 days of release.
Yeah I think game these days get released in what would have been beta stage 10 years ago. It's a shame though since these DF videos tend to never see updates so the performance for many is frozen at this level. It doesn't really matter of course but you get people who will quote these performance figures forever now.

Surely the near parity at the moment between series S and ps5 is more a statement of the ps4 boost mode being how the game is run on ps5. Or even in ps4 pro mode 😬

Of course you can’t discount the extra 100mhz on the multi thread mode of the cpu. Being a vital piece of this puzzle 😁

Or the tools are finally ready
Or the hidden gpu in all Xboxes has finally being turned on (see black silicon, ssshh)
Or something, something Ricky was right along and the ps5 would have gotten away with. If it hadn’t been for you pesky kidz

🤣

King Dazzar

You're damn right!

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Do we have any idea why? Is this a much smaller studio handling the ports than the one that did Sea of Thieves?

avin

well, MS gave their xbox division like 70 billions $, its a lot of money so maybe they have to give back some each month or so, by saving here and there they may get more money so some games will be ported good others not, but xbox division will have a hard time convincing PS players to play their games instead of helldivers 2 specially if they are bad ports, maybe they should have waited to release it and improve it but who knows how desperate are they

CamHostage

Youtube unfortunately doesn't have a great process for replacing published media, which is kind of a shame; even when DF does an update, the old content usually has exponentially more traffic from being hotly topical and also is plastered all over media sharing places like GAF, so chances are you'd never see it even if they did update.

I'd actually like to see YT add something like a specific "News Type" media page where new videos could play on the same URL (maybe like a chooseable track, so the old content could still exist for comparison's sake.) That would help alleviate the problem and encourage better publishing tactics, and it wouldn't really be that complex a build on YT aside from adding a new content stream system (using most parts of the existing video page.)

...Otherwise, it's better for DF to be timely than perfect. There is no indicator when a game like this will (if ever; it's already been through multiple optimization passes on Xbox, and the differences in the platforms would already have been part of the porting consideration,) be patched to make the difference here. And that's true for most comparison content DF publishes; maybe the video will be made moot by updates in two weeks, a month, three months, half a year, 18 months, maybe...

Top Bottom