• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off: Need for Speed

RedRum

Banned
You're definitely right, DF. Business as usual with prioritizing resolution over getting a smooth, locked FPS product.

warheat

Yeah, what's your point? It does look worse. It's blurrier.

A few more comparisons:

W1dCNqL.jpg

Hmm maybe it's just me, but I don't see how it's blurrier especially the first picture, the X1 version has more detailed textures but overall IQ is actually blurrier compared to PS4 version due to lower res (jaggies).

thelastword

Banned
PS4 looks blurrier on roads when driving as the PS4 is missing a layer, sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The whole game is like this, no one is looking for a special bit of gritty parking lot.
a69b.jpg

b69b.jpg

I'd give the Xbox the nod here due to road textures. Whilst even in this crappy bitrate youtube vid I can tell the PS4 render resolution is higher, the whole point is wet city streets, not much good missing textures and that whole "next gen look".
The more I look at this the more I think the PS4 version is more accurate, this is almost akin to the SSS on skin on snake vs the rougher looking skin on the XB1. Of course the 1080p rez of the PS4 version just makes everything looks smoother.

Everything that's rougher does not mean better quality, it's similar to the coarse sand in Journey on PS3 vs more dense looking particles(pixels) on account of the higher rez of the PS4 version, perhaps the devs can weigh in as to what they were going for. I see some of the textures and reflections on the XB1 as more of an artifact of a lower resolution, all the PP does not help either. All in all I find that the PS4 version more accurate.

As opposed to the DF author speaking of the PC version as superior ahead of it's release, I'd actually like to see what the PC version looks like in those scenes. Was there a Beta on PC as well? Do we have any shots of it, if so?......

T.O.P

Banned
Reminds MGSV situation, when lack of SSS gives more pronounced (and uglier) bump mapping

That looks ugly as fuck but lack of SSS or whateaver, here it just makes it look nicer, one version looks like it's almost missing details on the road, it doesn't look as good

b69b.jpg

c0de

PS4 looks blurrier on roads when driving as the PS4 is missing a layer, sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The whole game is like this, no one is looking for a special bit of gritty parking lot.
a69b.jpg

b69b.jpg

I'd give the Xbox the nod here due to road textures. Whilst even in this crappy bitrate youtube vid I can tell the PS4 render resolution is higher, the whole point is wet city streets, not much good missing textures and that whole "next gen look".

I expect a wall of text why the ps4 version still looks better.
Edit: well, there it is.

Noobcraft

I expect a wall of text why the ps4 version still looks better.

The more I look at this the more I think the PS4 version is more accurate, this is almost akin to the SSS on skin on snake vs the rougher looking skin on the XB1. Of course the 1080p rez of the PS4 version just makes everything looks smoother.

Everything that's rougher does not mean better quality, it's similar to the coarse sand in Journey on PS3 vs more dense looking particles(pixels) on account of the higher rez of the PS4 version, perhaps the devs can weigh in as to what they were going for. I see some of the textures and reflections on the XB1 as more of an artifact of a lower resolution, all the PP does not help either. All in all I find that the PS4 version more accurate.

As opposed to the DF author speaking of the PC version as superior ahead of it's release, I'd actually like to see what the PC version looks like in those scenes. Was there a Beta on PC as well? Do we have any shots of it, if so?......

How did you miss it?

T.O.P

Banned

Screenshot-Original.png

#inaccuratewetroads

KKRT00

Wow...

thelastword

Banned
Wich version are you talking about?

Corbis-RF245610.jpg

road-reflections-1.jpg
That's not exactly a one to one comparison, but perhaps you and chromatic can check the candyland video again and observe the road when the car is travelling. Look at how harsher even the driving line looks because of the lower resolution. Harsher (meaning in your face and disjointed, not blur). Look at the screen compare Chromatic posted, the top one, it almost looks like these are particles effects on the XB1 version when these are just reflected light sources hitting the tarmac. Everything looks harsher on the XB1 mainly due to the lower rez, but the film grain and PP effects accentuates it a bit as well.

t59b.jpg

This here is not artifacts of a lower resolution

The previous shots in motion show missing textures on PS4 on the road. I posted it to show you it's not just the parking lot but on the road too. Whether you like or don't like the effect of textures in motion causing a bit grain in irrelevant.

I wonder if this is intended as deeper pool of water, in that case the smooth surface is a correct way to render the surface. (reason why Second Son had vertex normals as well as normal mapped normals in G-Buffer.)

I cant believe this was serious. really?

Asphalt is supposed to be rough. X1 looks like Asphalt, PS4 version looks like Marble.
Higher Res means details should be sharper, not smoother, When you watch a 720p video vs 1080P video the first thing on a face you notice is pores on the skin, and the lack of in the 720p version.

The devs did say "This decision on PC gives us the necessary development time to increase the visuals that we can deliver on PC. Perhaps DF is going off that. I guess you could interpret that another way.

adelante

Damn....

thelastword

Banned
Ok, perhaps Ghost Games can weigh in like they did when the Rivals article went up on Eurogamer.....Maybe DF can contact them on these (graphical differences). This is just how I see it based on what I'm seeing from comparison sites atm.

You're the best dude. *claps*

hesido

Xbox One asphalt looks better, end of story. There are no two ways about it. This is not the SSS situation, not taking the bait.

Dude is so bias he sees what he wants to see.
*biased
Unless the mistake was done on purpose (I know it has some sort of meme)

More edits just because I can:
A man's face shouldn't look like asphalt.

An asphalt should look like asphalt.

That's the reality with asphalt. You don't have SSS on it. (I'm not saying PS4 asphalt has SSS on it, in case one could be inclined to think like that, it's just missing that rather essential normal map)

Chobel

539.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DARK! Speaking of which...

You never answered my one PM to you about Until Dawn btw, is the auido/video sync correct in that one gamersyde video?
A/V sync is very good in the game. I haven't noticed anything odd. The game looks phenomenal btw, I think you'd love it. It's like a moving gallery of what KZ engine is capable of, more so than even KZ:SF.
Yes, the performance is often below 30fps, but it's the kind of game where it hardly matters, and fixed camera angles make it less jarring too.

Being as colorful as it is and having so many effects, may even nudge it past TO1886 as the best looking game to me. But it does have worse framerate and image quality.

A beautiful game and I loved the beta but unfortunately the only online killed a buy for me. I do do not invest in games only for companies to shutdown the servers a few years later rendering my disc useless.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
This looks like a pc only buy for me, definitely will be much better at 60fps with a higher resolution plus some effects turned off.

Kezen

Banned
This looks like a pc only buy for me, definitely will be much better at 60fps with a higher resolution plus some effects turned off.

They should have enough time for a great PC version.
I expect it to scale higher visually and fully support 60fps+ framerates.

I assume Ghost Games are not handling the PC version though, most likely outsourced.
It might not be a bad thing considering Ghost Games did not understand much this PC gaming thing with Rivals, better leave it to professionals who actually get what PC versions should be.

thelastword

Banned
I tweeted Andreas Brinck, rendering programmer at Ghost Games, hopefully he gets back to me soon. If it is an issue they need to fix, I guess he'll be a perfect person to receive such information.

Wich version are you talking about?

Corbis-RF245610.jpg

road-reflections-1.jpg
exactly.

Reminds MGSV situation, when lack of SSS gives more pronounced (and uglier) bump mapping

One word.

No.

The more physically accurate model (in this case xb1 for some odd reason) has the normals showing. SSR and light specular being affected by normals is a desirable result for realism.

As frostbites most recent tech slides show (here posted in accordance with increasing realism and approaching the ground truth):

1. Variable Glossy SSR
frostbite01bwudg.jpg

2. Contact hardening
frostbite021duiy.jpg

3. Elongation and distortion
frostbite03jxuxa.jpg

4. Affected by surface normals
frostbite04fzu7x.jpg

A/V sync is very good in the game. I haven't noticed anything odd. The game looks phenomenal btw, I think you'd love it. It's like a moving gallery of what KZ engine is capable of, more so than even KZ:SF.
Yes, the performance is often below 30fps, but it's the kind of game where it hardly matters, and fixed camera angles make it less jarring too.

Being as colorful as it is and having so many effects, may even nudge it past TO1886 as the best looking game to me. But it does have worse framerate and image quality.

I would definitely like to see it in person at some point.

Perhaps you could answer my quesiton as well:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_until_dawn_the_analyst-35452_en.html

Is that the a/v sync as in ingame?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looking at that Until Dawn clip, it does appear to be slightly out of sync. The game, as it appears on my display, does not share that issue. No idea what's going on. You can even see in YouTube videos that it syncs up better. I'll have to ask about that capture. I think the expressions are so over the top that falling just a tiny bit out of sync ruins the effect.

Shredderi

Better road textures definitely makes the game look better to me. I wonder why they took such an important texture layer out from ps4 version.

hesido

Better road textures definitely makes the game look better to me. I wonder why they took such an important texture layer out from ps4 version.

It's not only a separate texture, but a separate shader step. Hoping that's just a glitch and not #priceof1080pOnPS4

Javin98

Banned
Goddamn, that post is on a whole new level of stupidity (You know which one I mean). Normal maps are clearly missing on roads in the PS4 version, it is not smoother or anything. This is in no way comparable to the SSS situation we saw in MGSV. Hopefully it was just a bug and can be patched in easily. And if it was, I wonder if thelastword will backpedal and say "now the road textures are clearly better" or stick with his stance of "SSS" on roads is more realistic.

VGA222

Banned
I tbh am not sure. I think it would come out with the same result, it would just have had to spend more processing time to get that result (larger starting image).

Well any ppaa that uses edge detection is going to have more trouble detecting edges after they have been blurred by an upscale.

Looking at that Until Dawn clip, it does appear to be slightly out of sync. The game, as it appears on my display, does not share that issue. No idea what's going on. You can even see in YouTube videos that it syncs up better. I'll have to ask about that capture. I think the expressions are so over the top that falling just a tiny bit out of sync ruins the effect.

Hrm... I should look at some YT footage then.
Well any ppaa that uses edge detection is going to have more trouble detecting edges after they have been blurred by an upscale.

Aye! I did not even think of that... for some reason my brain was just htinking nearest neighbor or something. Hah.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
t59b.jpg

The previous shots in motion show missing textures on PS4 on the road. I posted it to show you it's not just the parking lot but on the road too. Whether you like or don't like the effect of textures in motion causing a bit grain in irrelevant.

As a PS4 owner I agree with you. The Xbox One version roads do look better. The PS4 version seems to be missing a layer.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I never noticed myself, roads looked pretty detailed to me on PS4.
it's interesting as to why they would do that.

hesido

Ghost Games have got in touch with this comment about our article, specifically about missing detail on the PS4 version of the game: "We're aware of the missing road detail in some areas of the world and are addressing this in an upcoming patch."

Digital Foundry update on the missing road detail. I'm sending a sensible chuckle to people who thought it was due to higher resolution and better rendering.

thelastword

Banned
Well, I tweeted them about it and linked the DF article in both instances, So it's good that they are addressing the issue. Everything is not about a war though. I'll look forward to seeing what they improve and how pronounced it was in the first place.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I would definitely like to see it in person at some point.

Perhaps you could answer my quesiton as well:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_until_dawn_the_analyst-35452_en.html

Is that the a/v sync as in ingame?
I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I'm almost 100% sure that I haven't noticed anything like that big loss of A/V sync in the game. Especially in that scene, his expressions are so elaborate, that I'm sure I'd notice if it was even slightly off - as it's pretty jarring in that video.

Caayn

Well, I tweeted them about it and linked the DF article in both instances, So it's good that they are addressing the issue. Everything is not about a war though. I'll look forward to seeing what they improve and how pronounced it was in the first place.
Didn't you just say that it was an artefact of the lower resolution? And that the PS4 version's tarmac was superior? What caused it to change your mind?

Head.spawn

Surprised to see the Xbox having better looking anything, despite being lower in resolution.

t59b.jpg

Magic.

thelastword

Banned
Didn't you just say that it was an artefact of the lower resolution? And that the PS4 version's tarmac was superior? What caused it to change your mind?
That's what it looked like to me, but since the video samples was so small and the area of the comparison pic so isolated I wanted to get more insight, hence why I contacted the devs. I'd love to see a comparison post patch though.

Digital Foundry update on the missing road detail. I'm sending a sensible chuckle to people who thought it was due to higher resolution and better rendering.
It's nice that they are going to fix it, but I don't understand how could they launch the PS4 version without those textures. How could they miss it?
The tinfoil hat owner in me thinks that It's like some odd kind of parity. Blue system gets 1080p but green system gets better textures, so there is no definitive version and nobody feels "2nd class".

Top Bottom